Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trout

Started by clutch, March 04, 2013, 02:47:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

What's everyone's oppinion on how the Halo's have handled him so far. First moving him from Center to Left Field when he wants to play CF and now only rewarding his play last season with about a $20K raise.

Did they spend themselves into a spot where they couldn't afford to pay maybe the best player in baseball? If that's the case, I think I would have passed on signing Hamilton if I were them. This kid is their future. They don't want to piss him off to the point of him not signing with them in 2 years when his contract is up.

Crazy to think that Vernon Wells is making 40 times what Trout will make this season.

bsking

First, he's team controlled through 2017.  The next 2 years is just before arbitration.

It's an interesting situation that happens every year, this is just the most blatant case ever really.

Honestly, I'm sure the Halos have at least thrown out some feelers to his agent for what it would take to restructure his deal and get him signed through somewhere around 2022.  That number may just be too high.  He won't get arbitration till 2015 so his earnings look something like this:
2013: 500k
2014: 500k
2015: 20 mil ish (probably)
2016: 20 mil ish
2017: 20 mil ish
2018:  He would likely sign the largest contract ever, around 30 mil for 10 years.  (of course, this assumes that he will continue to improve from his rookie year.  A lot of IFs.

So it's really your choice of something like:
5 years for 61mil then a bidding war in FA
10 years at 200 mil and assume all the risk of injuries and slumps

I don't think either is really a BETTER option.  They both have risks.  It's all whether you feel like his career trajectory is reflective on his rookie season.  If yes, try for option 2.  If not or not sure, go with option 1.

bsking

It's a really good debate though that doesn't have a right answer.

clutch

I didn't realize he was team controlled through 2017. It's going to be interesting to me how this all plays out though, assuming he continues to be the player that everyone thinks he will.

Just strange to see a player who got rookie of the year, and honestly probably should have gotten MVP, not really be rewarded for it. There's that chance that they are playing with fire. I really don't think he wanted to be moved to LF for one thing, but a 20k raise is pretty much an insult. I expected them to at least get him to the 750k - 1 mil range for the next couple of seasons. I actually think him and the agent would have been fine with that considering they won't want to lock him down long term just yet since his value should increase.

I do know one thing, if everything goes as planned, his contract is going to be absolutely ridiculous in a few years. The 250 mil contracts are going to look like chump change to him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2013, 08:55:56 pm
I do know one thing, if everything goes as planned, his contract is going to be absolutely ridiculous in a few years. The 250 mil contracts are going to look like chump change to him.
Hamilton's contract will be over in 2017 so they will have some serious cash available to give Trout the biggest contract in MLB history.  I could see him getting getting 30-35 a year easy.  His contract will probably be between 7-10 years as well.

pigture perfect

What they have done is disrespect him. Players don't forget things like this.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 04, 2013, 09:00:45 pm
What they have done is disrespect him. Players don't forget things like this.

They don't forget it, but they forgive it if they are offered enough. I'm sure it will still be a bidding war between the usual teams.

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 04, 2013, 09:00:16 pm
Hamilton's contract will be over in 2017 so they will have some serious cash available to give Trout the biggest contract in MLB history.  I could see him getting getting 30-35 a year easy.  His contract will probably be between 7-10 years as well.

I never did see the numbers on Hamiltons contract. What were they?

I wonder if they are regretting loading up Albert's contract on the back end yet.

clutch

It still blows my mind that Vernon freaking Wells will make 40x what Trout does this year. That's just the way of the MLB though. Crazy.

Ray Piggers

Just like Bobby Bonilla is the highest paid outfielder for the Mets.. Baseball contracts can be crazy!
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2013, 08:55:56 pm

Just strange to see a player who got rookie of the year, and honestly probably should have gotten MVP, not really be rewarded for it. There's that chance that they are playing with fire. I really don't think he wanted to be moved to LF for one thing, but a 20k raise is pretty much an insult. I expected them to at least get him to the 750k - 1 mil range for the next couple of seasons.

Agreed. I realize the Angels were under no obligation to pay him any more than the minimum, but I thought they'd throw him a bone for '13, similar to Clutch's 750k - 1 mil estimate above.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on March 04, 2013, 11:57:57 pm
Just like Bobby Bonilla is the highest paid outfielder for the Mets.. Baseball contracts can be crazy!

Bonilla's contract was brilliant. So rare to see athletes thinking ahead like he did on that.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2013, 10:41:44 pm
I never did see the numbers on Hamiltons contract. What were they?

I wonder if they are regretting loading up Albert's contract on the back end yet.
It was a 5/125 deal and it breakdowns like this:

-  400K donated each year on June 1st to Hamilton's charity
-  10 million signing bonus
-  15 million each of the next 2 seasons
-  23 million in 2015
-  30 million the last 2 years

bsking

Quote from: clutch on March 05, 2013, 12:12:00 pm
Bonilla's contract was brilliant. So rare to see athletes thinking ahead like he did on that.

It truly was.  It's good to see a guy with a head on his shoulders.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on March 05, 2013, 03:33:07 pm
It truly was.  It's good to see a guy with a head on his shoulders.

If all athletes would think like that their wouldn't be so many that are broke 3-4 years after they retire. There is absolutely no reason for any of those guys to be broke. But hey, who cares about having money in the future, got to have a couple 250K cars right now and a $10 mil house that they never stay in because they are on the road half the year.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: clutch on March 05, 2013, 12:12:00 pm

Well, of course. Most are more worried about "right now". Kudos to Bobby and his agent.

Here's a great article about this. Didn't know Bret Saberhagen had a similar arrangement. Far less, but still.. Smart.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703426004575339013108198050.html
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on March 06, 2013, 04:33:23 am
Well, of course. Most are more worried about "right now". Kudos to Bobby and his agent.

Here's a great article about this. Didn't know Bret Saberhagen had a similar arrangement. Far less, but still.. Smart.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703426004575339013108198050.html

Which is so stupid considering how nice they could still live "right now" while also setting themselves up to live great for the rest of their life. They should have some kind of presentation over this for rookies.

bsking

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/should-the-angels-have-offered-more-to-mike-trout.html

Here's a synopsis of the happenings.  If Trout truly asked for a million, I can't believe the Angles didn't give that.  500k for a good relationship with their future and some good PR?  That's a bargain.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on March 09, 2013, 09:26:47 am
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/should-the-angels-have-offered-more-to-mike-trout.html

Here's a synopsis of the happenings.  If Trout truly asked for a million, I can't believe the Angles didn't give that.  500k for a good relationship with their future and some good PR?  That's a bargain.

You would think. Just seems like a no brainer to me.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Bonilla's contract was sheer genius. I'm not sure if it was his or his agent's doing (I haven't read about it in-depth), but whoever did it really thought ahead of the curve.

Regarding Trout, obviously his new contract in '17 will make him forgive/forget him being slighted now. Money does that. However, the Angels surely are smart enough to know to NOT try and low-ball him. I feel like this is a one-offer type deal. If LAA throws a contract at him that isn't where Trout likes, you better believe he's on to the next one. If a team slights you once, it's understandable to a point. Twice? You shut down talks with them. Especially looking at how they're (over)paying these superstars who are about to enter the twilight of their careers. And like you guys have mentioned, this isn't just a servicable starter, this kid (as much as I hate to use this term) is about as much as a sure-thing great as you can get.
ched come back pls