Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VI

Started by Hogtropolis™, April 04, 2012, 09:54:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny cash

Furcal started this party right with a blast to left center. Cards get 3 in first.

The Boar War

7-0 Cards in the sixth.  Guess I was wrong about the pitcher's duel.

pigture perfect

9-6 going to the bottom of the 7th. Not much of a pitchers duel. What can you say about Lynn though. Left after 5 and hadn't given up a run and is still in line for the win. Is it too early to start campaigning for the CY.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Boar War

Cards win 9-6.  Lynn looked good allowing 3 hits in his 6th win of the season.  Romero came in for the sixth inning and gave up 6 runs without recording an out.

Craig made an awkward movement after covering a ground ball at first.  He played the rest of the game but had a slight limp.  I don't expect to see him in the lineup tommorrow.

jbell96

May 08, 2012, 10:47:37 am #154 Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:50:32 am by jbell96
Romero should've gotten the hook after two guys got on after the 2 run homer by Ransom. Salas was shaky as well, but at least he was able to strike out the side and hold the lead. Lynn had thrown 91 pitches through 5 so I had no problem with Matheny taking him out, especially with a 7-0 lead.

Just read the game wrap from the Post Dispatch and Craig said he'd be available tonight. I'm willing to bet he sits as a precaution.

The Boar War

Tonight's lineup:  Jay, Beltran, Holiday, Craig, Freese, Molina, Schumaker, Descalso, and Westbrook

Looks like there's no issue with Craig's knee.  That's a big sigh of relief.

1dog

Beltran having a helluva night. What a pick up

johnny cash

Quote from: 1dog on May 08, 2012, 09:15:05 pm
Beltran having a helluva night. What a pick up
yes he is, he has always impressed me. He seems to be back the way he was with the Astros. Glad he is on our team.

hoghappy

CB 4 MVP. Wow what a night for him.

The Boar War

May 08, 2012, 11:09:36 pm #159 Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:12:47 pm by The Boar War
Cardinals win 6-1.  Great night for Beltran.  The tandem of Descalso at ss and Schumaker at 2nd looked pretty reliable.

I'm not sure what's going on with Mitchell Boggs but he looked scared to death when he came out of the bull pen.  I'm glad he was able to dig himself out but he looked really shaky in the ninth inning.

Yadi was crossed up on a pitch and took one on the wrist.  He was pulled immediately.  Hope everything's allright with him.

johnny cash

Lets get our first sweep of the season tomorrow. Hope Yadi is ok.

The Boar War

Quote from: johnny cash on May 08, 2012, 11:15:23 pm
Lets get our first sweep of the season tomorrow. Hope Yadi is ok.

Matheny says the wrist will be sore but the x rays show that the wrist is "pretty clean" (meaning no breaks or splintering). 

pigture perfect

If Yadira is hurt, I wonder if Matheny could be a player/manager. Magic # is 128.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Let's sweep those D backs.

clutch

Beltran has been a surprise to me. Same as Berkman was last season. Seems the Cardinals have a good streak going of bringing in older players who look like they are on the downslide in their career and having them peak again. Even before Berk and Beltran I remember guys like Larry Walker coming in and Will Clark being pretty productive.

pigture perfect

You're exactly right clutch. They do a great job of getting that missing pie e every year.

Oliver

Quote from: clutch on May 09, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
Beltran has been a surprise to me. Same as Berkman was last season. Seems the Cardinals have a good streak going of bringing in older players who look like they are on the downslide in their career and having them peak again. Even before Berk and Beltran I remember guys like Larry Walker coming in and Will Clark being pretty productive.

Seems like Beltran likes playing in the NL Central.  He certainly didn't seem to like the East or West coast very much. 

The Boar War

May 09, 2012, 09:08:43 pm #167 Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:40:19 pm by The Boar War
Tonight's lineup:

Furcal, Beltran, Holliday,Craig, Freese, Green, Robinson, Cruz, Lohse

As expected Yadi's being held out.

Edit

First sweep of the season.  Card's win 7-2 due to a 4 hit night for Furcal, a 2 run pinch hit double by Carpenter in the fifth, and a huge top of the ninth (with a two run double from Holliday and a 2 run homerun from Allen Craig) .

Marte looked good in a three up three down 7th inning.

I'm not sure what's going on with Mitchell Boggs.  He looks like his confidence is shattered.  This game was tailor made to boost his confidence (protecting a 5 run lead) but he had another poor outing in the ninth where he loaded the bases and failed to get an out (admittedly one of those hits was a mistake by the center fielder (Robinson).  Motte came in and didn't allow another hit.

pigture perfect

What I expected to be a weakness this year has turned out to be a strength. I thought our pitching would be way down from where it has been with Carp out and Waino still on the mend as well as Dave Duncan being gone.

Our starting pitching has been awesome. Lohse, Westbrook and Lynn have been fabulous. Garcia has been good and Waino is coming on. Carp coming back is likely to send us to #12 in 12.

jbell96

Carp is progressing well, but he probably won't be back until after the All Star break. He hasn't even started throwing yet. With the way we've been playing so far there is zero reason to rush him back right now.

johnny cash

Loshe, Lynn, and Westbrook have shocked me. Hope all can keep the momentum and take at least 2 of 3 from Atlanta this weekend.

pigture perfect

Rumor also has it that Roy Oswalt wants to sign mid season with us being one of three teams on his wish list. Our offense seems to be fine so far.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 11, 2012, 12:56:17 pm
Rumor also has it that Roy Oswalt wants to sign mid season with us being one of three teams on his wish list. Our offense seems to be fine so far.

If so, I hope the Cardinal magic rubs off on him and he turns into the Roy Oswalt of old like Beltran, Berkman, etc.

The Boar War

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 11, 2012, 12:56:17 pm

I would love to have him but I wonder who would move.  Lohse and Westbrook have full no trade clauses in their contract.  I'm guessing Westbrook or Lynn or maybe both (with the addition of both Oswalt and Carpenter) would be moved to the Bullpen.

pigture perfect

I don't see this current staff staying healthy all year. I think Garcia is the one we can least afford to lose though. He's our only lefty starter.

The Boar War

Tonight's lineup:  Furcal, Jay, Holliday, Beltran, Craig, Molina, Carpenter, Greene, and Garcia.

Good to see Molina is ready to play.  Apparently Berkman is going to be in the lineup soon (maybe as early as tommorrow).  They've moved Beltran to the cleanup hitter.

johnny cash

Maybe Albert needs to call Beltran for Hr advice.

FS Hog

Quote from: johnny cash on May 11, 2012, 10:24:51 pm
Maybe Albert needs to call Beltran for Hr advice.
:)
I just hope Beltran, change that to, no Cardinal goes to the home run derby.

clutch

Quote from: The Boar War on May 11, 2012, 04:30:17 pm
I would love to have him but I wonder who would move.  Lohse and Westbrook have full no trade clauses in their contract.  I'm guessing Westbrook or Lynn or maybe both (with the addition of both Oswalt and Carpenter) would be moved to the Bullpen.

I don't want to see Lynn moved back to the pen. I love what he has shown. I still get the feeling that Westbrook will turn into his old self at some point. Even though that may not be the case. He worked out extremely hard during the offseason and got himself into great shape.

pigture perfect

Yeah, I don't want Lynn back in the Pen. He has earned a starters spot in my mind.

jbell96

Ugh, getting swept by Atlanta is not fun. Probably should've won 2 of 3.

johnny cash

Yeah bad weekend, had base's loaded a bunch didn't get the big hits. Need to take it out on Cubbies tonight.

pigture perfect

We will do well against them as long as we don't have to face Zmaralphabet. He pretty much has been the most dominant pitcher we've seen all year.

The Boar War

Tonight's lineup: 
CARDINALS LINEUP:
Furcal, Jay, Holliday, Craig, Berkman, Freese, Molina, Schumaker, and Westbrook.

Romero was released and we called up Eduardo Sanchez.  I didn't necessarily believe that Romero could get it done but we cut our number of lefty relievers in half.

jbell96

Glad Romero got cut, but only having one lefty reliever really hampers us in late game situations. Hopefully Sanchez has his mechanics figured out.

johnny cash

That's four straight loses. I hate losing to Cubs. We do need some bull pen help.

FS Hog

Any more bullpen help in the minors? If no, who gets traded to bring in some help?

The Boar War

Quote from: FS Hog on May 14, 2012, 09:54:01 pm
Any more bullpen help in the minors? If no, who gets traded to bring in some help?

I've got a feeling Boggs won't be around much longer.  But he's not much for trade bait.

In the minor leagues 1 of our 2 lefties (Romero 10 ERA) was sent down to Memphis and Sanchez (a rhp)was brought back up.

FS Hog

jbell96

Good news is Cards win today 7-6 with Yadi getting a walkoff single.

Bad News is Jay is going on the DL & Berkman was a late scratch today. Hopefully it's nothing big.

The Boar War

Quote from: jbell96 on May 15, 2012, 04:14:02 pm
Good news is Cards win today 7-6 with Yadi getting a walkoff single.

Bad News is Jay is going on the DL & Berkman was a late scratch today. Hopefully it's nothing big.

I thought Berkman was pushing it when he legged out a double last night (kind of like he pushed it when he legged out the triple against the Reds that started all this).  I like Berkman but I've been worried about his health since he became a Cardinal.  I think we got lucky last year.

johnny cash

Good win on to San Fran.

johnny cash

1 to 0 cards bottom of fifth. No Molina, no Beltran.

The Boar War

Really nice win last night.  Freese and Furcal ended hitting slumps and Garcia looked great for 7 1/3 innings and then Matheny pushed the buttons perfectly with Salas, Scrabble, and Motte to finish the game.

I'm a little concerned about Beltran's knee but I'm hoping he was held out because it was a colder night in San Francisco.

pigture perfect

Man, we needed these last two wins bad.

jbell96

Good win last night. Freese broke out of his slump & Furcal again had a multi hit game. Skip's 2 run double in the 8th was huge in getting a cushion for our pitchers.

I'm concerned with Beltran's knee, but we have depth in the OF to let him get rest when he needs it.

Big series with the Dodgers this weekend. I'm only 3 hours from LA, but family commitments keep me from being able to go.

johnny cash

Yes we need to improve in a bad way in that dept.

jbell96

Craig & McClellan go on the DL. Craig is one of the most unlucky human beings on the planet. He's been a beast since coming back and gets hurt on a fluke play.

DeltaBoy

Cards are getting the injury bug again.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on May 18, 2012, 01:25:02 pm
Craig & McClellan go on the DL. Craig is one of the most unlucky human beings on the planet. He's been a beast since coming back and gets hurt on a fluke play.

I hate that Craig is one of my favorite Cardinals. I was pumped about how well he had been playing since his return.