Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No standing in line at A-State

Started by Seminole Indian, April 22, 2015, 09:16:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

A-State has produced its fair share of Freshmen All-Americans recently, and a big reason is that they have recruited better talent each year, and that talent gets the young players on the field faster.

Most of last year's  true freshmen class did not red-shirt, and made a significant contribution because A-State was one of the youngest, least experienced teams in college football.

True freshmen  DB's Blaise Taylor (5-10, 170), Nehemiah Wagner (6, 170), Charles Grant(5-11, 180),  nickle back Khari Lain (5-10, 185), DL's Chuks Ota (6-2, 285, who ended up a starter), E.J. Sutton (6-3, 275), OL Daniel Keith (6-5, 275, and was expected to become a starter before he got hurt), RB's Terrance Hollingsworth (5-10, 195), Brandon Byner (5-11, 177), Daryl Rollins‐Davis (5-9, 175), WR Blake Mack(6-3, 200), DE Caleb Caston (6-2, 210), all made significant contributions.

While on paper there  are far fewer opportunities  for true freshmen  this year, the incoming class is even more talented than last years.

Look for  DE, Griggin Riggs (6-3, 235, even though DE is loaded), LB's Justin Clifton (6, 210), Kirk Louis(6-2, 230), Avery Johnson (6-1, 215), OL Dalton Ford (6-4, 295), RB's Jamal Jones (5-9, 200), Warren Wand (5-5, 185, thats right 5' 5" tall), WR Omar Bayless (6-2, 190), all to have a chance of playing  as true's.

Bayless, Clifton, and Jones might make major contributions.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Seminole Indian

Razorback fans might notice one thing that is a big difference between their recruits, and those at A-State, their recruits tend to be bigger, a lot bigger.

Both schools recruit outstanding athletes with speed.

Why not big for A-State?

Some has to do with the offense that they play, but the big reason is big players as talented, fast, and as athletic as those at A-State don't tend to sign with any school at the G5 level very often.

A-State has SEC speed, and athleticism, just not SEC size.

Razorback fans may have also noticed that the few in-state players they have 'snatched' from A-States commit list the last few years, and i expect they continue to do so,  have contributed on the field up on the hill.

That should give them a reference point as to the type of player A-State has, and why they are winning,  because those were  not the best players on their commit list at all.  Their best players, and most of their players for that matter, come from out of state.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

Overall the Quality of HS Football improved    to the point that Ark cant get them all.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

April 22, 2015, 03:22:42 pm #4 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:35:03 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 22, 2015, 03:04:11 pm
Overall the Quality of HS Football improved    to the point that Ark cant get them all.
What people forget is the Razorbacks may take an in-state 3 star type one year, that they would have past on the previous or next year. They have to recruit to their needs, so for many 3 star types  becoming a Hawg or not, it often a matter of timing.

A-State is now in a position where many of these players consider them a viable second option, and are heading to Jonesboro rather than going out of state.

Their are a lot of 3 star Arkies on the Redwolfs roster, and a lot of 2 stars that would have been 3 stars if they were from another state, which is another one of those tangible reasons they are winning, and are likely to continue to do so.

As far as the future, the Razorbacks have got to land more 4-5 star types to get to where they want anyway, which means more out of state players for them , so I expect A-State will continue to pickup some quality players from Arkansas.

Seminole Indian

I'll add one other point, recruiting is not an exact science.

A former Razorback assistant told us that fist fights almost break out every year up on the hill, as the assistant coaches try to persuade the head coach to offer one kid over another, because after the top 4-5 in-state players, opinions varied greatly on who to take, even taking into consideration needs.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 22, 2015, 03:54:52 pm
I'll add one other point, recruiting is not an exact science.

A former Razorback assistant told us that fist fights almost break out every year up on the hill, as the assistant coaches try to persuade the head coach to offer one kid over another, because after the top 4-5 in-state players, opinions varied greatly on who to take, even taking into consideration needs.

I know I will never understand why the Hogs did not offer the Dixon since he been a stud at LA TECH!  Your correct timing is everything.  UCA used to raid Dewitt and Stuttgart for Linemen all the time back in the 1980's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Seminole Indian

Read a tweet on HowYes.com by CFBMartix saying these were to top 10 FBS schools for total games played by freshmen in 2014.

#1 Oregon
#2 Tennessee
#3 Vandy
#4 NC State
#5 Ohio State
#6 Ark St
#7 LSU
#8 TCU
#9 Ole Miss
#10 Baylor

Not surprised the Vols, Ole Miss and Redwolves, are in the top 10, because I knew they played a lot of freshmen but did not know  Ohio State did.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 25, 2015, 04:29:33 pm
Read a tweet on HowYes.com by CFBMartix saying these were to top 10 FBS schools for total games played by freshmen in 2014.

#1 Oregon
#2 Tennessee
#3 Vandy
#4 NC State
#5 Ohio State
#6 Ark St
#7 LSU
#8 TCU
#9 Ole Miss
#10 Baylor

Not surprised the Vols, Ole Miss and Redwolves, are in the top 10, because I knew they played a lot of freshmen but did not know  Ohio State did.

Good find.