Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wolves Up!

Started by HognitiveDissonance, April 21, 2015, 09:54:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Has anyone seen the new Arkansas State billboard in downtown LR? Coming south on I-30, it's the main billboard at the Cantrell Rd exit. It's the standard marketing sign, trying to build ASU pride, depicting three smiling students. What makes this interesting is the hook 'em horns finger salute the students are giving. Obviously ASU is calling it 'Wolves Up' I guess representing the ears of a wolf sticking up? The symbol is hook 'em horns, if somebody flashed that you would know what it was, there's nothing different in the way the hand or fingers look between 'Wolves Up' or 'Hook 'em Horns'.

So, after reading the story of Miss St's warmup shirt with the subliminal message directed towards Ole Miss 'F--K the school up north', what do you think? Is ASU copying of hook 'em sign a dig at the U of A? (Texas being Ark's arch-rival, of course). If not, why would they carbon copy a well-known hand gesture from another school? That gesture has been associated with Texas for so long it's next to impossible to get the image tied to anything else. Either they're taking a subtle shot at the UA, or it's a poor marketing campaign: be creative and come up with your own hand gesture.

I'm not a tin-foil conspiracy guy at all, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the sign.

rhames

No.

Let them do their thing. Not a bad thing for them to be having success.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Jborohog09

It's not a conspiracy.  A-State took that hand sign from Nevada and NC State who also have wolf mascots.  It's different from ::hornsdown:: because the two middle fingers connect with the thumb to make a snout.

Wildhog

Can't tell you how much sleep I've lost over this.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Broadway Rob

Obviously they are very close in resemblance.

The thumb placement is different though, which gives some distinction. 

ASTATE is creating and expanding a brand.  Lots of Red Wolves gear here in NEA now where there used to be much less Indian gear before the mascot change. 

Whether it will ever translate to other parts of the state?  Who knows...
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Reservoir Hogs

Does it look something like this?

NWO for Life

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on April 21, 2015, 10:05:10 am
Can't tell you how much sleep I've lost over this.

I tell ya what wild hog that there billboard makes me so angry every time I see I go to buy a handle of r and r and take it out on the old lady afterward

Hate me them there red wolves
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on April 21, 2015, 10:08:53 am

NWO for Life

That's pretty much it.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on April 21, 2015, 10:09:48 am

I tell ya what wild hog that there billboard makes me so angry every time I see I go to buy a handle of r and r and take it out on the old lady afterward

Hate me them there red wolves

The ol' rich and rare...
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: Wildhog on April 21, 2015, 10:20:04 am
The ol' rich and rare...

which is nither rich nor rare, but quite cheap and readily available...
Oh how much of my Soph year of college was lost to R&R. 

ricepig

This would have been the perfect forum to put this in, I guess it's needed??

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=119.0

immahog

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on April 21, 2015, 10:08:53 am

NWO for Life

NWO wolf pack
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Hawgey-Davidson

Nothing wrong with them marketing their school. After all, they have had a little success since moving to Div 1 (Sunbelt Conf). Not everyone can afford U of A or will want to go to Fville for that matter.

Whats good for Jboro is good for NEA. Whats good for NEA is good for the State. Btw, I know alot of ASU grads that are as big of Hog fans as I am.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 21, 2015, 09:54:41 am
Has anyone seen the new Arkansas State billboard in downtown LR? Coming south on I-30, it's the main billboard at the Cantrell Rd exit. It's the standard marketing sign, trying to build ASU pride, depicting three smiling students. What makes this interesting is the hook 'em horns finger salute the students are giving. Obviously ASU is calling it 'Wolves Up' I guess representing the ears of a wolf sticking up? The symbol is hook 'em horns, if somebody flashed that you would know what it was, there's nothing different in the way the hand or fingers look between 'Wolves Up' or 'Hook 'em Horns'.

So, after reading the story of Miss St's warmup shirt with the subliminal message directed towards Ole Miss 'F--K the school up north', what do you think? Is ASU copying of hook 'em sign a dig at the U of A? (Texas being Ark's arch-rival, of course). If not, why would they carbon copy a well-known hand gesture from another school? That gesture has been associated with Texas for so long it's next to impossible to get the image tied to anything else. Either they're taking a subtle shot at the UA, or it's a poor marketing campaign: be creative and come up with your own hand gesture.

I'm not a tin-foil conspiracy guy at all, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the sign.

It's not the same hand sign...

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2015, 10:28:34 am
This would have been the perfect forum to put this in, I guess it's needed??

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=119.0

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?

bp

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2015, 10:38:04 am

But so close that 99% of people around the state, country and world that knows college football would think it's a hook-em horn OR why are they copying it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2015, 10:38:04 am

Let's not worry about details though...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 21, 2015, 10:41:07 am
But so close that 99% of people around the state, country and world that knows college football would think it's a hook-em horn OR why are they copying it.

If they see a guy with an A-state shirt on, or a billboard advertising A-state, they'll likely think they're doing the wolf sign just like other colleges that have a wolf mascot.

immahog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2015, 10:46:37 am
If they see a guy with an A-state shirt on, or a billboard advertising A-state, they'll likely think they're doing the wolf sign just like other colleges that have a wolf mascot.

right when I see NC state do it I don't think of Texass
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: immahog on April 21, 2015, 10:51:33 am
right when I see NC state do it I don't think of Texass

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2015, 10:46:37 am

IF someone doesn't see a logo on the shirt or any other clothing then I bet most people would think of tejas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pigture perfect

I like the new low and promotion. Now they just need the slogan to go with the symbol. Instead of Hook em Horns, maybe Hear em Wolves?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on April 21, 2015, 10:37:49 am
Nothing wrong with them marketing their school. After all, they have had a little success since moving to Div 1 (Sunbelt Conf). Not everyone can afford U of A or will want to go to Fville for that matter.

Whats good for Jboro is good for NEA. Whats good for NEA is good for the State. Btw, I know alot of ASU grads that are as big of Hog fans as I am.
Not a dig at ASU at all. Got nothing against them at all.
They've always had a billboard in that same spot in LR, just change it up occasionally.
Reading the comments about other 'wolf' schools makes sense. Obviously not what I thought of when seeing the gesture, but it makes more sense now.

Seminole Indian

It has really caught on with A-State fan's.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 21, 2015, 03:09:52 pm
It has really caught on with A-State fan's.

All 14 of them!

Seminole Indian

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 01:26:31 pm
All 14 of them!

Not sure how many they have, but 14 seems a might high based on most of the estimates I've seen here.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Did read on AStateNation.com, and HowlYes.com, that they are expecting to sell a record number of season tickets for a 6th year in a row, so 14 Redwolf fans might not be to inflated.

Of course I do expect a lot of Razorback fans will join those 14 for their home games at Centennial Bank Stadium, and will go with them to whatever bowl game they go too( those same A-State sites said they have the 4th longest active postseason bowl streak in G5, I guess in part because so many Razorback fans buy tickets and accompany those 14).

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that a lot of Razorback fans love Redwolf football, and more every year.