Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Football Player Killed in Shooting

Started by bphi11ips, January 16, 2014, 10:53:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bobcat ball

That's terrible. RIP prayers to his friends and family!!!
WOO PIG

Seminole Indian

Everyone has been trying to find out what happened, all day, but no one knows for sure.

From what is out there many feel that it was a 'home invasion', deal. Apparently his father was also killed, and mother wounded.

He was a great young man, and will be missed.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dropkick

PorkRinds

Horrible.  Thoughts and prayers for his family and team.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 16, 2014, 10:57:15 am
Everyone has been trying to find out what happened, all day, but no one knows for sure.

From what is out there many feel that it was a 'home invasion', deal. Apparently his father was also killed, and mother wounded.

He was a great young man, and will be missed.

Sincere condolences to the ASU coaches, players, administration and faculty.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Rockinghog

Sad to see a life lost at an early age. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

reddogjcss

Doug

January 16, 2014, 11:25:09 am #8 Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:39:08 am by Douglas
I was looking forward to seeing him again this next season. This is going to be tough for everyone involved (friends, family, coaches and teammates).

Here's Markel in some of the pictures I've taken:

ASU vs GSU

ASU vs GSU

ASU vs Idaho
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

trashcan maN

I thought it was a drive by , but they were speculating that the shooter may have also been injured, so who knows

Virgil

That's so TERRIBLE.  I just don't understand violence. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

plumbhog

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

plumbhog

Just saw the other one. Mods please delete.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

pigture perfect

That's sad. Would like to know more about the story.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

RAZORHOGG15

There is a lot of bickering between UA fans and ASU fans but at the end of the day ASU is part of our beloved state and my heart goes out to the Family, friends, coaches and teammates of this young man. 
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

ark30inf

Quote from: RAZORHOGG15 on January 16, 2014, 12:55:31 pm
There is a lot of bickering between UA fans and ASU fans but at the end of the day ASU is part of our beloved state and my heart goes out to the Family, friends, coaches and teammates of this young man. 

Enough tragedies to go around for all of us.  Your BB and 88, and now our Big O.  Ugh. sucks.

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for his family , friends and all those at ASU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Boar War

Hate to hear this.  Doesn't seem like the guy was in a good situation.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2014, 01:25:46 pm
Hate to hear this.  Doesn't seem like the guy was in a good situation.
Think it was more his mother was not in a good situation.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Well said sir. +1,000 if I could give em.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

The Boar War

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 16, 2014, 01:38:19 pm
Think it was more his mother was not in a good situation.

Just to be clear my earlier post was not meant to disparage him at all.  I was referring to the mother and "stepfather".  That being said he was in that situation (although not of his making).

TheRazorbackGuy

The whole state of Arkansas is sadden by this news

ASU and Arkansas fans both

immahog

im so sick an tired of this it kills my spirt each time something like this happens....I pray for peace
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: immahog on January 16, 2014, 02:09:23 pm
im so sick an tired of this it kills my spirt each time something like this happens....I pray for peace
No man is an island...
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

trashcan maN

Was actually an hour or two east of Memphis in Jackson, TN.

Seminole Indian

January 16, 2014, 04:42:05 pm #31 Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:04:30 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: moehog on January 16, 2014, 03:04:13 pm
More:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20140116/NEWS01/140116019/Police-captain-Markel-Owens-should-regarded-hero-
Thanks, always seemed like an  outstanding young man to me, and know how much his teammates liked him, and he will be missed.

Nice to see the posters here express their condolence.

goodguytex

All my prayers and best wishes go out to this young mans family, and his football family as well. Such a tragedy. Times like this all Arkansans need to be united in ourcsympathy and best wishes for all who knew and cared for him.

Arkfan

I was very sad to hear of this tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

dagnamit

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 16, 2014, 02:22:47 pm
Memphis
what does Memphis have to do with any of this? Jackson TN is a nice town similar to Jonesboro.

moehog

Quote from: dagnamit on January 17, 2014, 07:14:01 am
what does Memphis have to do with any of this? Jackson TN is a nice town similar to Jonesboro.

I live just outside of Jackson...graduated high school in Jackson...it used to be a nice town. The schools used to be great - all of them...now there is flight out of town and booming private schools....4-5 private high schools alone.  The little community I live in right outside the county has tripled in population in a few years, built a new middle school, expanded 4 times already...built a new high school, expanded already after being open only 5 years...now the 3rd fastest growing city in TN...Jackson has a crime index of 4  - http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tn/jackson/crime/
100 is the safest...crime rate is more than twice the state average.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Arkfan on January 17, 2014, 06:18:18 am
I was very sad to hear of this tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

hoglady

Very, very sad news.
Really proud of all the comments here on Hogville.
I read some of the comments below the article and I must say some were just  shocking and despicable. Those folks should be truly ashamed of themselves.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

OLDHOG

SoCal Hog

So sorry to hear this. Sympathies go out to family and friends.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

HognotinMemphis

Based on a couple of articles in today's Commercial Appeal, the home was invaded when the step-father arrived due to the large cache of weed and associated cash in the home. So it appears the family was selling weed. Either that, or they were smoking a heck of a lot of it and who knows where the cash came from...I'm sure from an honest business. So stupid...and criminal.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 17, 2014, 10:25:46 am
Based on a couple of articles in today's Commercial Appeal, the home was invaded when the step-father arrived due to the large cache of weed and associated cash in the home. So it appears the family was selling weed. Either that, or they were smoking a heck of a lot of it and who knows where the cash came from...I'm sure from an honest business. So stupid...and criminal.

So based on the article you derived that the WHOLE family was selling weed? Wow.......that is a pretty ignorant assumption.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 17, 2014, 04:08:19 pm
So based on the article you derived that the WHOLE family was selling weed? Wow.......that is a pretty ignorant assumption.
Ignorant pretty much describes the poster, but in addition to that what he posted is not true.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 17, 2014, 10:25:46 am

His father was selling Weed.  The rest of the family got caught in the middle.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 17, 2014, 04:25:47 pm
Ignorant pretty much describes the poster, but in addition to that what he posted is not true.

Th only untrue part was that the family was selling weed. The step dad obviously was, and it was a robbery in connection to his weed selling business. Sad that the young man got caught up in his step dad's dealing and it cost him his life.

tophawg19

drugs take another young mans life . violent robbery getting even more common.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Seminole Indian

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 17, 2014, 04:34:38 pm
Th only untrue part was that the family was selling weed. The step dad obviously was, and it was a robbery in connection to his weed selling business. Sad that the young man got caught up in his step dad's dealing and it cost him his life.
Based on what we know, which is very little, your post seems accurate.

HognotinMemphis

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 17, 2014, 04:25:47 pm
so the rest of the family was totally unaware or did not approve of the weed selling? They did not benefit from the proceeds? Should they have turned him in or stopped him?

Seminole Indian

January 17, 2014, 07:09:49 pm #49 Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:57:20 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 17, 2014, 07:05:38 pm
Thanks, Dad.
Hey, I'm from Memphis.

What was your mothers name? You are not a Major in the US Army are you?