Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU is getting a reputation...

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 11, 2013, 10:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorhawg09

HSU's Scott Maxfield has had some contact ab the position.

nextlevel

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 12, 2013, 10:41:28 am
The last 10 seasons, 2002-2012 Tulsa went 85-58 (.594). Over the same period of time, ASU has gone 65-69 (.485) and Tulsa has played in the far more difficult conference, so whatever. And even further back than that, Tulsa has been the proving ground of a lot of future big conference Div I coaches (HC's and Assistant's), over the years and currently, one who is playing for a NC in January, and the same can be said of ASU, though he was only there for one year.

Point is, ASU is a lot like Tulsa in this regard.

Tulsa has been turning out good basketball coaches for decades, not sure if Manning is going to next one or not. (17-16 last year, 3-6 currently)
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nextlevel on December 12, 2013, 10:51:47 am
Tulsa has been turning out good basketball coaches for decades, not sure if Manning is going to next one or not. (17-16 last year, 3-6 currently)

And that is true as well. Every time they get one that is successful at all, they are gone to a bigger school. Tubby Smith (as an example) has done ok financially by having Tulsa as his springboard.
Go Hogs Go!

arkjay19

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 12, 2013, 10:41:28 amThe last 10 seasons, 2002-2012 Tulsa went 85-58 (.594). Over the same period of time, ASU has gone 65-69 (.485) and Tulsa has played in the far more difficult conference, so whatever. And even further back than that, Tulsa has been the proving ground of a lot of future big conference Div I coaches (HC's and Assistant's), over the years and currently, one who is playing for a NC in January, and the same can be said of ASU, though he was only there for one year.

Point is, ASU is a lot like Tulsa in this regard.

You do know I wasn't disagreeing with you, right?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 12, 2013, 10:57:06 am
You do know I wasn't disagreeing with you, right?

Yeah, I got that. Didn't mean to necessarily seem to disagree with you. Both schools are very similar in terms of being "springboards" for coaches who go on to be successful at a higher level. That's the problem with these "mid-major" types of schools. They get a good HC, they have success at that level, and because the mid majors don't have the financial prowess of big schools, they can't keep a great coach.
Go Hogs Go!

nextlevel

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 12, 2013, 11:02:24 am
Yeah, I got that. Didn't mean to necessarily seem to disagree with you. Both schools are very similar in terms of being "springboards" for coaches who go on to be successful at a higher level. That's the problem with these "mid-major" types of schools. They get a good HC, they have success at that level, and because the mid majors don't have the financial prowess of big schools, they can't keep a great coach.

Sometimes they don't want to keep a good coach either,Doug Wojcik was fired from Tulsa for declining ticket sales. Granted Tulsa hasn't made the NCAAs since John Phillips replaced Buzz Peterson when he went to Tennessee.

stAte is making money off the buyouts of their HCs, basically getting paid to let these guys coach a year, I'm sure that is going to factor in to who is next, their program might not want a guy who will be there 5-10 years even if he's winning...
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

arkjay19

Quote from: nextlevel on December 12, 2013, 11:11:37 amSometimes they don't want to keep a good coach either,Doug Wojcik was fired from Tulsa for declining ticket sales. Granted Tulsa hasn't made the NCAAs since John Phillips replaced Buzz Peterson when he went to Tennessee.

stAte is making money off the buyouts of their HCs, basically getting paid to let these guys coach a year, I'm sure that is going to factor in to who is next, their program might not want a guy who will be there 5-10 years even if he's winning...

It's such a tough thing to repeat over and over again though.  They're already pushing their luck with the last three.  Sooner or later they'll get a bust and he'll stay around longer than any of the others.

nextlevel

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 12, 2013, 11:30:57 am
It's such a tough thing to repeat over and over again though.  They're already pushing their luck with the last three.  Sooner or later they'll get a bust and he'll stay around longer than any of the others.

No doubt.

The whole "Boise of the South" sounds good, but Boise was promoting from within, Koetter-Hawking-Petersen, Petersen leaves and they bring back Harsin.

We won't go into whether Boise is the premier program over Idaho or not.

ell oh ell

texas tush hog

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 11, 2013, 11:03:44 pm
State becoming the Boise of the south! Well that is a big step up. Young coach with ambition can go to state and if he does good he's off to the big bucks.
One other thing the AD there is doing a great job on coaching talent he's hiring.
It want be long someone will be offering him a nice high paying job,

Dean Lee was interviewed at halftime of the Ole Miss/Auburn game and received kudos for hiring Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn and was immediately replaced.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: minister on December 11, 2013, 11:25:17 pm
Look for Rhett Lashlee to be hired.

From my understanding, Lashlee and his family love living in Auburn and it isn't likely he would accept the job.

hawgdawg63

Does anyone have the link to the ASU message board? Thanks

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 06:34:51 am
And thus they may not have as talented a team going forward after the current talent leaves. Especially if there is any more drop off.
Proble is the younger talent replacing them is even better talent. They had the 4th youngest 2-deep in fbs football.

While still relatively young, baring a lot of players leaving, they will be more talented next year. They do need a couple of JC DT's.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Razorhawg09

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 12, 2013, 12:07:13 pm
From my understanding, Lashlee and his family love living in Auburn and it isn't likely he would accept the job.
He would take the job. Lord.

jesterzzn

Quote from: pigbacon on December 11, 2013, 10:34:13 pm
Any coach that stays there very long falls into two catergories IMO:

1. He views it as a destination job to retire, raise a family, etc.

Has that ever actually happened?

Rocket23

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 06:15:43 am
Wrong UU. A young rising star may not stay long because bigger programs with bigger budgets will come calling with millions in hand and they will jump ship in a split second usually. Chris Peterson"s situation was a little unique and rare. I know some coaches don't want the demands that go with a big time program but to say they WILL find someone like that is just a guess. They could just as easily keep getting short-termers and at some point get a dud. Then the job becomes harder to get a rising star. Boise had already established a fairly consistent winning program before Chris was named head coach and those coaches moved on fairly quickly. Ironically the exception to winning there was a nutt (the only coach there to have a losing record since 1969) yet he had an out. ASU is not the worst job in football, it is a good one, but it isn't a specially attractive one either. It is similar to about 100 other one's in college.

Wrong!  In 1996 Boise State, in their first year as (now called) NCAA FBS series, went 1-9 under interim coach Tom Mason.  Nutt came in next year, went 5-6 and longtime nemesis Idaho.

But on everything else I agree.  TAlked to someone in the program there and he said they have to get a good hire this time who is going to be there a while.  Recruiting depth is starting to show now.  Coaches take two years or more to build a rapport with kids.

Rocket23

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 11, 2013, 11:03:44 pm
State becoming the Boise of the south! Well that is a big step up. Young coach with ambition can go to state and if he does good he's off to the big bucks.
One other thing the AD there is doing a great job on coaching talent he's hiring.
It want be long someone will be offering him a nice high paying job,

ASU's AD has only been there one year.  Dean Lee hired Freeze and Malzahn.  Then Malzahn got Lee reassigned when they didnt see eye-to-eye on some things.

nextlevel

Quote from: Rocket23 on December 12, 2013, 12:39:09 pm
ASU's AD has only been there one year.  Dean Lee hired Freeze and Malzahn.  Then Malzahn got Lee reassigned when they didnt see eye-to-eye on some things.

He had to be reassigned, Malzahn was there for the long haul.

LOL.

ell oh ell

jabohog

If Lashlee takes it, it must be because he wants to come back to Arkansas. He's about to get a big raise at Auburn.

nextlevel

Quote from: jabohog on December 12, 2013, 12:41:38 pm
If Lashlee takes it, it must be because he wants to come back to Arkansas. He's about to get a big raise at Auburn.

Well deserved raise, he's done so much.

If he doesn't take the stAte job does that mean Gus' coat tails aren't long enough?

ell oh ell

Inhogswetrust

December 12, 2013, 12:46:09 pm #69 Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:07:35 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2013, 10:30:06 am
So, you take out you anger on Jonesboro because ASU fans come on this board, says a lot. f I had my wish, they wouldn't be here, but it's Lanny's board. If you woud notice, the vast majority of people not bashing Jonesboro, are Razorback fans and alums such as myself, who live in Jonesboro.

I applaud you for sticking up for where you live. I'm not angry at all about Jonesboro. Heck I made a lot of money there! I've also worked in about 17 other states besides Arkansas and made good money in each. Does that mean I liked each place or state I worked in? No it doesn't. I'm not angry about Red wolf fans coming on here IF they cordial. I like other teams fans on here when they are respectful and cordial. For example one of my favorites is Mizzouman. He knows how to post and act on other teams boards. Perhaps you missed my post #17 of this thread where I said about ASU not being the worst college coaching job and it was a good one. I DO get angry about it when they come on here and denigrate the Hogs. Why do you think I used the example of IF I had dogged (no pun intended) the Wolves and their town on a Red Wolf site. It's about WHAT is said not WHO says it. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rocket23 on December 12, 2013, 12:36:30 pm
Wrong!  In 1996 Boise State, in their first year as (now called) NCAA FBS series, went 1-9 under interim coach Tom Mason.  Nutt came in next year, went 5-6 and longtime nemesis Idaho.

But on everything else I agree.  TAlked to someone in the program there and he said they have to get a good hire this time who is going to be there a while.  Recruiting depth is starting to show now.  Coaches take two years or more to build a rapport with kids.

The key word is INTERIM with Mason. IV'e looked it up in the past and no PERMANENT coach has done it except nutt. But I digress. You are correct in that Mason did bad though. They were fortunate to keep Chris as long as they did and they need to try to do it again if possible.Good luck to them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 12, 2013, 12:07:13 pm

I think mighty St. Nick liked living in Miami also. Guess what he left. IF ASU makes Rhett a really good offer I doubt he would turn it down.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 12, 2013, 12:16:03 pm
Proble is the younger talent replacing them is even better talent. They had the 4th youngest 2-deep in fbs football.

While still relatively young, baring a lot of players leaving, they will be more talented next year. They do need a couple of JC DT's.

Young talent doesn't always pan out according to plan.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 12:52:17 pm

Young talent doesn't always pan out according to plan.

Nope, according to someold Indian, ASU's is the best. It's because he doesn't like any team.that he knows so much, or something like that. Of course, he lives east of the Mississippi, so you may think he is correct.

Inhogswetrust

December 12, 2013, 12:59:12 pm #74 Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:26:11 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2013, 12:55:18 pm
Nope, according to someold Indian, ASU's is the best. It's because he doesn't like any team.that he knows so much, or something like that. Of course, he lives east of the Mississippi, so you may think he is correct.

It doesn't matter where he lives to me. Heck I live east of the Mississippi River as well and don't particularly like where I live as well as other places but I and my wife have jobs to do and family close by. He just seems to ONLY come on here and spout off about how good the Red Wolves are all the time. Let me be clear they HAVE been good as of late for a lower level D1 conference team and I applaud them for that. That doesn't mean I have to root for them or like where they are located.

McHogLovin

Fire Long, hire ASU AD.  At least he recognizes talented coaches. 

Inhogswetrust

hobhog

They may have gotten a little lucky with Harsin. ASU was struggling a little mid season, and he relegated the play calling to his OC, then they started moving the ball again. If he stayed another year and didnt win, they are back to square one.

As it is, they look like the hot school....

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2013, 12:55:18 pm
Lost me, I do feel ASU has the best talent in the SBC, and for whatever reason the coaching changes have helped, not hurt them in that regard.

Started posting on General Sports a few years ago when ASU started signing some quality players, and wanted to see if any had noticed. A few had.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 10:05:51 am
I tell you what. I'll lay off Jonesboro and the Red Wolves when their fans and minions quit coming to a Hog based message board and keep spouting off at the mouth and stirring up feces.

Until then, NO I never had an opinion of Jonesboro until I had experience there and NEVER started a thread about it. I only respond with my opinion of it when other start talking about it as this great utopia or how nice it is. Here's a shocker for you. I have gone on the record on here as saying Jonesboro has some really nice people in it in the past. That doesn't mean I have to like where they live! Lakeland. WOW! That is the mecca of retirement communities huh? I always thought Retirement communities are areas usually people move to in somewhat large numbers to retire. I guess that describes Lakeland in your mind then. Oh well come see me in Hot Springs or Bella Vista or Cherokee Village or somewhere like those places when I retire.

Conversely how do think the majority of Red Wolf and ASU fans would react IF I went to a message board that is Red wolf or ASU based and started talking smack, or how much greater and nicer it is in Fayetteville and all things Hogs and such? I'd be attacked unmercifully. I'd be lucky if they didn't kick me off their board!

You would be treated no differently than RicePig is when he comes to the ASU board. And fwiw I don't recall seeing any ASU fans over here claiming that Jonesboro is much nicer to live in than Fayetteville. As far as talking smack about each others team? To me that is just a part of college sports. It goes with the territory of being a fan of any  team in particular. Every team out there is going to have its share of haters. If someone can't handle his team being smack talked he/she either needs to grow a thicker skin or stop following sports. JMO of course.

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 12, 2013, 10:34:29 am
Appears to be an attractive stepping stone job for rising coaches, but the last 3 coaches left for jobs at schools they had previous ties to. I think that was the main factor in the whole "one and done" thing. It was mainly circumstance.

You pretty much nailed it right there imo. Had openings not existed at those respective schools each coach likely stays at ASU for more than one year. Of course that also means that ASU would still likely have Freeze at the helm going on for three years now had Ole Miss not had their opening.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

chiefsfan

Quote from: nextlevel on December 12, 2013, 12:40:43 pm
He had to be reassigned, Malzahn was there for the long haul.

LOL.

Malzahn certainly didn't like dealing with him, but the previous AD was primarily reassigned for failing to do his job.  When our new chancellor was hired, he tried to call him for a meeting, and found that he had not yet activated the voice mail on his state issued cell phone, and that he didn't respond to emails.

He was a poor excuse for an AD, and I don't think its a coincidence that our athletics program has grown a ton since he left.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 03:43:43 pm
Sorry you're too late. That link has already been posted elsewhere on here and it is fiction.

Bruce Feldman of CBS Believed it.  He actually called Houston Nutt to see if he had a response to the article.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

GolfNut57

Quote from: nextlevel on December 12, 2013, 11:11:37 am

If they hire a guy that consistently wins at least 8-9 games every year along with an occasional 10 or 11 win season, and goes to a bowl game each year and this guy actually wants to stay at ASU long term I can see no reason why they would be in any hurry to push him out the door as long as he does nothing to break the rules or embarrass the school. Consistently winning that many games every year will take care of any money troubles in itself as it will lead to bigger crowds at the home games, better season ticket sales, more profit from bowl games etc etc etc......
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

chiefsfan

Quote from: arkjay19 on December 12, 2013, 11:30:57 am

We cant keep going forever, but I think that's part of the reason we wont go after an Orgeron type coach.  We'd much rather a coach come in, stay one year and win, than find a coach who stays 4 years and loses.

We also pay enough to outbid teams for coaches.  We can get into a bidding war with a P5 school for an assistant now, and could outbid several MAC and CUSA schools for head coaches if it came to it.  We've got a much larger pool for assistants than most schools at our level, and we pay our head coaches more than both NIU and Fresno paid for theirs. 

If I was to hazard a guess at our top 3

Mike Norvelll  Arizona State OC
Phillip Montgomery   Baylor OC
Rhett Lashlee

A couple of people have mentioned that UCLA's OC might be interested as well, though I don't think he fits what we are looking for.

GolfNut57

GolfNut57

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2013, 12:59:12 pm
It doesn't matter where he lives to me. Heck I live east of the Mississippi River as well and don't particularly like where I live as well as other places but I and my wife have jobs to do and family close by. He just seems to ONLY come on here and spout off about how good the Red Wolves are all the time. Let me be clear they HAVE been good as of late for a lower level D1 conference team and I applaud them for that. That doesn't mean I have to root for them or like where they are located.

Let me clarify something here. Seminole Indian is not a ASU fan by anyone standards. The goober had declared many times how he will NEVER go to any ASU football games even though he just lives a few miles from the stadium on the ASU boards. He is really just someone who thinks he knows it all and his pomposity leads him to being little more than one of the biggest blowhards you will ever find on any given board. He isn't liked on the ASU boards any more than he is liked here. Shame really because sometimes he actually does post some decent info.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: McHogLovin on December 12, 2013, 03:31:20 pm
Fire Long, hire ASU AD.  At least he recognizes talented coaches. 

He's made one hire at ASU...Harsin.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

McHogLovin

Inhogswetrust

December 12, 2013, 04:59:14 pm #89 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:35:40 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2013, 04:01:24 pm
You would be treated no differently than RicePig is when he comes to the ASU board. And fwiw I don't recall seeing any ASU fans over here claiming that Jonesboro is much nicer to live in than Fayetteville. As far as talking smack about each others team? To me that is just a part of college sports. It goes with the territory of being a fan of any  team in particular. Every team out there is going to have its share of haters. If someone can't handle his team being smack talked he/she either needs to grow a thicker skin or stop following sports. JMO of course.

You pretty much nailed it right there imo. Had openings not existed at those respective schools each coach likely stays at ASU for more than one year. Of course that also means that ASU would still likely have Freeze at the helm going on for three years now had Ole Miss not had their opening.

You saying I would be treated differently can only apply to YOU. You can't speak for others. You must not keep up around  here either because it has been said on here that Jonesboro is nicer or that certain individuals "like" Jonesboro better. You've only been on here since September of 2012. I've been on here since 2006 and that type of crap has been going on much longer than you've been on here. The smack talking I can take. There is a difference between trolling and good natured smack talking though. For example I like talking smack with OX and Solomi even though I don't like old barn. Also there are sooners that are on here and I detest them.The problem is when other teams fans, and it appears to be much more of them that are Red Wolves than any other, troll on here just to stir up feces. Heck I bet some ASU fans are on here as much if not more than they are on any Red Wolves board! Why here? Because it's the HOGS. I bet there are very few Red Wolves that troll or go to other teams sites except the Hog ones!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2013, 04:23:31 pm
Let me clarify something here. Seminole Indian is not a ASU fan by anyone standards. The goober had declared many times how he will NEVER go to any ASU football games even though he just lives a few miles from the stadium on the ASU boards. He is really just someone who thinks he knows it all and his pomposity leads him to being little more than one of the biggest blowhards you will ever find on any given board. He isn't liked on the ASU boards any more than he is liked here. Shame really because sometimes he actually does post some decent info.

We can all be a blowhard sometimes and that includes me and you. I know what he has said about NOT being a fan but his postings do not read as such sometimes. People can say they are OR or not anything but the proof is in the pudding or should I say posting. I agree he posts decent information sometimes but sometimes it is utter garbage. We ALL have done that. Once again that includes me and you. We are all equal opportunity blowhards in some respects but just look at things through a different perspective or as a fan of different teams. 

KaysFieldTouchdown

Boards with the most ASU content:

1. The Den
2. Sun Belt Board
3. Hogville
4. Various Sun Belt team boards (usually only during game week)

I visit the boards where AState is discussed.

rude1

What ASU is doing reminds me of what the AD at Tulsa was doing with basketball at one time back during the 80s-90s, making great hires that moved on to bigger better jobs, starting with Nolan Richardson. Before it was over they would have three different coaches who coached there who went on to win a National Championship at other schools once leaving Tulsa, Nolan, Tubby, & Bill Self.

pignparadise

Quote from: rude1 on December 12, 2013, 05:21:53 pm
What ASU is doing reminds me of what the AD at Tulsa was doing with basketball at one time back during the 80s-90s, making great hires that moved on to bigger better jobs, starting with Nolan Richardson. Before it was over they would have three different coaches who coached there who went on to win a National Championship at other schools once leaving Tulsa, Nolan, Tubby, & Bill Self.
Excellent point!
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: McHogLovin on December 12, 2013, 04:48:24 pm
Sounds like he's 1-0

I guess. Harsin to Boise shouldn't be a shock to anyone. He had a good season. But he won with Roberts, Freeze, & Gus's players, right? ..isn't that the way the argument works? ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 12, 2013, 08:20:43 am
What about Venables?  Would he be a good fit?

He probably feels he has unfinished business regarding Florida State and South Carolina.  He is going to "clamp down" on both of their Offenses. 

Jimbo Fisher and Steve Spurrier/Steve Spurrier, Jr. better be preparing for a future "foot on the throat" regarding trying to move the ball on Venables' Defense.

Lysol

Hey at least they have a rep now! Remember that program 5 years ago?? Neither do I

McHogLovin

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 06:56:36 pm
I guess. Harsin to Boise shouldn't be a shock to anyone. He had a good season. But he won with Roberts, Freeze, & Gus's players, right? ..isn't that the way the argument works? ;)

I've never once made that argument of winning with other guys players.  I think that can actually prove how good some coaches actually are.  I've made arguments for coaches that have started with a bare cupboard.  Bert isn't one of them.  My disapproval for him came from what I saw at Wisconsin and hated the hire.  All that build up to end up with this stinking guy.  But I will admit his cupboard was pretty bare when he arrived.  Not as bad as what CBP inherited though.

goodguytex

I expect AState to hire another young up and comer like Lashlee, or someone trying to prove or redeem himself, but John Thompson might be a pretty good choice if they want to go after someone who would stay and be commited to retiring there.

chiefsfan

Just to shut up Jeremy Fowler of CBS, ASU is not interested in Chris Ash.  If we hire a defensive coach, it will be Thompson.  Otherwise, we'll hire an offensive minded coach.