Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vote NO! UA vs ASU

Started by MarionHog, March 12, 2013, 06:15:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MissippHog

If ASU wants to be considered a big boy, we don't pay them anything. 

LZH

Quote from: MissippHog on March 13, 2013, 07:34:03 am
If ASU wants to be considered a big boy, we don't pay them anything. 

Even if we went to a home & home there'd be far more Razorback fans in Jonesboro than injun fans.  It's a no win.  Let ASU enlarge their stadium by 20K or better and actually fill it every week then come back and talk about it.  I don't see ASU playing UAM and splitting the game receipts...wonder why?

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 12, 2013, 06:56:10 pm
if it would raise money for the childrens hospital then i'm all for it. i'm for anything that helps fund that .
Except games at WMS are typically revenue neutral or money losers.  This game would "supposedly" improve that, but that is negated when new revenues are removed.  If ASU wants to play UA so bad, let them bear the expense and pay UA.  As it stands now, they try to force the game, with UA paying covering the costs and paying them as the visitor.

Love you Avitar.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Douglas on March 13, 2013, 06:46:29 am
Michigan <--> Michigan State
Iowa <--> Iowa State (Different conferences)
Oklahoma <--> Oklahoma State
Oregon <--> Oregon State
Florida <--> Florida State (Different conferences)
Arizona <--> Arizona State
Colorado <--> Colorado State (Different conferences)
Kansas <--> Kansas State
Ole Miss <--> Mississippi State
Washington <--> Washington State

There are more, of course, but there's a couple games above that would be very comparable to Arkansas <--> Arkansas State.

I also agree with Iwastherein1969 (shock of all shocks). Start if off small (Basketball, Baseball, Track, etc) before adding FB.

Colorado v Colorado State is the ONLY match up on there that is comparable. It has never benefited CU.

That list does nothing to help the case for playing ASU. All the other schools on there are BCS school versus BCS school (with the one above exception).

We're the only big shot in this state, leave it that way. If the ADs between UA and ASU decide to pull the trigger, fine, but legislating that is ridiculous/insane/unbelievable.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2013, 07:39:41 am
Even if we went to a home & home there'd be far more Razorback fans in Jonesboro than injun fans.  It's a no win.  Let ASU enlarge their stadium by 20K or better and actually fill it every week then come back and talk about it.  I don't see ASU playing UAM and splitting the game receipts...wonder why?

Missouri will be there in 2015.  If stAte does well, or heaven forbid, wins this year or 2015, the howls (pun) will be even louder.

I can't believe misery needed to fill their schedule so badly that they conceded to play in Jonesboro at that little of a stadium. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

cmpledger

Good thing we didn't play them last year, they would have curb stomped up by at least 21.

kimjongsqUeAl

I say we give ASU what they want.  Let's play them 1 time at WMS with a 6:00pm kickoff on said Sat evening.  Then we totally embarrass and humiliate them and bury their ass underneathe the 50yd line.  Then, we go one about our business.

Give them what they want!  Beat that ass good then we don't have to hear about this stuff anymore!!  Get it over with already!  It's gonna happen one day or another so let em play 1 game.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

longtimeHogfan

This game would only serve to level the playing field within the State to the detriment of the U of A. 

No thanks.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

batesvillepharmer

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 13, 2013, 08:20:19 am
This game would only serve to level the playing field within the State to the detriment of the U of A. 

No thanks.

Make red wolves play UCA every year. Make ark tech play Harding every year (if they don't) .... Where does it stop.

Chief Mac

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2013, 07:10:36 am
Where does playing Samford put us?

is Samford an instate division 1 school competing for resources with the U of A?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

311Hog

Quote from: TheGunther on March 13, 2013, 06:20:16 am

You sure do sound butt hurt.  Did an ASU grad steal your girlfriend? When dealing with public institutions, legislators will always have a hand in the way state tax dollars are spent. Your UofA sports team may be privately funded, but your institution has public funds tied to it.  There is nothing corrupt about it. Funny, UofA has a free chance to punch little brother in the mouth and judging from this thread most of you are running away.

You are not going to goad me into thinking that the loss of millions for my school and this states school is worth throwing away so we can kick the crap out of a barely D1 school.

There is no benefit in playing this game for the University of Arkansas.  None from no angle, nothing.  Argue that, your simple insults are not enough.

If the roles were reversed and in a parallel universe ASU was the 99.99% state supported school in terms of fan base and prestige.  I dare you to say that ASU would be willing to pay to play its insignificant instate school UofA in a game 3 hours from campus for the benefit of a few well positioned alumni whom are using their place of public service power to push a narrow minded and corrupt agenda under the guise of "charity".

No way in hell would ASU do this if the roles were reversed.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Douglas on March 13, 2013, 06:46:29 am
Michigan <--> Michigan State
Iowa <--> Iowa State (Different conferences)
Oklahoma <--> Oklahoma State
Oregon <--> Oregon State
Florida <--> Florida State (Different conferences)
Arizona <--> Arizona State
Colorado <--> Colorado State (Different conferences)
Kansas <--> Kansas State
Ole Miss <--> Mississippi State
Washington <--> Washington State

There are more, of course, but there's a couple games above that would be very comparable to Arkansas <--> Arkansas State.

Name one of these matchups where one school is being asked to sacrifice the  revenue in order to meet the wants of the other. In each of your matchups, the opponents both bring something to the table. (aside from Colo. State-All schools are in BCS conferences). In Arkansas-Ark. State...ASU brings nothing to the table. The comparison is apples-to-oranges.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

malibu327

FS Hog

Quote from: MissippHog on March 13, 2013, 06:05:46 am
Exactly.  If they are able to set it up to help ANY hospital then let's do this.  Some things are more important than football you know.
If the CEO of any hospital makes say over 500k a year, does that change your opinion on whether you want to donate? How much of your donation goes to millionaires pockets?

oldbear

A state legislature should never be involved in legoslatig a football game. I didn't think anything could ever demean the legislature more than it already had been.

Hawgndaaz

Does ASU play UCA?

Didn't think so.

chickens.

hogsanity

The problem I have with it is that ASU wants to play this game AND play it on their terms.  If ever played it should be the Hogs last OOC game, in Fayetteville, and ASU should get the usual rent a win fee. ASU wants it in LR, the 1st game of the year before they are beat up and before the Hogs get video of them.  It is the same scam Boise trys to run every year for its big ooc game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 13, 2013, 08:48:47 am
Does ASU play UCA?

Didn't think so.

chickens.

They play occasionally. But I think ASU should be forced to play UCA or UAPB in Little Rock and in addition to paying stadium rent, they must donate $250,000 to charity. While the legislature is at it, they need to force UCA & UAPB to play under the same circumstances.

Pig in the Pokey

I hate this STUPID poll. And why are all the beneficiaries from south arkansas?? yeah, i support supporting a bunch of broke ass south arkansas colleges and war memorial lol. SOOOO big.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: HogInFlorida on March 12, 2013, 06:53:14 pm
I don't get why so many Arkansas fans are so against this. I'd rather beat stAte to a pulp every year than Jacksonville St or Tulsa

Because there is no upside to it, if we win we were suppose to win. If we lose it will be worse than losing to ULM. We are not competing with ASU in any form or fashion so why should we waste our time with them? This is a horrible idea.

But if they are forced to play they might as well do it for the ACHP

oldbear

I also have a hard time with the legislature attempting to steal money from one 501(c)(3) entity to give to another as a front for forcing two football teams to play. I'm not really sure how the legislature can force one charity to donate to another.

GreenwayTigerHog

I'm all for the game, but that isn't what the legislature should be doing.  Actually I think using "charity" as a pawn is kinda pathetic. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on March 13, 2013, 09:01:06 am
  Actually I think using "charity" as a pawn is kinda pathetic. 

Exactly.

RazorReddie

I voted YES. 

1. Childrens Hospital is a great cause

2. U of A v ASU could actually become one of the premier (in state) sporting events of the year. 

Playing it at Tetanus Memorial Stadium might help satisfy central and southern Arkansas fans who complain Fayetteville is too far to drive to a Razorback game. 

Do it !!!!!!!!!!   -    :razorback:
"Life's tough, even tougher if you're stupid"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: oldbear on March 13, 2013, 08:57:18 am
I also have a hard time with the legislature attempting to steal money from one 501(c)(3) entity to give to another as a front for forcing two football teams to play. I'm not really sure how the legislature can force one charity to donate to another.
it's BS and i will never support it or any candidate who supports it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2013, 07:26:58 am
Paying them a flat fee and a few hundred tickets while keeping all game receipts. 

I'm not talking about this proposal, it's dead on arrival, but I don't see any benefit from playing them over ASU at the same price.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RazorReddie on March 13, 2013, 09:10:21 am
I voted YES. 

2. U of A v ASU could actually become one of the premier (in state) sporting events of the year. 

Playing it at Tetanus Memorial Stadium might help satisfy central and southern Arkansas fans who complain Fayetteville is too far to drive to a Razorback game. 

sigh
@Slackaveli

Hawgndaaz

I voted YES. 

El Oh El.

That game will be the premier event of the year only for the upper NE corner of the state. Hog fans will be thinking about how to beat Bama, LSU, etc.

I roll my eyes thinking about the boners all ASU fans get while discussing this topic.

Chief Mac

I voted YES. 

what benefit is there for the U of A and what is ASU bringing to the table?  U of A is giving and ASU is taking.....thus this is not the right way for this to happen.  Additionally, priemer instate sporting events??  Really? I guess UCA vs ASU was the best game ever in the state. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HoggusMaximus

I voted YES. 

There are much easier ways to support ACHP. Why not just donate money to them? Other than that lay off the crack pipe, dumb idea is dumb.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 13, 2013, 09:17:38 am
what benefit is there for the U of A and what is ASU bringing to the table?  U of A is giving and ASU is taking.....thus this is not the right way for this to happen.  Additionally, priemer instate sporting events??  Really? I guess UCA vs ASU was the best game ever in the state. 

exactly. ASU is forcing itself upon the UofA. What glory is in that?

GoHogs1091

This is probably just ASU trying to promote themselves upward because ASU is probably worried about UCA.  ASU most likely saw that UCA's Football Team played Ole Miss tough at Oxford this past season, and ASU most likely saw that UCA's Baseball Team won 2 out of 3 games against undefeated Mississippi State (who was ranked #3 in the nation at the time) in Starkville this past weekend. 

oldhawg

Who would pay the rent on War Memorial Stadium?  :)

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: oldbear on March 13, 2013, 08:57:18 am

Its called illegal exaction and it is unconstitutional.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

I am against forced, arranged marriages. Don't let Mayberry legislatively allow ASU to rape the U of A.

TheRealRazorback

This is so stupid to even have a thread go this long arguing complete and total nonsense. Every other state outside of Arkansas has in-state schools play each other yearly. Do Ole miss and Miss St. fans boycott football because of this? Many states make rivalries. Think about it people. Fl vs Fl st, Mich vs Mich st, Bama vs Auburn, Duke vs NC, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 13, 2013, 09:19:34 am
Its called illegal exaction and it is unconstitutional.

The University of Arkansas is a 501(C)(3)?

PonderinHog

Quote from: TheRealRazorback on March 13, 2013, 09:21:43 am
This is so stupid to even have a thread go this long arguing complete and total nonsense. Every other state outside of Arkansas has in-state schools play each other yearly. Do Ole miss and Miss St. fans boycott football because of this? Many states make rivalries. Think about it people. Fl vs Fl st, Mich vs Mich st, Bama vs Auburn, Duke vs NC, etc.
Those are all BCS schools and most are conference games.

dynastyhog

Quote from: TheGunther on March 13, 2013, 06:20:16 am

You sure do sound butt hurt.  Did an ASU grad steal your girlfriend? When dealing with public institutions, legislators will always have a hand in the way state tax dollars are spent. Your UofA sports team may be privately funded, but your institution has public funds tied to it.  There is nothing corrupt about it. Funny, UofA has a free chance to punch little brother in the mouth and judging from this thread most of you are running away.

So what do want us to do?  Slap those flash cards out of your hand, jerk you up out of your wheel chair and power bomb you?  The only reason I don't want this game is b/c it does nothing for us.  I understand why a state fan would want it, but it's not our responsibility to get your school some recognition.  You beat aTm 5 or 10 years ago go bark up their tree.  Plus you guys could get a presence in texas and after ut, aTm, lsu, OU, OSU, Tulsa, Arkansas, ULL, ULM, Tulane, Houston, Rice, Baylor, TTech, Utep, New Mexico, NMSU, and about 50 other schools got their kids you guys could come in and clean up. 
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

phadedhawg

I'm for this game 150% but I don't want the gov't to get involved. 

It's kinda sad that it would take an act of Congress to get UA to play ASU.

But in the meantime please set aside "we gain nothing from this" argument.  It is without merit.  We don't gain anything for a lot of the games we play.  Just stick to "I'm afraid we would lose and ASU would laugh at me".  That's what it boils down to.

We could get blown out by ASU and it wouldn't change me and my fanhood. 

dynastyhog

Quote from: cmpledger on March 13, 2013, 08:21:02 am
Good thing we didn't play them last year, they would have curb stomped up by at least 21.

What make you think that?  Gus brought his Tulsa team in here ranked and undefeated when we were a five win team and we beat them.  Gus is 1-3 vs. the Hogs.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

hogsanity

Again, play it late in the year 2014, in Fayetteville, and pay ASU the standard rent a win fee.  And add these stipulations.  If UA wins, they can ban ASU from ever asking to play again.  If ASU wins they get a 10 year home and home contract with the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dynastyhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 13, 2013, 09:34:05 am
But in the meantime please set aside "we gain nothing from this" argument.  It is without merit.

So what do we gain then?  Let's say a kid like Korliss Marshall who has tremendous upside imo is being recruited by both schools.  We go on a 90's style stuff train and state wins a couple of games.  We start losing the marginal kids that could very well be great ball players.  How did we just win? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2013, 09:37:25 am
Again, play it late in the year 2014, in Fayetteville, and pay ASU the standard rent a win fee.  And add these stipulations.  If UA wins, they can ban ASU from ever asking to play again.  If ASU wins they get a 10 year home and home contract with the Hogs.
Naw, we should dangle a carrot on the end of a stick in front of them that says, "Maybe Next Year."

ricepig

Quote from: dynastyhog on March 13, 2013, 09:44:51 am
So what do we gain then?  Let's say a kid like Korliss Marshall who has tremendous upside imo is being recruited by both schools.  We go on a 90's style stuff train and state wins a couple of games.  We start losing the marginal kids that could very well be great ball players.  How did we just win? 

Sounds like you don't have much faith in the coaching staff, or state of the program.

cmpledger

Quote from: dynastyhog on March 13, 2013, 09:44:51 am

Are you really that scared of losing one, average at best, athlete?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2013, 09:22:03 am
The University of Arkansas is a 501(C)(3)?

and? Being a non profit does not effect whther state funds are being used for a public or private purpose.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 13, 2013, 10:14:37 am
and? Being a non profit does not effect whther state funds are being used for a public or private purpose.

I wouldn't mind to see the game, but only as a replacement for our FCS schools, it woild be more entertaining to me. This bill has no chance of passing, I think we all can agree on that. I'm also fine with the Uof A's current policy, if they change it, so be it.

dynastyhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2013, 09:47:15 am
Sounds like you don't have much faith in the coaching staff, or state of the program.

I have plenty of faith in the current staff, the BP era, even the Nutt staff to beat state.  I would not have enough faith in Danny Ford or Crowe.  Ala the 90's comment.

dynastyhog

Quote from: cmpledger on March 13, 2013, 10:09:00 am
Are you really that scared of losing one, average at best, athlete?

Average at best?  That remains to be seen.