Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legislature to force UA and ASU to play?.....

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, March 12, 2013, 05:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

99toLife

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 01, 2013, 05:44:29 pm
should i send a cookie to the mizzou ad?

If it makes you feel better go ahead..  you should send one to the ULM's AD first though.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 99toLife on April 01, 2013, 04:39:23 pm
Okay, What's our incentive to play ULM at home?   The favor to play A-State is for US only....Not A-State.  Pound them in the ground once...  they won't call back even for the money....Then we truly own the state and they will know it.

Ok. I see you can't come up with one. You give a typically sad response.

The incentive to play ULM is that it is a traditional throw away that allows Arkansas to warm up in the early season without having any negative drawbacks (cited repeatedly in this thread) and brings zero distractions.

Ready to try again on coming up with any tangible benefit for the U of A to do Jonesboro state this favor?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

99toLife

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 01, 2013, 07:09:25 pm
Ok. I see you can't come up with one. You give a typically sad response.

The incentive to play ULM is that it is a traditional throw away that allows Arkansas to warm up in the early season without having any negative drawbacks (cited repeatedly in this thread) and brings zero distractions.

Ready to try again on coming up with any tangible benefit for the U of A to do Jonesboro state this favor?

We lost to ULM, that wasn't a negative? We aren't going to lose to A-State.

Dropkick

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:13:43 am
When is the last time UM played Missouri State? I only looked back 10 years but couldn't find anything.

99toLife

Quote from: Dropkick on April 02, 2013, 09:22:34 am
When is the last time UM played Missouri State? I only looked back 10 years but couldn't find anything.

I think they played a long time ago. Don't ever hear about SWMS( Mo State) wanting to play UMC ( Mizzou).  But it wasn't part of any legislation, and it won't be in Arkansas either.

Dropkick

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:26:20 am
I think they played a long time ago. Don't ever hear about SWMS( Mo State) wanting to play UMC ( Mizzou).  But it wasn't part of any legislation, and it won't be in Arkansas either.
Mo State must not suffer from the little brother syndrome we have over here.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dropkick on April 02, 2013, 09:28:32 am

No, Mizzou is scared of them.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

99toLife

Quote from: Dropkick on April 02, 2013, 09:28:32 am

I know they have played most of the other sports against each other, but I'm not 100% sure they have ever played a football game. For some reason I think they did back in the late 70's early 80's.

A-State is only hollering to play because they have been very good latelyy, that will probably go away.  I don't recall them wanting to play when we were winning 10-11 games a year.

99toLife

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 02, 2013, 09:32:12 am
No, Mizzou is scared of them.

Maybe but they aren't afraid of A-State we do know that.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:35:14 am

Arkansas isn't afraid of playing teams from out of state either.
Mizzou playing ASU is similar to Ark. playing Missouri State (which is closer to Fayetteville than Jonesboro is)

99toLife

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 02, 2013, 09:37:39 am
Arkansas isn't afraid of playing teams from out of state either.
Mizzou playing ASU is similar to Ark. playing Missouri State (which is closer to Fayetteville than Jonesboro is)

The difference is Mo State doesn't want to play Mizzou. Mizzou would never go out of their way to play them, just as Arkansas doesn't with A-State.

ricepig

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:35:14 am

No, they don't have the money to play money cupcakes, they signed a home and home with ASU.

99toLife

Quote from: ricepig on April 02, 2013, 09:59:11 am
No, they don't have the money to play money cupcakes, they signed a home and home with ASU.

Have you seen the contract considering compensation?

ricepig

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:13:43 am

It is part of playing a game, you win some you lose some. Please try to stay on topic, and stop with the infantile dodging. You are embarrassing yourself.

Are you ever going to answer the question? Is there one single positive thing that the U of A gets out of granting ASU's wish? If so name it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 09:48:08 am
The difference is Mo State doesn't want to play Mizzou. Mizzou would never go out of their way to play them, just as Arkansas doesn't with A-State.

No problem then. Those in the position of power should be able to choose who they want to play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

99toLife

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2013, 10:17:42 am
No problem then. Those in the position of power should be able to choose who they want to play.

I agree with that, so maybe I will concede to the populous on here. I certainly don't like the idea of being forced to play anyone not in our conference.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 99toLife on April 02, 2013, 10:20:14 am
I agree with that, so maybe I will concede to the populous on here. I certainly don't like the idea of being forced to play anyone not in our conference.

Still waiting.

99toLife

hawghog

It would most likely sell out and keep all the money in state. 

99toLife

Quote from: hawghog on April 02, 2013, 02:27:12 pm

True, but nobody wants that because that's Bad!  ;)

hawghog

And if you think legislating a game into existence, or back into existence is bad.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl 

KlubhouseKonnected

Arkansas has no problem selling its tickets at WMS. And ASU gets the same 500k no matter which BCS team takes them to the woodshed, so who really cares? 500k is nothing. I hope this isn't supposed to be some kind of incentive for the U of A.

LZH

If ASU passes up a game with an Oregon or Nebraska to play Arkansas, then the money they would have been paid is 100% from out of state and a larger financial net for 'the state'.........so that argument doesn't wash.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 02, 2013, 09:13:29 pm
If ASU passes up a game with an Oregon or Nebraska to play Arkansas, then the money they would have been paid is 100% from out of state and a larger financial net for 'the state'.........so that argument doesn't wash.

This X 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  Why is this so hard to understand for some?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 02, 2013, 09:18:12 pm
This X 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  Why is this so hard to understand for some?

Thank you! It's mind-boggling that people fail to get this.

The Hogfather

Arkansas paying ASU is just moving money from NWA to NEA.  Doesn't make sense for Arkansas.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 99toLife on April 01, 2013, 04:39:23 pm
Okay, What's our incentive to play ULM at home?   The favor to play A-State is for US only....Not A-State.  Pound them in the ground once...  they won't call back even for the money....Then we truly own the state and they will know it.

How do you know they would go away? ASU has had a lifetime of beat downs. As with many small schools it is how they get their money. It is kind of like taking bad tasting medicine - you do it because it is good for you.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 16, 2013, 10:45:09 pm

Finally, the most disingenuous comments are that ASU officials are somehow against the legislature getting involved. Total baloney.

I would not buy the idea that ASU officials were unaware of this idea. The local Jonesboro representative would not have put forth a bill that ASU had a problem with.

Also, the idea that the Governor would be unaware of anything regarding ASU in terms of this topic is very difficult to swallow.

You say right.