Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legislature to force UA and ASU to play?.....

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, March 12, 2013, 05:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: RNHog on March 12, 2013, 11:56:08 pm
More people know about Monroe LA now from DUCK DYNASTY! That in itself carries a bigger TV audience than an ASU football game.

:)

WinstonWolf

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2013, 11:48:34 pm
No one outside of Arkansas would care.  Even ULM has a bigger TV audience than ASU.

Come on now LedZepHog . . . don't embarrass Robert Plant and Jimmy Page by pulling darn out of your ass!    There would be significant TV demand within the state of Arkansas if the two FBS football schools were to play.   
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:58:26 pm
Come on now LedZepHog . . . don't embarrass Robert Plant and Jimmy Page by pulling darn out of your ass!    There would be significant TV demand within the state of Arkansas if the two FBS football schools were to play.   

How much more statewide interest than any other Razorback game?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

RNHog

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:55:24 pm
You did just say you could care less.   I was simply asking how much less you could care.   

One of us is definitely stupid.   

My point was this:  Arkansas State University has no more or less to gain nationally by playing Mizzou and Auburn than they'd have to gain by playing Arkansas.

Good Grief.

hoglawyer

I'm a Hog fan and supporter and always will be.  I just happened to grow up and live in Jonesboro.  I still want ASU to do good though because it's Arkansas.  I just think it would be cool if they played because they never have.  There is no comparing the two.  At the end of the day the only reason they play is if Jeff Long can subtract a LR game without really subtracting it.  We don't play ULM as the visitor and add a game in Fayettevile.  ASU is the only school that affords Jeff this luxury.  We all know he wants to play once in LR rather than twice.  It would have already happened but for the political fallout. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RNHog on March 13, 2013, 12:01:28 am
Good Grief.

He's making a point with  you.  You said you could care less.  You should have said you COULDN'T care less.

That's the deal.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TOM "tbw1"

The following is a previous post by Winston.

Whatever it takes to get folks interested in stAte football!
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WinstonWolf

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 13, 2013, 12:00:55 am
How much more statewide interest than any other Razorback game?

Well I'm not sure.   But there were at least 3 TV stations in Arkansas that broadcast the NIT game in  '87.   So, my point is that there is significantly more interest/demand for the Razorbacks vs. stAte than there would be for any other Razorbacks vs. Sun Belt or FCS game.
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

RNHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 13, 2013, 12:04:31 am
He's making a point with  you.  You said you could care less.  You should have said you COULDN'T care less.

That's the deal.

Could, couldn't. Doesn't make a damn to me.

Point is I don't care either way.

LZH

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:58:26 pm

I'm not really talking about in-state interest.  I'm sure somebody would bill it as "the first time ever" and televise it.  But demand?  That's a strong word when you're talking about TV ratings.

I'm saying that unless Arkansas is coming off a really good year, we still need another out-of-state team with decent TV coverage to warrant a network game.  Bobby's better teams did pretty well with out-of-state TV ratings, and so did Nutt's teams with DMac.  I don't see any 'demand' for an ASU-Arkansas game unless the Hogs are doing really well or have a star player to sell.  In-state?...OK, sure.  But there's not enough TV's in Arkansas to trump an Auburn-Troy or LSU-ULL matchup.

TOM "tbw1"

Those three stations carried each available Razorback game in 87.

BUT, as you said in a previous post:   Whatever it takes to get folks interested in stAte football!

RNHog

Yes, there is "interest" in this game being played but that is it.  Demand, from who? ASU fans? Outside of them, no one cares for this game. No more than people giving a crap about LSU drumming ULL.

Hogsfan1981

This is now the second dumbest thing I have seen today.

It proves it is a stupid idea when the government is leading the way.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RNHog on March 13, 2013, 12:08:23 am
Could, couldn't. Doesn't make a damn to me.

Point is I don't care either way.

Well, I don't want it to happen, but I have a bad feeling that somewhere down the road it will.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Razorback_Drummer_19

Yay. More for me to hear about from my stAte friends. Howl Yeah.. Or something. ::hornsdown::
"Don't practice something 'til you get it right, practice it 'til you can't get it wrong."

WinstonWolf

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2013, 12:10:22 am
I'm not really talking about in-state interest.  I'm sure somebody would bill it as "the first time ever" and televise it.  But demand?  That's a strong word when you're talking about TV ratings.

I'm saying that unless Arkansas is coming off a really good year, we still need another out-of-state team with decent TV coverage to warrant a network game.  Bobby's better teams did pretty well with out-of-state TV ratings, and so did Nutt's teams with DMac.  I don't see any 'demand' for an ASU-Arkansas game unless the Hogs are doing really well or have a star player to sell.  In-state?...OK, sure.  But there's not enough TV's in Arkansas to trump an Auburn-Troy or LSU-ULL matchup.

I'm just talking about U of A playing stAte in LR as opposed to ULM or Troy or other Sun Belt schools.  I think your point about Troy playing Auburn and stAte playing U of A is solid.   There would be much more total profit (revenue less travel expenses) in that scenario than the one in which stAte gets paid to play @ Auburn and Troy gets paid to play @ U of A.   
Even without the TV windfall if U of A designated the LR game as an Arkansas State home game wrt TV rights.

I could give a darn if we play.   I just detest the argument that it is a financial wash.   It isn't.

LZH

Quote from: RNHog on March 13, 2013, 12:15:45 am
Yes, there is "interest" in this game being played but that is it.  Demand, from who? ASU fans? Outside of them, no one cares for this game. No more than people giving a crap about LSU drumming ULL.

Yeah, there will be fans in Arkansas interested in the game.  But when I think of demand, I'm thinking network-TV money.  Local businesses are only gonna pony up so much $$$ for an ad spot for a LR station to broadcast the game (small potatoes).  It takes deep pockets like Ford, Microsoft, Nike, Coke, etc. to bring in the big money to make it worth a network's trouble...not just because "folks in Arkansas are interested".

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 13, 2013, 12:21:16 am

I'm just talking about U of A playing stAte in LR as opposed to ULM or Troy or other Sun Belt schools.  I think your point about Troy playing Auburn and stAte playing U of A is solid.   There would be much more total profit (revenue less travel expenses) in that scenario than the one in which stAte gets paid to play @ Auburn and Troy gets paid to play @ U of A.   
Even without the TV windfall if U of A designated the LR game as an Arkansas State home game wrt TV rights.

I could give a darn if we play.   I just detest the argument that it is a financial wash.   It isn't.

BUT, as you said in a previous post:   Whatever it takes to get folks interested in stAte football!

RNHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2013, 12:21:56 am
Yeah, there will be fans in Arkansas interested in the game.  But when I think of demand, I'm thinking network-TV money.  Local businesses are only gonna pony up so much $$$ for an ad spot for a LR station to broadcast the game (small potatoes).  It takes deep pockets like Ford, Microsoft, Nike, Coke, etc. to bring in the big money to make it worth a network's trouble...not just because "folks in Arkansas are interested".

Exactly.

This thing will not be in any for or fashion be like the Iron Bowl. Or FSU vs Florida/Miami. Or Ole Miss vs Miss State. Or Texas Vs Texas AM. Or OK state vs OK. And the only reason OK state vs OK is even big is because of ole money man Pickens. He put them on the map with his pocketbook. And ASU doesn't have the pocket book to become that over night. And NEVER will.

RNHog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 13, 2013, 12:25:06 am

He has yet to acknowledge that!

LZH

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 13, 2013, 12:21:16 am

I don't think you understand what I am saying.  I'm not talking about travel expenses, etc.  I'm talking about TV money.  An Auburn-Troy matchup would bring more TV's to ESPN than an ASU-Arkansas matchup.

LZH

I should have known better than to jump into this sober.

Hogsfan1981

Torqued pork

I would support a bill that bans the legislature from having sessions.

hoghiker

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on March 13, 2013, 04:28:22 am
Two votes at least. Count me in.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The Hogfather

Big Dog

Here is a thought. Who will be the home team? The city of Little Rock charges around $75,000 to play in Little Rock. Offer ASU $200k for the game and only 3,000 tickets and make the rest of the tickets only to be able to purchase by buying the whole Little Rock game package. Then make both schools split the $250k that is supposed to be raised for the denotation. Then tell Little Rock that once the contract with playing games in Little Rock is over then they are done playing in Little Rock because every time the Hogs come to Little Rock they lose money. What a lot of people don't realize is that all of the club seating in Razorback Stadium makes more money than one game in Little Rock.

Hogfaniam

March 13, 2013, 08:23:13 am #178 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:24:37 am by Hogfaniam
Quote from: The Hogfather on March 13, 2013, 07:32:03 am
Everyone vote NO!

Yes is by a large margin..  5600 total votes so far.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Brownstreak on March 13, 2013, 07:11:40 am
The Arkansas legislature has the nation's highest percentage of state lawmakers who have not attended college at all, according to a new study by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Rep. Harold Copenhaver is a graduate of ASU. In the early-to-mid 1980's, I remember that he was actively involved with a movement to make the ASU campus a "Hog Free Zone". The goal was to rid the campus of any Hog clothing, license plates, etc. They even had signs posted on the doors of campus buldings stating that the area was a "Hog Free Zone".
I took a few summer school courses at that time. I made the mistake of wearing a Razorback t-shirt on the first day of class. After class, my marketing professor told me that if I expected to pass his class, I wouldn't ever wear a t-shirt with a "danged" Hog on it again. It was comical.
I'm so thankful my name is etched in the sidewalk on the UofA campus.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The Hogfather

The same person can vote 111111119891891278178982 times.  Stupid poll.

dynastyhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 13, 2013, 08:54:50 am
The same person can vote 111111119891891278178982 times.  Stupid poll.

How?  Slow day at the office.   :D
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

hoglady

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on March 13, 2013, 04:28:22 am

A big Amen to that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: Big Dog on March 13, 2013, 08:19:23 am
Here is a thought. Who will be the home team? The city of Little Rock charges around $75,000 to play in Little Rock. Offer ASU $200k for the game and only 3,000 tickets and make the rest of the tickets only to be able to purchase by buying the whole Little Rock game package. Then make both schools split the $250k that is supposed to be raised for the denotation. Then tell Little Rock that once the contract with playing games in Little Rock is over then they are done playing in Little Rock because every time the Hogs come to Little Rock they lose money. What a lot of people don't realize is that all of the club seating in Razorback Stadium makes more money than one game in Little Rock.

Little Rock doesn't charge squat.
War Memorial is owned by the State of Arkansas not the City of Little Rock.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RazorReddie

There are no losers in this proposal.  It's a great idea and is an approach taken by most other states around the country.  Raising money for charity is great, but I think you will find the biggest beneficiary of the game will be the fans and players.  GO HOGS !!!!!
"Life's tough, even tougher if you're stupid"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RazorReddie on March 13, 2013, 09:23:34 am
There are no losers in this proposal.  It's a great idea and is an approach taken by most other states around the country.  Raising money for charity is great, but I think you will find the biggest beneficiary of the game will be the fans and players.  GO HOGS !!!!!

Yes, the UofA will lose money. They already leave approx. $1 million on the table by playing in LR instead of Fayetteville, now they will be asked to donate even more of the revenues to charity. In addition, you can bet that ASU will demand more than the usual allotment of tickets provided to a visiting non-conference opponent, thus costing the UofA even more money.

GoHogs1091

This is probably just ASU trying to promote themselves upward because ASU is probably worried about UCA.  ASU most likely saw that UCA's Football Team played Ole Miss tough at Oxford this past season, and ASU most likely saw that UCA's Baseball Team won 2 out of 3 games against undefeated Mississippi State (who was ranked #3 in the nation at the time) in Starkville this past weekend. 

Redhogs

Quote from: elviscat on March 12, 2013, 05:40:32 pm
The Republican party is setting this state backwards. First, it is the gun for everyone movement, shoot-out at OK Corral is coming but don't asked me to show that I have a state  gun permit. Then the state college movement where professors can carry firearms, next will be students will be able to arm themselves. Then we will able to carry our permitted guns to Razorback sporting events and maybe allowing mixing a little hooch along the way. Shoot-out at the old ballgame. I didn't know the gun was loaded.
Now, the next wonderful piece- We support life and know damn women has any rights to say no. Guns bullets and life is our motto. But when life comes into the world don't asked me to support it, you are on your on. Also, less attack public education because the state is spending 6700.00 a year per child and that's a lot of money. Just think we can come up with a charter school and some online education service( Jeff Bush) and we will get rich. The big boys are behind this movement, Waltons, Bushes, Kock brothers.
Remember it's the guns, bullets, babies and tax cuts for the rick this is what we stand for. We are Republicans!!!
The prototype lofo voter, you are. Our rights and freedoms are being taken from us daily by the current dictator in chief and and his henchmen as they work away daily...and idiots like you...it's Bushes fault. Truly frightening.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on March 12, 2013, 05:06:38 pm
this is bull...this is none of the government's dang business and surely they have better things to do.... http://www.katv.com/story/21595128/u-of-a-vs-asu-arkansas-legislature-could-lay-down-the-law

This legislature just needs to wrap it up and go home.  The kook index over at the Capitol has already hit an all time high.  The General Assembly is basically 150 solutions desperately seeking a problem.

Conservatives were sent to the General Assembly for less governmental intrusion, not to come up with new forms of governmental intrusion that they find more agreeable.  If they don't have the sense to legislate less, they should at least have the decency to go home.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hoggtown

I've never heard you pigs squeal so loud.......

adave

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 13, 2013, 09:35:26 am
This is probably just ASU trying to promote themselves upward because ASU is probably worried about UCA.  ASU most likely saw that UCA's Football Team played Ole Miss tough at Oxford this past season, and ASU most likely saw that UCA's Baseball Team won 2 out of 3 games against undefeated Mississippi State (who was ranked #3 in the nation at the time) in Starkville this past weekend. 

Yeah that has to be it.  Most everything revolves around UCA.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 13, 2013, 07:32:03 am
Everyone vote NO!

Freaking all of ASU fans must be winning cause the "yes" are ahead right now.... Geez
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

NaturalStateReb

I doubt that UCA figures much into ASU's equation.  UCA's got a nice program, but there's still a big jump from I-AA and I-A in terms of dollars, talent, and infrastructure.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on March 13, 2013, 12:46:45 am
Andy Mayberry

andymayberry@windstream.net

501-888-3522

Harold Copenhaver

harolduiagency@yahoo.com

870-919-2930

Are these real?  If so I am going to call these 2 stupid MF'ers every 4 letter word in the book then go after their mom's.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 13, 2013, 09:45:29 am
Are these real?  If so I am going to call these 2 stupid MF'ers every 4 letter word in the book then go after their mom's.

Don't know, but I'm not surprised.  Copenhaver represents Jonesboro, so that makes sense, and Mayberry's always open to a publicity stunt.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 13, 2013, 09:44:55 am
I doubt that UCA figures much into ASU's equation.  UCA's got a nice program, but there's still a big jump from I-AA and I-A in terms of dollars, talent, and infrastructure.

There is no big jump for UCA in regards to the talent on their Football Team.  98 total wins since 2000 says/shows that there isn't a big talent difference.  UCA also definitely doesn't have a difference in regards to coaching (comparing their Head Football Coach to FBS Head Coaches).  In fact, UCA's Head Football Coach is probably a better Football Coach than around 90% to 95% of the Div. 1 FBS Head Football Coaches.     

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hoggtown on March 13, 2013, 09:41:58 am
I've never heard you pigs squeal so loud.......

Yeah, pigs tend to squeal a bit when some free-loader tries to suck on a teet.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 13, 2013, 09:50:58 am
There is no big jump for UCA in regards to the talent on their Football Team.  98 total wins since 2000 says/shows that there isn't a big talent difference.  UCA also definitely doesn't have a difference in regards to coaching (comparing their Head Football Coach FBS Head Coaches).  In fact, UCA's Head Football Coach is probably a better Football Coach than around 90% to 95% of the Div. 1 FBS Head Football Coaches.   

Ease up there, Francis.  I go to plenty of UCA games and I think Conque's a great coach.  98 wins over that time is great, but they're still against I-AA competition.  The overall level of talent at the I-A level is just greater than the overall talent level at I-AA, even in the Sunbelt. 

When it comes to facilities and dollars, there's no comparison between UCA and ASU.  UCA has a very good I-AA football stadium, and the baseball stadium is nice.  But ASU's stadium is larger and well kept, and there's no real comparison between the Farris Center (which I was in two weeks ago for a ballgame) and the Convocation Center.

The Hogfather

hogfanssay

ASU beat UCA 53-24 when they played them in football a couple of years ago. Seems like ASU only ran the ball in the second half too. UCA isn't even close to being a threat to ASU.