Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legislature to force UA and ASU to play?.....

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, March 12, 2013, 05:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tusksincolorado

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 12, 2013, 08:50:23 pm
Hitler , Stalin and Mussalini[sp] like your view that churches should be seperated from the government

Oh, and since this is the position you insist on discussing, I assume that all Allotahs (sp), and all Taliban support your position of Church and State not being separated?
When do the "stonings" begin? 
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 12, 2013, 09:27:37 pm
Oh, and since this is the position you insist on discussing, I assume that all Allotahs (sp), and all Taliban support your position of Church and State not being separated?
When do the "stonings" begin? 

BOOM!!!
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 12, 2013, 09:27:14 pm
BTW diverting funds to those "charities" is possible an illegal exaction in violation of the Arkansas Constitution.

True. So now, the UofA has to sacrifice a portion of their gate receipts for a donation to the Children's Hospital or the Ark Sports Hall of Fame?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2013, 09:24:00 pm
I've skied in Aspen every year since 1978,  I don't need Crested Butte. And those pot holes, thery're there every year, so I guess they don't fix them very well. Oh, these mosquitoes, they come out of my rice fieds,, that's money to me.

And the snow that causes those pot holes....you wouldn't believe but that's money to me. Next time your up,shout, I live in Avon.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 12, 2013, 09:29:29 pm
True. So now, the UofA has to sacrifice a portion of their gate receipts for a donation to the Children's Hospital or the Ark Sports Hall of Fame?

Hopefully some UA law grad will challenge if it passes.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 12, 2013, 09:58:58 pm
One of my favorite towns in Colorado. We stayed at the condos right by the roundabout.

I love roundabouts....especially when folks don't understand the concept!

JUST KEEP MOVING!!! DONT STOP!!! PLEASE!!!

WashUhog6

March 12, 2013, 10:06:00 pm #106 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:16:55 pm by UCAhog6
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 12, 2013, 08:50:23 pm
Hitler , Stalin and Mussalini[sp] like your view that churches should be seperated from the government
And Hussein and Ahmadinejad do not. What's your point?

It's absolute garbage that our state legislature is wasting time on this. I don't know why I'm surprised, though, this is the same legislature that has passed/is working on abortion legislation that's going to get shot down in the courts and in the meantime cost the state time and money defending it. They're already wasting time when they should, in theory, be doing things to help the state.

tusksincolorado

Ok time for my favorite TV show....Justified!

GO HAWGS!

OH, RNHAWG and Tophawg19, afterwards I will probably watch......"THE AMERICANS"!

RNHog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 12, 2013, 10:08:16 pm
Ok time for my favorite TV show....Justified!

GO HAWGS!

OH, and RNHAWG, afterwards I will probably watch......"THE AMERICANS"!

Ok.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 12, 2013, 10:06:01 pm
We sat on the deck a few times and just watched the traffic. Inevitably, an RV would pull into it and stop.

That's when you NEED the SUPPRESSOR!

Ironhawg

March 12, 2013, 10:22:39 pm #110 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:40:00 pm by Ironhawg
This is just a crock.  ASU can't support their athletic department on their own, so they are going to reach into the UA pocket like common thieves.  Anybody thinks that this is good for both schools needs to think again.  UA has absolutely nothing whatsoever to gain and everything to lose. This is an attempt by ASU to build themselves up while trying to simultaneously tear down UA.  The worst thing is claiming the game is about charity and using ACH as a shield to hide their true motives.  That is just despicable.

hoglawyer

I live in Jonesboro and grew up in Jonesboro, but received an undergraduate and doctorate from U of A.  I am a fan of both but Razorbacks first and foremost.  I say play the game every year in War Memorial.  On the schedule Hogs are Visitor every year.  Thus U of A removes one LR home game each year and adds a home game to RRS.  Addition by subtraction.  We still play in LR twice but only one as home game.  We require ASU to split gate and concessions.  Then we add home opponent to Fayettville to make up for lost home game in LR.  U of A then would have increased wins, increased revenue from 8-9 games in state and gains politically by continuing to play twice in LR.  Most realistic and educated fans know ASU can't compete with U of A.  The reality is that the tradition and conference affiliation can never be overcome by ASU.  However, there are a lot of Arkansans that are Sun Belt type athletes but not SEC athletes.  They deserve our support and they deserve to play in that type environment.  I would much rather watch U of A v. ASU than U of A v. Missouri State or ULM.  It's a no lose proposition for us.  Even if ASU won once a decade, we aren't going to lose athletes to ASU.  ASU will never be in a conference or on the level of U of A.  They know that.  So embrace and use it as an opportunity to watch Arkansas kids play in front of fans they dream about.  There is on average 20 to 30 Div I athletes per year in our state.  Probably the max that are SEC quality is 10 to 12 per year.  I want the others to stay in state to play for the other Div. I school.  They deserve our support also.

Mike Irwin

This has been tried a couple of times before that I recall. It's always a NE Arkansas politician or one with ties to ASU trying to score points.

I don't think it's ever gotten to a vote. Most legislators realize they have more pressing matters than to start telling state universities who they should schedule in athletics.

HogCzar1

The pure stupidity of our legislators never ceases to amaze me. This topic has been discussed a million times.

I am so tired of this. It is almost to a point where I wish the legislature would force it. Then lets spend our entire summer pointing to this game. Wally, Harry King, and others can write about it. Lets create a situation where we make sure that ASU can benefit at the expense of the UA.

Then after the ASU game, we can relax as the rest of the season would be anti-climatic afterwards. Forget about LSU, Bama, Auburn, etc. Lets make sure we can find that true rival people have been dreaming of. And, when after a few years the schools begin to even out in terms of revenue, statewide support, and exposure then we will be in a much stronger position to say "why in the world didn't we do this years ago?"

After creating an environment which makes it harder for UA to compete vs. the SEC, then we will see what we really need to do. Lets create that unique intrastate conference so we can keep all of the money in the state. Absolutely all of it. Every last dime.

Then everyone will be happy.

Just brilliant.

Horthawg

Another publicity stunt. It'll go nowhere.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Runt

Quote from: hoglawyer on March 12, 2013, 10:23:00 pm
I live in Jonesboro and grew up in Jonesboro, but received an undergraduate and doctorate from U of A.  I am a fan of both but Razorbacks first and foremost.  I say play the game every year in War Memorial.  On the schedule Hogs are Visitor every year.  Thus U of A removes one LR home game each year and adds a home game to RRS.  Addition by subtraction.  We still play in LR twice but only one as home game.  We require ASU to split gate and concessions.  Then we add home opponent to Fayettville to make up for lost home game in LR.  U of A then would have increased wins, increased revenue from 8-9 games in state and gains politically by continuing to play twice in LR.  Most realistic and educated fans know ASU can't compete with U of A.  The reality is that the tradition and conference affiliation can never be overcome by ASU.  However, there are a lot of Arkansans that are Sun Belt type athletes but not SEC athletes.  They deserve our support and they deserve to play in that type environment.  I would much rather watch U of A v. ASU than U of A v. Missouri State or ULM.  It's a no lose proposition for us.  Even if ASU won once a decade, we aren't going to lose athletes to ASU.  ASU will never be in a conference or on the level of U of A.  They know that.  So embrace and use it as an opportunity to watch Arkansas kids play in front of fans they dream about.  There is on average 20 to 30 Div I athletes per year in our state.  Probably the max that are SEC quality is 10 to 12 per year.  I want the others to stay in state to play for the other Div. I school.  They deserve our support also.
Bull S---

josh_sec33

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 12, 2013, 10:30:20 pm
This has been tried a couple of times before that I recall. It's always a NE Arkansas politician or one with ties to ASU trying to score points.

I don't think it's ever gotten to a vote. Most legislators realize they have more pressing matters than to start telling state universities who they should schedule in athletics.

With this session. I dunno. Have you SEEN all of the tripe that's come out of there so far and not one economic law yet?
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HogCzar1

Quote from: hoglawyer on March 12, 2013, 10:23:00 pm

When you said that it is a no lose proposition for UA, you lost all credibility. Totally.

KlubhouseKonnected

It is offensive that this grand stander is veiling more of his pandering as a charitable move.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: elviscat on March 12, 2013, 05:40:32 pm
The Republican party is setting this state backwards. First, it is the gun for everyone movement, shoot-out at OK Corral is coming but don't asked me to show that I have a state  gun permit. Then the state college movement where professors can carry firearms, next will be students will be able to arm themselves. Then we will able to carry our permitted guns to Razorback sporting events and maybe allowing mixing a little hooch along the way. Shoot-out at the old ballgame. I didn't know the gun was loaded.
Now, the next wonderful piece- We support life and know damn women has any rights to say no. Guns bullets and life is our motto. But when life comes into the world don't asked me to support it, you are on your on. Also, less attack public education because the state is spending 6700.00 a year per child and that's a lot of money. Just think we can come up with a charter school and some online education service( Jeff Bush) and we will get rich. The big boys are behind this movement, Waltons, Bushes, Kock brothers.
Remember it's the guns, bullets, babies and tax cuts for the rick this is what we stand for. We are Republicans!!!

Mr. Elviscat, you should seriously consider seeing a therapist! 

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Ironhawg

Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 12, 2013, 10:36:05 pm

When you said that it is a no lose proposition for UA, you lost all credibility. Totally.

+1.

HatfieldHog

I can tell you folk.  My state Representative will hear about this.  There is no reason to try to make this happen.  John Barnhill set the standard that "you never give your fanbase a chance to divide!"

Sadly enough to say, this sounds like something Texans would do!  Excuse me, have done!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

hoglady

If those "yahoo's" think this is what they should be spending their time on - then the voters in their districts should give them plenty of free time next election.
Serious times call for serious people looking for serious answers. Not this BS.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglawyer

Did you read the post?  How do you lose by playing ASU rather than Missouri State or ULM?  We add a home game and a win every year.  Give reasons rather a stupid post like Bull S_ _ _ and+1.

HogCzar1

Quote from: hoglawyer on March 12, 2013, 10:46:30 pm
Did you read the post?  How do you lose by playing ASU rather than Missouri State or ULM?  We add a home game and a win every year.  Give reasons rather a stupid post like Bull S_ _ _ and+1.

OK. An earlier post on this I wrote in a response to Mike Irwin.

As usual, excellent post by Mike. For those such as the ASU fan from Little Rock, and others, let me add something. Let me give you a specific example of how this would cause the UA potential problems.

There is a businessman from East and another from NE Arkansas. They are significant donors to the UA. They still do business with ASU supporters. If there is direct competition between the two schools, then there will be people look much more closely at what each businessman gives both schools. Therefore, if the supporter gives 10,000 to UA each year, maybe next year he feels compelled to split it 5,000 each. This in order to minimize any "hard" feelings from his customers.

I actually live in a city with 2 5A high schools. TRUST me, people know who supports each financially. Business people are not going to risk alienating half their customers, so they split support. You wind up with 2 average schools instead of one excellent school capable of competing at the highest level.

It is this "leakage" of support that would do nothing but increase gradually. It would do nothing but diminish the UA's current support, while certainly enhancing ASU's. Why do you people think they are so adamant about the game from the ASU administration side?

There have been some absolutely ridiculous claims about "keeping the money in the state". As has been stated several times, that has been debunked. That money that is referred to comes from a VAST majority of people who support UA. I have not seen the ASU stadium completely filled yet. And by that, I mean tickets sold with a butt in every single seat. It hasn't happened. And, certainly hasnt come close without local businesses buying tickets in large chunks to give away. The local hospital bought huge chunk of tickets to give away for the final home game this past season.

ASU is a good school. There are good people there. They have some good programs. Their football program has had 2 very fortunate things happen to them in the past couple of years with Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn. They also have the state's highest official who is basically working as the school's athletic director at the same time he runs the state. Time will tell if they are able to maintain this after the governor leaves, and if the new coach cannot maintain the momentum.

The reality is that ASU cannot afford to compete at a level in which they aspire to. They do not have a large TV market, and they do not reside in an area that is economically thriving. They do not have the facilities to attract a larger conference, and that has been exemplified by the fact that many other schools from the nearly depleted Sun Belt conference have been plucked away before ASU.

I want to have a program that has an established fanbase along with enough financial resources to compete at the nation's highest level. Arkansas does so in the SEC. That FACT was noted by the recent Forbes article which stated the UA has one of the top 10 valuable programs in America. ASU does not. That's not a knock. It's a fact. I, along with many others, do not agree with Wally Hall that our most exciting sporting event we have ever seen was not Scotty Thurman's 3 vs. Duke, or Cobi's touchdown catch vs LSU on national TV at the end of the first half, but, rather the 1987 ASU basketball game. A game that sports fans outside Arkansas have no idea about, nor care about in terms of significance.

I am tired of the people who rant about what ASU is owed. I am also tired of those who secretly wish for a situation where they had the UA's hand but want the UA to fold theirs. Most notably those from Mississippi. I do not see Missouri clamoring for a game with Missouri State. I do not see Nebraska clamoring for an in state opponent either.

If you like ASU, that's great. Go support them. Write them a check. Go buy some Red Wolves garb and wear it proudly. But leave the state's most nationally recognizable brand alone. I, for one, am not interested in seeing it potentially diminished when there is absolutely nothing that would enhance that brand in terms of in-state competition.

hoglawyer

There are few fans of both schools that would choose ASU over U of A.  You are not going to divide a fan base by playing them.  You don't undo a hundred years of tradition and playing in the SEC by POSSIBLY losing one game every 20 years.  The better question is why does ASU want to schedule a loss every year.  Last I read ASU was trying to get away from scheduling money games.

The Boar War

Trying to figure out how this bill (if passed) would "cause their respective NCAA varsity football teams to play each other".  Not only that but apparently "they" also have the power to determine the site and the destination of the proceeds.

Even if this bill passes I assume that Jeff Long and the rest of the athletic department will go right ahead and continue to schedule games that benefit the University of Arkansas.

I wish the legislature would forget the zoo and War Memorial Stadium and try to "benefit" our educational system.

LZH

Quote from: arkansastrack on March 12, 2013, 06:17:31 pm
Most importantly the state legislature wants the UofA to sacrifice MILLIONS for this?!?

The joke about the "benefit" game is where does that money come from? It should not come from UofA profits. I would also imagine the gate, concession, etc. would be split between the 2 schools. Which again is unacceptable.

Someone should introduce legislation that these two morons have to spend their own personal money as the citizens see fit for as long as they're in office.  They should be forced to buy their groceries, clothes, cars, etc. from the crummiest, shadiest, and least profitable businesses in the state.  That way it would be 'fair' and support the companies of Arkansas that are lagging waaaaaay behind - so it's like charity.  Everyone should email them and see how they'd like it.  I'm certain they wouldn't have any problem with it since they kinda came up with the idea in the first place.

I don't really care if they ever play or not.  Years ago I was in favor of it, sort of.  But since Arkansas would gain nothing and lose money I agree it would be pointless.  Either way, it's none of these goober's business.  I hope this grandstanding comes back to bite both of them in the ass.

Maybe UCA, ArkTech, and UAPB should petition the state to force ASU to play them each year as well.  I mean, since they're taking money back to Jonesboro from playing the Hogs, they should be forced to spread it around to their lesser neighbors.  It would take alot of gall to run off to places like Eugene, Lincoln, and Auburn when they have the responsibility of supporting their 'little brothers' right here in Arkansas.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 12, 2013, 10:52:05 pm

As usual, excellent post by Mike. For those such as the ASU fan from Little Rock, and others, let me add something. Let me give you a specific example of how this would cause the UA potential problems.

There is a businessman from East and another from NE Arkansas. They are significant donors to the UA. They still do business with ASU supporters. If there is direct competition between the two schools, then there will be people look much more closely at what each businessman gives both schools. Therefore, if the supporter gives 10,000 to UA each year, maybe next year he feels compelled to split it 5,000 each. This in order to minimize any "hard" feelings from his customers.

I actually live in a city with 2 5A high schools. TRUST me, people know who supports each financially. Business people are not going to risk alienating half their customers, so they split support. You wind up with 2 average schools instead of one excellent school capable of competing at the highest level.

It is this "leakage" of support that would do nothing but increase gradually. It would do nothing but diminish the UA's current support, while certainly enhancing ASU's. Why do you people think they are so adamant about the game from the ASU administration side?

There have been some absolutely ridiculous claims about "keeping the money in the state". As has been stated several times, that has been debunked. That money that is referred to comes from a VAST majority of people who support UA. I have not seen the ASU stadium completely filled yet. And by that, I mean tickets sold with a butt in every single seat. It hasn't happened. And, certainly hasnt come close without local businesses buying tickets in large chunks to give away. The local hospital bought huge chunk of tickets to give away for the final home game this past season.

ASU is a good school. There are good people there. They have some good programs. Their football program has had 2 very fortunate things happen to them in the past couple of years with Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn. They also have the state's highest official who is basically working as the school's athletic director at the same time he runs the state. Time will tell if they are able to maintain this after the governor leaves, and if the new coach cannot maintain the momentum.

The reality is that ASU cannot afford to compete at a level in which they aspire to. They do not have a large TV market, and they do not reside in an area that is economically thriving. They do not have the facilities to attract a larger conference, and that has been exemplified by the fact that many other schools from the nearly depleted Sun Belt conference have been plucked away before ASU.

I want to have a program that has an established fanbase along with enough financial resources to compete at the nation's highest level. Arkansas does so in the SEC. That FACT was noted by the recent Forbes article which stated the UA has one of the top 10 valuable programs in America. ASU does not. That's not a knock. It's a fact. I, along with many others, do not agree with Wally Hall that our most exciting sporting event we have ever seen was not Scotty Thurman's 3 vs. Duke, or Cobi's touchdown catch vs LSU on national TV at the end of the first half, but, rather the 1987 ASU basketball game. A game that sports fans outside Arkansas have no idea about, nor care about in terms of significance.

I am tired of the people who rant about what ASU is owed. I am also tired of those who secretly wish for a situation where they had the UA's hand but want the UA to fold theirs. Most notably those from Mississippi. I do not see Missouri clamoring for a game with Missouri State. I do not see Nebraska clamoring for an in state opponent either.

If you like ASU, that's great. Go support them. Write them a check. Go buy some Red Wolves garb and wear it proudly. But leave the state's most nationally recognizable brand alone. I, for one, am not interested in seeing it potentially diminished when there is absolutely nothing that would enhance that brand in terms of in-state competition.

+1.   It's been said on here several times in many ways, but either the pro-game group doesn't believe it or they don't care.  I don't know which.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Justifiable Hogicide

Goofball Andy Mayberry + goofball Jonesboro legislator = this craptastic Bill being introduced to force a football game that is against the best interests of the University of Arkansas.

WinstonWolf

Quote from: roothog229 on March 12, 2013, 06:25:11 pm

Pathetic. Beyond pathetic. ASU's endowment is $11 million.

This is absolutely false.   Don't care if we play - but this is not correct. 
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

LZH

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:06:37 pm

This is absolutely false.   Don't care if we play - but this is not correct. 

You are right, it's $31M.

WinstonWolf

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

RNHog

Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 12, 2013, 10:52:05 pm

Excellent post. Great analogy as well with the two 5A schools deal.

LZH

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:24:50 pm
I don't think that is correct either.   But I'm no CPA. 

http://www.astatefoundation.org/view/97

I got $31M from wikipedia.  They're always right.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Thanks to the government this is happening.  Now no one can be a chicken chits. If u don't want this game then don't watch it but I bet you get tickets so we can watch the hogs beat that ass. I love it n go hogs

WinstonWolf

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2013, 11:27:17 pm
I got $31M from wikipedia.  They're always right.

I think Dr. Welch called it "about 40 Million" recently on the radio.   Definitely need more sugar daddy alums. 

hoglawyer

Really!!! Great analogy with two 5A schools and the SEC with Sunbelt?  We gain millions with adding a home game in Fayetteville and keeping two games in LR, just one as a pseudo road game.

HogCzar1

Quote from: hoglawyer on March 12, 2013, 10:57:32 pm
There are few fans of both schools that would choose ASU over U of A.  You are not going to divide a fan base by playing them.  You don't undo a hundred years of tradition and playing in the SEC by POSSIBLY losing one game every 20 years.  The better question is why does ASU want to schedule a loss every year.  Last I read ASU was trying to get away from scheduling money games.

I took you up on your offer. Your statement that "you are not going to divide a fan base by playing them" is your opinion. You do not know what would happen. Neither do I. But, you cannot support the notion that it might not hurt the UA, especially long term. Period.

ASU would gladly schedule this loss in order to have an opportunity to reduce the unique statewide support that the UA enjoys from any number of angles.

RNHog

Personally, I could care less if AR and ASU play. If they play each other or not, I won't lose sleep on the subject.

The problem I have is how these so called "public servants" are dabbling into something that is not an issue in the state of Arkansas that needs to be addressed. We are paying our tax dollars to these people to advance our state but this is some BS they can come up with. THAT I have a problem with.

Finally, I think we as a state get caught up with this whole fantasy of a "in state Rivalry" thing. Supporters from both schools take their innocent little jabs at each other just for kicks and giggles but it means nothing. I personally could care less who people in the state of Arkansas support. If you wear Red wolves stuff, great. If you wear Hog stuff great. I think their is a misconception that just because the state school is the UofA that EVERYONE has to be a hog fan. Or that just because NEA has ASU everyone has to be a wolf fan. I don't support ASU but I do recognize them as an athletic school in their own realm. But that's where they need to stay.

Go Hogs. We have bigger fish to worry with other than Arkansas State University.

RNHog

Quote from: hoglawyer on March 12, 2013, 11:34:27 pm
Really!!! Great analogy with two 5A schools and the SEC with Sunbelt?  We gain millions with adding a home game in Fayetteville and keeping two games in LR, just one as a pseudo road game.

Like it or not, but in that region I can see it happening. There are some hard core ASU fans out there who love the hogs who would switch alliances completely if that happened. Some people would be forced to swich sides and it all comes down to money and donations. And someone would take a HUGE hit in the end.

LZH

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on March 12, 2013, 11:29:58 pm
Thanks to the government this is happening.  Now no one can be a chicken chits. If u don't want this game then don't watch it but I bet you get tickets so we can watch the hogs beat that ass. I love it n go hogs

Tickets are chicken feed compared to TV money.  ASU has nothing to sell.  Their share will come from Arkansas' pockets 'cause no one outside of this state would spend three-plus hours watching this game.  If ASU would just take a paycheck and a couple thousand tickets (which you know damn well some would be re-sold to Hog fans) like any other cupcake, at least they'd have a better chance at making an arguement.  If Jeff Long offered them $500K for a one-time deal in RRS I'd be shocked if ASU took it....and then you'd see the real reason for the injuns wanting to play the Hogs.

WinstonWolf

Quote from: RNHog on March 12, 2013, 11:34:53 pm
Personally, I could care less if AR and ASU play.
Really?  How much less could you care? 

Why do you care at all?  I don't. 

Mizzou and Auburn are good enough SEC teams to play.  stAte would earn as much or more national recognition beating them as the Razorbacks.     

WinstonWolf

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2013, 11:39:06 pm
Tickets are chicken feed compared to TV money.  ASU has nothing to sell.  Their share will come from Arkansas' pockets 'cause no one outside of this state would spend three-plus hours watching this game.  If ASU would just take a paycheck and a couple thousand tickets (which you know damn well some would be re-sold to Hog fans) like any other cupcake, at least they'd have a better chance at making an arguement.  If Jeff Long offered them $500K for a one-time deal in RRS I'd be shocked if ASU took it....and then you'd see the real reason for the injuns wanting to play the Hogs.

Lookie here man.   There would be TV interest in the stAte vs. Arkansas game way way way over and above when you guys play other Sun Belt teams.   Those TV rights could be sold.    If the game @ War Memorial were made a stAte home game like the ULM games, then stAte might hold the TV rights and there might be a shitload more $$$ generated than the average Hogs vs. Sun Belt game.  stAte has that to sell.   Demand and dollars as compared to your typical non conference schedule. 

RNHog

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:40:45 pm
Really?  How much less could you care? 

Why do you care at all?  I don't. 

Mizzou and Auburn are good enough SEC teams to play.  stAte would earn as much or more national recognition beating them as the Razorbacks.     

Exactly. Didn't I just say I could care less. Are you freaking stupid or something.

Seeing you have a wolf in your name, I am assuming you are an ASU fan. If so your little man complex is really showing.

National recognition from beating AU? Really? We have beaten AU before and we WILL beat Mizzou. Nothing new to us. So what is your point other than you have a hypothesis for an unproven theory that you hope to achieve by winning against a relevant team?

LZH

Quote from: WinstonWolf on March 12, 2013, 11:44:25 pm
Lookie here man.   There would be TV interest in the stAte vs. Arkansas game way way way over and above when you guys play other Sun Belt teams.   Those TV rights could be sold.    If the game @ War Memorial were made a stAte home game like the ULM games, then stAte might hold the TV rights and there might be a shitload more $$$ generated than the average Hogs vs. Sun Belt game.  stAte has that to sell.   Demand and dollars as compared to your typical non conference schedule. 

No one outside of Arkansas would care.  Even ULM has a bigger TV audience than ASU.

RNHog

No one outside of fans who actually have ASU ties could give a dang about this game. The Arkansas ULM game was on a third tier ESPN channel last year and wasn't even a featured game. Heck, it was lucky to even get the exposure and the only reason it did was because the hogs are an SEC team.

You are proving to me that it is all about ASU sucking from the tit of the University of Arkansas Razorbacks. You can't get the TV revenue like we can so you sale yourself as the "home" team at a neutral in state site. Not happening. ASU can find their own way to generate revenue that doesn't include hanging on the ball sack of Arkansas.

The Boar War

Yeah  I'm sure the money generated from the ASU TV rights would completely overshadow our deal with ESPN.  Who would cover that?  KAIT Region 8?

WinstonWolf

Quote from: RNHog on March 12, 2013, 11:45:50 pm
Exactly. Didn't I just say I could care less. Are you freaking stupid or something.

Seeing you have a wolf in your name, I am assuming you are an ASU fan. If so your little man complex is really showing.

National recognition from beating AU? Really? We have beaten AU before and we WILL beat Mizzou. Nothing new to us. So what is your point other than you have a hypothesis for an unproven theory that you hope to achieve by winning against a relevant team?

You did just say you could care less.   I was simply asking how much less you could care.   

One of us is definitely stupid.   

My point was this:  Arkansas State University has no more or less to gain nationally by playing Mizzou and Auburn than they'd have to gain by playing Arkansas.   

RNHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2013, 11:48:34 pm
No one outside of Arkansas would care.  Even ULM has a bigger TV audience than ASU.

More people know about Monroe LA now from DUCK DYNASTY! That in itself carries a bigger TV audience than an ASU football game EVER will.