Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ota talks about his visit

Started by The Recruiting Guy, March 05, 2013, 03:28:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishShenanigans69

Great stuff, Richard!  Of the 3, he is actually my favorite, lol.  I realize he's not rated as highly as the Big 2, but I still like this kid.

LRrazorback

Of those who've seen him in person and on tape, is Ota flexible enough to be moved to end, possibly drop weight to be moved?  Thanks

ricepig

Quote from: LRrazorback on March 05, 2013, 05:40:30 pm
Of those who've seen him in person and on tape, is Ota flexible enough to be moved to end, possibly drop weight to be moved?  Thanks

He plays some DE in Jonesboro's scheme, I'm not sure if he would ever be your third down speed rush end,  I don't think he'd have the speed for that. He made a lot of plays in the backfield last year, but that's not against SEC lines. I really haven't watched too much of Bielema's style/philosophy on defense, I know we'll play a 4-3, but does he like speed guys or big guys for DE?

whosiskid

Quote from: LRrazorback on March 05, 2013, 05:40:30 pm

He is a tackle. So is Frazier and Jackson. I believe Jackson is the most flexible of the three, but even he is definitely a tackle. All three are forces in the middle, but none of them are very fast. None is a candidate to play any position except tackle on the Div One level.

I don't know about Craig Evans, the Mississippi-raised kid living in Wisconsin who is interested in Arkansas (and ranked up there with Frazier and Jackson). I seem to remember that he ran a 4.9 forty, which is better than Frazier (in a recent article Frazier said he wanted to lower his forty from 5.4, which just doesn't sound possible to me; I read that Ota runs around a 5.18 forty, better than Frazier, but not good enough to allow him to play end). There is also that kid from Louisiana. I forget his name, but he is a 4 star prospect even though a bit undersized (around 255 or so?). His problem is that he isn't very tall.

This is part of the problem: we have a lot of TACKLES interested in us. I really prefer as a rule recruiting DEs. They are more versatile athletes as a rule. You can move them to linebacker or inside to tackle or keep them at end or even move them to tight end. Lord knows there is nothing like a great defensive tackle to anchor your line, but do you need 5 of them?
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2013, 05:48:21 pm
He plays some DE in Jonesboro's scheme, I'm not sure if he would ever be your third down speed rush end,  I don't think he'd have the speed for that. He made a lot of plays in the backfield last year, but that's not against SEC lines. I really haven't watched too much of Bielema's style/philosophy on defense, I know we'll play a 4-3, but does he like speed guys or big guys for DE?

They play some 3-4 which puts him at the end. He is a tackle for a 4-3 team.

JackJohnson

Quote from: whosiskid on March 05, 2013, 07:54:09 pm
He is a tackle. So is Frazier and Jackson. I believe Jackson is the most flexible of the three, but even he is definitely a tackle. All three are forces in the middle, but none of them are very fast. None is a candidate to play any position except tackle on the Div One level.

I don't know about Craig Evans, the Mississippi-raised kid living in Wisconsin who is interested in Arkansas (and ranked up there with Frazier and Jackson). I seem to remember that he ran a 4.9 forty, which is better than Frazier (in a recent article Frazier said he wanted to lower his forty from 5.4, which just doesn't sound possible to me; I read that Ota runs around a 5.18 forty, better than Frazier, but not good enough to allow him to play end). There is also that kid from Louisiana. I forget his name, but he is a 4 star prospect even though a bit undersized (around 255 or so?). His problem is that he isn't very tall.

This is part of the problem: we have a lot of TACKLES interested in us. I really prefer as a rule recruiting DEs. They are more versatile athletes as a rule. You can move them to linebacker or inside to tackle or keep them at end or even move them to tight end. Lord knows there is nothing like a great defensive tackle to anchor your line, but do you need 5 of them?

After this season we will have just 4 DTs on campus- not counting if any of the DEs signed in the 2012 class grow into a DT.  Hodge, Arkadie, Philon and Marks- thats it.  There is a reason why we are recruiting a bunch of DTs- we NEED 3 at minimum and will likely sign 4 if its the right ones.

We don't have time to sign a bunch of DEs and let them grow into DT- we have to have them ready to play as soon as they get on campus and Frazier and Jackson fit that bill

CDBHawg

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 05, 2013, 08:36:15 pm
They play some 3-4 which puts him at the end. He is a tackle for a 4-3 team.

It kind of depends on your definition. I've watched every game since Coach Thomas has been the DC there. He played DE in a 4-3, they stood up the other DE. I agree that he is a DT in college, and he will be a good one

lumphog

Quote from: IrishShenanigans69 on March 05, 2013, 04:42:46 pm
Great stuff, Richard!  Of the 3, he is actually my favorite, lol.  I realize he's not rated as highly as the Big 2, but I still like this kid.
I agree with you. There'e somthing about this guy. I hope we get him.

Hawgzinbowlz

Good frame to develop an effective DT (300-320). Too slow for an SEC DE.
One of the best defensive player names around.
Chuks Ota. Sounds like a Razorback DL.

" GO HOGS "

Razorfox

Quote from: whosiskid on March 05, 2013, 07:54:09 pm

We haven't recruited DT very well for the last three years.  I think four in this class would not be bad at all, especially with the quality we're looking at:

Jackson
Evans
Ota
Frazier

That's an awesome DT class right there. 

LZH

This kid has a better grasp of the English language than most people with college degrees do.  +1 to him.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Razorfox on March 06, 2013, 01:39:35 am
We haven't recruited DT very well for the last three years.  I think four in this class would not be bad at all, especially with the quality we're looking at:

Jackson
Evans
Ota
Frazier

Good list. Natural DTs that we could shape (strength/quickness/weight) into SEC interior linemen. With the current size of the SEC offensive linemen, we need 300-330 lb. DTs that have 5.0-5.1 speed. This list has the size we need and they just need an attitude with athleticism. At 330 lbs. Louis Nix III was the reason ND had the goal line stands, during the regular season.

Alabamas offensive line http://imgur.com/r/CFB/KI3c7

Average SEC defensive linemen (sorry about the okie board reference)
http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Board/86/SEC-Defensive-Tackles-Are-they-bigger-stronger-better-11920164/1

" GO HOGS "

Tim Harris

Jackson
Evans
Ota
Frazier

The problem is we have way more than that interested in us and only 3 or 4 spots to use on DT.  We already have a commitment from Bijhon Jackson and of course Josh Frazier has a spot.  The below guys all have offers and have shown interest in coming for a visit.  There are others with offers but I'm unsure of their interest level.  I think Ota will get his offer sooner or later but may have to wait for a few of these guys to eliminate us as an option.

Peyton Newell
Khairi Clark
Craig Evans
Garrald McDowell

Razorfox

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 06, 2013, 06:47:34 am
The problem is we have way more than that interested in us and only 3 or 4 spots to use on DT.  We already have a commitment from Bijhon Jackson and of course Josh Frazier has a spot.  The below guys all have offers and have shown interest in coming for a visit.  There are others with offers but I'm unsure of their interest level.  I think Ota will get his offer sooner or later but may have to wait for a few of these guys to eliminate us as an option.

Peyton Newell
Khairi Clark
Craig Evans
Garrald McDowell

Well, IMO if you can get just as good of players from in-state, you take them.  That way you get the talent and keep in-state bridges intact. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Razorfox on March 06, 2013, 06:52:18 am
Well, IMO if you can get just as good of players from in-state, you take them.  That way you get the talent and keep in-state bridges intact. 

Which brings up the question is he as good?  I can't really provide an answer since I haven't watched any of these guys in person and everyone looks good on a highlight tape.  That being said out of the 4 out of state guys McDowell is the lowest ranked by 247 and he is a 4* and ranked the #13 DT in the country.

GoHogzzGo

Glad I'm not this staff, tough decisions with this year's DT class. I probably would have already offered the kid. I have full trust in our staff but I'd sure hate to see Ota on another SEC team. I'll be interested to see what his offer list ends up looking like.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: IrishShenanigans69 on March 05, 2013, 04:42:46 pm

I just hope he graduates before he gets elected governor. Dang what a well rounded young man. He reminds me so much of Jake Bequette. I hope he is as successful, but something tells me that all this kid does is succeed.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 06, 2013, 06:47:34 am

Peyton Newell
Khairi Clark
Craig Evans
Garrald McDowell

I wouldn't be upset if they took all of them if they wanted to commit.

ARoutdoorsman

Anyway Ota can come in at mid term and count back?

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 06, 2013, 07:24:40 am
Glad I'm not this staff, tough decisions with this year's DT class. I probably would have already offered the kid. I have full trust in our staff but I'd sure hate to see Ota on another SEC team. I'll be interested to see what his offer list ends up looking like.

I figure Auburn will be his first SEC offer, just seems the way the work, also Horton was his recruiter at Ar.

Bkhardicars

Seems like a throw back to an old fashioned NG plug in the middle to me. I think he'd be a good one.

ldfergu

This kid appears to be a class act and i'd hate to see him elsewhere. I think he'll get an offer soon

three hog night

I sure hope we can offer him soon or Auburn, Miss St, and Ark State will get on him.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: three hog night on March 07, 2013, 06:48:32 am
I sure hope we can offer him soon or Auburn, Miss St, and Ark State will get on him.

Really Ark St?

ricepig

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2013, 09:21:54 am
I figure Auburn will be his first SEC offer, just seems the way the work, also Horton was his recruiter at Ar.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid. Well I trust CBB so I'll sit back and continue to enjoy this awesome recruiting streak.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

three hog night

I think we are going to lose Ota and he really wanted to go here.   He has added other offers and some that offer a life after FB from academic heavy weights Harvard and Duke.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 08, 2013, 08:44:41 am
Yeah that's what I'm afraid. Well I trust CBB so I'll sit back and continue to enjoy this awesome recruiting streak.

what awesome recruiting streak?

Oklahawg

Quote from: three hog night on May 05, 2013, 09:16:09 am
I think we are going to lose Ota and he really wanted to go here.   He has added other offers and some that offer a life after FB from academic heavy weights Harvard and Duke.

If he is as good as we say he is AND he has the academics reported then he can go to Stanford, Vanderbilt or Northwestern and have a better academic situation to go with a solid football program. Give it time, its barely May.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tim Harris

Quote from: three hog night on May 05, 2013, 09:16:09 am

I don't know if it counts as losing him if we never offer. Who knows if it will come later but our staff has been up front with every other recruit so I'm sure he knows where he stands. He will have options even if it isn't playing for the Hogs.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 05, 2013, 02:32:40 pm
If he is as good as we say he is AND he has the academics reported then he can go to Stanford, Vanderbilt or Northwestern and have a better academic situation to go with a solid football program. Give it time, its barely May.

He's going to come to camp and see what plays out after that.

MRPRFCT

Anyone see these kids play in person?

ricepig

Quote from: MRPRFCT on May 05, 2013, 04:55:06 pm
Anyone see these kids play in person?

I've watched Ota since he moved up as 9th grader in the playoffs.

ArkansasI

We ought to offer him and turn him into an OT.  If he isn't quick enough to play DT for the Hogs, he might make a helluva o-lineman. We'd be doing both parties a favor to have him on our team.

Tim Harris

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 05, 2013, 06:02:00 pm
We ought to offer him and turn him into an OT.  If he isn't quick enough to play DT for the Hogs, he might make a helluva o-lineman. We'd be doing both parties a favor to have him on our team.

You don't win SEC championships by doing people favors. If he is worth giving a scholarship to them our coaches will offer.

MRPRFCT

Quote from: ricepig on May 05, 2013, 05:03:12 pm
I've watched Ota since he moved up as 9th grader in the playoffs.

Just making sure people aren't giving opinions, as if they're experts, and not ever seeing them play in person.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

I've watched Ota play a couple games n you notice him right away.  I think he may be better than the other too n he will be the smartest on the field for us

ricepig

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 05, 2013, 06:02:00 pm

He's going to play OT this season too, from what I've heard. I'll believe it when I see it, as Coleman hasn't ever had anyone both ways except for a special package or something. He could have started at OT as a 9th grader if he had moved up in my opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: MRPRFCT on May 05, 2013, 06:33:00 pm
Just making sure people aren't giving opinions, as if they're experts, and not ever seeing them play in person.

I'm not 100% sure he is a SEC DT, but the film of some of the other offers I question, too.

Tim Harris

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on May 05, 2013, 07:22:53 pm
I've watched Ota play a couple games n you notice him right away.  I think he may be better than the other too n he will be the smartest on the field for us

Better than Frazier and Jackson?  If that is what you mean every coach, recruiting service, etc.. disagrees with you.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 05, 2013, 06:07:14 pm
You don't win SEC championships by doing people favors. If he is worth giving a scholarship to them our coaches will offer.
Tim,

You're kind of hyper critical.  I wasn't suggesting that we give scholarships to players that are not deserving.  I have never seen any of these DTs play.  Based upon other opinions given, Ota may not be an SEC quality DT.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the guy is unworthy of a scholarship.

I have always believed that the best line athletes usually end up on defense.  If that is true and Ota plays d-line in his high school, it is possible that he's an SEC quality athlete, but not on the d-line.

I haven't seen any discussion about Ota playing o-line and thought I'd bring it up for discussion.  We are already hoping that this sort of transition will work with other players on scholarship.

Given the hit/miss rate that I have seen on our recruits in general, I root for certain guys to get offers.  Ota is one of those guys.  By all accounts he is a great football player and a fine student.

ricepig

Chuks got an offer from Yale, Partridge is coming by Tuesday, and Duke later on this week, his future will be good.

Tim Harris

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 06, 2013, 08:38:51 am
Tim,

You're kind of hyper critical.  I wasn't suggesting that we give scholarships to players that are not deserving.  I have never seen any of these DTs play.  Based upon other opinions given, Ota may not be an SEC quality DT.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the guy is unworthy of a scholarship.

I have always believed that the best line athletes usually end up on defense.  If that is true and Ota plays d-line in his high school, it is possible that he's an SEC quality athlete, but not on the d-line.

I haven't seen any discussion about Ota playing o-line and thought I'd bring it up for discussion.  We are already hoping that this sort of transition will work with other players on scholarship.

Given the hit/miss rate that I have seen on our recruits in general, I root for certain guys to get offers.  Ota is one of those guys.  By all accounts he is a great football player and a fine student.

Trust me I'm all for in state guys getting an offer but they are going to have to earn it just like everyone else.  Your comment of doing both parties a favor is what gets to me.  Not sure what favor it would do to Arkansas if we offered him and he wasn't going to help out.  Also he is only 6'1/6'2 by most recruiting services which isn't going to be tall enough to play tackle.  He will be a DT in college.  I've said many times that I think he ends up getting an offer from Arkansas but it will be late in the process.  There are several guys on our "recruiting board" who are above him.  As those guys start eliminating us then we will send out a second wave of offers.  That is when I think he gets his.  As someone else posted he will be at camp this summer which will give the coaches a chance to see him live.  I'm pulling for the kid too but only if he is worthy.

Hawg Balling

Jackson
Evans
Ota
Frazier

Four interior defensive linemen in this class would be fantastic, especially if two of them are Jackson and Frazier.  We're not going to have our defense at a consistent SEC-level until we can get solid depth, which allows us scheme flexibility and affords us the ability to not be as vulnerable to gaps because of injury.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 06, 2013, 09:20:06 am
Trust me I'm all for in state guys getting an offer but they are going to have to earn it just like everyone else.  Your comment of doing both parties a favor is what gets to me.  Not sure what favor it would do to Arkansas if we offered him and he wasn't going to help out.  Also he is only 6'1/6'2 by most recruiting services which isn't going to be tall enough to play tackle.  He will be a DT in college.  I've said many times that I think he ends up getting an offer from Arkansas but it will be late in the process.  There are several guys on our "recruiting board" who are above him.  As those guys start eliminating us then we will send out a second wave of offers.  That is when I think he gets his.  As someone else posted he will be at camp this summer which will give the coaches a chance to see him live.  I'm pulling for the kid too but only if he is worthy.
Thanks for the reply.  For the record, I agree that he sounds a little short to play OT.  Perhaps he'd might make a fine guard.

Like you, I want the player only if it is a favor to both parties.  I have found that there are very few sure things in football recruits.  If the coaches are on the fence with this young man, perhaps his strength in the classroom will help make this an easier decision for them.

Mike_e

If the kid is as bright as reported then let him play center, 6'1"/2" is OK there.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

JackJohnson

Agreed.  IF we were going to take players just to take them to build relationships then we would be better served to do it in Florida for a few reasons.  We will get 90% of the Ark kids simply bc they want to come here, however the amount of prospects per year is so small by taking more we are only talking about getting an extra 1 or 2 players that we normally *may* not get

In Florida we (Ark) doesn't have a strong precense, even though our staff does.  Since we are so far away from home the more kids we have and the more schools we get into opens up literally hundreds more potential prospects than it would by doing this in Ark where we obviously don't really need the help.  When Strong got to UL when he needed a filler he went to Fl and by doing that it allowed him to fill most his roster with big fast talented kids like Bridewater.  So far this year they have 12 commits- 7 from Fl. 

Now when kids from Fl are looking at UL they have lots of familiar faces and friends already on the roster which makes the long trip away from home not seem like they are so far away when they have lots of others from "home"