Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kent State vs. Arkansas State game thread

Started by Huckleberry Pig, January 06, 2013, 08:02:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyBoarBucks

Quote from: 188fw_FyngRzrbk on January 06, 2013, 10:26:59 pm
You've got that right, and I've watched a TON of cfb over the past couple of weeks.  This one is a real yawner, but it's football.  Aw heck, who am I kidding, I'm thinking about just going to bed rather than force the agony of the remainder of this game upon myself.

Two college teams with coaching turnover. Gus would've probably scored 40 on this team by now.

elksnort

Quote from: DaddyBoarBucks on January 06, 2013, 10:28:52 pm
Two college teams with coaching turnover. Gus would've probably scored 40 on this team by now.
Id like to think so, but Kent has had a pretty good season.

idahodian

So, Kelly is going to stay at Oregon, according to espn. Not surprising, he did the same thing last year and then wouldn't close the deal with I think Tampa Bay.

idochog

Quote from: idahodian on January 06, 2013, 10:33:20 pm
So, Kelly is going to stay at Oregon, according to espn. Not surprising, he did the same thing last year and then wouldn't close the deal with I think Tampa Bay.

He will leave as soon as the NCAA gets closer
I love Jesus!

hogman64

if Kent state has a kick returner so good that ASU will just give them the ball on the 40 rather than let him touch it, why dont they just line him up at QB and let him go.. they couldnt be any worse on offense........

Albert Einswine

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2013, 10:25:54 pm
Interesting, Kent State beat Rutgers did they not.

Most of you people aren't half the Razorback I am, but I have enough sense to pull for an in state team. 

Cool story...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

clutch

Quote from: hogman64 on January 06, 2013, 10:50:04 pm
if Kent state has a kick returner so good that ASU will just give them the ball on the 40 rather than let him touch it, why dont they just line him up at QB and let him go.. they couldnt be any worse on offense........

They use him a lot. I think he has more all purpose yards than anybody in CFB this season.

travelguy

You all may hate ASU but godaddy.com bowl is a darn sight better than NO bOWL!!! 

jfred59

Looks like the SEC refs shown up with that leading with the head call

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: travelguy on January 06, 2013, 10:57:37 pm
You all may hate ASU but godaddy.com bowl is a darn sight better than NO bOWL!!! 

[attachment deleted by admin]

GalaHawg

Happy for John Thompson - good coach and a deserving guy

iluvmyslute89

GolfNut57

BIG win for the ASU Red Wolves!!!!!!! Hoooowwwwwwwllllllllllll!!!!!!!!  ;D

Thanks to those of you here that showed support for the Wolves tonight. It was appreciated in this corner.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Root66

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2013, 10:25:54 pm
Interesting, Kent State beat Rutgers did they not.

Most of you people aren't half the Razorback I am, but I have enough sense to pull for an in state team.

From the guy who is actually stupid enough to root for other SEC teams (Me), and even for Texas back in day...even I was rooting for Arkansas State. Must have been seeing John Thompson on the sideline coaching them up. I still like John.

On the other hand, I cannot take those GD A state fans.

deedster84

I'm an A stAte fan myself. Even went to school there for a semester in 85. But they will ALWAYS be little brother to the Razorbacks. I saw as many Arkansas Razorback shirts there as Indian shirts.

The thing is, most Hog fans pull for stAte. But diehard Red Wolves fans despise big brother. Thats the reason for no game between the 2. It would divide the fanbase even more.

Root66

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 06, 2013, 11:17:05 pm
BIG win for the ASU Red Wolves!!!!!!! Hoooowwwwwwwllllllllllll!!!!!!!!  ;D

Thanks to those of you here that showed support for the Wolves tonight. It was appreciated in this corner.

Congrats are in order for ASU. Now if you'll just drop that constant visitation over here preaching ASU B.S. And by the way, they are still the Indians to me.

Root66

Quote from: GalaHawg on January 06, 2013, 11:12:14 pm
Happy for John Thompson - good coach and a deserving guy

I think the future Purdue coach, Hazell,  offered John a job after the game. ;)

DrSwineESQ

iluvmyslute89

AFWarrior83

Hogville member since 2005.

HawgAlude

Congrats to ASU, I look forward to John Thompson, JB Grimes, Tim Horton and Gus Malzhan coming to Fayetteville next season and kicking JL and BB in their carpet bagging arses.

sincerely Hawgalude.

clutch

Quote from: HawgAlude on January 06, 2013, 11:52:19 pm
Congrats to ASU, I look forward to John Thompson, JB Grimes, Tim Horton and Gus Malzhan coming to Fayetteville next season and kicking JL and BB in their carpet bagging arses.

sincerely Hawgalude.

Well since Thompson is staying at ASU, at least part of your wish isn't going to come true.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: HawgAlude on January 06, 2013, 11:52:19 pm

sincerely Hawgalude.

This post shows just how stupid you are. It fits with most of your posts.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Root66 on January 06, 2013, 11:25:43 pm
Congrats are in order for ASU. Now if you'll just drop that constant visitation over here preaching ASU B.S. And by the way, they are still the Indians to me.

The only time I start in with the "alleged" ASU B.S. preaching you are referring to is when I am provoked by totally unnecessary attacks against them. Otherwise I am cool with not talking about them here too much.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

31to6

Quote from: deedster84 on January 06, 2013, 11:23:44 pm
The thing is, most Hog fans pull for stAte. But diehard Red Wolves fans despise big brother. Thats the reason for no game between the 2. It would divide the fanbase even more.
Yes, but which fanbase?

Arkansas State doesn't really want to force everyone who pulls for them to choose. They may not like how the chips would fall.

Westcoasthog

Arkansas State won the Go Daddy Bowl.com over Kent State  17-13.  Arkansas and Arkansas State should play each other every year.  What is the
difference when Arkansas plays Lousiana Monroe and Louisiana Monroe - keep the money in the State of Arkansas.  Every other University plays their State University - Why does Arkansas have to be different?

Philip Seaton

Congrats Arkansas State on a big win especially happy for interim coach John Thompson. Nice guy and well-deserved for him. Do hate it for Kent State quarterback Spencer Keith. Nice kid and Pulaski Academy graduate.

Now, on this thread this is a game thread. You want to talk trash, take it some where else. Debate other merits some place else.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Westcoasthog on January 07, 2013, 01:13:52 am
  Arkansas State won the Go Daddy Bowl.com over Kent State  17-13.  Arkansas and Arkansas State should play each other every year.  What is the
difference when Arkansas plays Lousiana Monroe and Louisiana Monroe - keep the money in the State of Arkansas.  Every other University plays their State University - Why does Arkansas have to be different?

That is not what this thread is about, this was a game thread about tonight's bowl. That discussion needs a new thread.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: deedster84 on January 06, 2013, 11:23:44 pm
I'm an A stAte fan myself. Even went to school there for a semester in 85. But they will ALWAYS be little brother to the Razorbacks. I saw as many Arkansas Razorback shirts there as Indian shirts.

Precisely.  What it would do is cause the fans who like both teams, but prefer the Hogs, to ditch ASU.  They don't want that to happen.

I was glad to see ASU win, but I knew there would be at least one or two threads where this debate got rekindled.  It's a shame really.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

The Divine Swine

I really do not understand the disdain towards one another between the fanbases. We should support one another. Astate fans just want to feel important and finishing the season with a bowl victory over a top 25 team goes a long way for them i am sure. Why don't we play them? We win that game 90% of the time. So what if we lose once in a blue moon? We will never lose major recruits to them so why worry about them building themselves up. An SEC team is always going to be a recruits preference over a sunbelt team. I am very happy for Astate tonight. It helps the state look good. Yes, astate's fans can be obnoxious and seem to want to elevate themselves while denigrating the Hogs, but not all state fans are like that. Hog fans should just congratulate them and go on being fans of a top 10 valued program in the Razorbacks. Woo pig sooiiee and congrats red wolf indians.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

prairiehogcompanion

Terrific football game. Two quality teams. ASU's defense very impressive.

Devil_Dog

So with this win do you think they will be ranked in the top 25 now?? Didn't there only two lost come to oregon and Nebraska

PHAHog357

Quote from: Devil_Dog on January 07, 2013, 02:58:50 am
So with this win do you think they will be ranked in the top 25 now?? Didn't there only two lost come to oregon and Nebraska

They lost to the mighty Hilltoppers.
Ninohog never forgotten

Tripod1

Congrats to ASU.  Hog fan here but will pull for the Red Wolves before other SEC teams in a bowl game. 

clutch

There's a pretty good chance that this win will put them into the top 25 for the first time ever. That will be huge for their program.

I was glad to see Aplin get that bowl win his last game. He deserved it. He has been great for ASU.

Seminole Indian

May not make the top 25 this year but it was a rebuilding year so maybe next year. Good job by Coach Thompson and ASU fans got a nice Xmass present when he was retained as the DC.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hoglady

Nice win for ASU.
Hope they finish in the Top 25.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgXi

intrastate games like this just produce one outcome:  hate

okie state fans hate OU
mittittippi tate fans hate ol miss
auburn fans hate bama
florida state & miami fans hate florida
A$M fans hate texas
michigan state fans hate michigan
ucla fans hate socal
clempson fans hate s carolina.

do we really want this divisiveness in arkansas?

I'm a graduate of the university, and I enjoyed rooting for a state and watching them win.

many of my friends are a state fans and they root for the hogs

I can root for UCA, tech, harding, henderson, uapb, and they can all root for the hogs.

this actually works pretty good for the state of arkansas.

the great thing is when a state plays a money game like oregon state, they are actually bringing new money into the state of arkansas which is much better than just shifting money from one side of the state to the other.

Choctaw Hog

Since you are asking this.....again, apparently no amount of explanation will suffice.  Just know it isn't going to happen for a myriad of good reasons.  However, I would like to see the Hogs schedule UCA to play in LR every year just to spite the Indian/Red Wolves. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hawgXi on January 07, 2013, 07:06:57 am
intrastate games like this just produce one outcome:  hate

okie state fans hate OU
mittittippi tate fans hate ol miss
auburn fans hate bama
florida state & miami fans hate florida
A$M fans hate texas
michigan state fans hate michigan
ucla fans hate socal
clempson fans hate s carolina.

do we really want this divisiveness in arkansas?

I'm a graduate of the university, and I enjoyed rooting for a state and watching them win.

many of my friends are a state fans and they root for the hogs

I can root for UCA, tech, harding, henderson, uapb, and they can all root for the hogs.

this actually works pretty good for the state of arkansas.

the great thing is when a state plays a money game like oregon state, they are actually bringing new money into the state of arkansas which is much better than just shifting money from one side of the state to the other.

I already hate Arkansas State football because of their whiny little fans. 

HAWGTILLTHEDIRT

congrats stAte  hawg fan till the dirt    but also love everything arkansas
HAWG TILL THE DIRT!!!!

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 07, 2013, 07:26:02 am
I already hate Arkansas State football because of their whiny little fans.

Dude come on... you have way too many posts on this board not to notice the extreme levels of whine & butthurt that run rampant around here.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 07, 2013, 07:22:48 am
Since you are asking this.....again, apparently no amount of explanation will suffice.  Just know it isn't going to happen for a myriad of good reasons.  However, I would like to see the Hogs schedule UCA to play in LR every year just to spite the Indian/Red Wolves.
That would be a good thing, and I don't think ASU fans would be upset at all. ASU, like UCA has their program clicking, and hopefully the Razorbacks will get theirs back on track in short order.

Back to the game last night  an CFN writter wrote the following:

'The ability of Arkansas State to not only win this game, but win it with flint and steel on defense, sends a loud message about the strength of the Sun Belt, with Bryan Harsin getting ready to lead the Red Wolves to a league championship three-peat in 2013. Forget Western Kentucky with Bobby Petrino; Arkansas State is the Sun Belt program that has built its brand the most over the past two years.'

Again congrats to John Thompson, because  he had his players ready to play. ASU is very lucky to have him as their DC going forward.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Jackrabbit Hog

Good time to point out that TWO guys who were at UCA during my era there won bowl games this year - Charlie Strong and John Thompson ("J.T.").  Both defensive backs for the Bears as I recall.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Torqued pork

The Hogs offering to play ASU makes about as much sense as Wal-Mart sending some of its profits to Kmart or Target.

The only way UA vs. ASU should ever happen is if the state legislature mandates it and I hope that never happens.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on January 07, 2013, 10:00:22 am
The Hogs offering to play ASU makes about as much sense as Wal-Mart sending some of its profits to Kmart or Target.

The only way UA vs. ASU should ever happen is if the state legislature mandates it and I hope that never happens.

I could see ASU and the UofA in a Liberty or Independence type bowl game if ASU continues to grow its program, because the Razorbacks have never shied away from playing ASU in post season play.

OsageJ

Nice win tonight for the Redwolves.  Too all the hog fans who rooted for us thanks.  The rest of you can kiss my ass.