Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Right Coach at UA Crucial as ASU Rises

Started by Robert Shields, December 03, 2012, 10:02:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hobhog on December 03, 2012, 02:29:46 pm
Until ASU can consistently get more than 25,000 to show up to the games and have facilities better than Texas high school programs, I will continue to not care. 99% of college football fans can't even name the mascot....
I have no problem with that, so what ever floats your boat.

Lots of bad football teams have all those things, and lots of good ones don't.Being rich does not always make you better than someone who is not.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Two Socks on December 03, 2012, 02:28:59 pm
  Thats why I think ASU would be best suited to position themselves to bypass CUSA if they can.     Big 12 membership is probably quite a ways off for ASU based on $$$, but I think MWC or MAC are better options than CUSA.    At least teams in those conferences are established teams while CUSA just seems content to cherry pick metro area teams with no rhyme or reason.    F_U will never be a player in the Miami market.   That shows bad logic by CUSA.   Heck even the Hurricane struggle to get attention in the Dade county and surrounding regions.

I agree that it's reason for some pause, but if ASU is offered the chance at C-USA, they need to jump on it.  Neither the MAC nor the MWC are geographically sensible for ASU, and A-State's been down that road before.  C-USA isn't what it used to be, but it makes geographic sense, it positions you to make another upward transition if you're successful, and the bowl tie-ins are better than the Sunbelt's.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hobhog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 02:36:20 pm
I have no problem with that, so what ever floats your boat.

Lots of bad football teams have all those things, and lots of good ones don't.Being rich does not always make you better than someone who is not.

Agreed, but being rich certainly helps! ASU can be sucessful, and if Gus stays Wolves will have success. BCS success? Doubtful, but see N. Illinios this year. Nothing suprises me anymore.......

b0sc0b

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on December 03, 2012, 11:56:47 am
This latest installment of 'From the Bench' contains some of the most illogical and bogus stances on situations that we have ever seen. 

However, it shall remain as proof that the coaching search has driven us all, virtually mad.
I will agree with you on one thing, the whole mess since April has just been madness.
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

Two Socks

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 03, 2012, 02:46:22 pm
I agree that it's reason for some pause, but if ASU is offered the chance at C-USA, they need to jump on it.  Neither the MAC nor the MWC are geographically sensible for ASU, and A-State's been down that road before.  C-USA isn't what it used to be, but it makes geographic sense, it positions you to make another upward transition if you're successful, and the bowl tie-ins are better than the Sunbelt's.

Good point but CUSA is slowly becoming the Sun Belt and if the Sun Belt does somehow cease to be it will replace the Sun Belt as the lowest rung of college football.     If that occurs can they maintain their current television contracts and bowl committments?

Got_da_captain

Quote from: nutted on December 03, 2012, 02:10:29 pm
So ASU has some bored rich whale that's going to T Boone them into the big time.  U know a 7-5 program is a 7-5 program no matter how much money u throw at it......I don't even see ASU selling out it's own stadium anytime soon .....or even being ranked.......has ASU ever been ranked by the AP?
lipstick on a wolf is still a stupid wolf.

19-6 is laSt 2 years only team in sbc to put  30k+ in their stadium twice ths season!

So let's do math 30k/33k doesn't take a genius to see they are close to selling their stadium out..with success comes fans!

bondhue

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on December 03, 2012, 12:06:03 pm
I agree that ASU is certainly putting things together and ascending at the moment. However, to imply that anytime in the foreseeable future the U of A will be relegated to some "second fiddle" status is ludicrous. Yes, finding the right coach for the Hill is absolutely essential; however, that's more for the ability to offer top notch competition to the other SEC teams AND needed stability (necessary for any solid sports program) than any other reason(s).
UA is currently in second fiddle status.  ASU beat ULM, UA did not.  ASU is ranked, UA is not.  ASU is going bowling.  UA is not.  Now, it may not last long, but currently UA is #2 in Arkansas.  And you know what #2 is.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

roothog229

Robert Shields has really lost his mind this time.

Conference realignments are happening as conferences are trying to grab media markets so they can lure bigger TV deals. It's about money and population.

Why was Rutgers and Maryland drafted for the B1G? Media base and East Coast presence bring power to new TV contracts.

Why did C-USA pick the Sun Belt schools they did? The Florida schools, North Texas (duh!) and MTSU because of it's close proximity to Nashville (not to mention those schools having large enrollment bases as well).

ASU brings NOTHING to the table. They have small attendance, are located in a very low/weak media market and have a small enrollment with a small endowment. Sure, Tulsa and Rice don't have many students, but they're in metro areas and are private schools with cash flows. ASU lacks both.

They can, and will, do all they can to move up in conference play. But ASU to the Big 12 is as reasonable as Wyoming to the NFL. I seriously think this is the saddest attention ploy he's had with these columns, and that's saying something.

GolfNut57

Until ASU can consistently get more than 25,000 to show up to the games and have facilities better than Texas high school programs, I will continue to not care. 99% of college football fans can't even name the mascot....

ASU averaged 26,000 this year in 6 home games. 99%? Nothing like a little exaggeration to further your agenda. Not gonna waste time on your Texas high school facilities crap.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Two Socks on December 03, 2012, 04:18:43 pm
   Good point but CUSA is slowly becoming the Sun Belt and if the Sun Belt does somehow cease to be it will replace the Sun Belt as the lowest rung of college football.     If that occurs can they maintain their current television contracts and bowl committments?

No way will the CUSA ever be lower than the SWAC as the lowest rung of college football.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

AFWarrior83

Why did I waste my time reading this? Seriously lame...we ALL know that Long better make the right hire. Peterson or bust!
Hogville member since 2005.

asuato

ASU averaged over 26000 and change this year.....last two crowds over 30000.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: bondhue on December 03, 2012, 10:50:29 pm
UA is currently in second fiddle status.  ASU beat ULM, UA did not.  ASU is ranked, UA is not.  ASU is going bowling.  UA is not.  Now, it may not last long, but currently UA is #2 in Arkansas.  And you know what #2 is.

Try stelazine.  It helps with delusions.  A program is far more than any one year won/loss record.  In 2011, Baylor had a much better team than either Texas or Texas A&M - does any rational person honestly think Texas and TAMU were second fiddles in the state of Texas that year behind Baylor?  When ASU starts consistenly drawing 60k+, starts out-recruiting the U of A for in-state players, has comparable facilities and budget (and stops passing the bill to students and taxpayers), has an equal number of nationally televised games and a comparable conference affiliation, then you can brag about "being #1 in Arkansas" without sounding like a preening wannabe.   
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: asuato on December 04, 2012, 01:30:22 am
ASU averaged over 26000 and change this year.....last two crowds over 30000.

Wow.  ASU could almost fill up the south endzone and the East upper deck at RRS.  Most impressive.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Fatty McGee

Quote from: bondhue on December 03, 2012, 10:50:29 pm

Conference affiliation will keep ASU #2 as long as its not in a top conference. That's just a fact and I don't even wish them ill.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Andre 3000

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 03, 2012, 10:24:24 am
Fatty the one important point for RS post:

The perception nationally is that the Razorbacks were snubbed and put back into its place as not a top tier football program  by Les miles.

Arkansas isn't really a top tier program. For one, they have a 37% bowl winning percentage. Arkansas never really has been top tier.

Tony Perkis

Didn't even read after looking at the title. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Seebs on December 03, 2012, 10:58:51 am
Robert Shields, this was an amazing read. I saw lights and started weeping .. .God, no, wait. I just had a mini-stroke.

I'm laughing out of one side of my mouth right now.... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.