Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Right Coach at UA Crucial as ASU Rises

Started by Robert Shields, December 03, 2012, 10:02:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Right Coach at UA is Crucial as Arkansas State Rises to Legitimacy

Robert Shields

As the writing of this, the new Razorback football coach is still unknown. This has not stopped the absolute onslaught of guessing. We have heard the top names floated over and over no matter how ridiculous in Gruden, Patterson, Petersen, Stoops, Gundy, and Miles.

But of all those names above, the most bizarre rumor that became ludicrous reality was that Jeff Long, vice chancellor of athletics, had conversations with Miles. Within a day or so of those rumors getting out, Miles was rewarded handsomely Houston Nutt style with a raise to stay at LSU.

The point was been made by the UA Flack Squad that no offer was ever made to Miles. OK, whatever you say. But I agree with Shane, the caller to Drive Time Sports -- it doesn't matter. The perception nationally is that the Razorbacks were snubbed and put back into its place as not a top tier football program. Perception in this game of finding a coach can become reality.

I'm not sure what Long was trying to accomplish, but I guess he does. If for some reason Miles had been hired, he would have started with half the fan base hating him. Most fans still are angry at Miles last year for supposedly running up the score on the Hogs after the tragic death of Garrett Uekman. It had Coach Bobby Petrino yelling profanity across the field at Miles, a filth-laced tirade that will be one of Petrino's lasting legacies.

I have been tough on Long through in this process because I said in the spring the hire should have been made in April, but he needs to take as a long as it takes to get the right hire. Hiring for the sake of hiring would be a mistake, and the Razorbacks, no, the people of Arkansas, cannot afford a mistake on this hire like a Jack Crowe or Stan Heath.

It has to be the right guy and price should not matter. There is nothing more expensive than losing.

With that said, I will hit the panic button on Friday if the Razorbacks do not have a new coach and Tennessee and other schools have picked all the good fruit while our laborer is still in the field.

I get asked from time to time who I would hire. I think the right hire is Chris Petersen of Boise State if he will come. He is the right fit. He beats better teams with Boise State's inferior talent. That is the kind of coach Arkansas needs. The Razorbacks in general will always be deficient in numbers of talented players compared to LSU, Florida, and Alabama.

It takes a special coach to win at Arkansas, and that would not have been Les Miles even though he is a good coach because even when you have great talent it still takes a good coach to assemble it and win. See Auburn's performance this year as an example.

Other rumors have also abounded in the last week. The most bizarre is that of Arkansas State trying to get into the Big 12. Not that I don't think ASU wouldn't jump at the chance. I just can't see that ever happening in the foreseeable future.

No doubt, the Big 12 has to find two more teams to remain viable and have a bogus championship game like everyone else. I also agree Texas probably does not care a whole lot who the additions are provided they can beat them and keep their television contract.

I was told former U.S. Sen. David Pryor and the Big 12 commissioner met, but I think if it ever did happen it was to only look at art at Crystal Bridges. It's awesome and thanks Alice Walton.

But what if, as Arkansas leaves Little Rock and the writing is on the wall, ASU lucks out and lands in the Big 12. Anything is possible, and conference realignment is in a weird state.

What happens one day if the Razorbacks are gone from Little Rock and ASU has it annual matchup scheduled against Texas in War Memorial Stadium where ASU plays all its big games in Little Rock?

Long better hire the right coach.

Robert Shields is a world-class mime who partnered with Lorene Yarnell for a prime-time television show in the late '70s. He later moved to Sedona, Arizona, to become an artist and make jewelry. THIS IS NOT ME.

Buy "Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society" and "Diminishing Paige" at fruitbatbooks.com. Send your coaching choice to fromthebench@yahoo.com and follow me on Twitter @robert1shields.

YepItsMe

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

nebhog70

Most outrageous post I have read "From the Bench" and there have been a lot to choose from.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

Seminole Indian

Well he knows one thing that most Razorbacks don't, that is for sure.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

Shields.......as a "writer", do you proofread the poop that you type?   You started a paragraph with this sentence:  "I'm not sure what Long was trying to accomplish, but I guess he does.". 

That level of intelligence shines through in all of your posts.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Fatty McGee

Most of the RS posts are just long extrapolations of what most of us can say in a couple sentences, thus they're easily skimmed.  They're reasonably thought out opinions but nothing earth shattering.

This one, though, about the rise of ASU, is just silly.  I actually ended up reading it rather than skimming because it's so funny.  The rise of ASU?  You think OU and OSU hit the panic button when Tulsa has a couple good years?  But we need to worry about a top flight ASU season culminating in the GoDaddy Bowl in scenic Mobile? 

I do like the conceit in "I have been tough on Long" and "I get asked from time to time who I would hire."  Both of those made me smile too. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

DeltaBoy

Good points Robert and you will always be better than Wally Hall or Otis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 03, 2012, 10:13:33 am
Most of the RS posts are just long extrapolations of what most of us can say in a couple sentences, thus they're easily skimmed.  They're reasonably thought out opinions but nothing earth shattering.

This one, though, about the rise of ASU, is just silly.  I actually ended up reading it rather than skimming because it's so funny.  The rise of ASU?  You think OU and OSU hit the panic button when Tulsa has a couple good years?  But we need to worry about a top flight ASU season culminating in the GoDaddy Bowl in scenic Mobile? 

I do like the conceit in "I have been tough on Long" and "I get asked from time to time who I would hire."  Both of those made me smile too.

Fatty the one important point for RS post:

The perception nationally is that the Razorbacks were snubbed and put back into its place as not a top tier football program  by Les miles.

DOGALUM

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 03, 2012, 10:22:32 am
Good points Robert and you will always be better than Wally Hall or Otis.
lol.....not THERE is a ringing endorsment!

(one that I disagree with btw)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 03, 2012, 10:24:24 am

The perception nationally is that the Razorbacks were snubbed and put back into its place as not a top tier football program  by Les miles.

Whose perception and why should I care is my answer.

NaturalStateReb

The argument that UA and ASU are locked into some zero-sum cage match is just about as ridiculous as A-State entering the Big 12.

Don't get me wrong, that'd be great for ASU, but that's highly improbable.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Just out of curiosity, Robert, who would you have hired that was available in April?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

urkillnmesmalls

Then by virtue of that logic, Michigan is no longer a relevant program.  They were snubbed by Les Miles just a few short years ago before they hired Hoke, so take that tripe somewhere else.  By most accounts, Miles was never offered anything by Arkansas, but even if he was, reasonable people understand why he would say no.  TALENT availability in LA is enough in and of itself. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Seebs

Robert Shields, this was an amazing read. I saw lights and started weeping .. .God, no, wait. I just had a mini-stroke.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

urkillnmesmalls

Fatty...while I agree that Shields went WAY overboard on this one, I think we're already seeing some rise by ASU.  Listen to the national media.  Anytime ASU is mentioned, they ALWAYS reiterate that they are coached by Gus Malzahn.  They want him to succeed for whatever reason.  His face is all over billboards, and like it or not, he is viewed as an innovative coach. 

For fans in LR that are not UA alum, ASU will become a viable option if they continue winning.  It's a shorter drive, less expensive, and people want to associate with a winner.  I cannot see them ever being on par with the UA in the long run, but with a horrible hire and a few years of failed rebuilding, it's possible to see them get a lot closer.  If Malzahn keeps it going and they could enter a little more competitive conference and do well, it's not as far fetched as some would believe.

I don't think Malzahn will be there for long, and maybe not even past this year, so it probably won't matter.  A lot would have to fall in place, but to say it is impossible is to ignore the fall of MANY empires by smaller, more organized and efficient armies.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

HogScoutMaster

matter of fact, I guess the radio guy was not aware of AState that he said the Hogs were playing Kent in the GoDaddy bowl.  I was like HUH?  We arent in a Bowl game.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 03, 2012, 10:35:24 am
The argument that UA and ASU are locked into some zero-sum cage match is just about as ridiculous as A-State entering the Big 12.

The rumor that ASU was looking at the big 12 has popped up recently, and been dismissed by ASU as ludicrous.

What is not going away is a growing feeling that ASU has, are is about to land a 'whale', that will change everthing, and is the big reason Malzahn will be at ASU for a long time.

Some comments by their Systems President, Chancellor, AD, and Malzahn indicate that what ever is happening is bigger than ASU fans think.

Dr Swineglove

As long as ASU is in the Sunbelt, they'll be nothing more than a minor league program; notably, despite all the expansion talk, not a single major conference has ever mentioned adding ASU.  As usual, whatever happens in the 'Boro is of slight consequence to the U of A.  The real gist of Robert's article is saber-rattling against the forth-coming north endzone expansion at RRS.  Once we add a bunch of club seats, skyboxes, etc and move to 78K+ permanent seats, WMS will be a thing of the past.  This silly specter of "ASU Rises" is just another ruse to divide the fan base, led by the usual anti-UofA zealot, Robert Shields.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Hogfan46

Right coach at UA is crucial because we play in the SEC. End of story.

thefisher

Although Robert is usually toilet gargle to read this piece did at least raise an interesting hypothetical question that we Hog fans might need to mull over.

If (admittedly it is quiet doubtful), but IF, ASU and Gus keep the push on for national attention (remember Gus's vision of the "Boise State of the South") could they eventually parlay that into lobbying for a Big 12 spot?

IF the answer to that is ever yes then we must consider what impact that might have on in state recruiting. How would playing for Gus's HUNH offense in the Big 12 appeal to in state kids as opposed the playing for The Hogs?

Like him, hate him, or somewhere in between, you have to admit that Malzahn is a game changer.

No one knows and it is all hypothetical. However, with the drive and vision Gus is showing at little time ASU it would be wise to consider this just in case they get some big attention, win a bowl game, win and a couple more Sunbelt championships, and the Big12 extends the welcome mat.

Iowa State is in the BIG12 and are they really any better than ASU?
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 11:04:43 am
The rumor that ASU was looking at the big 12 has popped up recently, and been dismissed by ASU as ludicrous.

What is not going away is a growing feeling that ASU has, are is about to land a 'whale', that will change everthing, and is the big reason Malzahn will be at ASU for a long time.

Some comments by their Systems President, Chancellor, AD, and Malzahn indicate that what ever is happening is bigger than ASU fans think.

I hope so, that'd be fantastic for ASU.  I've always thought that C-USA should have been ASU's long term conference goal, but with realignment as crazy as it is, who knows anymore.

josh_sec33

I mean, MTSU got picked by C-USA over ASU, and ASU dropped 45 on them last weekend.

What does that tell you about where you are in the pecking order of things with regard to conference points of view?
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HogScoutMaster

Which is very true...we are NOT a top tier football program

Hoggish1

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 03, 2012, 10:02:09 am

Robert Shields

But of all those names above, the most bizarre rumor that became ludicrous reality was that Jeff Long, vice chancellor of athletics, had conversations with Miles. Within a day or so of those rumors getting out, Miles was rewarded handsomely Houston Nutt style with a raise to stay at LSU.

I'm not sure what Long was trying to accomplish, but I guess he does. If for some reason Miles had been hired, he would have started with half the fan base hating him. Most fans still are angry at Miles last year for supposedly running up the score on the Hogs after the tragic death of Garrett Uekman. It had Coach Bobby Petrino yelling profanity across the field at Miles, a filth-laced tirade that will be one of Petrino's lasting legacies.

With that said, I will hit the panic button on Friday if the Razorbacks do not have a new coach and Tennessee and other schools have picked all the good fruit while our laborer is still in the field.

I get asked from time to time who I would hire. I think the right hire is Chris Petersen of Boise State if he will come. He is the right fit. He beats better teams with Boise State's inferior talent. That is the kind of coach Arkansas needs. The Razorbacks in general will always be deficient in numbers of talented players compared to LSU, Florida, and Alabama.

It takes a special coach to win at Arkansas, and that would not have been Les Miles even though he is a good coach because even when you have great talent it still takes a good coach to assemble it and win. See Auburn's performance this year as an example.

Robert this was a very good piece, perhaps your best!

Did you also hit the panic button when Palini was mentioned as a fallback.  Absolutely amazing!

It does take a special coach to win here and we had one in BP.  Too bad. 

I agree that Petersen is that coach now that Petrino is gone. 

I can't stand that Miles got into our act.  Shame on Long for letting that happen.  Miles could not win here regardless of how much money we gave him and it was unforgivable Long allowed Miles to use us (one more thing I'm holding against Long...).

So, I've heard Gruden is back in the mix.  He would give us instant recruiting buzz but I'm not at all sure he can win here, either.

We need Petersen.

carolinahogger

15 paragraphs of obvious, which could be gleaned from any hog message board.  Then add a dash of controversial statement.  A Shields article!

I can say with authority that I have never found one bit of new information in an RS "article".

Sed76

The past two seasons have been great for ASU. But, what happens when Gus bolts for greener pastures? Let's be honest, they lucked out in getting what they have and any decent coach out there might accept the job but it will always be a steppingstone job. If they play Texas or any other Big 12 in War Memorial or a field in Conway it won't matter cause they will get slaughtered in a beatdown like Oregon gave them.

Hog_Fink

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 03, 2012, 10:35:24 am

Let's try absurd.

RockChalkJayhawk

This latest installment of 'From the Bench' contains some of the most illogical and bogus stances on situations that we have ever seen. 

However, it shall remain as proof that the coaching search has driven us all, virtually mad.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 03, 2012, 11:09:52 am
Right coach at UA is crucial because we play in the SEC. End of story.
I concur. And IMO for no other reason. Well maybe someones livelihood if they don't get it right at the U of A.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: Robert Shields on December 03, 2012, 10:02:09 am

Robert Shields

As the writing of this, the new Razorback football coach is still unknown. This has not stopped the absolute onslaught of guessing. We have heard the top names floated over and over no matter how ridiculous in Gruden, Patterson, Petersen, Stoops, Gundy, and Miles.

The point was been made by the UA Flack Squad that no offer was ever made to Miles. OK, whatever you say. But I agree with Shane, the caller to Drive Time Sports -- it doesn't matter. The perception nationally is that the Razorbacks were snubbed and put back into its place as not a top tier football program. Perception in this game of finding a coach can become reality.

I have been tough on Long through in this process because I said in the spring the hire should have been made in April, but he needs to take as a long as it takes to get the right hire. Hiring for the sake of hiring would be a mistake, and the Razorbacks, no, the people of Arkansas, cannot afford a mistake on this hire like a Jack Crowe or Stan Heath.

It has to be the right guy and price should not matter. There is nothing more expensive than losing.

Other rumors have also abounded in the last week. The most bizarre is that of Arkansas State trying to get into the Big 12. Not that I don't think ASU wouldn't jump at the chance. I just can't see that ever happening in the foreseeable future.

No doubt, the Big 12 has to find two more teams to remain viable and have a bogus championship game like everyone else. I also agree Texas probably does not care a whole lot who the additions are provided they can beat them and keep their television contract.

I was told former U.S. Sen. David Pryor and the Big 12 commissioner met, but I think if it ever did happen it was to only look at art at Crystal Bridges. It's awesome and thanks Alice Walton.

But what if, as Arkansas leaves Little Rock and the writing is on the wall, ASU lucks out and lands in the Big 12. Anything is possible, and conference realignment is in a weird state.

What happens one day if the Razorbacks are gone from Little Rock and ASU has it annual matchup scheduled against Texas in War Memorial Stadium where ASU plays all its big games in Little Rock?

Robert Shields is a world-class mime who partnered with Lorene Yarnell for a prime-time television show in the late '70s. He later moved to Sedona, Arizona, to become an artist and make jewelry. THIS IS NOT ME.

Buy "Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society" and "Diminishing Paige" at fruitbatbooks.com. Send your coaching choice to fromthebench@yahoo.com and follow me on Twitter @robert1shields.
I agree that ASU is certainly putting things together and ascending at the moment. However, to imply that anytime in the foreseeable future the U of A will be relegated to some "second fiddle" status is ludicrous. Yes, finding the right coach for the Hill is absolutely essential; however, that's more for the ability to offer top notch competition to the other SEC teams AND needed stability (necessary for any solid sports program) than any other reason(s).

arcowboy

I know who Robert Shields is and he is a lot closer to the Razorback program, more likely than anyone else on this message board... May know more of what is going on than you think. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: arcowboy on December 03, 2012, 12:21:17 pm
I know who Robert Shields is and he is a lot closer to the Razorback program, more likely than anyone else on this message board... May know more of what is going on than you think. 

If he thinks UA needs to be worried about the "rise" of ASU, he is not properly analyzing what he does know.

TeufelHog

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: arcowboy on December 03, 2012, 12:21:17 pm
Ahh.........now I see. He and Ole Wally are the two true "inside sources" of the press.

josh_sec33

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: thefisher on December 03, 2012, 11:13:07 am
Although Robert is usually toilet gargle to read this piece did at least raise an interesting hypothetical question that we Hog fans might need to mull over.

If (admittedly it is quiet doubtful), but IF, ASU and Gus keep the push on for national attention (remember Gus's vision of the "Boise State of the South") could they eventually parlay that into lobbying for a Big 12 spot?

IF the answer to that is ever yes then we must consider what impact that might have on in state recruiting. How would playing for Gus's HUNH offense in the Big 12 appeal to in state kids as opposed the playing for The Hogs?

Like him, hate him, or somewhere in between, you have to admit that Malzahn is a game changer.

No one knows and it is all hypothetical. However, with the drive and vision Gus is showing at little time ASU it would be wise to consider this just in case they get some big attention, win a bowl game, win and a couple more Sunbelt championships, and the Big12 extends the welcome mat.

Iowa State is in the BIG12 and are they really any better than ASU?

TCU is the real model for ASU to aspire to, and it took the Frogs decades of grinding it out in the post-SWC universe to finally make it big time.  Being a very rich school, with a rich (but old) tradition in a state swarming with football talent sure helped them out.  Boise St. is a bit of an anomaly - it's the only major football program in a whole region of mediocrity.  They have state-wide support, not easy to do for a city school, no real competition from other in-state schools and no pro competition - they're basically like Arkansas, circa 1958.  ASU's situation is completely different, starting with the fact that they aren't the only game in town in a metro region of 600,000+ people. 
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Robert Shields

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on December 03, 2012, 11:56:47 am
This latest installment of 'From the Bench' contains some of the most illogical and bogus stances on situations that we have ever seen. 

However, it shall remain as proof that the coaching search has driven us all, virtually mad.

Probably so. It gave me a good laugh.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 03, 2012, 10:13:13 am
Who the hell is Robert Shields?

I am so glad someone asked.

Robert Shields is well-known as the inventor of the salon "Hood Hair Dryer"..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: josh_sec33 on December 03, 2012, 11:25:01 am
I mean, MTSU got picked by C-USA over ASU, and ASU dropped 45 on them last weekend.

What does that tell you about where you are in the pecking order of things with regard to conference points of view?

It tells me that C-USA thinks that Middle Tennessee is some sort of stand-in for Memphis than can help pull in the Memphis and Nashville markets.  I think they're looking at it wrong.  MTSU, or any other Sunbelt program for that matter, can't really pull in markets, especially large ones.  They need to be looking for overall program quality and committment, and Arkansas State has that over many of the other Sunbelt teams. 

It's the same faulty logic that led C-USA to take a failing North Texas program, perennial bottom feeder FIU, and a UNC-Charlotte program that won't even be able to play FBS football until 2015.

Tusks

So ASU has some bored rich whale that's going to T Boone them into the big time.  U know a 7-5 program is a 7-5 program no matter how much money u throw at it......I don't even see ASU selling out it's own stadium anytime soon .....or even being ranked.......has ASU ever been ranked by the AP?
lipstick on a wolf is still a stupid wolf.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

average fan

Were Malzahn not at ASU I would tend to agree with you. Those of us with gray hair and good memories can remember when the OSU program was as bad or worse than ASU is now.We used to use them for a rent-a-win every year.Now we're trying to hire their coach. I believe that we Hog fans can't overlook what Gus is capable of in Jonesboro. He's already got the ball rolling and I doubt he can be held back now.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: nutted on December 03, 2012, 02:10:29 pm
So ASU has some bored rich whale that's going to T Boone them into the big time.  U know a 7-5 program is a 7-5 program no matter how much money u throw at it......I don't even see ASU selling out it's own stadium anytime soon .....or even being ranked.......has ASU ever been ranked by the AP?
lipstick on a wolf is still a stupid wolf.
I don't know if they are bored.

Think that is being proven wrong even as we post.

No, they tied with Notre Dame for #22 in 1975 in the number of votes, but they only had a top 20 then.

I don't even want to say what it is on a pig.

Two Socks

It's the same faulty logic that led C-USA to take a failing North Texas program, perennial bottom feeder FIU, and a UNC-Charlotte program that won't even be able to play FBS football until 2015.
[/quote]

Thats why I think ASU would be best suited to position themselves to bypass CUSA if they can.     Big 12 membership is probably quite a ways off for ASU based on $$$, but I think MWC or MAC are better options than CUSA.    At least teams in those conferences are established teams while CUSA just seems content to cherry pick metro area teams with no rhyme or reason.    F_U will never be a player in the Miami market.   That shows bad logic by CUSA.   Heck even the Hurricane struggle to get attention in the Dade county and surrounding regions.

hobhog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 11:04:43 am

Until ASU can consistently get more than 25,000 to show up to the games and have facilities better than Texas high school programs, I will continue to not care. 99% of college football fans can't even name the mascot....