Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Liberty Bowl wants

Started by razorson, November 09, 2012, 12:30:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorson

Hogs vs A-State stated on ASU postgame radio. Just passin it on. :puke:

go hogues

Even if we win two out of the last three, we'd turn down any bowl invite that pitted us against the Injuns.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogwild

No worries LSU & South Carolina aren't going allow that to happen.

razorson

Quote from: go hogues on November 09, 2012, 12:32:23 pm
Even if we win two out of the last three, we'd turn down any bowl invite that pitted us against the Injuns.
We might as well play them so if they beat us its not that big of a deal since we've already been beaten by a Sunbelt team and that we are havin a down year.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: razorson on November 09, 2012, 12:30:06 pm
I'm sure the LB would love that kind of matchup. However, it ain't going to happen 'cause I seriously doubt we'll even have the required wins to qualify.

Jackrabbit Hog

Isn't ASU obligated to another bowl as the Sunbelt champion if they win out?  Forgive me but I'm not up on my Sunbelt protocol.  Anyway, if ASU were to go to the Liberty Bowl, it would be the program's high point and they would probably draw Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee or Vandy as an opponent.  Heck, I'd go see that game since I live in Memphis and could score free tickets pretty easily.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

We will not qualify for a bowl unless the bowl rules change.  I will add this.  If we were good enough to win 2 of 3 and get bowl elgible, we would likely be good enough to beat ASU in a Bowl. 

The closest we will get to a bowl this year is eating a bowl of chips watching some good teams play.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 09, 2012, 12:48:46 pm
Isn't ASU obligated to another bowl as the Sunbelt champion if they win out?  Forgive me but I'm not up on my Sunbelt protocol.  Anyway, if ASU were to go to the Liberty Bowl, it would be the program's high point and they would probably draw Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee or Vandy as an opponent.  Heck, I'd go see that game since I live in Memphis and could score free tickets pretty easily.

It is my understanding that the New Orleans bowl will have to take the Sunbelt champ in one of the next two years. If the N.O bowl committee gets a choice of ASU or one of the LA schools they will take them over the Red Wolves as a matter of the teams close proximity. That would clear the Go-Daddy bowl to picking ASU again. But there was a RUMOR going around last night that the Liberty Bowl reps that were in Jonesboro last night are wanting to make a deal with the Go-Daddy people to let the Liberty Bowl have ASU so that they can match ASU up with Ole Miss. IF Ole Miss becomes bowl eligible. They wanna see a showdown between Malzahn and Freeze and believe such a game would sell out quickly.

Personally I would prefer the Liberty over the other choices simply because the payout there is higher than Mobile or New Orleans would be and the travel is a LOT easier to the game. And seeing that the Bowl controls the tickets.......pretty sure there are no freebies there.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

respirback

I don't think so.  Turning down a bowl game would be recruiting suicide.  That's the only way the players get a good deal of spending money, plus the gifts that come with it.  The team would turn on our administration and riot.

kingofdequeen

Broadway Rob

I have been hearing they actually are wanting ASU v. Ole Miss.  I assume this is because it is unlikely UofA makes a bowl.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

respirback

If it happened, and we came back in overtime and beat them, would JLS keep his job and go on to win multiple conference championships and a NC?

NWA Hog11

If we win 2 out of the next 3, then this team will have a major turn around from the team that started the season. ASU might end up playing the hogs, but it wouldnt be the same team that lost to ULM in the beginning of the season. Records and blowouts can be deceiving if the razorbacks finally gelled and pulled an upset against SC/MSU/LSU.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan! GO HOGS!

EastArkHog 47

The only way ASU could beat OM is if the Rebs fired Hugh Freeze and hired John L Smith.

GolfNut57

Quote from: respirback on November 09, 2012, 01:13:06 pm
If it happened, and we came back in overtime and beat them, would JLS keep his job and go on to win multiple conference championships and a NC?

Only if you go find Stephon Moore somewhere and bring him back to deliberately throw an elbow into an ASU players face.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Arkansas Fan

With JLS coaching the Hogs, ASU would beat us. Once we get our new HC and in year two or three, I say schedule ASU, beat them to shut them up.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 09, 2012, 01:00:21 pm

Personally I would prefer the Liberty over the other choices simply because the payout there is higher than Mobile or New Orleans would be and the travel is a LOT easier to the game. And seeing that the Bowl controls the tickets.......pretty sure there are no freebies there.
My wife and I are members of the Liberty Bowl Association, so we get tickets whether we use them or not.  Also, as a high school referee over here, we get access to tickets too if we want them.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NWARazor

Quote from: respirback on November 09, 2012, 01:13:06 pm
Was watching that game at a wedding reception with a lot of recent ASU grads. Hated the 1st half, but loved the 2nd! :)
Because it's Everything Texas isn't; Better than Ole Miss; a Northerner's Dream and a Southerner's Wish; the Pride of Arkansas; The Ultimate College Experience; Wooooo Pig Sooie; Old Main; LSU's Worst Nightmare; And a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever...

kodiakisland

Yeah, sure they do.  That would give them the smallest TV market of just about any two teams they could put in there.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HF#1

ASU might get there.  The Razorbacks will not.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 09, 2012, 01:27:37 pm
My wife and I are members of the Liberty Bowl Association, so we get tickets whether we use them or not.  Also, as a high school referee over here, we get access to tickets too if we want them.

That's cool. I just thought you were referencing the free tickets ASU gave away for last nights game. My mistake.

GolfNut57

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 09, 2012, 01:38:24 pm

That's cool. I just thought you were referencing the free tickets ASU gave away for last nights game. My mistake.

No problem.  I have no "in" with the ASU people, just with folks over here.

We saw Vandy and Cincinnati last year; boring game.  A few years ago, however, we saw the Bobby Petrino-led Louisville team beat Boise State in a thriller.  Fantastic game played in 70 degree weather the day before New Years Day.  And, of course, saw the "Frigid Bowl" versus East Carolina.

GolfNut57

Quote from: NWARazor on November 09, 2012, 01:31:16 pm
Was watching that game at a wedding reception with a lot of recent ASU grads. Hated the 1st half, but loved the 2nd! :)

You might not have loved the 2nd half if ASU had more than one guy on the bench that game. Back in 86......(or was it 87?) ASU's bench was ultra thin that game due to a couple of players being injured and unavailable. IIRC we went into that game with just 6 players able to play. Unfortunately though we didn't have Gene Hackman around to turn us into a Hoosier like team.  :)

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 09, 2012, 01:43:38 pm
No problem.  I have no "in" with the ASU people, just with folks over here.

We saw Vandy and Cincinnati last year; boring game.  A few years ago, however, we saw the Bobby Petrino-led Louisville team beat Boise State in a thriller.  Fantastic game played in 70 degree weather the day before New Years Day.  And, of course, saw the "Frigid Bowl" versus East Carolina.

Several of the ASU fans have commented on the ASU board that they prefer NOT to go to the Liberty Bowl because they feel like there isn't much to do in Memphis that they can't do already any weekend with Jonesboro being so close by. Plus they don't care for the neighborhood the Bowl is in. Those people are wanting N.O. for obvious reason of the French Quarter.

Myself I have no such reservations about Memphis because I know it would be MEGA cheaper for ASU to travel to Memphis for that bowl game and they would save a ton of moolah if they were to play there. And as I said before, the payout is much better there than it is in N.O. And if the game is in Memphis vs down in LA I would have a much easier time of being able to work my employment schedule to attend the game.

But as it stands right now......ASU doesn't even have a way to make it to the Liberty Bowl since that is tied to the SEC and the CUSA conferences. It will take a lot of wheeling and dealing for the Liberty to agree to take a Sunbelt team is my guess.

Arkstfan

SEC won't be short in Memphis and CUSA isn't going to stand for their champ being shoved out of the bowl for a second straight year.

We took 10,000 to Mobile, figure we can do that for New Orleans and I can find grilled oysters and cold beer and call it a fun weekend, though I suppose I do need to send a check to their traffic department to resolve an outstanding parking ticket before heading to the crescent city.

kingofdequeen

Screw it.  really dgaf about Astate.

if Arky made a bowl that would mean we won 2 of last 3.  I'm down with playing whoever whenever in any bowl at this point.  Young bucks need practice.  PLUS...'could' give new hire a month to practice with team. 

Win/Win/Win.

still don't think AState would beat Arkansas.  If the hogs had a lawn gnome as coach, i'd still put Arkansas -10

code red

Enuff said
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 01:58:55 pm
Enuff said

and who ever made a decision like that, if it were made, should be tarred, feathered and run out on a rail.

that's just dumb.  who turns down revenue and practice time?

Also, that's RIGHT before Legislative hearings and when General Revenue/RSA gets produced....angering GMB would be stupid.

code red

Quote from: razorson on November 09, 2012, 12:38:44 pm
We might as well play them so if they beat us its not that big of a deal since we've already been beaten by a Sunbelt team and that we are havin a down year.
It would destroy in state recruiting...if we lost and we would because we are terrible vs. the spread.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

RollHogTide

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:00:52 pm
It would destroy in state recruiting...if we lost and we would because we are terrible vs. the spread.

So the Hogs should be bigger puthy's than the Aggies.  Got it.

kingofdequeen

DeltaBoy

The Liberty always wants the Hogs because it puts Butts in the seats.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Arkstfan

The "policy" doesn't apply to post-season.

If Arkansas were to get bowl eligible and some bizarre circumstance resulted in Arkansas v. Arkansas State (Arkansas goes to Birmingham and Big East is short a team is the only thing plausible but realistically, the SEC would tell B'ham to take Middle Tenn or WKU), I would expect Arkansas to accept take the recruiting bump and the extra practice time and if Long is close to having a coach, might even have the new coach take over so he can have those practice dates with the team.

GolfNut57

code red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on November 09, 2012, 02:02:20 pm
So the Hogs should be bigger puthy's than the Aggies.  Got it.
Hogs got zero to gain from this match-up.  Lame duck coach wit 15 practices....yooohooo...by that time practice will be baking cookies in the walker pavilion.  JLSmith was a mistake lets move on instead of letting the king of Springdale destroy the Hogs on National TV.

GolfNut57

Broadway Rob

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:00:52 pm

I think it depends on the new coach.  If he isn't considered a home run with and a great recruiter, then Arkansas State could start pulling some in state guys from U of A I think.

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:08:22 pm
Hogs got zero to gain from this match-up.  Lame duck coach wit 15 practices....yooohooo...by that time practice will be baking cookies in the walker pavilion.  JLSmith was a mistake lets move on instead of letting the king of Springdale destroy the Hogs on National TV.

I just pointed out 3 things they had to gain.  GET THE NET!

code red

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 09, 2012, 02:09:56 pm
I think it depends on the new coach.  If he isn't considered a home run with and a great recruiter, then Arkansas State could start pulling some in state guys from U of A I think.

Will it be announced before the Liberty bowl????  If it comes to fruition????  IDK...this thread is kinda insignificant, considering we gotta beat 2 top 25 teams to have a shot.  If we do that then I got to say we should be able to handle the mighty Red Wolves.

code red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on November 09, 2012, 02:15:24 pm
I just pointed out 3 things they had to gain.  GET THE NET!
At this point I disagree with all of them....although I admire your tenacity.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:15:28 pm
Will it be announced before the Liberty bowl????  If it comes to fruition????  IDK...this thread is kinda insignificant, considering we gotta beat 2 top 25 teams to have a shot.  If we do that then I got to say we should be able to handle the mighty Red Wolves.

exactly.  IF they did get eligible that means they beat 2 or 3 teams that would beat just about anyone in the land.  but you're scared to tee it up against Highschool and his oopty-oop offense?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:16:43 pm
At this point I disagree with all of them....although I admire your tenacity.

gorgeous euphemism for "dumbass stubbornness"

code red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on November 09, 2012, 02:18:08 pm
gorgeous euphemism for "dumbass stubbornness"

Typical response....another poster on the offensive...last time I checked...opinions built this great land.  Still don't like the idea of playing ASU...I am out.  It has nothing to do with me being scared.  You wanta stereo types folks...start with the ones who hired JL.

MC_Hog

The Liberty Bowl is C-USA vs SEC.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 09, 2012, 02:54:35 pm
The Liberty Bowl is C-USA vs SEC.

Vandy lost to Big East co-champ Cincinnati last year.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: code red on November 09, 2012, 02:29:49 pm
Typical response....another poster on the offensive...last time I checked...opinions built this great land.  Still don't like the idea of playing ASU...I am out.  It has nothing to do with me being scared.  You wanta stereo types folks...start with the ones who hired JL.

dude.  i was making fun of myself.  not everything is about you, you egomaniac.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 09, 2012, 01:39:04 pm
Excuse my ignorance. GSD?

Great Stadium Debate- the perennial argument as to the merit/non-merit of War Memorial being a viable home game venue.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"