Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stAte AD calls out JL @ Ark (little rock club)

Started by Mike Shelton, September 27, 2012, 08:36:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenwayTigerHog

I think it is silly that UA flat out refuses to play lil' ol' Arkansas State. Hell if I was Arkansas State's AD I'd go for the cheap pop too.  Why not?  If we are going to refuse to play someone we should be willing to accept that poo will be flung at us from them. 

$outhwesthog

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 27, 2012, 08:57:19 am
It isn't the same group.

This is nothing new from ASU and the policy isn't changing.  He is just rallying his people with it just as ASU AD's and coaches have done in the past.

14 returning starters of 21 is a pretty good start to the season.
April 11 2012
The day of infamy

nwarazfan

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on September 27, 2012, 09:54:48 am
I think it is silly that UA flat out refuses to play lil' ol' Arkansas State. Hell if I was Arkansas State's AD I'd go for the cheap pop too.  Why not?  If we are going to refuse to play someone we should be willing to accept that poo will be flung at us from them. 

Many flagship universities would prefer not to have to play in state programs ooc but they are forced.  I don't mind their flinging.  I know it bothers their small Hog hating faction that blames all of their problems of Frank and the UA.  For that reason, I want the policy to stay as is. 

Quote from: $outhwesthog on September 27, 2012, 09:55:23 am
14 returning starters of 21 is a pretty good start to the season.

22 and some have claimed 17 returning starters.  Still not the same group. 

lawhawg

Quote from: Mike Shelton on September 27, 2012, 08:36:25 am
Said its time to have a "in border" rivalry.. ill get the link once its available. 
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: THOUGHTS???

UCA would make a fine rival for ASU.

rickm1976

I wouldn't mind playing Arizona State University occasionally.  They have a respectable program.

Hog-Corleone

StAte AD Terry Mohajir calls UA AD Jeff Long:

StAte:  Hello Mister Long, do you have a few minutes to discuss the possibility of our two football teams competing against each other in the future:

UA:  Well, our policy on this issue is still the same as it has always been, but I will keep an open mind and listen to what you have to say...

StAte:  Well, I think most people in the state would love to see this happen, it would be beneficial to both teams, the fan support would be tremendous, and it could be the start of rivalry between the two teams.

UA:  You make some interesting points, but let's get down to the meat of it, money.

StAte:  Well, we are thinking since this would be an in-state game, travel would be minimal, how about say $500,000.

UA:  I was thinking more along the lines of $750,000

StAte: We will definitely take that, thanks for your generosity.  That sounds really good.

UA:  Uh, no, you pay us $750,000.

StAte:  (Long silence), Uhmm, normally the money part of the deal goes the other way...

UA:  So, let's get this straight... You come to me, wanting to schedule a game, mind you, one that really does not benefit our program at all, and then you have the balls to ask me to pay you for that game.  Seriously...

StAte:  Yes, that's how it works with our other non-conference games...

UA:  Quit wasting my time, and call me back when you actually have something to offer.  Right now, i have much more important things to do, like find a coach for 2013.  Click....Dialtone....
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

my3boneheads

I would love to watch them play each other. I think it would be good for the state. Give Arkansas 3 home games and ASU 1 or play the games in Little Rock. Arkansas is going to win 90% of the time but because of the rivalry it wouldn't always be a blowout especially this year.

UncleFrank

QuoteAre we the only state that doesn't play a instate school?

Well.......let's see.

Michigan and Michigan State play every year......Oh, wait a minute....that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

Hmmm..........Hey, Ole Miss and Mississippi State play every year.....Oh, wait a minute...that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

North Carolina and NC State play every year, too..........Uh-Oh...My bad...That's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

Well....Tennessee and Vandy play every year, also, and--no, no, wait....that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

How about USC and UCLA?  Or OU and Okie State?  Or maybe Arizona and Arizona State?  Or Oregon and Oregon State?  Or Kansas and Kansas State?  Or even Washington and Washington State?
Oh, yeah.......they're all in THE SAME CONFERENCE with one another, too.

Well, on the other hand, Clemson and South Carolina play every year and they're not in the same conference........and so do Georgia and Georgia Tech.....and Florida and Florida State....and Louisville and Kentucky...........oh, wait a minute, though......they're all IN MAJOR BCS CONFERENCES.....and have all been playing one another for decades.

Hmmmm (again).............wonder why Ohio State doesn't play Akron and Dayton every year?  Or Miami of Ohio every year?  Or Cincinnati?  Bet it's just because they're "afraid".

You know......I think there's a simple solution to this "problem".
Let ASU get into the same conference with Arkansas!
Or, at least, let them get into a MAJOR CONFERENCE of some kind.
Then, maybe, we can at least talk about it.

(And by the way.....before you point out that ULM is in the same conference as ASU and we play them occasionally.......the key word there is 'occasionally'.....we don't play them every year....and whenever we do play them, it's ALWAYS on our home field. We don't go there.
If ASU wants to play us once every five or six years--and ALWAYS in Fayetteville--then they might stand a slightly better chance of selling that deal....if you're an ASU fan--all four of you--it might be worth a shot!  ;D)

TOM "tbw1"

1.  You have an in state competitor that runs a car dealership similar to yours.  Why should you take from your profit and give it to your competitor?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Redhogs

On the list of our problems right now....this is 649 down the list...screw AR St.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: UncleFrank on September 27, 2012, 10:21:36 am
(And by the way.....before you point out that ULM is in the same conference as ASU and we play them occasionally.......the key word there is 'occasionally'.....we don't play them every year

But we do play a Sunbelt team every year, just sayin'.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on September 27, 2012, 10:24:05 am
1.  You have an in state competitor that runs a car dealership similar to yours.  Why should you take from your profit and give it to your competitor?

Bingo(+1)...unfortunately, there are a lot of people who can't grasp this.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

my3boneheads

I'm sure ASU would take 1.3 million and play at Fayetteville every couple of years.

hogpowr

I ain't skeert!  We could stomp a mud hole in'm annually, it would be like Fl vs KY, both sides know how it's gonna end.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

latrops

Quote from: atekido on September 27, 2012, 09:33:41 am
i need whatever your smoking lol!  the only team in the SEC we would maybe beat right now is Kentucky.  and we may possibly beat tulsa.    so who are the other 3 teams you think we are going to beat or even worse... name 5 more to get us to 8 wins....

This is a rebuilding wether you want to believe that or not.  and next year will be a huge rebuilding.  we are losing basically all experience on the Offensive side of the ball.  and losing pretty mcuh all the playmakers on the defensive side too minus 1-2.  this team is going to be VERY young and depleted.  This team will have less talent next year than what it had when Petrino took over.

We have defensive playmakers?  I'd have never guessed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 08:59:08 am
That is just another way of saying Arkansas is scared.
of what? i WISH we were playing them instead of Tulsa. guaranteed win either way.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: my3boneheads on September 27, 2012, 10:13:50 am
I would love to watch them play each other. I think it would be good for the state.

How would this be good for the state? (and no, you can't use the fallacious, "keep the money in-state" argument).
Why take two groups of people (fan bases), who are already divided, and do something to create even more division? I can't hardly stand the bickering between the two now, without the two schools playing.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawk

Been gone for a while... But I am shocked stAte has gotten big enough to have an AD! Who'd have thunk it?

Torqued pork

Hogs vs. Red Wolves will only happen if the state legislature mandates it and that would pi$$ off too many Hog fans.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: UncleFrank on September 27, 2012, 10:21:36 am
Well.......let's see.

Michigan and Michigan State play every year......Oh, wait a minute....that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

Hmmm..........Hey, Ole Miss and Mississippi State play every year.....Oh, wait a minute...that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

North Carolina and NC State play every year, too..........Uh-Oh...My bad...That's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

Well....Tennessee and Vandy play every year, also, and--no, no, wait....that's because they're both in THE SAME CONFERENCE.

How about USC and UCLA?  Or OU and Okie State?  Or maybe Arizona and Arizona State?  Or Oregon and Oregon State?  Or Kansas and Kansas State?  Or even Washington and Washington State?
Oh, yeah.......they're all in THE SAME CONFERENCE with one another, too.

Well, on the other hand, Clemson and South Carolina play every year and they're not in the same conference........and so do Georgia and Georgia Tech.....and Florida and Florida State....and Louisville and Kentucky...........oh, wait a minute, though......they're all IN MAJOR BCS CONFERENCES.....and have all been playing one another for decades.

Hmmmm (again).............wonder why Ohio State doesn't play Akron and Dayton every year?  Or Miami of Ohio every year?  Or Cincinnati?  Bet it's just because they're "afraid".

You know......I think there's a simple solution to this "problem".
Let ASU get into the same conference with Arkansas!
Or, at least, let them get into a MAJOR CONFERENCE of some kind.
Then, maybe, we can at least talk about it.

(And by the way.....before you point out that ULM is in the same conference as ASU and we play them occasionally.......the key word there is 'occasionally'.....we don't play them every year....and whenever we do play them, it's ALWAYS on our home field. We don't go there.
If ASU wants to play us once every five or six years--and ALWAYS in Fayetteville--then they might stand a slightly better chance of selling that deal....if you're an ASU fan--all four of you--it might be worth a shot!  ;D)

Ohio State played Miami of Ohio in week 1 this year.  In 2011, they played both Akron and Toledo.  In 2010, they played Ohio University.  In 2009, they played Toledo and in 2008 they played Ohio University and Youngstown State.  In future years, they are playing Kent State and Cincinnati. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

UncleFrank

September 27, 2012, 11:06:23 am #70 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:26:53 am by UncleFrank
But they're not playing ANY OF THEM every year, are they?
And they're not playing any of them on the road, are they?

Ohio State is throwing 1 or 2 of about 7 different schools a few 'scraps' every year (and keeping another OOC game at home) by playing each of them on an occasional basis.
They are in no real danger of losing to any of them and none of them will ever even remotely approach the fan support or prominence of THE Ohio State University.
In other words.......Ohio State is staying home for another game and they risk NOTHING at all by playing those schools once in a while.

If UA lost even once to ASU in ten years, they would take a hit for it, in terms of national credibility and perception.
And there's at least a chance--given that we're no Ohio State--that we could slip up once a decade and lose.
There's essentially no chance of that happening to Ohio State against any of those schools, with the possible (remote) exception of Cincinnati, and that's not much of a risk, either.
That's the difference, in my opinion.

It's a guaranteed WIN-WIN for Ohio State. That would not be case for us playing ASU.

HogSophist

Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 08:59:08 am
That is just another way of saying Arkansas is scared.

cool arkansas is scared. call it whatever you want. THE UofA is not demanding Astate play. if they did, it would happen.

now move along astate.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

UncleFrank

And what was that reason, again, that ASU stopped playing UCA?
How come they don't play every year?  ;D

JaketheSnake

Why doesnt ASU pay Arkansas Tech a million $ to come play them?

nwarazfan

Quote from: NashvilleHog on September 27, 2012, 11:00:02 am
Ohio State played Miami of Ohio in week 1 this year.  In 2011, they played both Akron and Toledo.  In 2010, they played Ohio University.  In 2009, they played Toledo and in 2008 they played Ohio University and Youngstown State.  In future years, they are playing Kent State and Cincinnati. 

Ohio State went decades without playing Cincinnati and they still didn't schedule an annual series when they resumed.  Most flagship institutions have at least been reluctant to play or have had to be forced to play lower level ooc in state programs.  Arkansas isn't unique in this.  OM hasn't played USM since the 80's.  Miss St is going to play USM for the first time since 1990 in a few seasons. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I'm not sure I like the idea.  However:

Serious question for the business/entrepreneur types(of which I do not pretend to be):  If done right(and Lord PLEASE not at War Memorial) and consistently so:  Could a game like this help give a small boost to the economy in AR?

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

elksnort

The way the Razorbacks' secondary is playing this season, ASU would absolutely shred the Hogs with their passing game.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: notshavintiljlsgo on September 27, 2012, 11:16:11 am

Serious question for the business/entrepreneur types(of which I do not pretend to be):  If done right(and Lord PLEASE not at War Memorial) and consistently so:  Could a game like this help give a small boost to the economy in AR?

I dont really think so.  It would help the town where the game is held, but likely no more than any other game.  It is not of great national interest, so it would be a game on PPV or ESPN The Ocho.  ASU would likely gain some extra interest from it through memorabilia but little else.  It would be huge interest in state, but outside the borders no one would give a crap.  The biggest advantage would be to beat the crap out of StAte and shut them up about playing.  Biggest pitfall would be a close game or a UA loss because of the national media laughing at us... see ULM.  Might have a very minor effect on recruiting, but the people of Arkansas still would know that UA is the place to play serious football. 

elksnort

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 27, 2012, 11:27:05 am
If it happens, it should be played at WMS and with an extra $ tacked on to ticket price. That money could be donated to the Arkansas Children's Hospital in honor of both schools.

Excellent idea.

UncleFrank

How about just have Gus and Bobby Petrino square off in a 'steel cage match', with John L. Smith as the 'special referee'?
How much would you pay to see that?  ;D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: elksnort on September 27, 2012, 11:29:13 am
Excellent idea.

Yep, can't argue with that, as much as I dislike WMS.
That would be awesome.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

MJ2

Breems

I simply cannot fathom why ASU continually begs to receive an annual spanking (well, I can, but we'll leave that out of this).

As soon as our ol' pal Jeff gets this train back on the tracks to crystalville and we're done licking our wounds, it wouldn't even be humane. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Pyrotechnician

Always been a razorback fan.  I do watch ASU too and support them as an in state school.  We should all support our in state colleges.  IMO, the fact that arkansas plays every school from the sunbelt except for ASU is a cowards way out.  There is no reason that Ark should not play ASU every year.

Jacksonville st.
ULM
Troy
LA Lafy
NE LA
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

nwarazfan

LSU must be cowards too, right Flamer?  They went from the 30's and 40's until the last decade without playing ULL or ULM or La Tech and have only played each a few times since. 

HogSophist

Maybe they should play a jamboree on a Saturday with all other Arkansas football programs.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

TOM "tbw1"

Pyro,

Do you think the University of Arkansas Razorbacks and the Arkansas State Indians are rivals and competitors?

Do you think Arkansas State is trying to build up their program and go against Arkansas for in-state recruits?

If you are an Arkansas Razorbacks fan and answer the above questions yes, tell me why the University of Arkansas should help fund a competitor?  Should we send money to help Vanderbilt challenge us?

Maybe, just maybe, Alabama and LSU will contribute to us so we can more closely compete with them.  When do you see that happening?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

dynastyhog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 27, 2012, 10:27:07 am
On the list of our problems right now....this is 649 down the list...screw AR St.

We got 99 problems, but A state ain't one.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Shelton on September 27, 2012, 08:36:25 am
Said its time to have a "in border" rivalry.. ill get the link once its available. 
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: THOUGHTS???
My thought: same ole B.S. Who gives a damn?

Athog

Screw State!! If they want a rival choose UCA and mind his own business!!

Porkbutt Gary

"IF" a UA/ASU game is SO good for the state, let the State Legislature appropriate the money to pay the lease and cost of the game to the WMS commission and the winner of the game gets all the receipts (Gate & Concessions).  That would give each school something to play for.  Lets see who REALLY wants the game?
Once a  Razorback, Always a Razorback  ... Unless you're a Nutt!

Horthawg

They squawk the loudest when Arkansas has a down year. You would not have heard of this the last few years.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

razorjacket43

Thats right we got beat by lil ole ulm, lets not dare put a team that is in the same state as us and in the same conference as ulm cause we couldnt handle the let down a loss from ASU would bring us. Or is it yall good ole boys wanna try and keep them down. I have respect for State. They have played teams way above their level and put out the effort a team should put out. They didnt lay down they kept trying. I think it would be a great idea for the two schools to play. So smite away smiter's :razorback: :puke: ::hornsdown::
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

astate

Arkansas State has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing Arkansas. 

Playing Arkansas this year would just hurt ASU's strength of schedule.

elksnort

Quote from: notshavintiljlsgo on September 27, 2012, 11:32:12 am
Yep, can't argue with that, as much as I dislike WMS.
That would be awesome.
And think of the warm and fuzzy publicity it would give both schools and the state. (I am serious, but hope I don't sound cynical with the "warm and fuzzy" comment).

The Hogfather

Quote from: notshavintiljlsgo on September 27, 2012, 11:16:11 am

No

Dwight_K_Shrute

JFC why the hell not.  Play the game in WMS, let that be the only game we play in that stuff hole each year and shut them the hell up.  By the time we get the deets worked out the Hogs may actually be good again.  Time to get excited about something again.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 27, 2012, 12:30:03 pm
JFC why the hell not.  Play the game in WMS, let that be the only game we play in that stuff hole each year and shut them the hell up.  By the time we get the deets worked out the Hogs may actually be good again.  Time to get excited about something again.

Are you really going to be excited to play a Sun Belt team? 

tannerstahl

Forgive my ignorance, but does Arkansas state have a thriving message board website similar to hogville?
i love the hogs....so very very much