Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stAte AD calls out JL @ Ark (little rock club)

Started by Mike Shelton, September 27, 2012, 08:36:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shelton

Said its time to have a "in border" rivalry.. ill get the link once its available. 
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: THOUGHTS???

Ex-Trumpet

Seems there already is a rivalry...just not on the field.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Agent of Chaos

Oh, I'm sure stAte would LOVE to start one now as we start rebulding. Interesting time to come out and officially say you want to start a "rivalry".

No. There will NEVER be a "rivalry" between our schools. It would only be a game.

This isn't Michigan/MSU. This isn't Ole Miss/MissST.

The disparity between the two teams is too great.

Sorry stAte, you went about this the wrong way. If you wanted a game, you should have approached Jeff Long about it, not took it public.

Go suck eggs.

We have bigger, more important issues right now than you.

And we probably always will.

Good luck through the rest of your season, which is what you SHOULD be focusing on now, anyway. What a silly, silly time to bring this up.
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

Count De Money

As the policeman said, "Still irrelevent, move along, move along". 

jcul28

I'm still confused why people think we are "rebuilding"?  This is the same group of kids that went 11-2 last year.  There are still going to be some VERY good ball players here next year.  We WILL finish next year with a better record than this year, and I think we will finish with 6-8 wins this year.  This is not going to be a rebuilding process, this is going to be, hire a new coach, with some fire in his gut and lets go to work type deal!

As for Arkansas St.  I don't care one way or the other if they played each other.  It could be a LR game which would be ok.  I don't see ASU beating the Hogs anytime soon.  Including this year.

(notOM)Rebel123

They need to worry about how they are going to pay Gus....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PeabodyHawg

JaketheSnake

Does it matter?  Sign a contract to start playing them in 8 years... we will still beat the crap out of them and Gus will be gone.  Of course he is going to push a little harder for it this year bc they want the extra publicity with the UA having a down year. 

Sivad

Their whole little sad put-upon world is tied to their dreams of being saved by that nonexistent game.

DrSwineESQ

He's saying this now because there's blood in the water, razorback fans are disillusioned, many are angry, and he has a coach in Jboro that a lot of hog fans like (though, I'm not one of them).   The stAte AD is just trying to draw attention to stAte.   He knows JL isn't interested in a rivalry--JL said that again yesterday.   You can expect, if stAte beats ULM tonight, that the crowing in Jboro will just get louder.

Hawg Balling

BartIV

(notOM)Rebel123

After being away from ASU for how many years? Now he's been on the job for 2 weeks. Didn't take them long to re-indoctrinate him.

Sivad

Razorpigg

The_Iceman

All benefit to them, no benefit to us.

Never gonna happen.

nwarazfan

Quote from: jcul28 on September 27, 2012, 08:47:46 am
I'm still confused why people think we are "rebuilding"?  This is the same group of kids that went 11-2 last year.  There are still going to be some VERY good ball players here next year.  We WILL finish next year with a better record than this year, and I think we will finish with 6-8 wins this year.  This is not going to be a rebuilding process, this is going to be, hire a new coach, with some fire in his gut and lets go to work type deal!

As for Arkansas St.  I don't care one way or the other if they played each other.  It could be a LR game which would be ok.  I don't see ASU beating the Hogs anytime soon.  Including this year.

It isn't the same group.

This is nothing new from ASU and the policy isn't changing.  He is just rallying his people with it just as ASU AD's and coaches have done in the past. 

(notOM)Rebel123

I think it is in their personnel policy that you must call for a game with Arkansas within the first 2 weeks of your hiring.

BartIV

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 27, 2012, 08:57:02 am

Never gonna happen.
That is just another way of saying Arkansas is scared.

Sooie-cidal

ASU is a 3 point underdog at home against Western Kentucky this week. Nothing else to say about this desired "rivalry".
Quote from: Arthur Dick Ranney on September 24, 2012, 10:10:16 pm
well that is 7 more wins than this team is going to get eistinen

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 08:59:08 am
That is just another way of saying Arkansas is scared.

Not scared...just have other fish to fry. The UofA has a business plan/strategy in place to maximize their revenue. A game with ASU is not part of the plan.  Obviously, ASU feels it necessary to have a game with the UofA in order to meet their financial obligations. The UofA doesn't feel it would be in their best interest. It's clearly a case of "risk vs. reward". What does the UofA have to gain?....nothing.

BartIV

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 27, 2012, 09:04:25 am
Not scared...just have other fish to fry. The UofA has a business plan/strategy in place to maximize their revenue. A game with ASU is not part of the plan.  Obviously, ASU feels it necessary to have a game with the UofA in order to meet their financial obligations. The UofA doesn't feel it would be in their best interest. It's clearly a case of "risk vs. reward". What does the UofA have to gain?....nothing.
Was the ULM game part of their master plan???

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 09:06:46 am

Don't be that guy.

Stop being that guy.

Michael Porkleone

Haha.

Those guys are so cute with their little brother complex.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

The Great Hogsby

In order to have a rivalry both teams have to mean something to each other.

I'm afraid this is a one way street.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

BartIV

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on September 27, 2012, 09:09:23 am
Don't be that guy.

Stop being that guy.
Honest response though. Arkansas played a Sun Belt team (so is Arkansas State) and Arkansas had their rear handed to them by a SUN BELT University of Louisiana at Monroe.

nwarazfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 27, 2012, 08:57:02 am

Never gonna happen.

It may would not be a benefit to ASU in terms of financial and fan support.  I know a lot of people from E Ark who support both but if pushed or if something were to happen in terms of ugly incidents and they had to decide, the Hogs would win out.  NWA money is going to ASU right now as well to help pay for Gus.  We've seen how that small core of ASU fans have behaved in the past.  They don't really want a real rivalry that would be divisive.  Well unless the Fowler family wants to be their T Boone.

(notOM)Rebel123

September 27, 2012, 09:11:36 am #27 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:13:30 am by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 09:06:46 am

Scheduling the game...yes. Losing the game...no.
Life goes on.

Does your teacher know you are on the internet?

mike7156

This is one of those questions I never understood. It is beneficial to play ULM or Troy, and give ULM a home game for their school even though we still wear our home unis and take all revenue. But it is not beneficial to play stAte. Tell the entire State OK we are going to play stAte every year in Little rock but the rest of the games are being moved back on campus, where I think they should be. And I do live in central Arkansas. You can never make everyone happy, but it would mean more money in the athletic department. You still have a game in little rock that will always be a sell out, and all other home games are on campus as they should be. Just an opinion.
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

tankfan

We should just play them. We could use an easy win right about now. Better than sending almost $1 million to Louisiana. It might be fun. Are there any other states that have multiple D-1 schools that won't play each other?

The Hogfather

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: BartIV on September 27, 2012, 09:10:39 am
Honest response though. Arkansas played a Sun Belt team (so is Arkansas State) and Arkansas had their rear handed to them by a SUN BELT University of Louisiana at Monroe.

We also had a 10 year contract with them.

Stop being that guy.

Sivad

Quote from: mike7156 on September 27, 2012, 09:19:33 am
This is one of those questions I never understood. It is beneficial to play ULM or Troy...But it is not beneficial to play stAte. 
Rest easy. The UofA understands it.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: mike7156 on September 27, 2012, 09:19:33 am
This is one of those questions I never understood. It is beneficial to play ULM or Troy, and give ULM a home game for their school even though we still wear our home unis and take all revenue. But it is not beneficial to play stAte. Tell the entire State OK we are going to play stAte every year in Little rock but the rest of the games are being moved back on campus, where I think they should be. And I do live in central Arkansas. You can never make everyone happy, but it would mean more money in the athletic department. You still have a game in little rock that will always be a sell out, and all other home games are on campus as they should be. Just an opinion.
:razorback: :razorback:Like this idea! +1 :razorback: :razorback:
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

The Hogfather

September 27, 2012, 09:27:22 am #34 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:31:08 am by The Hogfather
Also, I'm tired of hearing the "keep the money in state" argument.  It is completely idiotic.

1.  We would be paying our potential direct competitor, to help them grow their business (program).

2.  Whichever team ASU goes to play, whether it be Oregon/Nebraska, etc, pays them $1 million or however much they pay them, and that money comes back to the state of Arkansas.  There is no difference in the amount of money coming/going into/out of the state of Arkansas.  The only potential difference would be that we likely wouldn't pay ASU as much as Oregon/Nebraska pay ASU.  They could actually lose money by playing Arkansas, at least in pure game revenue.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Sivad on September 27, 2012, 09:24:55 am
Rest easy. The UofA understands it.

I just hope they don't cave to all the people who think it would be "fun" to play ASU and it would "keep all the money in the state".

HiggiePiggy

It's rebuilding when the staff is pretty much packed it in for the season and you do realize next year we lose a ton of experienced players right? 

We might have a better record next year depending on the coach we get because our record this year will probably be no better than 5-7 maybe 6-6 and how fast he can recruit because the defense will suck just like it sucks now and the offense will get a lot worse. Right now it's pretty good as long as Tyler Wilson is healthy.  He goes out and we suck on both sides of the field.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

atekido

I think we will finish with 6-8 wins this year.  This is not going to be a rebuilding process,

i need whatever your smoking lol!  the only team in the SEC we would maybe beat right now is Kentucky.  and we may possibly beat tulsa.    so who are the other 3 teams you think we are going to beat or even worse... name 5 more to get us to 8 wins....

This is a rebuilding wether you want to believe that or not.  and next year will be a huge rebuilding.  we are losing basically all experience on the Offensive side of the ball.  and losing pretty mcuh all the playmakers on the defensive side too minus 1-2.  this team is going to be VERY young and depleted.  This team will have less talent next year than what it had when Petrino took over.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 27, 2012, 09:29:15 am
I just hope they don't cave to all the people who think it would be "fun" to play ASU and it would "keep all the money in the state".

This ^^^^^^

There is no benefit at all to the Hogs if they decide to play ASU.

Remember those fun t-shirts ULM printed after their win? How do you think ASU fans would act? They might only win 1 in 20 but would that 1 be worth the risk?

Would it help recruiting? No.

Would I be that much of a financial win? Not enough to chance.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Hawg Balling

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 27, 2012, 09:29:15 am

This

Hog-Corleone

I have always been against playing stAte in the past, and still am really.  I do try to keep an open mind on the subject though.  My question is this:

How much is stAte willing to pay the UofA to get this game.  That must be taken into consideration in my opinion.  I mean they want it so bad, maybe they need to open the check book.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

(notOM)Rebel123

I'm afraid the rivalry would turn ugly pretty quickly. A healthy rivalry can be a good thing. But considering all the mouthing that goes on now, without the two schools playing, I'd hate to see how bad it could get with a game.

Just curious, if the two schools did play in LR, would ASU be satisfied with the same # of tickets now allotted to a visting team?

HawgAlude

If Rutgers and ULM beat this team then you can be sure that Western Kentucky and ASU could as well.

pitbull1

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: HawgAlude on September 27, 2012, 09:39:38 am
If Rutgers and ULM beat this team then you can be sure that Western Kentucky and ASU could as well.

Rutgers would beat ASU this year. They were a solid team. ULM...maybe not.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 27, 2012, 09:35:47 am
I have always been against playing stAte in the past, and still am really.  I do try to keep an open mind on the subject though.  My question is this:

How much is stAte willing to pay the UofA to get this game.  That must be taken into consideration in my opinion.  I mean they want it so bad, maybe they need to open the check book.

Excellent question. They are asking the UofA to play. If they played at RRS, then ASU isn't going to be satisfied with their ticket allotment. Then, they'll campaign to play in WMS. Game gets moved to WMS. Then, ASU is going to demand 1/2 the tickets to the game. You know what happens when the camel gets his nose under the tent.

Teebow62

The best is Bama-Auburn and Army-Navy, followed by Ohio State-Michigan. Even if A-State became a decent program it would never match that kind of rivalry.

IndianaHog

Enough already we are in the SEC and their in the Sunbelt no recruit will pick them over us lets play them to bring excitement to the state as state schools play each other. Are we the only state that doesn't play a instate school?

UncleFrank

QuoteThis isn't Michigan/MSU. This isn't Ole Miss/MissST.

More like Ole Miss-Mississippi Valley State.

And ULM will beat ASU by at least a coupla TDs later this year.
This is the same ASU team that struggled AT HOME to beat Memphis (currently ranked DEAD LAST amongst the 120 teams in the FBS) by 5 points. Guess Gus forgot to wear his superman cape that night, huh?