Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why didnt Jonathan Adams sign with the Hogs?

Started by rangertaunton, February 25, 2011, 02:52:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rangertaunton

I know this is about 12 years late,but why didn't he commit here? I know he loved the hogs,but ended up signing with Astate and had a very average career. Seems like I remember him not being able to get into fayetteville but qualifying per sun belt requirements. Anybody know and what he is doing today? Such great talent but I think he was a little overrated and couldn't ever put together a healthy year. Thanks,I will hang up and listen
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

IronHog

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerRB.asp?id=1208374

Actually he had a nice college career.

He and Ron Johnson of Watson Chapel were both dominate HS RB's of that era that went on to good but not stellar college careers.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

rangertaunton

I didn't know that he was a 1000yd back twice. That is a really nice career,but considering the accolades he came in with I would still say his career was a little below expectations. And you are correct,him and ron johnson did have loads of ability. I still have flashbacks of stopping him on the goalline on 4th down my senior year. He still had abt 175 yards and 3 touchdowns but we(Crossett) beat them with our own orlando green going for 200 and returning a kickoff for a td.good times
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

IronHog

Quote from: rangertaunton on February 25, 2011, 03:10:23 pm
I didn't know that he was a 1000yd back twice. That is a really nice career,but considering the accolades he came in with I would still say his career was a little below expectations. And you are correct,him and ron johnson did have loads of ability. I still have flashbacks of stopping him on the goalline on 4th down my senior year. He still had abt 175 yards and 3 touchdowns but we(Crossett) beat them with our own orlando green going for 200 and returning a kickoff for a td.good times

Adams won state vs. Chapel his Sr. year.  WC even put Johnson at LB and couldn't stop him.

Johnson was a man among boys the next year as WC won state.  He apparently didn't have the heart to be a SEC RB.  He probably needed a HC like BP and ended up with Nutt.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

WADHOG

Same reason as Chico Fletcher.........Clinton Gore.

sage_dragoon

February 25, 2011, 05:08:18 pm #5 Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:10:04 pm by sage_dragoon
Quote from: WADHOG on February 25, 2011, 04:38:24 pm
Same reason as Chico Fletcher.........Clinton Gore.

Didn't seem to keep David Barrett from coming to the Razorbacks.

Edit: or Chris Baker
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

RumHam

Mark Baker(TE in the mid 90"s) also went to the Hill under Clinton Gore's regime.

stchane

Expletive, expletive, expletive, expletive, expletive that guy.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

WilsonHog

By the way, Jonathan Adams has a son named Korliss Marshall, who is a running back and defensive back at Osceola.

He's every bit as good as his father was.

ml2200

Quote from: IronHog on February 25, 2011, 03:14:49 pm
Adams won state vs. Chapel his Sr. year.  WC even put Johnson at LB and couldn't stop him.

Johnson was a man among boys the next year as WC won state.  He apparently didn't have the heart to be a SEC RB.  He probably needed a HC like BP and ended up with Nutt.

Adams was a year younger than Ron Johnson.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: IronHog on February 25, 2011, 03:14:49 pm

That was my Soph year at Greenwood.

I still have nightmares of Ron Johnson and Bobby Jett.

The WC team that beat us in Little Rock might have been the best high school team I've seen.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hardtimes79

Thats actually not correct ron didn't play until the end of the game.  They thought they could beat us by sitting him out and having Jett at tailback.  They tried to bring him in at the end and overtime to beat us but we held on.  I actually think the Malvern team that beat us two years in a row was better, but the way the playoffs fell they had to go on the road to greenwood.  If they had home field I think they would've won it all.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

RedSoxFan

Adams did have a decent career at aState.. i was in jonesboro at the time still in high school...

on a side note.. chico fletcher is from arkansas??? i have a funny story about this guy... asu would practice at my high school (at the time, brookland had one of the nicer gyms in the area) asu had practice after our practice was over... apparently chico was the last one out and walking towards our lockerroom a guy came out before chico and said i wouldn't go in there if i were you... chico just fired a bomb... thinking nothing of it we were all excited to get changed and watch them practice... we walked in the lockerroom and immediately turned around and walked back out... it was the most god awful smell... for some reason it still haunts me to this day... lol

Poker_hog

February 26, 2011, 09:57:48 am #13 Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:04:49 am by Poker_hog

And a lot of home cooking by the refs.  If I remeber corectly two long TDs called back by the refs.  Not a fun week of practice after that game.

We also beat u guys by like 20 in baseball in the regular season but I think yall won the state tittle
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

secneahog

Antonio Warren was a beast in HS also...I hated trying to tackle him..I liked going after Dangelo Williams more then Antonio for sure.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

hardtimes79

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 26, 2011, 09:57:48 am
And a lot of home cooking by the refs.  If I remeber corectly two long TDs called back by the refs.  Not a fun week of practice after that game.

We also beat u guys by like 20 in baseball in the regular season but I think yall won the state tittle

Two were called back on the same drive for holding, but I think y'all still scored.  Both times were fly patterns to dante wesley.  As far as baseball y'all roughed us up pretty bad in chapel when everyone on the team seemed to get a hit.  I was in the outfield and was chasing the fence the whole game.  We also always had trouble hitting the Heath Mckoin (sp?) kid even in summer ball when he played for the pine bluff all star team.  We lost by one when yall came to Crossett, but like you said we got the ring in the end.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hardtimes79 on February 26, 2011, 12:42:41 pm
Two were called back on the same drive for holding, but I think y'all still scored.  Both times were fly patterns to dante wesley.  As far as baseball y'all roughed us up pretty bad in chapel when everyone on the team seemed to get a hit.  I was in the outfield and was chasing the fence the whole game.  We also always had trouble hitting the Heath Mckoin (sp?) kid even in summer ball when he played for the pine bluff all star team.  We lost by one when yall came to Crossett, but like you said we got the ring in the end.

You're probably right about the holding calls.  BTW Johnson had an ankle sprain.  We would have won by 3 TDs if he was 100%. But if my aunt had a sack........  You mentioned Donte Wesley.   He was like the 10th best player on that team but had a great college career at UAPB and was stil playing in the NFL last year. 

Malvern was ranked #1 most of that year but suposidly greenwood soaked the field before they played in the playoffs, killing thier speed advantage and rushing attack.  Gotta love home field advantage. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hardtimes79

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 26, 2011, 02:08:31 pm
You're probably right about the holding calls.  BTW Johnson had an ankle sprain.  We would have won by 3 TDs if he was 100%. But if my aunt had a sack........  You mentioned Donte Wesley.   He was like the 10th best player on that team but had a great college career at UAPB and was stil playing in the NFL last year. 

Malvern was ranked #1 most of that year but suposidly greenwood soaked the field before they played in the playoffs, killing thier speed advantage and rushing attack.  Gotta love home field advantage.
I'm not saying yall weren't loaded.  The year before we got humiliated, but both of those years I felt like that Malvern was bigger and faster than y'all, but it doesn't matter Chapel got the ring.  We were a one trick pony type team O.G left, O.G. right, O.G. counter play.

jep_hog_fan

Maybe the same reason deangelo Williams didn't.

varrichione

This is true.  Their excuse was that they "accidently" left the springlers on overnight.  Yeah right.  It had rained earlier that week, and it was late November.  On Malvern's first offensive play, Harold Harris ran 70 yards for a touchdown.  It was called back for holding.  At that point I knew it was going to be a tough night.

Root66

Back to Jonathan Adams...wasn't Logan Young, the Alabama sugar daddy booster, who was tried and found guilty in the illegal recruitment of the Memphis lineman also involved in the recruitment of Adams? Yesteryears version of Cam Newton.

Young pumped thousands of dollars into a weight room at Osceola High School.

Michael Porkleone

The Greenwood soaking the field rumors are complete and total bull.

It rained for 3 days before the game. 

Malvern is pissed because Tatum Owenby outshined Harold Harris at TB.   
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

RazorbackJAC

Arkansas Football.  It's the players running through the "A".  It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "Woo Pig Sooie!"  It's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other.  Those select few who put on the jersey are ... chosen.  They wear the colors.  They pay the price, and they succeed.  They are exceptional.  They are RAZORBACKS!

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: RazorbackJAC on February 26, 2011, 08:46:18 pm
i think you're thinking about harold james.

Harold James played at Osceola.

Harold Harris played at Malvern. 

RazorbackJAC

i'm aware of that .... i was referring to Root's post above about the recruitment that Logan Young was heavily involved in.
Arkansas Football.  It's the players running through the "A".  It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "Woo Pig Sooie!"  It's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other.  Those select few who put on the jersey are ... chosen.  They wear the colors.  They pay the price, and they succeed.  They are exceptional.  They are RAZORBACKS!

hardtimes79

The sprinkler thing is something new to me, but I did hear they had two long td's called back.  Thats the breaks of having homefield advantage.

Root66

varrichione

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on February 26, 2011, 08:14:48 pm
The Greenwood soaking the field rumors are complete and total bull.

It rained for 3 days before the game. 

Malvern is pissed because Tatum Owenby outshined Harold Harris at TB.  

No, it did rain that week.  That was one of the reasons Greenwood watering its field was so ludicrous.  It did rain.  They did use the sprinklers.  They did leave them on.  Just because one doesn't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen.  The sprinklers being left on was the subject of newspaper articles in the days following.  For what it's worth, Greenwood did "apologize."  Their apology was in print as well, as well as Malvern's coach's, (David Alpe) comments about the sprinklers and the condition of the field.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: varrichione on February 26, 2011, 10:11:33 pm
No, it did rain that week.  That was one of the reasons Greenwood watering its field was so ludicrous.  It did rain.  They did use the sprinklers.  They did leave them on.  Just because one doesn't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen.  The sprinklers being left on was the subject of newspaper articles in the days following.  For what it's worth, Greenwood did "apologize."  Their apology was in print as well, as well as Malvern's coach's, (David Alpe) comments about the sprinklers and the condition of the field.

Alpe was whining.

There were no sprinklers.

It was November.

Malvern was a loser that night and didn't like it. 

varrichione

Um, yes.  We all know it was in November.  Again, that's what made using sprinklers that much more absurd.  But whatever.  It was in print.

varrichione

Quote from: Root66 on February 26, 2011, 08:13:08 pm
Back to Jonathan Adams...wasn't Logan Young, the Alabama sugar daddy booster, who was tried and found guilty in the illegal recruitment of the Memphis lineman also involved in the recruitment of Adams? Yesteryears version of Cam Newton.

An offer was made to Osceola for $250,000 to be used toward their athletic complex for Adams' signature.  I have no proof.  I just know...and have known since the spring of 1998.  I think I have posted this before on this board before without naming Adams.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: varrichione on February 26, 2011, 10:19:09 pm
Um, yes.  We all know it was in November.  Again, that's what made using sprinklers that much more absurd.  But whatever.  It was in print.

Alpe's whining was the only thing in print.

There were no sprinklers. 

SteelShot

Quote from: Root66 on February 26, 2011, 08:13:08 pm

I dont think he was involved with Adams, but he was involved with the Osceola CB that committed to Bama a few years later whose names escapes me.
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

varrichione

Quote from: SteelShot on February 26, 2011, 11:13:16 pm
I dont think he was involved with Adams, but he was involved with the Osceola CB that committed to Bama a few years later whose names escapes me.

That was Harold James.

21chill

The mayor of Osceola at the time, made sure Adams went to A-State

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 21chill on February 27, 2011, 12:01:59 am

I seem to recall hearing his momma got herself a nice new cadillac around that time. I also recall hearing stories of how when they got Adams up to Danny Ford's camp, Danny himself would drive Adams to Wendy's or whatever drive through he wanted to eat at instead of making him eat with the other campers.

Adams was a guy who needed an untimed ACT test. He may have not been qualified to go anywhere near the SEC. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Root66

Quote from: 21chill on February 27, 2011, 12:01:59 am

As did his mother, who ended up with employment in the mayor's office or at ASU if I remember correctly.

HogBreath

Quote from: varrichione on February 26, 2011, 11:30:43 pm
That was Harold James.
Seems like there was another guy from Osceola, first name of Don I believe, that Young was after for Bama.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

razorbackfanatic

Bo Mosely was also in that era and went to UA and played mostly CB/S. He had some solid games in his career.

varrichione

Quote from: HogBreath on February 27, 2011, 11:21:17 am
Seems like there was another guy from Osceola, first name of Don I believe, that Young was after for Bama.

Don Littleton played in the backfield at the same time as Adams.  I believe he eventually signed with A-State.  Osceola's defensive backfield at one point had Jonathon Adams, Don Littleton, and Chico Fletcher.  That's three D1 players out of four.  They were really good.

GuvHog

February 27, 2011, 10:21:40 pm #40 Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:25:14 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: Poker_hog on February 26, 2011, 09:57:48 am

You aren't kidding about the home cooking! There were 2 TDs called back just before halftime and on the 3rd attempt WC failed to score so the official kept the flag in his pocket but he had his hand on his flag throughout the whole play. The same thing happened right at the end of the game and both scores would have given WC the lead. Ironically it was the same official who made everyone of those calls. He was at least 6'7" or taller and wore a beard. He was the Referee and crew chief.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hardtimes79

Quote from: GUVHOG on February 27, 2011, 10:21:40 pm
You aren't kidding about the home cooking! There were 2 TDs called back just before halftime and on the 3rd attempt WC failed to score so the official kept the flag in his pocket but he had his hand on his flag throughout the whole play. The same thing happened right at the end of the game and both scores would have given WC the lead. Ironically it was the same official who made everyone of those calls. He was at least 6'7" or taller and wore a beard. He was the Referee and crew chief.

There wasn't four td's called back in that game.  Also it always amazes me people call home cooking when the refs are not from that town.  Could it be possible that your team actually did commit a penalty on a scoring play?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

This is one of my all time fav threads on hogville.  It has dang near everything you could ask for in a sports msg board thread.  "super random from the past question about a never was, 30-something year olds reminiscing about the glory days, a he said/she said regarding a playoff game, the homefield cooking from bias refs, the debate on which never was, was the bigger stud, recruiting violations, improper benefits to recruits, more random name dropping, loosely rumored connections to a rogue booster, connections that implement other football programs"  man this thread could be it's own ESPN 30 for 30.

Love it!
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Root66

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on March 01, 2011, 11:52:59 pm
This is one of my all time fav threads on hogville.  It has dang near everything you could ask for in a sports msg board thread.  "super random from the past question about a never was, 30-something year olds reminiscing about the glory days, a he said/she said regarding a playoff game, the homefield cooking from bias refs, the debate on which never was, was the bigger stud, recruiting violations, improper benefits to recruits, more random name dropping, loosely rumored connections to a rogue booster, connections that implement other football programs"  man this thread could be it's own ESPN 30 for 30.

Love it!

Those weren't rumors about Logan Young, my friend. Absolute truth. I know nothing about that old highschool rivalry. But I do know about Logan Young, that eras answer to Bobby Lowder at Auburn and Scam Newton. And it was proven in a court of law.

secneahog

Yeah i remember when Bo Shrable a stud middle linebacker/fullback from walnut ridge get a apt in Osceola. An played for the Seminoles an went to ASU. Chris Littleton was another stud that end up going to Astate also. Antonio Warren.    There was a dlineman from Batesville High School..i cant remember his name..Rucker maybe?   STRONG guy. He would have played in 2001.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Pissed Pig

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 25, 2011, 05:50:41 pm
By the way, Jonathan Adams has a son named Korliss Marshall, who is a running back and defensive back at Osceola.

He's every bit as good as his father was.

The difference is, he is better in track, and has the grades.

Boared Stiff

I'm pretty sure Adams was Prop 48.  Arkansas couldn't take Prop 48 athletes, and A-State could.  That's the way I heard it, back in the day.

mhsbc59

I meet Adams at some camps the summer before our seinor year and again on a recuiting trip to astate he was a cool guy and we got along great.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Root66

All that stuff about Prop 48/non-qualifier is TRUE. But before we ever knew about that stuff...Jonathan was already off the market and consigned to Arkansas State. The U of A was never in his plans.