Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs going VIRTUAL REALITY???

Started by Lake City Hog, April 18, 2015, 08:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/video/5532b719e4b0f470ca5d604b

About 8 1/2 minutes in BB talks about a cutting edge technology that we are trying out. Virtual Reality filming.

Lake City Hog

Hey! I posted this hoping some "tech savvy" guy would come in and explain how and what this system will do. SO????

dhizzle

RazorbacksFan

Here's a little bit of information. The link is below.

"Virtual reality is already being used. Derek Belch, an assistant football coach for Stanford's football team, explained that Stanford uses virtual reality to review plays and give their players a break from the field. "We see it in high school, over-exertion and decreased participation," Belch said. "Using virtual reality will give the players a break from two-a-days and help them mentally prepare for situations."

"Another advantage of using virtual and augmented reality is empathy."

"On the field, everything is chaos. We have little sense of what is going on," Kluwe said. "AR and VR will help us see why the player didn't make the play as if we were in his shoes."

"At the Tech that's Changing Sports and Building Empathy panel, Derek Belch showed off a virtual reality headset that Stanford created for their football team. The headset used prerecorded footage to let players run through routes. Users who wore the virtual reality headset in the conference room had the feeling they were standing on Stanford's practice field. They could look around the field by moving their head. Belch would control the plays through his computer and could even move the user to a different position on the field. To make things even more immersive, headphones accompanied the headset and provided on-field audio."

http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/03/18/sxsw-sports-the-future-of-virtual-and-augmented-reality-in-sports/

Here is game commentary from ESPN about the technology:
http://vhil.stanford.edu/mm/2014/vr-football/

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hawgzinbowlz

...And while both AR and VR are becoming less expensive, only the richer programs can afford to use them...
_______________________________________________________________________________________
+1 to CBB for adapting to cutting edge learning tools and also to Jeff Long for agreeing to fund the technology that will help us succeed.

" GO HOGS "

hawgXi

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on April 18, 2015, 09:24:58 pm
Here's a little bit of information. The link is below.

"Virtual reality is already being used. Derek Belch, an assistant football coach for Stanford's football team, explained that Stanford uses virtual reality to review plays and give their players a break from the field. "We see it in high school, over-exertion and decreased participation," Belch said. "Using virtual reality will give the players a break from two-a-days and help them mentally prepare for situations."

so, how long will it be before we'll be watching "virtual games"?

continuing pressure to protect the players at all levels from brain injuries could bring us to this "reality" sooner than many expect.

this may not happen until after each player is represented by legal counsel to file in game lawsuits & be awarded damages against opposing players & teams for spearing or hitting above the shoulders.

rhog1

So they are plugging in practice situations through Oculus Rift. That is pretty cool. I wonder if it is advanced enough to call up specific plays from games where a player messed up and show him how to correct it from a virtual field level.

bennyl08

And Jesus wept for there were no more worlds to conquer!
-Dean

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgXi on April 19, 2015, 10:05:07 am
so, how long will it be before we'll be watching "virtual games"?

continuing pressure to protect the players at all levels from brain injuries could bring us to this "reality" sooner than many expect.

this may not happen until after each player is represented by legal counsel to file in game lawsuits & be awarded damages against opposing players & teams for spearing or hitting above the shoulders.

Pay per view $75.00... Play-per-view $150.00  Watch the game as the coach or as any player... I'd pick the QB...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2015, 12:32:24 pm

And Jesus wept for there were no more worlds to conquer!
-Dean

Not only a Community fan, but you've followed them in to their new realm.  +1 for you for supporting the greatest show in current production.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 19, 2015, 01:21:31 pm
Do you think they have ladders?

Amazingly relevant for the Hog football program as well.  Impressive.  +1 to you as well.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

ShadowTheHedgehog

Can't wait

RS WR: "I know Kung Fu I know my routes ...."

CBB: "Show me"

Porked Tongue

For those so inclined, I hope it's more productive than virtual sex.

Ugly Uncle

I can't wait for t.v. to advance to hologram.  Can you imagine watching a game like that?  A movie?  Would be pretty sweet.
Retired Radio Host

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 19, 2015, 02:54:27 pm
A movie?  Would be pretty sweet.
Subtle.

I think I'll go eat some virtual nachos.

Arazorbackguy1

Do you think Herring will download the Pink uniform for his practices?

jabohog

Quote from: rhog1 on April 19, 2015, 10:12:55 am
So they are plugging in practice situations through Oculus Rift. That is pretty cool. I wonder if it is advanced enough to call up specific plays from games where a player messed up and show him how to correct it from a virtual field level.
Yes it is possible. Their QB went from like 60% passing to 74%. Their offensive points went up and their redzone success went to 100%. Talking about Stanford here.

aar0n

Bo Mattingly has an interview with the creator/CEO and description of the process coming up on his program shortly, for those interested.

supersaint

I have done exhaustive research into the field of virtual reality. I practically have a doctrine in it. Trust me when I say that it's possible that this technology will open a portal to another dimension, much like the Higgs Bison may. I wish Everyone recognized these dangers. There are dimensions that we don't want to be opened here.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

PorkRinds

Quote from: supersaint on April 22, 2015, 03:57:49 pm
I have done exhaustive research into the field of virtual reality. I practically have a doctrine in it. Trust me when I say that it's possible that this technology will open a portal to another dimension, much like the Higgs Bison may. I wish Everyone recognized these dangers. There are dimensions that we don't want to be opened here.

Can't tell if serious.  ???

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: supersaint on April 22, 2015, 03:57:49 pm

so you got your doctrine of virtual reality from Uncle Si's Metaphysical Reality College. Say hi to Cooper. I hear he's still hanging out with Dr. Brand orbiting Gigantor and recolonizing the human race on the other side of the wormhole.

Got it.
This is my non-signature signature.

supersaint

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 04:13:29 pm
Read my sigline, then tell me if you still can't tell.

Arazorbackguy1

I'm with ya, once those VR gates open, watch out!!!

Bigdavis

Quote from: aar0n on April 21, 2015, 02:36:32 pm
Bo Mattingly has an interview with the creator/CEO and description of the process coming up on his program shortly, for those interested.

Here is the interview. It's the one with Derek Belch

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/limit,4/limitstart,4/

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: 20hog11 on April 18, 2015, 10:01:25 pm
One more article
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/stanford-cardinal-nfl-virtual-reality-qb-training-031115#?cmpid=traffic:partner:bleacherreport

Amazing...it almost isn't fair. Have to admit that my conspiracy theory gene just gave me a nudge. Though I'm sure the exploitation of this technology has been around for awhile, the possibilities for nefarious use are endless.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

supersaint

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 23, 2015, 12:18:24 pm
Amazing...it almost isn't fair. Have to admit that my conspiracy theory gene just gave me a nudge. Though I'm sure the exploitation of this technology has been around for awhile, the possibilities for nefarious use are endless.

We are opening a portal to Starkville (aka Hades).

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: supersaint on April 23, 2015, 03:07:06 pm
We are opening a portal to Starkville (aka Hades).

I'm sure it routes thru Tiger Stadium..... Just sayin
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 19, 2015, 02:54:27 pm
I can't wait for t.v. to advance to hologram.  Can you imagine watching a game like that?  A movie?  Would be pretty sweet.
ever go to a 3D IMAX?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rickm1976

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 04:13:29 pm

Me neither, especially since he called it Higgs Bison (instead of Boson).  Maybe it has something to do with virtual Buffaloes.  CU's football team should probably look into something like that.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rickm1976 on April 23, 2015, 04:41:56 pm
Me neither, especially since he called it Higgs Bison (instead of Boson).  Maybe it has something to do with virtual Buffaloes.  CU's football team should probably look into something like that.
I heard Higgs Bison are MASSive
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

supersaint

This is what comes from virtuous reality....