Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou to the Big 10?

Started by Hawghiggs, April 17, 2015, 10:54:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog in MO

Quote from: GuvHog on April 18, 2015, 11:13:04 am
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumblings about Missouri are happening because they were promised by the SEC office that their being in the SEC East would be temporary with a move to the SEC West coming soon but that move hasn't happened and they are getting impatient.
AYSM? We'll swap sides with them right now.  Let them play our conference schedule then see if they can get to ATL two years straight again .  My votes says NEVER again.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 18, 2015, 01:20:11 pm
What makes anyone think they are considering this? The OP cited a tweet from a Minnesota Golden Gopher fan with 200 followers who works for a printing company. Funny what passes for a credible source these days.

I understand, I was just saying that this is where Missouri always wanted to be from the beginning (when they initially entertained leaving the Big 12) and it would be a better scenario for them for the future rather than moving to the SEC West.
Go Hogs Go!

Senility

It's my understanding that Oklahoma and Okie State were tentatively offered consideration for SEC membership before Missouri and Texas A&M were added.  Oklahoma reportedly briefly considered the possibility before declining.  Both of the Okie teams were sore about the new (at that time) Longhorn Network, - - but decided to remain tied to Texas for financial AND traditional rivalry reasons.

regi

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 17, 2015, 10:54:44 pm
https://twitter.com/flugempire  This guy seems to think so.

Good, they are a horrible forced fit for our Conference. They are Midwesterners and really add nothing.

Bama needs to shut the heck up and stop blocking AU to the East. The Bama Tennessee Rivalry is not that important to College Football

regi

Quote from: presidenthog on April 17, 2015, 11:55:02 pm
They have been to the sec championship game 2 years in a row. The money is better here. I'm highly doubting it. I'm not sure if they fit in there any better than they do here.

They are much better cultural fit for the Big10. No question

regi

Quote from: idochog on April 18, 2015, 04:41:18 am
No way they would walk from the $$$ they are getting from the SEC

Big10 money just as good.

regi

Va Tech or NC State are more attractive options than WVU

reddogjcss

Missouri want leave the SEC. Makes no sense. Lateral move with no upside what so ever.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: regi on April 18, 2015, 07:35:44 pm
Good, they are a horrible forced fit for our Conference. They are Midwesterners and really add nothing.

Bama needs to shut the heck up and stop blocking AU to the East. The Bama Tennessee Rivalry is not that important to College Football
I agree with you so much on the Bama-Tenn rivalry. I just wish we could push both Auburn and Alabama to the east.

Hogtimes

Quote from: idochog on April 18, 2015, 04:41:18 am
No way they would walk from the $$$ they are getting from the SEC
[/quote

I thought the BIG teams got more money than the SEC teams

ChicoHog

Quote from: regi on April 18, 2015, 07:46:16 pm
Maybe but they fit in geographically in the ACC.  WVU is an outcast in Big 12.  Makes no sense for them in that conference. 

mizzouman

Made some calls. Apparently, the Big 10 wants to talk to Mizzou regarding switching conferences. However, I'm told that Mizzoiu, at this time, will not listen. With Prez Loftin and the new AD, I doubt this will ever happen.

Augustus

A dated article, so the $$$'s may have changed, but in the 2017-18 season, "most" Big 10 are expected to pull in approximately $44.5 Million/year?

I think during the 1st season of the SEC Network, SEC schools are pulling approx $20 Million/year?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24540002/big-ten-schools-projected-to-get-45-million-with-new-tv-deal

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Senility on April 18, 2015, 06:58:54 pm
It's my understanding that Oklahoma and Okie State were tentatively offered consideration for SEC membership before Missouri and Texas A&M were added.  Oklahoma reportedly briefly considered the possibility before declining.  Both of the Okie teams were sore about the new (at that time) Longhorn Network, - - but decided to remain tied to Texas for financial AND traditional rivalry reasons.

Unfortunately, unless things change in the future, Oklahoma won't leave without Oklahoma State. I believe that the SEC wanted Texas A&M for certain, which offered them the opportunity to make greater inroads into Texas. Mission accomplished. The SEC really doesn't need a bigger impact in Texas by adding another Texas school.

If Missouri did leave for the Big Ten reducing our numbers to 13, there really only needs to be one addition and hopefully this time, it would be made in the geographic East. But who would that be? It's a pretty safe bet that it won't be any of the ACC schools, though I wouldn't mind seeing the addition of Va Tech, UNC or Miami, or maybe even UCF.

But if the SEC did choose that time to expand to 16 teams, it could be the time to bring Oklahoma and Oklahoma State on board in the West, which might call for moving Auburn and Alabama to the East. Would I trade West Division games with those two for games with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State each year? Yup. But what would the SEC gain by doing so?

Well, the alignment of divisions would be more regionally correct than they have been since the addition of Missouri. There's that. From a money standpoint (t.v. money) the addition of VT or UNC would expand our t.v. footprint up the eastern seaboard. Oklahoma might not bring much of an increase in regional t.v.'s, but they do bring (or did, haven't seen the latest Nielsen numbers) big numbers in terms of national viewership when they play. Oklahoma State? Well, if you want Oklahoma, you have to take Okla State and the good news is that their t.v. ratings are no worse than Missouri's. Other than that and the renewal of a nice home and away series that once existed for 30 years or so, that's about all you can say for that.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

If Missouri stays put in the SEC and they go after OU and Okla State, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the SEC turns out this way:

WESTERN DIVISION                                           EASTERN DIVISION

Arkansas                                                          Alabama
LSU                                                                  Auburn
Missouri                                                            Florida
Ole Miss                                                           Georgia
Miss State                                                         Kentucky
Texas A&M                                                       South Carolina
Oklahoma                                                        Tennessee
Oklahoma State                                                Vanderbilt
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on April 18, 2015, 03:21:24 pm
Slive told WVU 'NO' when they wanted to join.  He said he didn't like their schools academics or alumni.  Just saying, not agreeing.

Since the SEC isn't really just a southern conference anymore, I'd like to add WVU and Kansas.  It would give the west a breather game in football and increases DRAMATICALLY the state of basketball in the conference.

Kentucky, Arkansas, Kansas, right now Florida, WVU, sometimes LSU, Mizz, MSU, Vandy, maybe USCe.

The SEC would be getting 8-9 NCAA bids a season.

I just don't think the SEC will ever be able to pull an ACC school out of North Carolina or Virginia.

The pies or $$ out there for football and basketball might as well be owned by the SEC.

I never saw ANYTHING where Slive said that about WV. Do you have any proof he said those things about WV. I believe he and others didn't think they were a large enough TV market or draw. When will people learn that basketball is NOT a big part of the equation. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

April 19, 2015, 08:55:15 am #66 Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:56:11 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: regi on April 18, 2015, 07:35:44 pm

Not all of MO is midwestern in nature and culture. Just like not all of Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Texas and Louisianna is old south.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rtr

Quote from: mizzouman on April 18, 2015, 10:48:32 pm
Made some calls. Apparently, the Big 10 wants to talk to Mizzou regarding switching conferences. However, I'm told that Mizzoiu, at this time, will not listen. With Prez Loftin and the new AD, I doubt this will ever happen.
Mizzouman, I don't think you are a yankee like some on here. Missouri is a border state just like Kentucky.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Tusks

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 19, 2015, 08:46:59 am
I never saw ANYTHING where Slive said that about WV. Do you have any proof he said those things about WV. I believe he and others didn't think they were a large enough TV market or draw. When will people learn that basketball is NOT a big part of the equation. 

Google is your friend.  They wanted to join.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

rtr

The Kansas City Star ran a poll, several years ago, that asked whether Missouri was more similar to Arkansas or Iowa:  Arkansas won 60% to 40%.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Tusks

Quote from: regi on April 18, 2015, 07:46:16 pm

you will never get a school out of NC or VA to join the SEC. NEVER.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Torqued pork

Mizzou officials were said to be interested in the Big Ten because of its academic reputation before they joined the SEC. Maybe that is still the case.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on April 19, 2015, 11:43:18 am

I DO belief they wanted in the SEC. However them WANTING in and Slive saying what you said he said is NOT the same thing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on April 19, 2015, 11:58:07 am

Not so fast Grasshopper..................IF there is one thing that every adult should know is NEVER say never.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

GuvHog

Quote from: tusked on April 19, 2015, 11:43:18 am

Correct, but Slive didn't tell WV No, he told them "not now" meaning be patient your time will come. They however, decided against being patient and jumped to the Big 12.

Inhogswetrust

GoHogs1091

If Missouri leaves, then the most logical choice to replace them is Clemson.

South Carolina would probably object to Clemson being added to the SEC, but all Commissioner Sankey would have to do is tell South Carolina that there are already examples of 2 SEC schools in the same state, Alabama/Auburn, Ole Miss/Mississippi State, and Tennessee/Vanderbilt, and those examples work.

The rest of the SEC East would probably cringe at the idea of having to face yearly that current Clemson Assistant Coaching Staff, which has coached in a total of 7 National Championship games, and which also has 2 former NFL Assistant Coaches, Marion Hobby and Mike Reed.

LRRandy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 19, 2015, 02:37:49 pm

South Carolina would probably object to Clemson being added to the SEC, but all Commissioner Sankey would have to do is tell South Carolina that there are already examples of 2 SEC schools in the same state, Alabama/Auburn, Ole Miss/Mississippi State, and Tennessee/Vanderbilt, and those examples work.

The rest of the SEC East would probably cringe at the idea of having to face yearly that current Clemson Assistant Coaching Staff, which has coached in a total of 7 National Championship games, and which also has 2 former NFL Assistant Coaches, Marion Hobby and Mike Reed.
plus Venables.
This is fun, isn't it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LRRandy on April 19, 2015, 02:51:34 pm
plus Venables.

He is 4 of the total of 7 National Championship games coached in by Clemson Assistant Coaches.  The other 3 NC games coached in are;

Dan Brooks 1 NC game   Was John Chavis' DL Coach at Tennessee
Danny Pearman  2  NC games   Coached with Gene Stallings at Alabama and Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm absolutely shocked that you would mention Clemson (Brent Venables). ;) But then, why not UCA? Or the Kansas City Chiefs, where Gary Gibbs is a coach?
Go Hogs Go!

verticalhog

The aforementioned academic reasons are why Mizzou still craves to be a B1G member.  They could not believe that the B1G took Nebraska over them since they feel Nebraska is not as strong academically as them (although they are tied in the U.S. News rankings).  All B1G schools other than Nebraska are stronger academically than Mizzou while there are only 5 SEC schools that have higher rankings (Vandy, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M and Alabama).  They want to be part of what they consider a more "elite" club!  I say let them go!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Senility on April 18, 2015, 06:58:54 pm

Believe this is incorrect.  The SEC really wanted Oklahoma & Texas.  State politics kept Oklahoma from coming to the SEC..... Oklahoma cannot move without Okla. St....which the SEC evidently didn't want at that time.  Texas wanted to stay put & play the Big Dog in the conference.......so it was Texas A&M & Missouri, that got the option.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

As I understand it, Florida, USC and Georgia have banded together on this issue.  The reason being, Florida doesn't want FSU added and UGA doesn't want GA Tech added. So I think it would be very unlikely that Clemson would be added over the objection of Florida, Georgia and USC.

TeufelHog

Georgia Tech, FSU, or Miami if any of them have the guts to leave their weaker conference/easier road to the playoffs.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Karma on April 19, 2015, 03:41:33 pm
As I understand it, Florida, USC and Georgia have banded together on this issue.  The reason being, Florida doesn't want FSU added and UGA doesn't want GA Tech added. So I think it would be very unlikely that Clemson would be added over the objection of Florida, Georgia and USC.

The SEC would only need to add 1 to replace Missouri (if Missouri leaves).  I don't think the SEC would ever want to add Georgia Tech.

I can see why Florida doesn't want Florida State added.  Adding Florida State would have some definite negative drawbacks for Florida.  Regarding the Clemson/South Carolina aspect, for the most part, Clemson already recruits better in football than South Carolina, so it is not like that Clemson would all-of-the-sudden get a football recruiting advantage over South Carolina if Clemson joined the SEC. 

Basically, the only reason why I can think of that South Carolina doesn't want Clemson to join the SEC is a loss of perceived football prestige for South Carolina.  The problem with that though is that South Carolina doesn't have much football prestige to begin with.

mizzouman

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 19, 2015, 11:58:25 am
Mizzou officials were said to be interested in the Big Ten because of its academic reputation before they joined the SEC. Maybe that is still the case.
At the time, this was true.

verticalhog

What would seem to make sense is to ship Mizzou off to the B1G while adding Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State.  This won't happen, of course, due to objections from South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

trphog

Greg's real name is Gaylord. Gaylord Flaugar is NOT in the circle of trust.

hog911

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 18, 2015, 07:46:33 am
Mizzou just isn't a Natural Fit for the SEC. Arkansas is pushing the envelope a bit geographically.

Are you kidding? Kentucky is completely farther north and  and the top section of Tennessee lies farther north.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: tusked on April 19, 2015, 11:58:07 am

I live in the northern Virginia area and a large numbers of kids go to V T... when I ask them and the other alumni about joining the SEC, the responses are usually very receptive... I would not be surprised at all if VT bolted for the SEC.... Maryland went to the B!G and they had a lot of history in the ACC...

MuskogeeHogFan

April 20, 2015, 07:43:38 am #91 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:08:16 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: hog911 on April 20, 2015, 07:11:28 am
Are you kidding? Kentucky is completely farther north and  and the top section of Tennessee lies farther north.

Cincinnati, Ohio-39.1 degrees north latitude
Columbia, Missouri-38.6 degrees north latitude
Lexington, Kentucky-37.6 degrees north latitude
Clarksville, Tennessee-36.5 degrees north latitude

That said, Arlington, VA is considered to be a part of "the south".
Arlington, Virginia-38.5 degrees north latitude

Not much difference between Columbia, MO and Arlington, VA.

Just sayin.
Go Hogs Go!

hawg66

Alot of this reminds me of the decade of talk that Arkansas should have joined the Big 12, and that the Hogs weren't a fit for the SEC.  I doubt Mizzou is going anywhere.  AS for ACC schools, if the SEC expands, I could see NC State jumping to the SEC.   Lots of little brother issues with UNC, similar to what drove A&M to the SEC.

I think it's funny when the arrogant B1G cites academics as reasons for denying expansion to certain schools, yet jumped at Nebraska.  I'm sure that gets in Mizzou fans crawl.

Realistically, I think expansion and realignment are pretty much over for at least the near future.  Everyone's going to give it a few years to see how the play-offs shake out, whether they expand, etc.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawg66 on April 20, 2015, 10:31:38 am
Alot of this reminds me of the decade of talk that Arkansas should have joined the Big 12, and that the Hogs weren't a fit for the SEC.  I doubt Mizzou is going anywhere.  AS for ACC schools, if the SEC expands, I could see NC State jumping to the SEC.   Lots of little brother issues with UNC, similar to what drove A&M to the SEC.

I think it's funny when the arrogant B1G cites academics as reasons for denying expansion to certain schools, yet jumped at Nebraska.  I'm sure that gets in Mizzou fans crawl.

Realistically, I think expansion and realignment are pretty much over for at least the near future.  Everyone's going to give it a few years to see how the play-offs shake out, whether they expand, etc.

As it is now, I agree. If however, the Big 10 expands to 16 schools, I look for the SEC to move quickly to add 2 more schools.

Inhogswetrust

For expansion of the footprint any good sized school in NC or VA makes more sense than Clemson.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: verticalhog on April 19, 2015, 03:13:53 pm
The aforementioned academic reasons are why Mizzou still craves to be a B1G member.  They could not believe that the B1G took Nebraska over them since they feel Nebraska is not as strong academically as them (although they are tied in the U.S. News rankings).  All B1G schools other than Nebraska are stronger academically than Mizzou while there are only 5 SEC schools that have higher rankings (Vandy, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M and Alabama).  They want to be part of what they consider a more "elite" club!  I say let them go!

Didn't Nebraska lose their AAU membership? Mizzou is an AAU member and probably considered better academically because of that now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 20, 2015, 07:29:17 am
I live in the northern Virginia area and a large numbers of kids go to V T... when I ask them and the other alumni about joining the SEC, the responses are usually very receptive... I would not be surprised at all if VT bolted for the SEC.... Maryland went to the B!G and they had a lot of history in the ACC...

I've lived and worked in Richmond and Roanoke before. You are correct. VT would be an excellent choice. They are the land grant college in the state and have a larger following than all the other colleges there. They also have a large following in Maryland and North Carolina among other states. As a plus it is a good academic school as well.

hawg66

If I remember right, VTech went to their state legislators to force UVa to help them into the ACC.  Might leave a bad taste in the lawmakers mouths if the Hokies subsequently bolted for another conference.  One thing schools never want to do is piss off the people who control their funding.

DeltaBoy

Keep the Zoo it has upset the balance in the EAST and I love playing them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

I could care less where they go.  But, I doubt they leave a league that'$ been good to them, especially since they've had a little success...

When the East gets back to where it should be that success will diminish somewhat.

On the other hand, being on the fringe of the SEC helps their recruiting in their state and on their northern, eastern, western fringes.