Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou to the Big 10?

Started by Hawghiggs, April 17, 2015, 10:54:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawghiggs

Tusks

Well the buyout for a team to leave the SEC is $0.

So don't let the door hit ya where the big guy split ya.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

rljjr

presidenthog

They have been to the sec championship game 2 years in a row. The money is better here. I'm highly doubting it. I'm not sure if they fit in there any better than they do here.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ZERO

Yeah, this isn't gonna happen.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

idochog

No way they would walk from the $$$ they are getting from the SEC
I love Jesus!

HawginTexas

I could see the SEC helping push them to the Big 10 and then trying to reel in OK, OSUlite, and Texas to get to 16....that would be a bloody west. MIZZOu  has been more competitive than I thought theyd be, but still doesn't fit the the SEC.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HawginTexas on April 18, 2015, 06:48:22 am
I could see the SEC helping push them to the Big 10 and then trying to reel in OK, OSUlite, and Texas to get to 16....that would be a bloody west. MIZZOu  has been more competitive than I thought theyd be, but still doesn't fit the the SEC.

It's market share the SEC wants.  They already have the state of Texass.  They don't need another school from the state.

lefty08

I don't think the money is too different from the big 10 to the sec
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

JackJohnson

Would be much easier west bc that would push Bama and AU to east

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hobhog

Good. It would help our recruiting situation, being the most northwestern SEC school in the country....

HogWall Jackson

Mizzou just isn't a Natural Fit for the SEC. Arkansas is pushing the envelope a bit geographically.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogarusa

there is very little difference in Big 10/SEC money.  They are both getting paid stupid amounts of cash.

No idea who this twitter fella is.  He has 250 followers
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hoghiker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 18, 2015, 07:47:46 am
Who is Greg Flugaur? Why would he know anything?
He's a Flugaur. All you need to know.

rhames

I'm sure the dude with 200 followers and considers himself the God of smack talk would know

When will people on here that anyone can say anything on Twitter
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Torqued pork

I guess not every Mizzou fan is obsessed with the Battle Line Rivalry.

ChicoHog

Let them go.  Get WVU which fits into the SEC more culturally and a natural fit in the east also.  Of course good reasons like that don;t matter.  All the suits care about is TV dollars so that will never happen.  Even though WVU has a more rabid fan base than Mizzou in football and basketball yet it is a much smaller TV market.  What they are not considering is it opens up the DC metro area as many WVU alumni/fans settle in that area along with Louisville and Pittsburgh.  It's ironic that if we had not joined the SEC back in the day we would probably not be invited now because of our small TV market.  Really a shame that those items dictate show much.  Really a shame that is more important than tradition, athletic success and fan base.

TrueBlue

I just posted on Twitter my reasons that I believe Arkansas is considering a move to the Pac12.

Must be true, huh? BTW - I have 900+ followers.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 18, 2015, 09:23:31 am
Let them go.  Get WVU which fits into the SEC more culturally and a natural fit in the east also.  Of course good reasons like that don;t matter.  All the suits care about is TV dollars so that will never happen.  Even though WVU has a more rabid fan base than Mizzou in football and basketball yet it is a much smaller TV market.  What they are not considering is it opens up the DC metro area as many WVU alumni/fans settle in that area along with Louisville and Pittsburgh.  It's ironic that if we had not joined the SEC back in the day we would probably not be invited now because of our small TV market.  Really a shame that those items dictate show much.  Really a shame that is more important than tradition, athletic success and fan base.

This is a good idea. I'd been focused on North Carolina, but WVU would be an awesome fit. They're unnatural in the little 12 anyway.

As for the money, sometimes you have to protect the product. That can be as important as growing it. Like you said, WVU brings fan interest in ways I don't feel Mizzou can match.

Theolesnort

Quote from: lefty08 on April 18, 2015, 07:08:41 am
I don't think the money is too different from the big 10 to the sec
Not now but in about 3 or 4 years you will be stunned by the difference. The Big 10 is a wasteland except for Ohio St and Wiskey. Michigan should come back under Harbaugh though.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

LRRandy

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 18, 2015, 10:02:13 am
Not now but in about 3 or 4 years you will be stunned by the difference. The Big 10 is a wasteland except for Ohio St and Wiskey. Michigan should come back under Harbaugh though.
not so sure. The sec network will do for the sec what the Big Ten network has done for the B1G as far as $ payouts. However,  with the steady erosion of sec football dominance the interest will diminish some. The B1G footprint that includes NY metro, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago as well as other major Midwest cities means a lot of eyeballs for advertisers. The payout disparity may grow farther apart instead of closer.

BTW Michigan State has been a consistent top 10 team in the B1G climb back to respectability.
This is fun, isn't it.

GuvHog

IMHO getting Okla State And Oklahoma to bolt for the SEC is doable but the chances of the Longhorns joining the SEC are extremely slim and none. If Oklahoma and Okla were to bolt for the SEC, I believe the Horns would bolt to the PAC 12 and the JayHawks would likely join them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Torqued pork

Quote from: LRRandy on April 18, 2015, 10:24:19 am
not so sure. The sec network will do for the sec what the Big Ten network has done for the B1G as far as $ payouts. However,  with the steady erosion of sec football dominance the interest will diminish some. The B1G footprint that includes NY metro, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago as well as other major Midwest cities means a lot of eyeballs for advertisers. The payout disparity may grow farther apart instead of closer.

BTW Michigan State has been a consistent top 10 team in the B1G climb back to respectability.
The streak of SEC football national championships ending hardly translates into a "steady erosion".

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 18, 2015, 08:03:50 am
there is very little difference in Big 10/SEC money.  They are both getting paid stupid amounts of cash.

No idea who this twitter fella is.  He has 250 followers

This is true.  The difference is that Mizzou and A&M have received far more positive national attention since joining the SEC than Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers have joining the B1G.

The underlying assumption that the B1G needs to expand to 16 is flawed and the decision to favor NU tradition over Missouri TV markets was a mistake. 

The B1G and the ACC can trade teams endlessly and it won't benefit either league.  The only meaningful targets left on the board are Texas and OU and the SEC is going to do a Notre Dame like scheduling agreement with the B12 to effectively pull those two into the SEC orbit.

LRRandy

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 18, 2015, 10:41:59 am
The streak of SEC football national championships ending hardly translates into a "steady erosion".
well. You tell me. Two years ago the top sec teams lost both BCS bowls they played in including the national championship game. This past season the king of the sec got bounced out of the playoff  ( thus eliminating the sec from the championship game ) while the other top ranked sec west teams lost all the big bowl games. The best teams in the sec have been losing bowl games instead of winning them for two years now. The upcoming season has fewer sec teams in top 10 preseason polls than in the years that championships were being won. It is in fact a steady erosion of dominance.
This is fun, isn't it.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: LRRandy on April 18, 2015, 11:04:05 am
well. You tell me. Two years ago the top sec teams lost both BCS bowls they played in including the national championship game. This past season the king of the sec got bounced out of the playoff  ( thus eliminating the sec from the championship game ) while the other top ranked sec west teams lost all the big bowl games. The best teams in the sec have been losing bowl games instead of winning them for two years now. The upcoming season has fewer sec teams in top 10 preseason polls than in the years that championships were being won. It is in fact a steady erosion of dominance.

GuvHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on April 18, 2015, 10:43:39 am
This is true.  The difference is that Mizzou and A&M have received far more positive national attention since joining the SEC than Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers have joining the B1G.

The underlying assumption that the B1G needs to expand to 16 is flawed and the decision to favor NU tradition over Missouri TV markets was a mistake. 

The B1G and the ACC can trade teams endlessly and it won't benefit either league.  The only meaningful targets left on the board are Texas and OU and the SEC is going to do a Notre Dame like scheduling agreement with the B12 to effectively pull those two into the SEC orbit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumblings about Missouri are happening because they were promised by the SEC office that their being in the SEC East would be temporary with a move to the SEC West coming soon but that move hasn't happened and they are getting impatient.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogsolo

tusksincolorado

Typical Midwestern arrogance...Win ONE Championship and you pronounce that the BIG SHAT is the most dominant Conference in the NCAA.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 18, 2015, 07:47:46 am
Who is Greg Flugaur? Why would he know anything?

He's a gopher so take that for what it's worth.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tusksincolorado

Quote from: GuvHog on April 18, 2015, 11:13:04 am
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumblings about Missouri are happening because they were promised by the SEC office that their being in the SEC East would be temporary with a move to the SEC West coming soon but that move hasn't happened and they are getting impatient.

Let them go...StL is more a fit for the Rust Belt than the SEC.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

(notOM)Rebel123

Someone needs to tweet Flugaur and inform him of this thread. It may just develop into a cult following on Hogville, similar to Robert Shields.  ;)

Theolesnort

April 18, 2015, 11:29:53 am #36 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:43:21 am by Theolesnort
Quote from: LRRandy on April 18, 2015, 10:24:19 am

Like Saban Michigan St's coach is getting a little long in the tooth age wise and health wise. But now you are right I should have included them. But you are taking a one year aberration and making something out of nothing. We will revisit this in about 4 years and see where it stands, OK? Besides Randy in Big Ten country it is just football and the pro game is dominate. Here in SEC country the SEC is a religion (actually to much fever) sad but true. SEC projections are way way behind what is actually happening. The SEC Network is almost even with the ESPN flagship station in as far a the number of homes it is in and it isn't a year old yet. The start up cost and not making money the first year or two was just a myth, they will make money the first year and it will accelerate from here on.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Torqued pork

Florida isn't going stay down. Tennessee is improving and Arkansas is trending up. Add the usual suspects and the SEC is still deeper than any other conference.

LRRandy

Quote from: tusksincolorado on April 18, 2015, 11:18:53 am
Typical Midwestern arrogance...Win ONE Championship and you pronounce that the BIG SHAT is the most dominant Conference in the NCAA.
i don't think that's what I said. You got your panties in a wad so you must feel it too. I belive the sec is still the best football conference in the nation. The dominance however is in the rear view mirror.
This is fun, isn't it.

Theolesnort

Quote from: LRRandy on April 18, 2015, 11:40:12 am
i don't think that's what I said. You got your panties in a wad so you must feel it too. I belive the sec is still the best football conference in the nation. The dominance however is in the rear view mirror.
The cannibalism in the SEC cuts two ways. Teams get beat up and degrade as the season progresses and then for teams that survive without two many injuries iron sharpens iron. A team or two that negotiates that gauntlet will be tried and tested. It doesn't mean that they will be unbeatable in the post season, it just means you better bring your lunch to beat then. Congrats to Ohio St they brought their lunch and deserved their win but circumstances change from year to year. What keeps the SEC so strong is the recruiting base they have and it is just getting stronger as the population swings to the South. It is unreal the amount of money southern states spend on athletics, especially football. It may not be right fiscally but it is what it is, just a part of the religion I referred to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 18, 2015, 11:13:04 am

If Missouri desires a move to the SEC West, they have lost their minds. Regionally speaking that would be a correct move, but they have benefitted greatly from their SEC East scheduling since joining the SEC. They wouldn't have been to the SECCG two years in a row had then been a member of the West.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Can't believe there is even discussion on this.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

geauxhawgs

If the two major cities in MO were Springfield and Cape Girardeau they'd fit the culture and geography of the SEC a whole lot better. Collectively speaking, the state of Missouri  will forever be outsiders looking in when it comes to travel regardless of what conference they're in because of the states unique geography and the amount of DRASTIC cultural shifts seen throughout the state. It's the most confused state in America.... Part of it is southern as southern gets, some of it is Iowa Lite, STL is about as arrogant of a Rust Belt city you will find, and KC isn't comparable to any other decent sized city in the country.  I'd say the majority of Missouri fans by a pretty long shot consists mostly of those arrogant yuppies from STL and KC  :puke: Let em roll....WPS! LSU BLEAUXS!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on April 18, 2015, 12:45:01 pm

Why? After what they perceive (and many may perceive) as considerable success in 2 of their first 3 years in the toughest conference in the country in the SEC, many of the Missouri faithful probably feel that they can challenge Ohio State every year for the Big Ten title. I can see where they might want to make that move, especially if they are expecting a transfer to the SEC West in the not too distant future, which will change their future win % dramatically.
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

April 18, 2015, 01:20:11 pm #44 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:54:25 pm by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2015, 01:06:55 pm
Why? After what they perceive (and many may perceive) as considerable success in 2 of their first 3 years in the toughest conference in the country in the SEC, many of the Missouri faithful probably feel that they can challenge Ohio State every year for the Big Ten title. I can see where they might want to make that move, especially if they are expecting a transfer to the SEC West in the not too distant future, which will change their future win % dramatically.
What makes anyone think they are considering this? The OP cited a tweet from a Minnesota Golden Gopher fan with 200 followers who works for a printing company. Funny what passes for a credible source these days.

Theolesnort

Quote from: rhames on April 18, 2015, 12:45:01 pm

What discussion? Just shooting the breeze a little.

redeye

LOL

The B1G has looked down it's nose and refused admittance to Missouri time and again, but as soon as Mizzou joins the SEC they suddenly covet them?  If true, it wouldn't surprise me any.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2015, 01:06:55 pm

OSU will not always dominate the Big10.  Michigan, Wisky and sometimes even Nebraska can challenge them. Same as Florida and Georgia not always being down.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 18, 2015, 01:20:11 pm
What makes anyone think they are considering this? The OP cited a tweet from a Minnesota Golden Gopher fan with 200 followers who works for a printing company. Funny what passes for a credible source these days.

And he was just passing that info along. He wasn't the instigator.

Tusks

Slive told WVU 'NO' when they wanted to join.  He said he didn't like their schools academics or alumni.  Just saying, not agreeing.

Since the SEC isn't really just a southern conference anymore, I'd like to add WVU and Kansas.  It would give the west a breather game in football and increases DRAMATICALLY the state of basketball in the conference.

Kentucky, Arkansas, Kansas, right now Florida, WVU, sometimes LSU, Mizz, MSU, Vandy, maybe USCe.

The SEC would be getting 8-9 NCAA bids a season.

I just don't think the SEC will ever be able to pull an ACC school out of North Carolina or Virginia.

The pies or $$ out there for football and basketball might as well be owned by the SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit