Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exploring Trey Flowers as an OLB in a 3-4

Started by Rocky Mountain Living, April 17, 2015, 05:09:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky Mountain Living

Will Flowers be drafted as an OLB that drops back into coverage?

Flowers doesn't care...He says he can add or drop weight depending on what scheme drafts him.

Interview from the Combine:
www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Prospect-Primer-DE-Trey-Flowers-Arkansas/813830be-f8f5-49b2-b982-d587106eb2fe

Flowers would look good in green and gold rushing the opposite of Claymaker in Caper's Defense

navyhog24

I think the best for him would be to hopefully stay as a DE. He doesn't have the speed to be able to keep up with a TE or WR. He might be ok if it's a zone coverage, but anything else I think would hurt him. His strengths are his power, hands, and run containment on the edge.

Smalltownhog95

I'd jump for joy if Green Bay drafted him. GoPackGo!
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

RazorChuck

I believe That Trey would be a great fit for the legion of boom!
Go Hawks!

Rocky Mountain Living

April 18, 2015, 12:52:51 pm #4 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:03:31 pm by Rocky Mountain Living
Quote from: navyhog24 on April 17, 2015, 05:45:59 pm
I think the best for him would be to hopefully stay as a DE. He doesn't have the speed to be able to keep up with a TE or WR. He might be ok if it's a zone coverage, but anything else I think would hurt him. His strengths are his power, hands, and run containment on the edge.

You are right about his speed

Arkansas edge player Trey Flowers ran a mid-4.8s 40-yard dash at his pro day workout.

That's roughly a tenth of a second better than the 4.93 time he posted at the Combine. On Thursday, Flowers worked out as both a defensive end and linebacker. "The 6-foot-2 266-pounder is a good athlete for his compact frame but showed some stiffness when flipping his hips in linebacker drills and shows only normal (rather than explosive) acceleration," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang. "He's a savvy, physical pass rusher who could play a Pernell McPhee-like role in a 3-4 scheme or operate as a traditional defensive end in a 4-3 alignment." Flowers was a disruptive college end who showed well against future NFL prospects, including Texas A&M's Germain Ifedi.

Rang doesn't believe Flowers can flips his hips in coverage....I think he can learn to flip his hips with time from watching him. 

Flowers would play Julius Peppers spot in Capers Zone Fire Defense. 

Flowers would be perfect as the Bull Rush OLB where he has contain responsibilities on 1st and 2nd down.

Flowers does have a 7' 1/4" wingspan on his 6' 2 1/4" frame.  That will help with zone coverage.

Because of his speed, I could see Ted drafting Flowers at the end of the 3rd or 4th Round.