Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nothing bad to say...

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, April 15, 2015, 10:59:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Since I moved to Mississippi in 2001 I have heard nothing but snickers and jokes about Arkansas' ability to field a consistent top 3 team in the SEC West. There were the occasional good years that people were a little respecting of what we might do in that given year, and until Petrino, no one worried that we may put two or more productive years together, and no one thought we would compete with Bama or LSU consistently.

The opinions have definitely changed and now many people stop me because of my Razorback gear and ask me about CBB. The single most common subject broached regarding his coaching is his disciplinary practices. The fans here are evenly split between UM, MSU and Bama, and without exception when football is brought up they talk about CBB and the quality of young men we are recruiting. IF coach wants to come into NE MS and recruit he will find it surprisingly very welcoming to him. This year no one has had one negative word for our program and shockingly most want to see us do well except against their team...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lumphog

dffhogs

I could not get past the "Since I moved to Mississippi" part.

gawntrail

I think we could walk in to quite a few parts of SoCal and recruit just fine.  CBB has built a reputation that makes these young men accountable in the classroom, on the field, and in their personal lives.  Many single moms in some pretty rough areas that have talented sons and are looking for the best way for them to see 30 years old let alone 22 years old would be very receptive to CBBs message about being uncommon. 

Obviously, there are some ancillary issues to deal with for some recruits and we would probably be better off passing on them, but, the SoCal talent pool rivals Texas and Florida. 

Even though the distance is troubling under normal circumstances for families to overcome, believe me, many of the folks I know of in very blighted areas in SoCal would welcome the change of zipcode for their son in order for him to develop into the young man 'mom' has always envisioned and prayed about.  No doubt in my mind that CBB's message, sincerity, and most of all, his body of work would speak volumes.

Many kids in SoCal are going to UW, WSU, UO (OR), OSU (OR), Boise St, Reno-NV, Fresno State, UA (AZ), ASU (AZ), UC, CSU, etc.... and for many folks living in these challenged areas, Disneyland, the beach, SeaWorld, and world class museums are only 25-50 miles from them, but, they might as well be on another planet.  LA to OU (OR) is roughly 850 miles.  What's another 700 miles when you consider the situation many of these mothers are trying to get their sons away from....?

I coached and taught kids from tough neighborhoods in Long Beach, Wilmington (Compton), and South Central, that had moved to the Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside) to try and get away, but so much of SoCal is overrun with problems, trouble is still next door and/or around the corner for whoever is looking for it. 

Then there are the affluent communities that develop great talent and character kids that we could tap because USC and UCLA can only get 50 between the two of them.  These parents would totally be on board with trusting their Johnny with CBB in Fayetteville. 

I'm sure we already try and have a presence, but, it would be nice to work SoCal as hard as we do Texas and Florida.  I think it would produce quite a few uncommon kids who are not the typical low-hanging fruit. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: gawntrail on April 15, 2015, 11:58:43 am
I think we could walk in to quite a few parts of SoCal and recruit just fine.  CBB has built a reputation that makes these young men accountable in the classroom, on the field, and in their personal lives.  Many single moms in some pretty rough areas that have talented sons and are looking for the best way for them to see 30 years old let alone 22 years old would be very receptive to CBBs message about being uncommon. 

Obviously, there are some ancillary issues to deal with for some recruits and we would probably be better off passing on them, but, the SoCal talent pool rivals Texas and Florida. 

Even though the distance is troubling under normal circumstances for families to overcome, believe me, many of the folks I know of in very blighted areas in SoCal would welcome the change of zipcode for their son in order for him to develop into the young man 'mom' has always envisioned and prayed about.  No doubt in my mind that CBB's message, sincerity, and most of all, his body of work would speak volumes.

Many kids in SoCal are going to UW, WSU, UO (OR), OSU (OR), Boise St, Reno-NV, Fresno State, UA (AZ), ASU (AZ), UC, CSU, etc.... and for many folks living in these challenged areas, Disneyland, the beach, SeaWorld, and world class museums are only 25-50 miles from them, but, they might as well be on another planet.  LA to OU (OR) is roughly 850 miles.  What's another 700 miles when you consider the situation many of these mothers are trying to get their sons away from....?

I coached and taught kids from tough neighborhoods in Long Beach, Wilmington (Compton), and South Central, that had moved to the Inland Empire (San Bernardino/Riverside) to try and get away, but so much of SoCal is overrun with problems, trouble is still next door and/or around the corner for whoever is looking for it. 

Then there are the affluent communities that develop great talent and character kids that we could tap because USC and UCLA can only get 50 between the two of them.  These parents would totally be on board with trusting their Johnny with CBB in Fayetteville. 

I'm sure we already try and have a presence, but, it would be nice to work SoCal as hard as we do Texas and Florida.  I think it would produce quite a few uncommon kids who are not the typical low-hanging fruit.
Sorry but did I miss something? And while I totally agree with CBB's approach to coaching and seeing his players behave AND study, when did the state of Mississippi and SoCal enter into the same conversation? Inquiring minds really want to know.

gawntrail

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 15, 2015, 12:10:52 pm
Sorry but did I miss something? And while I totally agree with CBB's approach to coaching and seeing his players behave AND study, when did the state of Mississippi and SoCal enter into the same conversation? Inquiring minds really want to know.

From the OP...

IF coach wants to come into NE MS and recruit he will find it surprisingly very welcoming to him.

I read that and thought it related.  Maybe in a different way, but, still related.  I also thought I explained how it related in my post.  Maybe leaving the 'too' off of my first sentence garbled the message.  Simply pointing out that CBBs approach may not only have opened traditionally hostile recruiting areas to us, but, traditionally out of reach/less productive recruiting areas as well.

Didn't mean to have an opinion that missed your wheelhouse.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: gawntrail on April 15, 2015, 12:25:52 pm
From the OP...

IF coach wants to come into NE MS and recruit he will find it surprisingly very welcoming to him.

I read that and thought it related.  Maybe in a different way, but, still related.  I also thought I explained how it related in my post.  Maybe leaving the 'too' off of my first sentence garbled the message.  Simply pointing out that CBBs approach may not only have opened traditionally hostile recruiting areas to us, but, traditionally out of reach/less productive recruiting areas as well.

Didn't mean to have an opinion that missed your wheelhouse.
Wasn't trying to cause any offense. As I said I just wondered...as I also mentioned I totally and completely agree CBB's approach. In fact, I think with that we could likely go ANYWHERE in the country and appeal to parents who want to ensure their kids not only have a shot at a great education but also will be held accountable for actions. I know that if it were me I'd have NO qualms at all about having my son play for this staff.

gawntrail

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 15, 2015, 12:56:57 pm
Wasn't trying to cause any offense. As I said I just wondered...as I also mentioned I totally and completely agree CBB's approach. In fact, I think with that we could likely go ANYWHERE in the country and appeal to parents who want to ensure their kids not only have a shot at a great education but also will be held accountable for actions. I know that if it were me I'd have NO qualms at all about having my son play for this staff.

We're on the same page.  Its all good.  None at you either.

CBB is not only selling FB.  He is TELLING these parents the right stuff and proving it too.  What mom out there, affluent or not, wouldn't want her son to have the opportunity of a lifetime, AND know CBB was going to keep his eye on the kid too....?

We have something special brewing in Fayetteville.

And, me neither....... CBB and this staff would be all I could hope for as well for my own son if he were a D1 FB talent.

rickm1976

Ole Miss and MSU fans have no right to snicker about US not being able to field a consistently competitive football team.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: zsanfusa on April 15, 2015, 01:46:17 pm
NE MS vs. SoCal.  Really?!  Even I like sunshine and 6 foot tall blondes better than bigotry.

It sometimes surprises me what people will mistakenly believe a thread is  about...  This is one of those times...  +1
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rickm1976 on April 16, 2015, 11:11:38 am
Ole Miss and MSU fans have no right to snicker about US not being able to field a consistently competitive football team.

Normally it's the Bama fans, but a couple of MSU fans have pointed out we're in the same boat as them b/4...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Pigsfeat

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 16, 2015, 11:13:00 am

Normally it's the Bama fans, but a couple of MSU fans have pointed out we're in the same boat as them b/4...

I lived in Carthage, MS for 10 years and just recently moved back to Arkansas. The friends I have there are all big football fans. I was amazed at their allegiances to certain universities. All these folks were from MS, yet they supported MS State, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia and Southern Cal. I can understand the state universities and we were not far from Alabama, but it was like they just picked whichever team was winning and latched on.
I was born and raised in Arkansas...therefore I am a  :razorback:
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Tusks

Quote from: dffhogs on April 15, 2015, 11:25:40 am
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

Mississippi doesn't tax retirement income from your government pension State , local or Federal.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 15, 2015, 10:59:24 am
Since I moved to Mississippi in 2001 I have heard nothing but snickers and jokes about Arkansas' ability to field a consistent top 3 team in the SEC West. There were the occasional good years that people were a little respecting of what we might do in that given year, and until Petrino, no one worried that we may put two or more productive years together, and no one thought we would compete with Bama or LSU consistently.

The opinions have definitely changed and now many people stop me because of my Razorback gear and ask me about CBB. The single most common subject broached regarding his coaching is his disciplinary practices. The fans here are evenly split between UM, MSU and Bama, and without exception when football is brought up they talk about CBB and the quality of young men we are recruiting. IF coach wants to come into NE MS and recruit he will find it surprisingly very welcoming to him. This year no one has had one negative word for our program and shockingly most want to see us do well except against their team...

Snickers and Jokes?  Ole Miss has NEVER been to the SEC Championship game. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on April 16, 2015, 02:09:32 pm
Snickers and Jokes?  Ole Miss has NEVER been to the SEC Championship game. 

I didn't say I didn't have comebacks... LOL..! Dudes gonna try to make you feel just as weak as they are... I've been here 14 yrs and have held my own pretty good... ;)

Hollywood_HOGan45

The reason for that is just the way we beat down Texas, Ole Miss, and LSU. 78-7

If we would have squeaked by those teams, we wouldn't have the respect we have today.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

THE bAMA GAME EARNED US MORE REPECT THAN THE OTHERS AROUND HERE...

bennyl08

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 16, 2015, 11:11:48 am
It sometimes surprises me what people will mistakenly believe a thread is  about...  This is one of those times...  +1

These threads always boil down to the color of a down comforter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WorfHog

Surefire way to become the smartest guy in town.

Hoggish1

Good stuff.

CBB's work and that of his coaches is getting the attention of the SEC.  They are learning to fear the tusk and it feels good!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WorfHog on April 17, 2015, 10:19:37 am
Surefire way to become the smartest guy in town.

Word..!  +1

Also had a blast today at the Bama Spring game... Folks were plenty scare, I said it 'scare', of Arkansas this year... More than one told me this was our year to win at least the SEC West... Their QB's are a combination of pitiful to suck... Lane-e-poo is probably not going to be in t-town this time next year... The only one who didn't tell me that we were about to supplant LSU as their biggest threat in conference was the drunk chick who had 1 seizure for every 'shot' bottle she drank. She was in the middle of # 7 when they took her out on a gurney... Did they mention it on TV..?