Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SPRING PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 14

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 14, 2015, 07:55:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

smb

Thanks UU I love your reports. Thanks for your time.
GeorgiaHOG

ballhogger

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 10:48:08 am
We'll never see read option in this offense. Neither Enos or Bielema have ever used it. Rafe may want to be a Pro-style QB with good wheels to keep him out of trouble.

Brandon was just fine at the beginning of the season and I would say that he was just fine in the Tejas Bowl. A few games in between he had problems.

You do realize that Coach B coached Russell Wilson and they ran it on several occasions when he played for Wisconsin.  If memory serves me correct I think I saw Enos run it a few times in the bowl game last year.  I don't understand why people think it is not going to happen.  If we have the right guy I am sure that we will mix it up to keep people honest.  It is just another bullet in the chamber.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ballhogger on April 16, 2015, 07:58:39 am
You do realize that Coach B coached Russell Wilson and they ran it on several occasions when he played for Wisconsin.  If memory serves me correct I think I saw Enos run it a few times in the bowl game last year.  I don't understand why people think it is not going to happen.  If we have the right guy I am sure that we will mix it up to keep people honest.  It is just another bullet in the chamber.

I never saw them run it back then but I wasn't paying a lot of attention.  Can you give some examples of when they ran it?

razorback44

Quote from: ballhogger on April 16, 2015, 07:58:39 am

Wisconsin didn't run the read option with Wilson. He got his yards of scrambling. Some of them may have been designed rollout runs but it definitely wasn't through the read option. 
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

razorback44

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 08:07:26 am
I never saw them run it back then but I wasn't paying a lot of attention.  Can you give some examples of when they ran it?

They didn't run it back then.

http://youtu.be/B8r7wLnb1xc

Hollywood_HOGan45

Rose bowl 2011 when Badgers played Oregon. One of the most entertaining games anyone will ever see.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2015, 06:35:49 am
They apparently ran it occasionally with Wilson at Wisconsin. Whether that came from scrambling or designed plays, I'm not sure, but he did have a net 338 yards rushing and 6 TD's that year on 79 carries, about 4.3 yards per carry.

They did run some, how much and whether they were designed runs? That's the question.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 02:12:51 pm
The numbers don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings. Is it a perfect science? No, but there are still very strong correlations that indicate the better recruits = better chances on winning. With that said, we also have the best HC in developing talent. Wiscy, largely under BB, was found to "do more with less" than anybody by a pretty wide margin. This will almost cover any recruiting disadvantages we may have compared to our SECw rivals, but to keep improving our recruiting classes, like it has under BB, will help just as much as development.
Paintball you say the #'s don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings yet would you trade squads with Ole Miss who has blown us out of the water in the recruiting rankings the last few years? I wouldn't think you would but then maybe you would because of the differential in the rankings. If so you would be making a big mistake. Sure Ole Miss has some 4 and 5 star studs but over all we are deeper and better as a football squad than Ole Miss is. This will become apparent in the next year or two as we go forward. Recruiting rankings are fine as far as entertainment but what really counts is the kind of bodies and heart and soul you put on the field, and even you believe that don't you?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2015, 01:05:03 pm
He IS good.  I have been impressed with his ability to get open.  One of the reasons why I think he might be a big time threat for us is that he is returning punts.  He isn't just back there fielding them, but actually doing something with it when he catches it. 

No one is a homerun hitter until they hit a homerun though...and he hasn't done it yet.  So, like you I am a little skeptical until he proves it.

other than little Joe, I've been nervous everytime we've recieved a punt since Danny Walters, so if he just does a decent job getting up field, I'll be estatic... so far he has looked the part... I think he leads the team in receiving one day, maybe not this year, but he could.

razorback44

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2015, 08:17:09 am
Rose bowl 2011 when Badgers played Oregon. One of the most entertaining games anyone will ever see.

They didn't run the read option in the Rose Bowl either.  All six of his runs that games were on scrambles.

They're all featured in this highlight video if you want to see how he got his yards: 

https://youtu.be/fGpCW4pYBLw

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorback44 on April 16, 2015, 08:43:02 am
They didn't run the read option in the Rose Bowl either.  All six of his runs that games were on scrambles.

They're all featured in this highlight video if you want to see how he got his yards: 

Where do these guys get this stuff?  If you have to JMSU to make your point, you never really had a point.

Sportster365

actually it's been said that BA throws really well when rolling out of the pocket. Why not give him the option to pitch it, keep it, or gun it down field to make better use of his abilities.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 15, 2015, 02:57:54 pm
Of course they lie -- those numbers come out of the minds of human beings.  Humans are biased, incorrect, dishonest, self-serving, and often times lazy.

The proof these numbers often do lie is how the rankings change so drastically when some sportswriter goes back and re-evaluates those classes years later.  There may be some similarities, but there are much more differences.

Let me put it this way, they don't lie as much as you would like for them too.

Arkansas having a great team still comes down to coaching the recruits that we get, up to the level of the teams we compete with, and that ain't no lie.

Because we ain't outrecruiting a number of team out there yesterday, today or tomorrow.

CBB's approach of finding the uncommon man and turning him into a beast on the field is what will make a great team.  Not recruiting rankings!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 16, 2015, 09:41:59 am
Let me put it this way, they don't lie as much as you would like for them too.

You have no idea how much I would like them to or not to lie.

Recruiting rankings lie.  There's too much statistical evidence that points to that.

What doesn't lie is talent.  What doesn't lie is character.  What doesn't lie is a staff's ability to coach a team to win football games.

The current recruit evaluation system is a crude tool, at best.  But it doesn't take into consideration a player's character at all.  Or his inner will to be a winner.  Or his love for the weed.  It only looks at his size, speed, and raw athletic talent.

While that absolutely does matter, there are other parameters that matter as much.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 16, 2015, 08:30:25 am
other than little Joe, I've been nervous everytime we've recieved a punt since Danny Walters, so if he just does a decent job getting up field, I'll be estatic... so far he has looked the part... I think he leads the team in receiving one day, maybe not this year, but he could.

Remember when we used to have Hillis "return" punts? Yeah he was sure handed but it always frustrated me that we couldn't field a guy that could be trusted to catch the ball and would also be a threat to return it deep.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: razorback44 on April 16, 2015, 08:43:02 am

Didn't really say they ran the read option.

Was more of a compiment to how entertaining and physical his offense was in 2011.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2015, 01:04:29 pm
Didn't really say they ran the read option.

Was more of a compiment to how entertaining and physical his offense was in 2011.

Yeah, you really did.

There's my question, and here is your response to me asking when they ran the read option:

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2015, 08:17:09 am

So....

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 01:08:45 pm
Yeah, you really did.

There's my question, and here is your response to me asking when they ran the read option:

So....

Oh my you got me there.

So Coach B never ran the read option.

Great.

razorback44

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 09:07:27 am
Where do these guys get this stuff?  If you have to JMSU to make your point, you never really had a point.

I don't know.  Even the Central Michigan answer is incorrect as none of Cooper Rush's runs in the Bahamas Bowl were on read option keeps.  They were all scrambles or sacks. 

I think the issue these days is that people automatically assume a "dual threat" QB is running the read option if they see positive rushing yards in his stat box. The read option is just so prevalent these days that you just jump to that conclusion when you see that a QB had some rushing yards in a game.

I can't blame people for doing it but it does create quite a bit of misinformation when you now have message boards such as these were folks can quickly latch on to it as facts.

Biggus Piggus

It is critically important to create the read option fantasy, because it is the path to early Rafe playing time.
[CENSORED]!

presidenthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 16, 2015, 02:05:56 pm
It is critically important to create the read option fantasy, because it is the path to early Rafe playing time.
This honestly couldn't be close to the truth.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 16, 2015, 11:39:06 am
Remember when we used to have Hillis "return" punts? Yeah he was sure handed but it always frustrated me that we couldn't field a guy that could be trusted to catch the ball and would also be a threat to return it deep.
Yea, Nutt loved his punt catchers! 

RonBurgundy

Thought I'd had to what was said about running backs, since there are a lot of guys banged up in the backfield.  Alex is dealing with an achilles, Denzell is nursing a groin, Kody has a shoulder.  None are too serious, but are no doubt causing problems with reps.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 16, 2015, 11:31:51 am
You have no idea how much I would like them to or not to lie.

Recruiting rankings lie.  There's too much statistical evidence that points to that.

What doesn't lie is talent.  What doesn't lie is character.  What doesn't lie is a staff's ability to coach a team to win football games.

The current recruit evaluation system is a crude tool, at best.  But it doesn't take into consideration a player's character at all.  Or his inner will to be a winner.  Or his love for the weed.  It only looks at his size, speed, and raw athletic talent.

While that absolutely does matter, there are other parameters that matter as much.

You chasing your tail, but you probably have no idea you are doing it. LOL!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on April 16, 2015, 02:15:52 pm
Yea, Nutt loved his punt catchers! 

It really was just a microcosm for Nutt's entire philosophy wasn't it?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Theolesnort

Yep, Biggus gets it. I would not have given a plug nickle for Rafe's chances of being the Razorback QB when I saw him last year with that awkward delivery but since his improvement over last Fall, Winter and Summer I now like what I see. I like the other two also so to me may the best man win. The read option would give Rafe a leg up on the others though.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 16, 2015, 07:30:47 pm
Yep, Biggus gets it. I would not have given a plug nickle for Rafe's chances of being the Razorback QB when I saw him last year with that awkward delivery but since his improvement over last Fall, Winter and Summer I now like what I see. I like the other two also so to me may the best man win. The read option would give Rafe a leg up on the others though.

I flip flop every time I see Austin and Rafe.  I'm not afraid of either of them getting into a game this year.
Retired Radio Host

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 16, 2015, 07:30:47 pm

I know who is #1 right now and who eventually becomes the #2 and #3 is yet to be seen. I don't know anything about RP's delivery as compared to that of Austin Allen, or their composure on the field or ability to read defenses and check into better plays and make sure that everyone is aligned properly and then execute the play with efficiency, but I feel like that whomever that player might be is who is going to be the #2.

Frankly, I don't care who it is. I have no favorites. I want the best players on the field and if that means the occasional mix of a read-option with a particular QB, that is fine. But we won't get away with that very often if it is done with a particular QB over the others.

SEC DC's are pretty sharp and they will learn and learn quickly and adjust to certain personnel packages. That is why we need to have one QB that can and does execute all phases of our offense, in order to avoid being predictable, not allowing them to accurately adjust to particular situations. But that is JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

JoeyCapital

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2015, 08:15:24 pm

SEC DC's are pretty sharp and they will learn and learn quickly and adjust to certain personnel packages. That is why we need to have one QB that can and does execute all phases of our offense, in order to avoid being predictable, not allowing them to accurately adjust to particular situations. But that is JMO.
This.

You show a wrinkle or a unique personnel package one time in a season and every single sec dc will have a plan to stop it.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

jabohog

Quote from: MissippHog on April 16, 2015, 01:44:55 am
I think you're partially right.  I don't think it's necessarily a case of CBB doing more with less.  I think he's just really, really good at identifying players that perfectly fit his system.
Yeah, it should be fun watching the Hogs and Frogs play next year. Two schools that recruit passed over talent. TCU has never had a top 25 recruiting ranking.

WorfHog

Quote from: jabohog on April 16, 2015, 09:59:38 pm
Yeah, it should be fun watching the Hogs and Frogs play next year. Two schools that recruit passed over talent. TCU has never had a top 25 recruiting ranking.

A statistical aberration I assure you. 

The NewEra

UU, big thumbs up man.  Great report.

Super conversations on this thread.  Thanks guys!

Well, at least the first two pages were good, then the typical cat fight broke out.

bennyl08

For some, maybe, but not all. Not everybody who thinks a couple read options here and there even think Rafe will be a starter for the hogs. Andy Dalton and Nick Foles have used the read option in the NFL. Nobody is going to confuse either of them for running qbs. Cincy isn't even a read option team per se and you could probably count the number of times they've used it on your fingers.

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 16, 2015, 08:25:30 am
Paintball you say the #'s don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings yet would you trade squads with Ole Miss who has blown us out of the water in the recruiting rankings the last few years? I wouldn't think you would but then maybe you would because of the differential in the rankings. If so you would be making a big mistake. Sure Ole Miss has some 4 and 5 star studs but over all we are deeper and better as a football squad than Ole Miss is. This will become apparent in the next year or two as we go forward. Recruiting rankings are fine as far as entertainment but what really counts is the kind of bodies and heart and soul you put on the field, and even you believe that don't you?

It depends on what you think they are saying. If you think recruiting rankings will tell you which team will win in a head to head matchup, you are wrong. However, I would say that ole miss will probably have more first round draft picks than we will. There is a correlation between wins and championships at the collegiate level and recruiting rankings. However, the correlation isn't too strong. Coaching, development, and team fit play a large role as well. However, what they do do a very good job at is predicting the athletic prowess of players. A five star prospect has something like a 50% chance of being drafted and a 15% chance of going in the first round. Considering like 2% of players make it to the NFL in general and even fewer in the first round, those numbers show very, very good predictability relative to the mean. That doesn't mean they will be be super successful in college or win a lot of games. But rankings are a good predictor of draft picks and that is largely a measure of a player's athleticism.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MS_HogFan

When is our next report? Do they have any more open practices before Sat?
SOOIE

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: MS_HogFan on April 21, 2015, 11:48:41 am
When is our next report? Do they have any more open practices before Sat?

There is one today.  I will have a report up on here some time after 7.
Retired Radio Host

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 21, 2015, 12:41:47 pm

Thanks Ched. I love the reports.
SOOIE

gmarv

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 21, 2015, 12:41:47 pm
man its about time,i,m pretty sure I ain,t gonna survive the summer without my razorback fix.oh by the way thanks uu I really like your reports.

intelligence

Ugly Uncle

My son has a baseball game tonight at 6:45.  I'll post the practice report as soon as I get back from that.  Great practice today and lots of interesting stuff to talk about.
Retired Radio Host

ricepig

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 21, 2015, 06:21:29 pm
My son has a baseball game tonight at 6:45.  I'll post the practice report as soon as I get back from that.  Great practice today and lots of interesting stuff to talk about.

I'm guessing, this is what they call a teaser in the media business?

presidenthog

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2015, 06:47:28 pm
I'm guessing, this is what they call a teaser in the media business?
Its media speak. It's similar to coach speak but more in second hand form.