Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SPRING PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 14

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 14, 2015, 07:55:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Few injury updates and notes:

Alex Collins was receiving treatments for his ankle during practice today.  Reports are that Bielema is not concerned about it at all and that He expects Alex to be full go by this week and for sure by the Spring game.

Denzell Evans was out there today but was not involved in any contact.

This offense is going to be considerably different than what we had last year.  The amount of motion and shifting and precision is just different.  We will send a guy in motion and it will look like we are about to snap the ball, then all of our skill players will move at once move to a completely new formation, get set for one second then snap the ball.  The next time we send a guy in motion and the defense is thinking we will do that again and we snap it and run a play.

I have mentioned a few times that proper spacing has been stressed over and over again, and today they all seemed to have it down.

Even with the first part of practice being inside and the very last part outside it was a crisp practice.

QB:  BRANDON ALLEN:  He made some brilliant throws today.  He is releasing the ball before receivers make their breaks and hitting them in the hands.  I used to talk about how Tyler Wilson would throw before the receivers were open and that Brandon would throw after they were open.  Well, he looks like he has it down now.  He had another outstanding practice.

AUSTIN ALLEN and RAFE PEAVEY:  I thought they both had a pretty good practice.  Rafe didn't seem as crisp today as I've seen him in the past.  He and Austin are pretty much equally splitting second team reps.

TY STOREY:  Had some issues with accuracy today.  They were throwing some new stuff at him today and it looked like it took his concentration off of his passing a bit.  He is a full grown man though.  He walks, talks, acts like he is in control out there.  I like him a lot.

OFFENSIVE LINE:
Our 1st team OL holds up very well against our 1 DLine.  Not too much to say about them except they will not be our best unit this year.  That is saying something because they may be the top 2 or 3 best OLine in the SEC.

TRETOLA: He got out in front of JWill on a screen pass and ran in front of him to the EZ.  When they got to the EZ Tretola jumped up and down as he crossed the line and said, "I should be a running back baby.  Running back is next for me!"  Then he ran all the way back to the huddle (40 yards).  Since he has trimmed down he can really run.  I would love to see him get the ball on a short yardage play...but I don't think anyone was listening to him when he said he wanted to be a running back.  J. Will was only running half to 3/4 speed.

JALEN MERRICK:  He has a mean streak.  They weren't going full speed all of the time, but on one play he was blocking Coley out on the edge and just as the whistle was blowing shoved him and sent him flying.  This happened right in front of the rest of the D backs on the sideline.  There was plenty of "HEY!" and "WHATS UP MAN?" but I noticed none of the d backs made any move toward him to question Merrick's choices.

Our second team OL is no match for our second team DL.  Which really shouldn't be a surprise since we have such a deep rotation at DL.  I'm a little concerned with our depth there.  Not so much our depth as our experience.  Wallace and Merrick are big and mean and I hope they will both be able to play at a high level for us this year if someone gets hurt.

RUNNING BACKS:  Not too much to say about them today.  I already told you about Alex Collins.  Kody Walker was getting a lot of work today rotating in with J.Wil.

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS:  JoJo had some very nice catches today.  Keon Hatcher looked 100%. 

DUWOP MICHELL:  He continues to prove he can get open, but dropped one deep ball that was perfectly thrown by Rafe.

JARED CORNELIOUS :  I think he will be a real leader for us out there.  He catches the ball really well and runs great routes.

WILL GRAGG:  Seems to be coming along nicely.  He has a better grip on the offense and in the drills where they were having to move quickly and get set quickly he was on top of it.

DEFENSIVE LINE:  This will be our best unit on the team.  The depth that we have there is crazy.  New guys JEREMIAH LEDBETTER and FROHOLDT are outstanding.

LEDBETTER gets into the backfield like he was invited.  It seemed like he was standing next to the QB as soon as they broke the huddle. 

FROHOLDT had a "wait a minute" tackle today.  That is the kind of tackle when it looks like a whole is there and the running back is running through it and he just reaches out with his arm and goes, "wait a minute."  Play over.

Bijhon Jackson was running with the second team today.  The 1s were Winston, Johnson, Hodge and Beanum.

Second team today was Ledbetter, Jackson Froholdt and Wise. 

Dean was out there for the first time today.  Also, Watts looks like he is making a move to get some playing time.

LINEBACKERS: 

HACKETT:  I don't think he understands what half speed or not tackling to the ground means.  He had some big hits today and he wasn't even meaning to.

JOSH HARRIS:  He is fun to watch.  He goes full speed all of the time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him get lots of special teams work and maybe some snaps.

The rest of the linebackers all seemed to have a good day, but again, it is hard to tell much when they aren't really tackling.

SECONDARY:

JARED COLLINS and DJ DEAN (Known as JC and Deuce by their teammates) are running the 1s.  JC is probably our most consistent CB out there.  Play after play he has his guy covered up.  Made some really nice plays breaking up some passes.

ROHAN GAINES and JOSH LIDDELL are the 1s in the back.  Coley and Santos are also getting a lot of snaps.  Santos continues to look good, but gets down on himself too much.  I heard a G.A. tell him today, "Do you know what you and a tennis player have in common?  If you mess up you are going to have another ball coming at you in about 90 seconds.  You've got to get over it and get ready."  Now, I cleaned up the language a little bit there.

I'll try to answer any questions that you might have.

UU

Retired Radio Host

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

ZERO

I was refreshing like mad waiting for this. Outstanding, as usual.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Dark Helmet Hog

ThisTeetsTaken

Good job UU.  I am wondering who the 2nd team O-line was.  TGCGT  . Thanks I'll hang up and listen.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Josh Goforth

Thanks UU! Any idea who is the GA working with the Qbs?

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

Bacon_Bitz

Thanks. How are B Lewis and K Marks doing?

Mike Irwin

I saw Ched hard at work. He was a picture of concentration.

I would add that I saw E-Hawk make a great catch on a bullet thrown by Austin Allen. The ball was slightly off target to the point where Hawkins had to fully extend to snag it. It was the kind of pass that would have gone through his hands in the past because of the velocity. That kid's really improved.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorback44

QuoteThis offense is going to be considerably different than what we had last year.  The amount of motion and shifting and precision is just different.  We will send a guy in motion and it will look like we are about to snap the ball, then all of our skill players will move at once move to a completely new formation, get set for one second then snap the ball.  The next time we send a guy in motion and the defense is thinking we will do that again and we snap it and run a play.

The use of motion like this was a staple of his offenses at Wisconsin under Chryst and something I could never figure out why we hadn't used here yet. I'm assuming that was on Chaney but it's always bothered me over the past two seasons. It's good to see Enos bringing it back.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Theolesnort

April 14, 2015, 10:39:25 pm #11 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:51:29 pm by Theolesnort
Well Ched I came to the same conclusion last Sat after watching the scrimmage. Like I said, I am a old oline man myself, I just watch them constantly but it begin to dawn on me that this dline was looking almost superb and as good as the oline is I can't say the same about them, at least not just yet. Then you throw in the depth of the dline and you just shake your head in amazement. I will add this, after decades of watching Razorback football I can remember on the dline Billy Ray Smith JR and Dan Hampton at the tackles and that line was superb but the dline this year has better defensive ends and it is much deeper than what the Holtz team had. My thinking is this current dline is just scratching the surface of what may be coming. Could be I am just getting carried away, but then this might be something that should carry you away and get you enthused.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Hawgzinbowlz

Is the 2nd string OL being physically overmatched or is it a chemistry/cohesion issue?...or a little of both?

Thanks for the down to earth reporting.

" GO HOGS "

Theolesnort

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on April 14, 2015, 10:51:20 pm
Is the 2nd string OL being physically overmatched or is it a chemistry/cohesion issue?...or a little of both?

Thanks for the down to earth reporting.

" GO HOGS "
Could be the 2nd string dline will be first string before long or something along that line of thought. Oh and that wait a minute tackle Froholdt made......... that reminded me of just what Loyd Phillips used to do when he would stick out that massive arm as the back would be coming through and fell him like a chopped down tree.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 14, 2015, 08:10:06 pm
Good job UU.  I am wondering who the 2nd team O-line was.  TGCGT  . Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

Off the top of my head, Wallace, Merrick, Rogers, Danhauer, then someone else rotating.
Retired Radio Host

presidenthog

In the red white game is the 2nd team dline going against the 1st oline and do you think they will have a lot of success? The way I'm getting it is the 1st and second are interchangeable

Theolesnort

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 14, 2015, 10:54:29 pm
Off the top of my head, Wallace, Merrick, Rogers, Danhauer, then someone else rotating.
Supposed to be the walk on at the second team left tackle. You will have to supply the name but he is quite the find is what I understand.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 14, 2015, 10:53:50 pm
Could be the 2nd string dline will be first string before long or something along that line of thought. Oh and that wait a minute tackle Froholdt made......... that reminded me of just what Loyd Phillips used to do when he would stick out that massive arm as the back would be coming through and fell him like a chopped down tree.

I watched Froholdt, exclusively, last Saturday for several plays and he stood up the #1 offensive lineman on every play that I saw. He was double teamed once, and he stood up two OL...and he's only a freshman.
Give him some time in CBH system...smh.

" GO HOGS "

Theolesnort

If I am not mistaken isn't he only 18 and just recently so?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 14, 2015, 11:01:50 pm
Supposed to be the walk on at the second team left tackle. You will have to supply the name but he is quite the find is what I understand.

Johny Gibson.  Austin Beck was also in there some.
Retired Radio Host

Theolesnort

Yes Johnny Gibson and I think Bielema has taken a shine to him or so it seems, but with reason.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 14, 2015, 11:15:31 pm
If I am not mistaken isn't he only 18 and just recently so?

He may be running with the 1s this fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FfUKLvbaY8

Can you say IMG pipeline...

Can you say Viking Pipeline...

" GO HOGS "

Cure

Quote from: razorback44 on April 14, 2015, 09:25:51 pm
The use of motion like this was a staple of his offenses at Wisconsin under Chryst and something I could never figure out why we hadn't used here yet. I'm assuming that was on Chaney but it's always bothered me over the past two seasons. It's good to see Enos bringing it back.
He did that when he had 3 tight ends that could block and run extremely well. They them more as H-backs (see incoming recruit Cantrell, he's a prototype Bielema player).
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

PaintballHog

Thanks for the report.

I think the second team Oline will greatly improve going against the 1.b Dline. Iron sharpens iron. Hopefully we bring in some great quality Olinemen in this next class also.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 06:49:04 am
Thanks for the report.

I think the second team Oline will greatly improve going against the 1.b Dline. Iron sharpens iron. Hopefully we bring in some great quality Olinemen in this next class also.

This.

We are one or two short on durable offensive linemen and that is absolutely no knock on anyone we have on campus. They will be very good this year, but in '16 they should be phenomenal after this next recruiting class.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 07:04:36 am
This.

We are one or two short on durable offensive linemen and that is absolutely no knock on anyone we have on campus. They will be very good this year, but in '16 they should be phenomenal after this next recruiting class.

I think Pittman said we were 3 or 4 short of the numbers we need in the O-Line group. Should be an interesting recruiting season since I think that Hargreaves has said that we would be taking 4 LB's next year as well. And, we need some RB's too.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 07:04:36 am
This.

We are short #'s wise but as far as #'s in quality we have more than most. We also have an exciting walk on that will participate. He is that good.

Großer Kriegschwein

Theolesnort

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 07:47:19 am
And that's what I was saying.
Yeah as in under studying and learning the ropes for the future. I get you. Several more in the weight room with potential would be nice.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 07:45:59 am
We are short #'s wise but as far as #'s in quality we have more than most. We also have an exciting walk on that will participate. He is that good.

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 07:47:19 am
And that's what I was saying.

Yeah, I wasn't addressing the quality of what we have, I was just speaking to sheer numbers. I think we are getting quality players across the board on both sides of the ball and that is a huge improvement, just need to shore up the total numbers in some position groups.
Go Hogs Go!

PaintballHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 07:45:59 am

Are there any articles on him? This is the first I'm hearing of him.

gmarv

good stuff uu.i didn,t see tollivers name mention, hows he doing hes not hurt is he?

LRrazorback

These two dlines don't include Mitchell Lowen (sp) and Anthony brown. They played last year and Mitchell played a lot towards the end of the year

LRrazorback

Forgot, thanks for the updates UU!!

Theolesnort

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 08:10:38 am
Are there any articles on him? This is the first I'm hearing of him.
Only what Bielema said about him in one of his press conferences. When he switched one of our top young talents to the right tackle back up position and moved Johnny Gibson? into the back up left tackle position. Don't you think that speaks volumes about his potential?

PaintballHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 08:27:28 am
Only what Bielema said about him in one of his press conferences. When he switched one of our top young talents to the right tackle back up position and moved Johnny Gibson? into the back up left tackle position. Don't you think that speaks volumes about his potential?

Absolutely, but also it isn't surprising knowing BB track record with walkons. I look forward to his development. I though OT would be worryingly thin, but this helps alot.

PaintballHog

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 15, 2015, 08:25:27 am
These two dlines don't include Mitchell Lowen (sp) and Anthony brown. They played last year and Mitchell played a lot towards the end of the year

Holy crap I didn't even think of this.

DlineU?

Theolesnort

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 15, 2015, 08:25:27 am
Nor Watts and Marks plus Lewis who is hurt right now plus Jamario Bell who will come in this summer with credentials. Kind of insane isn't it?

cypress rock

Johnny is a super kid! He is from Dumas.

razorback44

Quote from: Cure on April 15, 2015, 12:03:59 am
He did that when he had 3 tight ends that could block and run extremely well. They them more as H-backs (see incoming recruit Cantrell, he's a prototype Bielema player).

Yeah we definitely haven't had near the depth at TE the past two seasons as he had at Wisconsin.  I love the pieces we are bringing in though and the move of Antwine to TE.  That should start to give us a lot of good things that we can scheme up with the TE's.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2015, 08:06:33 am
Yeah, I wasn't addressing the quality of what we have, I was just speaking to sheer numbers. I think we are getting quality players across the board on both sides of the ball and that is a huge improvement, just need to shore up the total numbers in some position groups.

Good to see that we will take a short class with quality rather than burn scholarships just to get bodies in place...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 08:27:28 am

Our school has been truly blessed with OL walk-on's...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawg1221

UU... I think your nickname should be "W". :D

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: cypress rock on April 15, 2015, 08:38:06 am
Johnny is a super kid! He is from Dumas.

Hey, we're not gonna hold that against him!!  ;););)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 08:31:41 am
Holy crap I didn't even think of this.

DlineU?

I'd say not quite so fast on that.  There is a school, that plays in our conference I believe, that has put a few DL players into the NFL, if my memory serves.

(Actually, there are quite a few that have done that!!  But I was thinking of the one that has some large red pachyderm as a mascot.)

Even so, I'm with your excitement level.  It's freaking awesome to see!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2015, 09:04:27 pm
I saw Ched hard at work. He was a picture of concentration.

I would add that I saw E-Hawk make a great catch on a bullet thrown by Austin Allen. The ball was slightly off target to the point where Hawkins had to fully extend to snag it. It was the kind of pass that would have gone through his hands in the past because of the velocity. That kid's really improved.

If he can step his game up IMO he could be a difference maker.  Would be great to see!!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 14, 2015, 11:01:50 pm
Is Johnny Gibson the lineman from Dumas?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

razorback44

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 15, 2015, 10:03:11 am
Is Johnny Gibson the lineman from Dumas?

Yes. He's a good player. Most likely would have gotten a scholarship offer under Petrino and Nutt. Pittman just has recruiting on a different level so thankfully he was ok with walking on.

Theolesnort

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2015, 08:06:33 am
But, but we are 10TH or 11TH in recruiting in our conference or so some of our resident recruitnics say when quoting the recruiting services. This gives me the opportunity to mount the soap box one more time and refer back to one of my post about recruiting and how far off the services are when they examine us. I made the statement about this Fall and how our players will look on the field compared to various squads in our conference who are rated higher than us. Well looky here we don't even have to wait for the fall because it is evident that even in the Spring with the eye test or the getting off the bus test all of a sudden we look like Alabama, LSU and Georgia. Even Bo Mattingly made that observation several times recently on his show. Marcus Spears on the SEC Network is also becoming a believer and you recruitnics should open your own eyes and throw those recruiting rags in the trash where they belong because that is where they belong. Just a waste of good money. Now I am not saying we have passed Bama and LSU but what I am saying is recruiting is catching up and through development in the weight room and the nutrition program we look like a top SEC program and not a bottom feeder the services say we are. OK I will get off the soap box to talk real football again. Just take another look this Fall and see how much farther we have come. It will just get better and better. Where we do need to improve is in the skill areas.

Großer Kriegschwein

I guess I put too much weight on what SP said in an interview a while back about still being short of where we need to be #s-wise for what we are trying to do on the offensive side of the ball.

I'll just get Guv's opinion next time.