Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lest someone mistakenly think that NCAA football is about the student athletes

Started by Suidae Suis Scrofa, April 14, 2015, 01:31:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

I'm honestly not sure that arguments and statements to the contrary, that any fan (unless living in a cave somewhere) who follows the goings-on of the NCAA would believe that to that group of sharks it isn't anything but the money.

Mike Irwin

How is making money for the universities they play for a bad thing for student athletes?
Would we be better off if the athletic departments of those schools were struggling financially?

The truth is for decades the power conference schools have been trying to pass legislation that would provide more benefits to student athletes. They've been voted down by the mid majors who don't have the money to provide these extra benefits.

That's all changed now. The cost of attendance concept is going to make campus life a lot better for all scholarship athletes. Also even though the NCAA has issues this is not one of them. They have very little to do with with the disparity between what schools make off athletics and what they spend on their athletes.

Cinco de Hogo

Mike Irwin

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2015, 02:18:21 pm
How is making money for the universities they play for a bad thing for student athletes?
Would we be better off if the athletic departments of those schools were struggling financially?

The truth is for decades the power conference schools have been trying to pass legislation that would provide more benefits to student athletes. They've been voted down by the mid majors who don't have the money to provide these extra benefits.

That's all changed now. The cost of attendance concept is going to make campus life a lot better for all scholarship athletes. Also even though the NCAA has issues this is not one of them. They have very little to do with with the disparity between what schools make off athletics and what they spend on their athletes.
Don't know what you consider mid-major but I did not think most of the schools that make up the current FBS have been the problem.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with them forming their own division, and only play each other so we can find out once and for all who the real 'big-boys' are.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 14, 2015, 04:01:07 pm
Don't know what you consider mid-major but I did not think most of the schools that make up the current FBS have been the problem.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with them forming their own division, and only play each other so we can find out once and for all who the real 'big-boys' are.
The extra benefits that are going to be provided under cost of attendance scholarships are too expensive for schools that don't get the type of TV revenues available to power conference schools.

It had reached the point where the so called "power five" members were going to leave the NCAA if something wasn't done. So those schools were given voting autonomy with regard to benefits for student athletes, meaning that mid majors could not vote those measures down.

Also yes, FBS schools outside of those powers conferences were the ones voting these measures down in the past.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 15, 2015, 12:42:37 pm
The extra benefits that are going to be provided under cost of attendance scholarships are too expensive for schools that don't get the type of TV revenues available to power conference schools.

It had reached the point where the so called "power five" members were going to leave the NCAA if something wasn't done. So those schools were given voting autonomy with regard to benefits for student athletes, meaning that mid majors could not vote those measures down.

Also yes, FBS schools outside of those powers conferences were the ones voting these measures down in the past.
Funny I was told that FCS lost their seat at the 'table', and the P5 took all their votes in the recent reorganization, because they were the ones standing in the way.

Was also told because the G5 was on board with everything( including the P5 having autonomy over a few issues) they got to keep  their place at the table, all their votes, in the reorganization, plus access too, and really a nice piece of the payoff pie, all out of the generosity of the P5, for going along.

To add  injury to insult was told to look for FBS schools to play FCS less often going forward.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Hogwild

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 14, 2015, 01:54:06 pm
I'm honestly not sure that arguments and statements to the contrary, that any fan (unless living in a cave somewhere) who follows the goings-on of the NCAA would believe that to that group of sharks it isn't anything but the money.
The NCAA doesn't see any of that money. College Football revenue does not go to the NCAA, on the FBS level.

The TV contracts, bowl games, and BCS/Playoff are all through conferences. 

oldbear

Complaining about how the NCAA treats colleges is like complaining about how the AAA treats high schools. Both organizations have members that make the rules. Those members are the schools' presidents and athletic directors. The tail doesn't just wag the dog; it is the dog.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: oldbear on April 15, 2015, 04:37:40 pm
Complaining about how the NCAA treats colleges is like complaining about how the AAA treats high schools. Both organizations have members that make the rules. Those members are the schools' presidents and athletic directors. The tail doesn't just wag the dog; it is the dog.

LOL, just like with our government, we are the dog.  We like to run around in circles biting our asses.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 14, 2015, 02:45:33 pm
Jeff Long approves...of making money that is. 

As opposed to losing money?  Is that the approach you want Jeff Long to take for Arkansas Athletics?   

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 16, 2015, 08:46:09 am
As opposed to losing money?  Is that the approach you want Jeff Long to take for Arkansas Athletics?

Huh?

Only response I could think of. LOL

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 16, 2015, 08:48:01 am
Huh?

Only response I could think of. LOL

My comment is directed to those who constantly complain about the way Jeff Long is running things, i.e. the ticket prices are too high, he's a Yankee, he makes too much money, etc. If you aren't one of them then it doesn't apply to you.