Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time you had this much faith in our coaching staff as a whole?

Started by HogMantheIntruder, April 14, 2015, 01:07:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

As a whole? Considering all on-field areas (Offensive, Defensive, SP Teams) plus off-field areas (grades, discipline, character)?

I would have to say Holtz or maybe Hatfield. (and I say Hatfield just because of how much I respect him personally; his bowl game performance left me crying, but his regular season performance?!).

Other than those two? There's not a Coaching staff in the last 3 decades that I don't like more than the current staff (not to take anything away from past Coaches).  From Head Coach to Strength & Conditioning Coach... I'm very excited about the entire Staff and am all-in.

But, sadly, given the conference/division we're in? We could have the best Coaching staff we've seen in 3 decades, and still not get to the promised land. That isn't saying anything about our Coaches, but more about who they play week in and week out.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Augustus on April 17, 2015, 06:05:09 pm
As a whole? Considering all on-field areas (Offensive, Defensive, SP Teams) plus off-field areas (grades, discipline, character)?

I would have to say Holtz or maybe Hatfield. (and I say Hatfield just because of how much I respect him personally; his bowl game performance left me crying, but his regular season performance?!).

Other than those two? There's not a Coaching staff in the last 3 decades that I don't like more than the current staff (not to take anything away from past Coaches).  From Head Coach to Strength & Conditioning Coach... I'm very excited about the entire Staff and am all-in.

But, sadly, given the conference/division we're in? We could have the best Coaching staff we've seen in 3 decades, and still not get to the promised land. That isn't saying anything about our Coaches, but more about who they play week in and week out.
And there in lie the crux of the problem. I am sure that we are going to have a gee whiz football team this Fall but then I think to myself we are chasing a moving target or several moving targets in this conference. I try to keep my enthusiasm in check but I am afraid I am not doing a good job of it. So................?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 17, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
Well said When the Hogs entered the stadium to play LSU in 2011, they were #3 in the nation behind LSU and Bama. The fact is if they had beaten LSU, they would have been a lock for the BCS National Championship game so they were indeed contenders.

MAYBE, not a fact, thats for certain. Seems like those kinds of things never work out in our favor.

GuvHog

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 18, 2015, 09:38:15 am
MAYBE, not a fact, thats for certain. Seems like those kinds of things never work out in our favor.

Yes, it is a fact. The very idea that another team would jump the #3 team in the nation if they just beat the #2 team in the nation at THEIR place is asinine.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HappyHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 18, 2015, 10:32:34 am
Yes, it is a fact. The very idea that another team would jump the #3 team in the nation if they just beat the #2 team in the nation at THEIR place is asinine.

Who's to say we definitely would have moved ahead of LSU had we beaten them?

Here's the scenario

We lost to Alabama , but beat LSU
Alabama beat us, but lost to LSU
LSU beat Alabama but lost to us

There is simply noway you can say "yes we definately would have been ranked higher than one of those teams"

Probably we would have moved ahead of LSU had we beaten them, but not certainly.

But the reality again is that we did NOT beat LSU, so the rest is just conjecture anyway.

Petrino had us playing very well, but not at the level of LSU , ALA (and to be fair no one else was playing at that level either, so those who think this is some knock on Petrino or Arkansas are wrong, LSU and Bama were both simply amazing that season)

Tusks

Could the ones that have derailed the thread go get a room.

carry on.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ghostzapper

Holtz' staff had a GA who would go on to win a Super Bowl as head coach, an OC who would win a Super Bowl ring in that same capacity and a DC who would win a Super Bowl ring in that same capacity and become synonymous with Cover Two.  Hard to beat that one. 

Tusks

JFB had a DC win 2 Super Bowl rings and another defensive assistant win 1 as HCs.  He also had another assistant that was a HC in a Super Bowl and lose.  That's 3 assistants as HCs in 4 Super Bowls.

Tusks

Quote from: ghostzapper on April 19, 2015, 11:38:53 am
Holtz' staff had a GA who would go on to win a Super Bowl as head coach, an OC who would win a Super Bowl ring in that same capacity and a DC who would win a Super Bowl ring in that same capacity and become synonymous with Cover Two.  Hard to beat that one. 

I'm drawing a blank on the OC.....who was it?

ghostzapper

ghostzapper

Quote from: tusked on April 19, 2015, 12:08:33 pm
JFB had a DC win 2 Super Bowl rings and another defensive assistant win 1 as HCs.  He also had another assistant that was a HC in a Super Bowl and lose.  That's 3 assistants as HCs in 4 Super Bowls.

I'll concede that one.  Both of them were great staffs.  Forgot to add John Mitchell from Holtz staff.

tusksincolorado

ABSOLUTELY!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ghostzapper on April 19, 2015, 11:38:53 am

Love me some Monte Kiffin!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HappyHogFan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogWall Jackson

dhornjr1

Joe Gibbs did lose a Super Bowl. But he also won three. Former Broyles assistants have have coached in seven Super Bowls and won six.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 23, 2015, 12:46:38 am
Joe Gibbs did lose a Super Bowl. But he also won three. Former Broyles assistants have have coached in seven Super Bowls and won six.

And that is why we have the Broyles Award.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

oldhawg

Holtz was a very good public speaker.  Once saw him make a presentation at an event in San Antonio (a year or two into his tenure at Arkansas) and he wowed the crowd.  What he didn't do was sign the couple of kids that year from San Antonio that he was recruiting.

GuvHog

Quote from: oldhawg on April 23, 2015, 09:07:55 am
Holtz was a very good public speaker.  Once saw him make a presentation at an event in San Antonio (a year or two into his tenure at Arkansas) and he wowed the crowd.  What he didn't do was sign the couple of kids that year from San Antonio that he was recruiting.

That was common for Lou Holtz, he was a very poor recruiter. Every school he went to, he'd start out great with maybe a couple of big seasons but then as a result of his inability to recruit, the program would decline and he would eventually leave or be terminated (Arkansas).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 19, 2015, 10:31:53 am

What I can definitely say is that I enjoyed being the in the position of playing one game for a shot at the national championship.  I prefer that position to a lot of other outcomes, but maybe I'm just an oddball.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 23, 2015, 09:51:39 am
What I can definitely say is that I enjoyed being the in the position of playing one game for a shot at the national championship.  I prefer that position to a lot of other outcomes, but maybe I'm just an oddball.

If that makes you an oddball, then I am also an oddball. I loved what our program accomplished in 2010 and 2011. At least in terms of wins and losses.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 17, 2015, 06:44:33 pm
And there in lie the crux of the problem. I am sure that we are going to have a gee whiz football team this Fall but then I think to myself we are chasing a moving target or several moving targets in this conference. I try to keep my enthusiasm in check but I am afraid I am not doing a good job of it. So................?

The let down sux, but manic depression is wayyyyy better than general malaise... I'll take a 70/30 split as long as I get 30% of HELLZ YES..!  WMFP...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lumphog

Yea.....I cried when Bob got fired, BUT..... Life's been good to me so far
I love CBB   #BobbyWho

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

daBoar

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 23, 2015, 02:18:29 pm
1977 and now.
......if that happens, 2015 and 16 will be seasons to remember..............or help us old farts rest in peace.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 19, 2015, 10:31:53 am

Here's the scenario

We lost to Alabama , but beat LSU
Alabama beat us, but lost to LSU
LSU beat Alabama but lost to us

There is simply noway you can say "yes we definately would have been ranked higher than one of those teams"

Probably we would have moved ahead of LSU had we beaten them, but not certainly.

But the reality again is that we did NOT beat LSU, so the rest is just conjecture anyway.

Petrino had us playing very well, but not at the level of LSU , ALA (and to be fair no one else was playing at that level either, so those who think this is some knock on Petrino or Arkansas are wrong, LSU and Bama were both simply amazing that season)
Petrino, obviously before all of the hullabaloo over Bobby not going to the weekly confessional before our esteemed A.D. and admitting to ALL of his sins. Even his extreme hatred of Leslie Miles. One can just hear Bobby admitting of the primal and all things that are unholy lust in his heart for Miss Jump Serve. "Yes Father, what shall I do for all of my transgressions."  "Well my son, you can't, you see there are just some sins that are unforgiveable unless..., so say 5 "raise the ticket prices' and 10 'my boss is the smartest man in any room he enters' and maybe you can have your job back.

Bobby Petrino was the coach I last felt this or even more confident in having as a coach...I know what's coming, so go ahead, as Buddy Holly used to sing, and "RAVE ON"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 23, 2015, 09:36:37 pm
Petrino, obviously before all of the hullabaloo over Bobby not going to the weekly confessional before our esteemed A.D. and admitting to ALL of his sins. Even his extreme hatred of Leslie Miles. One can just hear Bobby admitting of the primal and all things that are unholy lust in his heart for Miss Jump Serve. "Yes Father, what shall I do for all of my transgressions."  "Well my son, you can't, you see there are just some sins that are unforgiveable unless..., so say 5 "raise the ticket prices' and 10 'my boss is the smartest man in any room he enters' and maybe you can have your job back.

Bobby Petrino was the coach I last felt this or even more confident in having as a coach...I know what's coming, so go ahead, as Buddy Holly used to sing, and "RAVE ON"

I'm sure that made sense in your head.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

NaturalStateReb

It seems like he's doing a lot of things the right way, but he's gotta win.  If he doesn't win, fans will go from "Give us Bielema!" to "Give us Barabbas!" very quickly. 

I think he's got to win 9 games at least once in the next two years or people are going to get antsy.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

LZH

HappyHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 24, 2015, 08:49:17 am
It seems like he's doing a lot of things the right way, but he's gotta win.  If he doesn't win, fans will go from "Give us Bielema!" to "Give us Barabbas!" very quickly. 

I think he's got to win 9 games at least once in the next two years or people are going to get antsy.

I think w win 9 next season. 4 conference wins, 4 OOC wins and a bowl win, certainly feasible and a reasonable expectation.

thirrdegreetusker

Bobby Petrino was the coach I last felt this or even more confident in having as a coach

Sorry, I just did not feel that way walking out of Vandy stadium on Oct 29, 2011. We were about to be 15 down in the fourth quarter, but the Vandy RB just flat dropped the ball, and we did a scoop and score for seven, to close within one.

We were not ready to play. We are out-played and out-coached.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 24, 2015, 10:35:03 am
Sorry, I just did not feel that way walking out of Vandy stadium on Oct 29, 2011. We were about to be 15 down in the fourth quarter, but the Vandy RB just flat dropped the ball, and we did a scoop and score for seven, to close within one.

We were not ready to play. We are out-played and out-coached.

Not to mention, our recruiting wasn't going so well. I just don't see how people thought 2012 was going to be a good year if Petrino had been here.

EastexHawg

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 24, 2015, 11:13:25 am
I just don't see how people thought 2012 was going to be a good year if Petrino had been here.

It's not that hard to imagine if you try.  At least it wasn't for any of the sportwriters, coaches, and other people around college football who took part in these polls:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2012/week/1

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 24, 2015, 08:29:53 am
I'm sure that made sense in your head.
I was creating a parody about a very successful and beloved coach of a small southern state's only major D-1 institution. The parody involved the lack of remorse of a coach who took the small state's team to a level it hasn't seen in decades and added an athletic director who, was not nearly as appreciated as the coach and who wanted and got his revenge at first asking. If that doesn't make sense to you, you cannot think beyond one dimension.

snoblind

Except the OP's question was "staff as a whole", not the head coach.

snoblind

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 24, 2015, 11:25:58 am
It's not that hard to imagine if you try.  At least it wasn't for any of the sportwriters, coaches, and other people around college football who took part in these polls:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2012/week/1

And every year there is one or more teams that start the season highly ranked and collapse.  I'll give BP credit for one thing, I highly doubt he would have called the offense the way the Paul did against ULM so probably they don't have the time to finish the comeback.  But with Tyler hurt we weren't finishing in the top 25, much less top 10. 

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 24, 2015, 12:25:11 pm
I was creating a parody about a very successful and beloved coach of a small southern state's only major D-1 institution. The parody involved the lack of remorse of a coach who took the small state's team to a level it hasn't seen in decades and added an athletic director who, was not nearly as appreciated as the coach and who wanted and got his revenge at first asking. If that doesn't make sense to you, you cannot think beyond one dimension.

Ah, so you believe that Long was jealous of Petrino and thus manufactured a reason to fire him.... :rofl:

Gonzo

Quote from: LZH on April 24, 2015, 08:55:06 am
Seriously?  How 'bout right up til April 1, 2011?

Most here felt that way, though many will claim they were already off the wagon at the time. That's the part that I always find so amusing, how he suddenly became such a worse coach before the accident even though it didn't change a thing about him as a coach.   Unfortunately, if things don't work out with BB, the very same thing will happen......so many will suddenly have known all along he couldn't get it done. Nature of the beast.   Looks promising for now though imo, hopefully we won't need to find out anytime soon.

Go Hogs!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Gonzo on April 24, 2015, 03:19:08 pm

Most here felt that way, though many will claim they were already off the wagon at the time. That's the part that I always find so amusing, how he suddenly became such a worse coach before the accident even though it didn't change a thing about him as a coach.   Unfortunately, if things don't work out with BB, the very same thing will happen......so many will suddenly have known all along he couldn't get it done. Nature of the beast.   Looks promising for now though imo, hopefully we won't need to find out anytime soon.

Go Hogs!
uh,......no.....I said the first chance the AD got to fire the popular coach he did so. A well known basketball coach has relations with a woman in a local restaurant in the home town of Cassius Clay and he didn't get fired....and right now, is just as popular with the fans of his institution as he was before the incident....I guess what I'm trying to say is that our AD jumped the trap before it was baited, to use a lower Arkansas term for someone who flies off the handle and does something he regrets without allowing a cooling off period. That is all.

ad: again, so as to not de-rail the thread, the answer to the OP would be, Bobby Petrino.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Gonzo on April 24, 2015, 03:19:08 pm

Most here felt that way, though many will claim they were already off the wagon at the time. That's the part that I always find so amusing, how he suddenly became such a worse coach before the accident even though it didn't change a thing about him as a coach.   

Hey, we here in Arkansas are notorious Kool-Aid drinkers. We believed!

Albert Einswine

I enjoyed Petrino's short tenure exponentially more than Nutt's, but after year 4 I was resigned that although we would have winning seasons, he was never going to build the defensive side of the game to where we'd be able to beat Bama and LSU in the same season and he'd probably never win the west. Still enjoyed his stint after the long joke that was HDN.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

robs4516

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 24, 2015, 03:28:59 pm
ad: again, so as to not de-rail the thread, the answer to the OP would be, Bobby Petrino.

I respect your opinion, and I think that Petrino is as good as it comes when talking strictly x's and o's, but I don't think his complete coaching staff was anywhere near as accomplished as the one on the Hill currently. If anything, I think Petrino carried several of his assistants with his attention to detail and passion (pun intended). Thus, why I feel CBB's assemblage of assistants is much better overall.
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

Mike Irwin

Quote from: robs4516 on April 24, 2015, 04:34:42 pm
I respect your opinion, and I think that Petrino is as good as it comes when talking strictly x's and o's, but I don't think his complete coaching staff was anywhere near as accomplished as the one on the Hill currently. If anything, I think Petrino carried several of his assistants with his attention to detail and passion (pun intended). Thus, why I feel CBB's assemblage of assistants is much better overall.
Petrino's staff was almost (but not quite) as bad as Hatfield's. Try in any way to compare Kris Klenakis to Sam Pittman. Willy Robinson to Robb Smith. Garrick McGee to Dan Enos.

Petrino employed yes men who in many cases were lucky to have jobs. They brought little or nothing to the table. They were like mirrors reflecting the image of Petrino back at him. This is not just my opinion. There are many players from those days that will tell you the same thing.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 24, 2015, 03:45:28 pm
I enjoyed Petrino's short tenure exponentially more than Nutt's, but after year 4 I was resigned that although we would have winning seasons, he was never going to build the defensive side of the game to where we'd be able to beat Bama and LSU in the same season and he'd probably never win the west. Still enjoyed his stint after the long joke that was HDN.

Although he did change his defensive coordinator and defensive backfill coach the last year at Arkansas so we can't be sure that he would not have improved the defense significantly.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: snoblind on April 24, 2015, 12:45:36 pm
Except the OP's question was "staff as a whole", not the head coach.

Petrino was a one man staff, he didn't really need assistants.  And he was fast too, faster than Tanner English!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 24, 2015, 04:51:45 pm
Petrino's staff was almost (but not quite) as bad as Hatfield's. Try in any way to compare Kris Klenakis to Sam Pittman. Willy Robinson to Robb Smith. Garrick McGee to Dan Enos.

Petrino employed yes men who in many cases were lucky to have jobs. They brought little or nothing to the table. They were like mirrors reflecting the image of Petrino back at him. This is not just my opinion. There are many players from those days that will tell you the same thing.
in other words you are admitting one man, the head coach, took the football program to a level it had not seen since 1978 ? that being the case, sounds like one helluva football coach to me

ad: I like your work Mike, but sometimes, no let me amend this, quite often the media judges coaches, and especially the head coach, on how he interacts and gives access to the reporters...if he's a horse's butt like Petrino could be to the media, well, when he falls from grace the inevitable media foot to coach's throat rolls out...you may have not liked the guy, but you cannot argue with his ability to win football games...Petrino, and the bright future perceived by large donors because of what Bobby's razorback teams did on the field is the ONLY reason that football operations is as nice as it is...somehow I dont get the feeling we'd have quite as greased of a pipeline to Florida for recruiting without that facility...JMHO