Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time you had this much faith in our coaching staff as a whole?

Started by HogMantheIntruder, April 14, 2015, 01:07:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

I started really watching the Hogs when I was around 13 or 14 ('93/'94), and since then it has always seemed to me that we have never really had a "loaded" coaching staff.  We always seemed to be in dire need of an upgrade at either OC, DC, or HC.  Ford was just past his prime (IMO).  Nutt, of course, needed an OC.  BP needed a DC who was allowed to do his job.  And JLS was, well JLS. 

Admittedly, we don't know for sure how Enos is going to do yet, but he has an excellent track record, and I think most of us consider him an upgrade over Chaney.  Robb Smith is obviously a great (not good- GREAT) DC, and Jennings has worked wonders with our D backs.  Sam Pittman is Sam Pittman, enough said.  We're about to field what may be the deepest and most talented D-line we've had in 10+ years under Seagrest, and that's after losing two NFL linemen.  We've all seen what Coach Herbert has done and continues to do.  And at the center of it all, we have CBB, who I consider one of the top ten best coaches in the NCAA. 

Recruiting has improved and shows no sign of slowing down, and optimism seems to be close to the same level that we had after the 2011 season.  I honestly did not think that CBB would be anything but mediocre when he first arrived, but his ability to turn around a program the right way is simply amazing.  It's his ability to hire the right assistant coaches, and then to actually let them do their jobs which I believe is what is going to take us to the next level.  In that respect, I can't think of anyone since Broyles who can match him. 

So, for all the Hogvillians out there (especially the ones who have been following the Hogs for much longer than I), what do you think?  How would you rank this staff as a whole, compared to what you have seen?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Großer Kriegschwein

2011 (way different styles of play and coaching though) and I'll add this about that season. Tyler showed what he was capable of against the Barners in 2010. Knile was a beast in 2010 once he passed everyone else on the depth chart. I had concerns after Knile's injury but took it on faith that the staff would figure out the tailback situation.

Had Knile stayed healthy in 2011, who knows what would have happened at the end of the season.

Before that........

Hatfield 1989.
This is my non-signature signature.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 14, 2015, 01:11:16 pm
2011 (way different styles of play and coaching though) and I'll add this about that season. Tyler showed what he was capable of against the Barners in 2010. Knile was a beast in 2010 once he passed everyone else on the depth chart. I had concerns after Knile's injury but took it on faith that the staff would figure out the tailback situation.

Had Knile stayed healthy in 2011, who knows what would have happened at the end of the season.

Before that........

Hatfield 1989.
In 2011 we still had Willie the Walrus as our DC, and Petrino held back the defense in practice.  I think the Petrino era was a one man show, albeit a VERY good one.  I don't think that staff was anywhere near as complete as this one.
   -Harry Solomon

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 14, 2015, 01:26:52 pm
In 2011 we still had Willie the Walrus as our DC, and Petrino held back the defense in practice.  I think the Petrino era was a one man show, albeit a VERY good one.  I don't think that staff was anywhere near as complete as this one.

Well....... it was my opinion.

WaltonCollege

Bielema has twice the budget petrino had but yes the staff is second to none, only mike smith I wasn't sure about but he is proving that he can pull kids out of Louisianna.

HogMantheIntruder

-Harry Solomon

presidenthog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 14, 2015, 01:26:52 pm
Let me say something about ol willie. Petrino made our defense bad by the way we practice but ol willie got us to the no. 36 defense with his hand tied behind his back. He was a pretty good d coordinator actually. Working for ol Bobby Is career suicide as a d coordinator. Also he was skinny and not a walrus

Großer Kriegschwein

flagstaffhog

From top to bottom, I'd have to say not since the Lou Holtz era....
Go HOGS Go!

Cinco de Hogo

When we go 25-5..... ;)

When we best Oklahoma like a drum is a playoff game... ;)

When we win a NC... ;)

GuvHog

I'd say it is without a doubt the best since the Frank Broyles era. It will be very difficult to top those stud built staffs the he had.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggish1

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 14, 2015, 03:12:53 pm
Best HC/Staff I've ever known at Arkansas.

You must have been born after the Broyles era.  Broyles placed several assistants and players in a position to become head coaches and they went forward to become very successful. I like CBB and what he is doing but he is only at the beginning of what Coach Broyles accomplished. IMO Coach Broyles is the best in Hog football history.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 14, 2015, 04:47:25 pm
You must have been born after the Broyles era.  Broyles placed several assistants and players in a position to become head coaches and they went forward to become very successful. I like CBB and what he is doing but he is only at the beginning of what Coach Broyles accomplished. IMO Coach Broyles is the best in Hog football history.

Hard to argue that. And I was born in his last year

HappyHogFan

I've "only" been a Hog fan since about 1986, but the is the first staff that I can remember where I wasn't thinking "why can't we get an upgrade here?"

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ZERO

Quote from: presidenthog on April 14, 2015, 01:41:11 pmWorking for ol Bobby Is career suicide as a d coordinator.

I would say Chavis at Texas A&M and Muschamp at Auburn are about to figure this out, but they luckily ingrained themselves as top DC's in a system that would allow them to, beforehand. I don't think Auburn's situation is as hopeless as aTm's, however.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ZERO

To add to my above post, it's worth noting that in Auburn's history, before the hiring of Gus Malzahn, Auburn was 300something-3 in games where they scored at least 30 points. Since Malzahn brought in his vaunted HUNH offense, Auburn has now lost an addition four games after scoring 30 or more points, and that's including a loss in the NC Game, and a loss in their last Bowl game. Three lost games in their 100+ year history of playing football, and GM manages to lose four in just two years.

That's not to say I don't think Malzahn is a good coach, but the chance of fielding a good or great defense at school like aTm and Auburn are nonexistent. The chances of fielding even a serviceable one are uncomfortably slim.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: presidenthog on April 14, 2015, 01:41:11 pm
Let me say something about ol willie. Petrino made our defense bad by the way we practice but ol willie got us to the no. 36 defense with his hand tied behind his back. He was a pretty good d coordinator actually. Working for ol Bobby Is career suicide as a d coordinator. Also he was skinny and not a walrus

Diabeetus
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LZH

We've won 10 games in two years fellers......

I was all-in on Petrino.  If BB can win 9-10 games this year, then I'll re-think my thinkin'.

gmarv

frank set the bar pretty high as far as staff goes.first year I was old enough to remember was 64.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: gmarv on April 14, 2015, 06:07:11 pm
frank set the bar pretty high as far as staff goes.first year I was old enough to remember was 64.

If my memory serves me, that was a damn good year to start with. My first real Razorback years started with Bowden Wyatt and the single wing offense. We have had a lot of good coaches during my lifetime including Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield, Petrino, Ford (was building the program), and even Nutt had some good years. Although we have suffered a lot in some years nothing can take away from Razorback football. I think CBB will get us back and I am thinking it is 2015.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 14, 2015, 05:48:49 pm

I was all-in on Petrino.  If BB can win 9-10 games this year, then I'll re-think my thinkin'.

Be truthful you were not as interested in Petrino's record as much as his choice in blondes.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HappyHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 14, 2015, 05:48:49 pm

AH you must not understand the 8 ball Petrino put our program behind with his little incident if you don't believe BB has done an outstanding job the last 2 years.

jgphillips3

lumphog

Quote from: presidenthog on April 14, 2015, 01:41:11 pm
Cooo Cooo CaChooo.....I agree with you

Justifiable Hogicide

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hawgzinbowlz

snoblind

OLDHOG

reddogjcss

Lou only other head coach and coaching staff I had confidence in.
I do fell really good about Coach B and staff.

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

31to6

Quote from: oldman1015 on April 14, 2015, 01:20:17 pm
lou holtz
Gotta go with Lou.

Hatfield won a lot of games in the SWC, but he was repeatedly exposed in the post-season.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

20hog11

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 07:59:24 pm
The end of the 2011 season after the cotton bowl...

Same here. Back then I thought we could compete with anybody not named LSU or Bama. I am finally to the point that I think that's true again except I think LSU and Bama can be beat now.

rzrbackramsfan

When we had bp going into smileys debut season.  We're all brainwashed to like our coach man.  Unless he is john l smith.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 14, 2015, 04:47:25 pm

Fine, but I only started watching the Hogs in 1997...

I know about the Broyles award.  It's given to the most accomplished assistant, which means Broyles was known for having great assistants.

I have great respect for those teams in his era, but his hay day was more than 50 years ago and college football is a different animal in the 21st century, especially the SEC.

CBB has put together a great staff for the current era.

riccoar

You gotta believe that Bielema is going to deliver that SEC West Co-Division Championship soon.  That's when you know you have arrived in the SEC.  I'm shocked no one has scooped up Nutt and his awesome knowledge.

<heavy sarcasm alert>

I'm excited to see 2015 play out.  Bielema is gonna be the one to deliver us the SECC, I believe.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Tusks

JFB was the master of the great coaching staff.

I am however still pisssed off that he let them talk him into throwing a pass instead of kicking the FG in the 69 game.

A FG wins the game. 
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 16, 2015, 08:42:27 am
I have great respect for those teams in his era, but his hay day was more than 50 years ago and college football is a different animal in the 21st century, especially the SEC.

No disrespect, but let me point out that players and coaches must do the best they can in the eras they are in.  It is just useless to say, "Well, Lance Alworth would not be as successful today". Even if true, what possible difference does it make?

I am sure Lance would like to be 21 years old in 2015 (so would I). But, really, what does it add to the analysis?

Back to the OP, I agree with some others that Lou's staff was the last time I "had this much faith in our coaching staff" . Not necessarily Lou, but Kiffin, Turner, Branch, Breaux, Horton.......solid.

Kiffin and Turner are clearly as good as anyone we have ever had at their positions. For what he accomplished with our punter and kickers, for YEARS, Turner might be the most valuable assistant to ever set foot on the UA campus. For about 15 seasons, we always had a future All-America K or P on campus.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

immahog

I would have to say NEVER ....I love what bobby did for our program but never trusted him ... faith in nutt ? LOL and before that I was to young to care about the coach or the staff
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog