Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holtz Out at ESPN

Started by Porked Tongue, April 12, 2015, 08:50:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

I am a big Holtz fan but when he took Ron Powlus out of hs and tried to make him an option qb  brutal just brutal.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Senility on April 13, 2015, 07:38:26 pm
I won't trash talk Lou Holtz; but I have a long memory - - and I can very clearly recall Lou quipping, "Arkansas may not be the end of the world, - - but you can sure see it from there".  As was the case with Nolan Richardson, I appreciate the good things Lou Holtz did during his stint at Arkansas; I do NOT, however, appreciate the snide, denigrating remarks.

LOL, well I noticed you didn't say he was wrong, LOL.  Or maybe you have never had the pleasure of visiting Eudora, Arkansas, LOL.

Senility

Quote from: jvanhorn on April 13, 2015, 08:12:36 pm
LOL, well I noticed you didn't say he was wrong, LOL.  Or maybe you have never had the pleasure of visiting Eudora, Arkansas, LOL.
I can understand the fact that Lou was in a snit when he made that well publicized remark; he wanted to get a lick in, - - and he did so.

Homer considerations notwithstanding, I would like to think that the good folk of Eudora, AR deserve a bit more credit than that.  But, - - - you're right; it boils down to a matter of perspective, doesn't it?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 12, 2015, 09:55:58 pm
Goodness gracious.

It's a part of who he is, part of his identity and part of what made him endearing to others.

Some sensitivity meters certainly have pegged out.

To clarify, I liked him here.  I appreciate his place in ARK football history.  I can't stand any coach from ND.  I hated his politics.  I can't stand some of the things he's done to women. At first, I liked him on ESPN but it didn't take long for me turn the channel.

Click that Highlight link and look at the balance of his work and life.

Liked Holtz as the UA coach.  Liked Holtz's witty comments afterwards as other people's coach.
Couldn't stand the "Sylvester The Cat" as an analyst.
Don't wish him ill whatsoever, but I'm glad he's not an analyst for ESPN any longer.  I hope May will be out soon as well.  While not distracting with his manner of speaking, he's usually inane, boring, and biased.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TNhogfan

Quote from: Senility on April 13, 2015, 08:20:37 pm
I can understand the fact that Lou was in a snit when he made that well publicized remark; he wanted to get a lick in, - - and he did so.

Homer considerations notwithstanding, I would like to think that the good folk of Eudora, AR deserve a bit more credit than that.  But, - - - you're right; it boils down to a matter of perspective, doesn't it?
His actual quote was, 'Fayetteville is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.'  He said it on the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson in early 1978 after the Orange Bowl win.  He made such an impression with his 'do right' rule and the victory that Carson had him on the show. 

Senility

Quote from: TNhogfan on April 13, 2015, 10:40:44 pm
His actual quote was, 'Fayetteville is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.'  He said it on the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson in early 1978 after the Orange Bowl win.  He made such an impression with his 'do right' rule and the victory that Carson had him on the show.
You are absolutely correct.  I claim artistic license rights to paraphrasing chosen vintage  quotations from the perspective of an aging Hog lover who unabashedly lives up to my username.

ChicoHog

Quote from: greenie on April 12, 2015, 09:51:33 pm
Why any hog fan would want to take a shot at Lou Holtz, I do not understand.  He was a really good coach for Arkansas, lead us to one of our greatest bowl victories, and is a decent guy to boot. 
Always liked him.  I was a Jets fan back in the day and when he was hired I was actually excited.  Of course that didn't work but then he went to Arkansas and he did fantastic.  I was in school from fall 79to spring 83 so he was the coach and I think he was the best coach we have ever had since Broyles retired.  Now I hope Bielema surpasses him and I think he can but I will always love Lou. Plus he went on to coach at my other favorite school, Notre Dame and that was sweet when they won in 1988.  I even read his biography.  Now it's time for him to retire.  Enjoy it Lou. 

DeltaBoy

I will Miss Dr. Lou
Lou crushing Mark May
and His colorful commentary.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Why any hog fan would want to take a shot at Lou Holtz, I do not understand.  He was a really good coach for Arkansas, lead us to one of our greatest bowl victories, and is a decent guy to boot.
If you've spent meaningful time around him and that is your opinion of him, fine. I suspect that you don't know him well, if at all.

I've seen him trash people for no apparent reason more times than I can remember. I will say this. He was an equal opportunity jerk. He would tear into a money booster as fast as he'd rip a student manager. The problem I had was, in these instances you could tell he was just in a bad mood and he was in a bad mood a lot.

This is not not personal with me. Lou only insulted me once in six years. It was not that big of a deal when it happened probably because I'd seen him do far worse to others.

I totally lost respect for him the day he told John McDonnell that he didn't know a thing about pressure because he didn't coach a real sport like football.

What did McDonnell to to warrant such a comment? They were standing in a buffet line at a downtown Ft. Worth hotel. The track team had just won an indoor meet at the Tarrant County Convention Center down the street. The football team was going to play TCU the next day. McDonnell said to Holtz, "Good luck tomorrow coach." That was his crime.

Lou has a screw loose.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2015, 03:04:16 pm
If you've spent meaningful time around him and that is your opinion of him, fine. I suspect that you don't know him well, if at all.

I've seen him trash people for no apparent reason more times than I can remember. I will say this. He was an equal opportunity jerk. He would tear into a money booster as fast as he'd rip a student manager. The problem I had was, in these instances you could tell he was just in a bad mood and he was in a bad mood a lot.

This is not not personal with me. Lou only insulted me once in six years. It was not that big of a deal when it happened probably because I'd seen him do far worse to others.

I totally lost respect for him the day he told John McDonnell that he didn't know a thing about pressure because he didn't coach a real sport like football.

What did McDonnell to to warrant such a comment? They were standing in a buffet line at a downtown Ft. Worth hotel. The track team had just won an indoor meet at the Tarrant County Convention Center down the street. The football team was going to play TCU the next day. McDonnell said to Holtz, "Good luck tomorrow coach." That was his crime.

Lou has a screw loose.

Saying he was a jerk is kind of mild. It is amazing sometimes how some people's public persona is the direct opposite of their more private one. Every time I see a coach or someone in a position of authority smiling, laughing, telling jokes and such on TV or in a public setting I take pause.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thirrdegreetusker

Lou is one of a kind. Very knowledgeable coach, but a poor recruiter. That's why he was fired here. JFB could tell the recruiting had gone south.

Lou coached at six colleges. At each college, he achieved his best record with a senior class he did not recruit.

When JFB stepped down from coaching, he left Lou Holtz one of the greatest collections of football talent ever seen on campus (Dan Hampton, Ron Calcagni, Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Steve Heim, Greg Kolenda, Jimmy Walker, Larry Jackson, Steve Little, Leotis Harris, Mark Lewis, Roland Sales, etc.....) Those players would win 30 games in the three seasons following JFBs retirement. With his own recruits, it took Lou four more years to win 30 games.

Sivad

Lou saw through Houston Dale Nutt and had no use for him.
That's worth a few points too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sivad on April 14, 2015, 03:53:28 pm
Lou saw through Houston Dale Nutt and had no use for him.
That's worth a few points too.

How's that? Nutty transferred without Lou knowing until he was gone. He then hired him back as a GA coach before he went on to being a "regular" assistant elsewhere. So as a player for Lou he wasn't a starter and was relegated to the bench..............IF he had "saw through him" then why would he hire him backs a GA. It wouldn't make sense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: GuvHog on April 13, 2015, 09:38:11 am
Lou was a great field and game day coach

I had season tickets for Lou's entire career here. His teams were usually well-prepared, but he did not seem to adjust on the fly very well. I could be wrong, but I think he had very few big "come-from-behind" wins. If we were behind at half, we generally lost. Did not seem to come out with any significant "second-half adjustments".

Now, part of that may have been the twin veer option offense he ran. Just not conducive to playing catch-up.

greenie

Well, this thread has taught me a lot about Holtz that I didn't know.  When I was in school, our coaches were Holtz, Sutton, Debriyn, and McDonnell...all have held a special place for me as a fan. After taking the time to read this thread and some of the provided links (especially the post by Mike Irwin, who provided real 1st-hand experience with Lou), I yield to those who have welcomed his retirement.  Sometimes its difficult when the curtain has been pulled back, revealing the dark side of one of the heroes of your youth. Regardless, CBB makes it easier to move forward

SooiecidetillNuttgone

April 14, 2015, 06:00:40 pm #66 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:13:14 pm by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 13, 2015, 08:39:59 am
I saw him make a complete a^& out of himself while at South Carolina during an interview with a young girl.  He was deliberately trying to show her up.  I've despised him ever since I saw that video.

Maybe he was showing up an individual who didn't deserve to have that position over someone else that had equal reporting/interviewing skills but also had a good grasp of football knowledge.

I don't know the incident, so I have no real idea one way or another, but your statement seems a little out of line with what I've seen from him over the years.

EDIT:
Interesting story from Irwin about the McDonnell incident.  Doesn't make any real sense at all.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Porked Tongue

That video is in a link on the opening post.

Sivad

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 14, 2015, 03:57:07 pm
How's that? Nutty transferred without Lou knowing until he was gone.
Lou first saw Nutt was no QB; once famously said Nutt was too dumb to call plays and too slow to run them; there's a story out there of Lou telling Nutt how pitiful he was while his GA; surely you saw how Lou publicly treated Nutt in WMS during the SCarolina v Ark game. There are others out there.

SemperHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 14, 2015, 03:49:21 pm
Lou is one of a kind. Very knowledgeable coach, but a poor recruiter. That's why he was fired here. JFB could tell the recruiting had gone south.

Lou coached at six colleges. At each college, he achieved his best record with a senior class he did not recruit.

When JFB stepped down from coaching, he left Lou Holtz one of the greatest collections of football talent ever seen on campus (Dan Hampton, Ron Calcagni, Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Steve Heim, Greg Kolenda, Jimmy Walker, Larry Jackson, Steve Little, Leotis Harris, Mark Lewis, Roland Sales, etc.....) Those players would win 30 games in the three seasons following JFBs retirement. With his own recruits, it took Lou four more years to win 30 games.
There are some that think Lou's affiliation with Jesse Helms, see my link above, was costing him African American recruits.  There are even rumors it was the reason Keith Jackson Sr. Didn't come here.  Again no one knows for sure these are just some of the things that went around about Lou's "problems" recruiting.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Senility on April 13, 2015, 11:41:26 pm
You are absolutely correct.  I claim artistic license rights to paraphrasing chosen vintage  quotations from the perspective of an aging Hog lover who unabashedly lives up to my username.
I am right there with you.  My wife wonders why I can remember a game from 40 years ago, but not what she sent me to the store to get. 
I was ready for Lou to depart after going to Fort Worth in '81 and seeing the Hogs played a totally lackluster game.  The end result was losing to TCU for the first time since the '50s and the Hogs looked like they were just sleepwalking.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 14, 2015, 06:00:40 pm
Maybe he was showing up an individual who didn't deserve to have that position over someone else that had equal reporting/interviewing skills but also had a good grasp of football knowledge.

I don't know the incident, so I have no real idea one way or another, but your statement seems a little out of line with what I've seen from him over the years.

EDIT:
Interesting story from Irwin about the McDonnell incident.  Doesn't make any real sense at all.

Or maybe he was walking down the yellow brick road road when a mean witch and some monkeys attacked him.

The incident with the young lady is online the last time I checked. You might want to look it up before you start dreaming up explanations for something you haven't seen.

As for what he said to McDonnell it makes perfect sense if you know Holtz.

Mike Irwin

GoHogs1091

Not a good few days for Holtz.  First, this aspect with ESPN, and second, the vaunted golf course of the Golf Club where Holtz is a member (and also where Frank Broyles is a member), just got absolutely shredded up/carved up by a 21 year old and a 44 year old (Mickelson).

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2015, 08:22:59 pm
Or maybe he was walking down the yellow brick road road when a mean witch and some monkeys attacked him.

The incident with the young lady is online the last time I checked. You might want to look it up before you start dreaming up explanations for something you haven't seen.

As for what he said to McDonnell it makes perfect sense if you know Holtz.

ERGO, the statement of, "I don't know".   

Considering my age, the Holtz I saw was the one where he was a mostly funny head coach of the Razorbacks.  We won games.  I liked him.  That's about it.  I was unaware of anything involving any media person of any age at any venue.

Sheesh.  Even with statements showing that you're just pondering possibilities you still get blown up on here.
And this time by a member that typically just deals with the facts, not attacks.
His response to me:

jgphillips3

Holtz was the first head coach I followed.  I was tired of him by 1983 because you could see our recruiting had slipped and we weren't even close to getting back to 77 levels and it seemed like his shtick was wearing thin.  I was happy when Hatfield was hired.  However, it's only now, 30 years later, that we are beginning to stockpile the kind of athletes we had in 1977.

smb

I agree.
GeorgiaHOG

Mike Irwin

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 15, 2015, 12:21:13 am
ERGO, the statement of, "I don't know".   

Considering my age, the Holtz I saw was the one where he was a mostly funny head coach of the Razorbacks.  We won games.  I liked him.  That's about it.  I was unaware of anything involving any media person of any age at any venue.

Sheesh.  Even with statements showing that you're just pondering possibilities you still get blown up on here.
And this time by a member that typically just deals with the facts, not attacks.
What you see him do to that TV intern is a small sample of what  I saw for six years. It's not that Holtz or any other coach doesn't have a right to blow off steam from time to time. It's that he acted like he was the king of the world and everyone around him was a lowly peon. There is noting more infuriating than watching some would be big shot  throwing his weight around. But Holtz actually WAS a big shot and people like that normally don't act like jackasses in public. If you'd ever watched coach Broyles deal with people you'd understand why it was so shocking and frankly embarrassing to watch him pull one of those, I'm Lou and you just pissed me off, deals.

So when somebody who doesn't know what he was like starts making excuses for him it kinda bothers me. If you watch and listen to that video you can hear that poor girl crying when the incident was over. What was Lou's issue? Well, he apparently didn't want to put on a wireless mic so she agreed to hold it. Then he got mad because he was going to go live in a news segment instead of a sports segment. After he had held things up by insulting her several times he got mad because it was taking too long for the TV station to take the live shot. Well that poor little girl had nothing to do with that. There was a producer back at the TV station who controlled that. That producer had no idea that Lou was putting the intern through hell out at the scene of the live shot. So finally somebody, probably the cameraman who had lost patience with Lou's bullying, just told him to forget it, leaving the girl crying and apologizing, I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

There is just no excuse for that. None.

All of you people who thought Lou was so funny on TV, that's the real Lou Holtz right there.

Inhogswetrust

April 15, 2015, 08:24:07 am #78 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:19:07 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Sivad on April 14, 2015, 07:06:31 pm
Lou first saw Nutt was no QB; once famously said Nutt was too dumb to call plays and too slow to run them; there's a story out there of Lou telling Nutt how pitiful he was while his GA; surely you saw how Lou publicly treated Nutt in WMS during the SCarolina v Ark game. There are others out there.

Nutt was definitely not a great D1 or smart QB. He also didn't fit in with Lou's style of offense. BUT IF he saw those things in him and such then WHY would he hire him back as a GA AFTER he ran off in the middle of the night? Perhaps pressure was applied to do so or perhaps he felt sorry for him and wanted to make amends. I'm only speculating since I've not heard an actual reason.

havok

Always thought ESPN as a matter of disclosure.. should have Flashed the words "Notre Dame Biased Spokesman" under Holtz when he spoke...

Undoubtedly, he was gonna steer every conversation (No matter the subject) to a point where he could promote and/or push Notre Dame as the team that should play for National Championship.. Even if their Win/loss was 6-6.

Inhogswetrust

The straw that broke the camels back for my Dad was he got infuriated when the Defensive coaching fires went down. Yes that year the D was not good but neither was the O. My Dad knew the Lindsey family and thought Don was treated wrong in that incident. Lou showed an uncanny lack of decorum and respect in how that went down. The straw that broke the camels back for me was how he treated some players and others around the program AND some fans.

EastexHawg

Quote from: greenie on April 14, 2015, 05:05:53 pm
Sometimes its difficult when the curtain has been pulled back, revealing the dark side of one of the heroes of your youth.

If you're talking about Arkansas coaches and have been following the Hogs as long as you apparently have, you've probably noticed a pattern...that the curtain never gets pulled back until they are gone.  While they are here they're great representatives of the university and leaders of men.  As soon as they leave, the curtain isn't just pulled back...it is shredded and burned as they are revealed for the fatally flawed nincompoops and miscreants they allegedly are.

Nutt is the notable exception as quite a few identified him as the incompetent moron he was before he left. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2015, 03:04:16 pm
I totally lost respect for him the day he told John McDonnell that he didn't know a thing about pressure because he didn't coach a real sport like football. They were standing in a buffet line at a downtown Ft. Worth hotel. The track team had just won an indoor meet at the Tarrant County Convention Center down the street. The football team was going to play TCU the next day. McDonnell said to Holtz, "Good luck tomorrow coach." That was his crime.

Lou has a screw loose.

McDonnell's 42 national championships (which include 19 in indoor track, 12 in outdoor track and 11 in cross country) are more than any coach in any sport in the history of college athletics.

It's obvious who's ceiling was higher.
This is my non-signature signature.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: TNhogfan on April 14, 2015, 07:20:32 pm

I was ready for Lou to depart after going to Fort Worth in '81 and seeing the Hogs played a totally lackluster game.  The end result was losing to TCU for the first time since the '50s and the Hogs looked like they were just sleepwalking.

A GA that graduated high school here was on staff at UA when we lost that game to TCU. The GA swears that, back at Fayetteville later that week, Holtz went kinda berserk, to the point of laying down on the floor, kicking and screaming, saying "Things have gone to sh*t since I got saved!!!!"

Mike Irwin

I talked to a river valley kid that Lou recruited in the early 80's. The kid's dad was a preacher. When the kid told Lou that he felt like the Lord was telling him to go to Baylor Lou said, If the Lord is telling you that it's time for me to become an atheist.

Funny maybe but it didn't play well in that particular recruiting area or with the kid's coaches.

The Jesse Helms thing might have been embarrassing but Lou was fired because he had lost the ability to recruit in Arkansas. Frank was going to fire him the day after the SMU loss in 83. Instead Lou fired some of his assistants to placate Frank and the word went out that Lou would be back.

The SID made Lou available to the media on Tuesday of that week. There were five or six of us in the Hall Of Fame Room taking turns talking to Lou who was sitting on a couch.

A weekend sports anchor from KTUL had made the trip over with a cameraman. Lou took one look at him and started going off claiming that the kid was only there because he thought Lou was going to be fired.

It was insane. We all knew he was supposedly going to keep his job.

Lou totally embarrassed the kid in front of the rest of us before finally letting him do the interview.

The next day Frank changed his mind and fired Lou. It wasn't just because of the incident with the KTUL sports anchor. Frank had called some high school coaches in Arkansas to find out why the best players were going to OU. Those coaches told Frank that the high school coaches of Arkansas were tired of being treated like crap by Lou.

That was the end of him at the U of A.

Großer Kriegschwein

You fill in a lot of gaps-in-information for all of us Mike.

I appreciate it.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jek Tono Porkins

Lou creates new language:
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 15, 2015, 02:18:16 pm
I talked to a river valley kid that Lou recruited in the early 80's. The kid's dad was a preacher. When the kid told Lou that he felt like the Lord was telling him to go to Baylor Lou said, If the Lord is telling you that it's time for me to become an atheist.

Funny maybe but it didn't play well in that particular recruiting area or with the kid's coaches.

The Jesse Helms thing might have been embarrassing but Lou was fired because he had lost the ability to recruit in Arkansas. Frank was going to fire him the day after the SMU loss in 83. Instead Lou fired some of his assistants to placate Frank and the word went out that Lou would be back.

The SID made Lou available to the media on Tuesday of that week. There were five or six of us in the Hall Of Fame Room taking turns talking to Lou who was sitting on a couch.

A weekend sports anchor from KTUL had made the trip over with a cameraman. Lou took one look at him and started going off claiming that the kid was only there because he thought Lou was going to be fired.

It was insane. We all knew he was supposedly going to keep his job.

Lou totally embarrassed the kid in front of the rest of us before finally letting him do the interview.

The next day Frank changed his mind and fired Lou. It wasn't just because of the incident with the KTUL sports anchor. Frank had called some high school coaches in Arkansas to find out why the best players were going to OU. Those coaches told Frank that the high school coaches of Arkansas were tired of being treated like crap by Lou.

That was the end of him at the U of A.

Lou Holtz and BP. Separated at birth?

hogcard1964

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 15, 2015, 09:21:18 am
If you're talking about Arkansas coaches and have been following the Hogs as long as you apparently have, you've probably noticed a pattern...that the curtain never gets pulled back until they are gone.  While they are here they're great representatives of the university and leaders of men.  As soon as they leave, the curtain isn't just pulled back...it is shredded and burned as they are revealed for the fatally flawed nincompoops and miscreants they allegedly are.

Nutt is the notable exception as quite a few identified him as the incompetent moron he was before he left.

Don't forget Richardson losing his mind on camera in 2002 and blaming "race" for just about everything in his life.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 16, 2015, 12:14:54 pm
Don't forget Richardson losing his mind on camera in 2002 and blaming "race" for just about everything in his life.
You could not find a bigger contrast in Razorback coaches than Lou and Nolan.

Fans who saw Lou on TV thought he was warm and funny. Nolan came across as an angry complainer.

In person I don't think I ever heard Lou say anything funny. He was usually chewing somebody out (and I'm not referring to his players).

Face to face Nolan was one of the kindest Razorback coaches I've known. He did not display a trace of ego. He made time for fans he did not know. He signed autographs before practice, posed for pictures and engaged in small talk with them. He told hilarious stories that would sometimes leave me hurting from laughing so much.

I still go by his ranch to visit with him from time to time. I always leave in a better mood than the one I arrived with.

I would walk across a street to avoid Lou if I saw him coming my way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 16, 2015, 01:14:39 pm
You could not find a bigger contrast in Razorback coaches that Lou and Nolan.

Fans who saw Lou on TV thought he was warm and funny. Nolan came across as an angry complainer.

In person I don't think I ever heard Lou say anything funny. He was usually chewing somebody out (and I'm not referring to his players).

Face to face Nolan was one of the kindest Razorback coaches I've known. There wasn't a trace of ego. He made time for fans he did not know. He signed autographs before practice, posed for pictures and engaged in small talk with them. He told hilarious stories than would sometimes leave me hurting from laughing so much.

I still go by his ranch to visit with him from time to time. I always leave in a better mood than the one I arrived with.

Agree.........The only thing different is I would walk past Lou and NOT change my route because of him. IF he said something I'd say something back at him. Good or bad. He is no better than anyone else (despite him thinking he is) and I'm not gonna give him the satisfaction of making me change my direction and path............

hogcard1964

I don't like either man. Nor BP.

ChicoHog

You could not find a bigger contrast in Razorback coaches than Lou and Nolan.

Face to face Nolan was one of the kindest Razorback coaches I've known. He did not display a trace of ego. He made time for fans he did not know. He signed autographs before practice, posed for pictures and engaged in small talk with them. He told hilarious stories that would sometimes leave me hurting from laughing so much.

I'm glad to hear that about Richardson. I've always been upset the way he left and he was always on his soapbox and complaining about stuff including his employer.    I wish his public persona would have been half as courteous and congenial as his private one.  Thanks for the info Mike. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 16, 2015, 09:50:24 pm
I'm glad to hear that about Richardson. I've always been upset the way he left and he was always on his soapbox and complaining about stuff including his employer.    I wish his public persona would have been half as courteous and congenial as his private one.  Thanks for the info Mike.
You could take that movie line, "What we have is a failure to communicate" and apply it to the entire time Nolan Richardson coached at the University of Arkansas. I found out early on why Nolan pushed racial diversity issues in his press conferences. He was raised by a woman who had suffered through the worst of the Jim Crow era. Near the end of her life Nolan's grandmother commanded him to speak out against the racism that had scarred her life. He told me, knowing what she went through If I didn't didn't do what she asked I might as well have spit on her grave.

If I found this out why couldn't Frank Broyles and three or four high level boosters who hated it when he mixed politics with basketball? Because they did not ask, that's why.

Instead of supporting him they attacked him behind the scenes. I can't tell you how many times I was told, he needs to just shut up and coach basketball. He's making us look bad.

This went on for 17 years and in the end it wore Nolan out. He was ready to be fired.

I can tell you that Nolan is in a much better place these days. He can sit back and see that the issues he spoke out against are no longer controversial. There are black head coaches all over college basketball. It's hard to believe that at one time he was the only one in a major sport at a major college institution in the entire south.

Obviously Nolan is proud of the 94 national championship but he also knows that kept his promise to his "old granny." Coaching basketball was a breeze compared to that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2015, 07:02:00 am
You could take that movie line, "What we have is a failure to communicate" and apply it to the entire time Nolan Richardson coached at the University of Arkansas. I found out early on why Nolan pushed racial diversity issues in his press conferences. He was raised by a woman who had suffered through the worst of the Jim Crow era. Near the end of her life Nolan's grandmother commanded him to speak out against the racism that had scarred her life. He told me, knowing what she went through If I didn't didn't do what she asked I might as well have spit on her grave.

If I found this out why couldn't Frank Broyles and three or four high level boosters who hated it when he mixed politics with basketball? Because they did not ask, that's why.

Instead of supporting him they attacked him behind the scenes. I can't tell you how many times I was told, he needs to just shut up and coach basketball. He's making us look bad.

This went on for 17 years and in the end it wore Nolan out. He was ready to be fired.

I can tell you that Nolan is in a much better place these days. He can sit back and see that the issues he spoke out against are no longer controversial. There are black head coaches all over college basketball. It's hard to believe that at one time he was the only one in a major sport at a major college institution in the entire south.

Obviously Nolan is proud of the 94 national championship but he also knows that kept his promise to his "old granny." Coaching basketball was a breeze compared to that.

Now THAT, folks, is what you call some perspective.  +1 Mike.

thirrdegreetusker

I have heard this from several people. That, one on one, NR is one of the most genuinely kind, compassionate people you would ever meet. Yes, a VERY sharp contrast to his "pay me my money..." moment.

I doubt if anyone else remembers, but after his "pay me my money and I'm gone" tirade on a Monday(?), the Hogs played a February 7 game, at MissSt, that the Hogs lost. 

In his post-game interview, everything NR said struck me as a gracious, heart-felt farewell. I thought, "He's retiring on his own terms". Unfortunately, I was wrong.

jtw732

I have nothing against him as a coach but I didn't like him on tv. He nutt hugged all over ND and SC but never had anything positive to say about us. You could tell he held a serious grudge against the UA.

wholehog92

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2015, 07:02:00 am

Thank you for that Mike.  It closes some gaps I had in understanding.  I know him well enough to back up your stories of his behavior in private, but not well enough to know something like that.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

nchogg

Quote from: jtw732 on April 17, 2015, 11:24:12 am
I have nothing against him as a coach but I didn't like him on tv. He nutt hugged all over ND and SC but never had anything positive to say about us. You could tell he held a serious grudge against the UA.
There was much healing that needed to take place. Jeff Long healed those wounds.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jtw732 on April 17, 2015, 11:24:12 am

Yes, and he was fired from both Arkansas and Dame, which made zero sense.