Started by Porked Tongue, April 12, 2015, 08:50:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lahawg1

About time the senile old XXXXXXX

Hoggish1

Full time into the ministry...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: sowmonella on April 12, 2015, 09:17:41 pm
I agree the OP was classless. You did take it too far in your response.

LOL..! He did attack him like his name is Skip Holtz..!  LOL..!  I agree as well, but dang man.. He went from 0 to 99 in a SNAP..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

greenie

Why any hog fan would want to take a shot at Lou Holtz, I do not understand.  He was a really good coach for Arkansas, lead us to one of our greatest bowl victories, and is a decent guy to boot. 

Porked Tongue

Goodness gracious.

It's a part of who he is, part of his identity and part of what made him endearing to others.

Some sensitivity meters certainly have pegged out.

To clarify, I liked him here.  I appreciate his place in ARK football history.  I can't stand any coach from ND.  I hated his politics.  I can't stand some of the things he's done to women. At first, I liked him on ESPN but it didn't take long for me turn the channel.

Click that Highlight link and look at the balance of his work and life.

Breems

Best Lou Holtz impression ever @1:30.

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

regi

He said last summer that 2014 would be his last year.

greenie

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 12, 2015, 09:55:58 pm
Goodness gracious.

It's a part of who he is, part of his identity and part of what made him endearing to others.

To clarify, I liked him here.  I appreciate his place in ARK football history.  I can't stand any coach from ND.  I hated his politics.  I can't stand some of the things he's done to women. At first, I liked him on ESPN but it didn't take long for me turn the channel.

Now I get it.

Porked Tongue

ZERO

I could tell before I even clicked the title that this was going to take no time to degenerate into "Screw Holtz and his lisp" vs. "respect your elders and a former Razorback coach."
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hoglady

Well, I like Holtz and will miss him.
He's a funny guy with a lot of personality.
Not too many of those around these days.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The Divine Swine

April 13, 2015, 04:55:28 am #12 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:08:12 am by The Divine Swine
Holtz is a living legend. Both Razorback and otherwise. (OU 1978)
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Steef

I watch all football with the sound off, ever since the Florida game when Verne asked Gary, "So, is that an incomplete pass?"

So I don't have a strong opinion about Lou's efforts as a sports caster. Nor do I think a coach should be judged on his personal politics, but rather his coaching and integrity.

Lou coached what was, in my opinion, the finest Hog game in our history. The 78 Orange Bowl. After...suspending three players because it was the right thing to do.

That is what I remember about Lou, first and most.

Pork Twain

Gotta love what he did as a coach, but hate to hear him on the television.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

nchogg

I liked Coach Holtz and was disappointed when he was fired from Arkansas. He seemed to hold it aginst the UofA. He was over opinionated.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: nchogg on April 13, 2015, 06:42:16 am
I liked Coach Holtz and was disappointed when he was fired from Arkansas. He seemed to hold it aginst the UofA. He was over opinionated.
This^^^^^^
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

RacinRazorback

Great coach in his day. Always seemed to hold something against us and it showed. I won't miss him on TV.

TrueBlue

April 13, 2015, 08:04:33 am #18 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:27:42 am by TrueBlue

The reason ole Lou won't be back on ESPN is because he is throwing his hat in the ring for the White House.

Lou Holtz for Prethident!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 12, 2015, 09:55:58 pm
Goodness gracious.

I saw him make a complete a^& out of himself while at South Carolina during an interview with a young girl.  He was deliberately trying to show her up.  I've despised him ever since I saw that video.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 13, 2015, 06:35:31 am
Gotta love what he did as a coach, but hate to hear him on the television.

Lou was a great field and game day coach but his recruiting left a lot to be desired.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

I hope Lou enjoys his retirement.  I enjoyed him every since he was at UA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jry04

Quote from: steefhog on April 13, 2015, 06:23:43 am
I watch all football with the sound off, ever since the Florida game when Verne asked Gary, "So, is that an incomplete pass?"

So I don't have a strong opinion about Lou's efforts as a sports caster. Nor do I think a coach should be judged on his personal politics, but rather his coaching and integrity.

Lou coached what was, in my opinion, the finest Hog game in our history. The 78 Orange Bowl. After...suspending three players because it was the right thing to do.

That was possibly the dumbest question I have ever heard during a sporting event. Childs ran 50 yards with the ball, and then Verne asks if it was possibly incomplete. He has become worse each year.

bigstyx

Lou doesn't generally speak negatively about Arkansas. I have heard him as a key note speaker at many events and in different parts of the country. What he does say is that he didn't understand why he got fired here and to this day, Frank has never given him a reason. He'll find work if he wants it. I don't think it's in him to just take it to the house. He'll find a part time gig where he can do guest commenting. He does love to share his opinions.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Arkansas is not Bama, so we don't claim it, but that game DID win us a version of the National Championship.  FACT awarded it to us, though I don't have the time to find out who FACT is/was.

EFBAB

LRRandy

Quote from: jry04 on April 13, 2015, 09:44:33 am
That was possibly the dumbest question I have ever heard during a sporting event. Childs ran 50 yards with the ball, and then Verne asks if it was possibly incomplete. He has become worse each year.
boy do I agree with that. It's hard for me to believe there isn't someone better that could take Verne's place. He is just bumbling along now and hard to listen to.

I will miss Lou. With the exception of his Notre Dame flag waving I always enjoy listening to him. I loved him sticking it to Mark May every chance he got. I really dislike Mark May.
This is fun, isn't it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on April 13, 2015, 10:32:02 am
Arkansas is not Bama, so we don't claim it, but that game DID win us a version of the National Championship.  FACT awarded it to us, though I don't have the time to find out who FACT is/was.

EFBAB

An individual named Rothman. He was a statistician and one of the people that designed the BCS. He did his own thing from like 68-2006.

FACT is: (Foundation for the Analysis of Competitions and Tournaments)

"Mr. Rothman's ranking system was pretty accurate on a weekly basis. It is a common practice for the parties of interest to look at ranking data and look for values held by each participating team and measured either favorably or against that team. Mr. Rothman believed that it was evident that the success and validity of his system which performed on a predictive basis arose because he used the margin of victory as a factor."
This is my non-signature signature.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenie on April 12, 2015, 09:51:33 pm
Why any hog fan would want to take a shot at Lou Holtz, I do not understand.  He was a really good coach for Arkansas, lead us to one of our greatest bowl victories, and is a decent guy to boot. 

I know more than one player that played for him at the UA. He may not be the decent guy you think he is.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thebignasty

Whoever it is that has the wipe down the desk after Lou's been in is going to rejoice at this news.

SemperHawg

No one ever brings up the Jesse Helms stuff, that has always puzzled me.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: nchogg on April 13, 2015, 06:42:16 am
Actually last year at the end Lou was picking Arkansas to beat everyone. He loved how fundamentally sound we were on defense.  He did take his shots at us before that though.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 13, 2015, 12:53:16 pm
Otis Screams!!! lol

WOW! How did I ever miss that when it was aired. THAT is a true ESPN Classic. Great job and Thanks Bionic!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogmeier

Verne, please say you're next! 

hogcard1964

Didn't Notre Dame also fire him?

HOGSWEAT

GuvHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 13, 2015, 11:18:00 am
No one ever brings up the Jesse Helms stuff, that has always puzzled me.

Why does it puzzle you???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SemperHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on April 13, 2015, 01:52:49 pm
Why does it puzzle you???
In the Era of internet and Social Media microwave society, anytime some media outlet could make a quick buck on controversy, especially someone in the public sports eye like he has been the last few years.

rickm1976

EastexHawg

Why don't we throw in a couple of jokes about Corso's stroke while we're at it?

I hope no one on this board ever gets old and becomes "less the man he used to be".  Probably just walk off into the hills and shoot himself so his lack of youthful dexterity and nimbleness won't disgust him so much...

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 13, 2015, 02:18:43 pm

I hope no one on this board ever gets old and becomes "less the man he used to be".  Probably just walk off into the hills and shoot himself so his lack of youthful dexterity and nimbleness won't disgust him so much...

Thank you.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

seasonhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on April 13, 2015, 02:21:46 pm
Thank you.

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 13, 2015, 02:18:43 pm

I hope no one on this board ever gets old and becomes "less the man he used to be".  Probably just walk off into the hills and shoot himself so his lack of youthful dexterity and nimbleness won't dyisgust him so much...

+ 1

wholehog92

Everyone I've spoken to that worked with and played for Lou Holtz said his public image is a long ways from the way he behaved in private.  From the tone of some of the posts in this thread, they may be posting.

The interview where he was trying to show up the young lady was brought up.  That's more typical of what I've heard.  If you are going to treat people like garbage when you are on top, expect a big pile of refuse for your landing when you fall.

He did get good results while coaching here and he did hold the players to a high standard.  I understand why fans appreciate that.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Mike Irwin

He was a play caller on the order of Bobby Petrino but unfortunately similar to Petrino in recruiting as well. I'm not a psychologist and I try not to play one on TV but anyone who spends time around Holtz can see that he has some sort of emotional disorder. I've seen him tear into people who'd done nothing more than be in his line of sight.

Maybe he got his butt beat a lot as a kid. People like that tend to develop a God complex when put in positions of authority as adults. I've worked for a couple of them.

HogScoutMaster

Razorbacks new OC

I like me some Lou, bunch of INGRATES !
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 13, 2015, 04:48:04 pm
He was a play caller on the order of Bobby Petrino but unfortunately similar to Petrino in recruiting as well. I'm not a psychologist and I try not to play one on TV but anyone who spends time around Holtz can see that he has some sort of emotional disorder. I've seen him tear into people who'd done nothing more than be in his line of sight.

Maybe he got his butt beat a lot as a kid. People like that tend to develop a God complex when put in positions of authority as adults. I've worked for a couple of them.

Pretty good analogy. Good coach. Not so good off the field. I've also worked for some of the God complex type's. Life's too short and there's always other jobs out there to do so.

DLUXHOG

Agree.... and I'll bet if he were hooked up to a lie detector that he would admit that was his finest game ever....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Cinco de Hogo

I have a certain amount of respect for Lou albeit a pretty narrow view and I don't really have much of a dog in this thread but I guess it's telling that I have always turned him off or tuned him out.

Sivad

Quote from: bigstyx on April 13, 2015, 10:21:14 am
Lou doesn't generally speak negatively about Arkansas. What he does say is that he didn't understand why he got fired here and to this day, Frank has never given him a reason.
Lou knows why he got fired. It was his ill-advised public endorsement of Jesse Helms, considered in many quarters as a racist.
That move aside, I always liked Lou Holtz, as a coach at Arkansas and then Notre Dame, and enjoyed his "different" TV style and commentary.

Senility

I won't trash talk Lou Holtz; but I have a long memory - - and I can very clearly recall Lou quipping, "Arkansas may not be the end of the world, - - but you can sure see it from there".  As was the case with Nolan Richardson, I appreciate the good things Lou Holtz did during his stint at Arkansas; I do NOT, however, appreciate the snide, denigrating remarks.