Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ex-NFL DB: Mom said I owed her $1 mil after draft.

Started by Jek Tono Porkins, April 12, 2015, 01:53:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jek Tono Porkins

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25144070/ex-nfl-db-my-mom-said-i-owed-her-1m-after-i-was-drafted

I thought this was a little crazy. Phillip, Buchanon, 17th round draft pick in 2002 gets call from his mom after he's drafted by the Raiders, whose house he moved out of when he was 17, saying he owes her $1 mil for raising him. He said no and instead bought her a big house, but says she's going to have to pay the maintenance when the mortgage is paid off. She complained, saying she couldn't afford that, so he offered to buy her a smaller house or give her $15,000 in cash. She opted for the $15,000 in cash.

He recently wrote a book giving advice to pro athletes and other people that rapidly come into large amounts of wealth. I've always thought it was crazy that pro athletes can make millions of dollars a year and still go broke, but you can see how it happens. Basically, you become an ATM machine for your friends and family.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Professor Psychosis

Yeah, that's why if I ever won the lottery or something, I'd claim it anonymously and never let on to my friends or my family that I was rich.  You'd always be asked for stuff, and you'd be treated as a horrible person for not handing out money every time they had a minor crisis.  Though, if they had a major legitimate crisis, I might donate some money to them...anonymously, of course.

I'm never going to win the lottery, though, so it doesn't matter.

ricepig

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 12, 2015, 02:00:44 pm
Yeah, that's why if I ever won the lottery or something, I'd claim it anonymously and never let on to my friends or my family that I was rich.  You'd always be asked for stuff, and you'd be treated as a horrible person for not handing out money every time they had a minor crisis.  Though, if they had a major legitimate crisis, I might donate some money to them...anonymously, of course.

Well, choose carefully which state you win the lottery in, in lots of states, you can't  claim it anonymously, haha.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2015, 02:07:11 pm
Well, choose carefully which state you win the lottery in, in lots of states, you can't  claim it anonymously, haha.

Well, darn.  Good thing most people I know don't pay attention to the news then!

jdelo77

Lottery winners say random people call you and come to your house with sob stories about them dying or their kids dying and they need money or random family members need this or that , or worse you claim it then people try to rob you or kill you for it ....

ricepig

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 12, 2015, 02:10:13 pm
Well, darn.  Good thing most people I know don't pay attention to the news then!

Yeah, I think that 1:174,000,000 has you covered anyway, lol.

HiggiePiggy

Heh if I won the lottery I would split it among my parents brother and sister.  Then tell them if they run out do not ask me for more since we all had an equal amount. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Swinehart

Dear Higgie,

I am so happy to hear that if you ever win the lottery that you would split it equally with all members of our family.

Since you currently have seven hogs, why don't you give every member of our family a hog.

Answer: That's not fair . . . because you KNOW I have seven hogs!

Danny J

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 12, 2015, 01:53:57 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25144070/ex-nfl-db-my-mom-said-i-owed-her-1m-after-i-was-drafted

I thought this was a little crazy. Phillip, Buchanon, 17th round draft pick in 2002 gets call from his mom after he's drafted by the Raiders, whose house he moved out of when he was 17, saying he owes her $1 mil for raising him. He said no and instead bought her a big house, but says she's going to have to pay the maintenance when the mortgage is paid off. She complained, saying she couldn't afford that, so he offered to buy her a smaller house or give her $15,000 in cash. She opted for the $15,000 in cash.

He recently wrote a book giving advice to pro athletes and other people that rapidly come into large amounts of wealth. I've always thought it was crazy that pro athletes can make millions of dollars a year and still go broke, but you can see how it happens. Basically, you become an ATM machine for your friends and family.
Reminds me of the movie "million dollar baby" where she buys her mom a house and her mom gets pissed because she will not be able to claim her dead baby on welfare any more now that she will have to declare her house as income.

HighcountryHog

You disappear, for like 2 years.  Get your affairs in order, enjoy some family time or take the vacation you always wanted.  Then, come back and operate a non profit that gives charitable donations to legitimate causes.  spend the rest on hookers and blow. 

last part is a joke. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

hawgfan4life

Reminds me of movie line from a western.  Man had thousands of dollars that had been stolen and authorities asked where the money was.  He said, I blew half of it on whiskey and hookers and wasted the rest. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: highcount_hog on April 12, 2015, 04:07:49 pm
You disappear, for like 2 years.  Get your affairs in order, enjoy some family time or take the vacation you always wanted.  Then, come back and operate a non profit that gives charitable donations to legitimate causes.  spend the rest on hookers and blow. 

last part is a joke.

The last part was the best part!

DeltaBoy

My Parents has some life long friends who won the Readers Digest Contest and got 2.3 million or so for it.  They were bum rushed by other friends, family and even their church.  So they called my parents and told them we need to move so my folks helped and they started packing indoors one after noon and had the trailers packed by midnight and moved out.  2 weeks later my folks got a letter from them telling them thanks and that they were using a PO BOX in another town set up in on of their late cousins name.  They exchange Christmas cards and letters and they are enjoying their golden retirement.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 12, 2015, 01:53:57 pm
I've always thought it was crazy that pro athletes can make millions of dollars a year and still go broke, but you can see how it happens. Basically, you become an ATM machine for your friends and family.

From most of what I've read, it ain't strangers who fleece these newly-rich young athletes. It is their own family and friends.

Hog in MO

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 12, 2015, 02:00:44 pm

Read the fine print on the back of your lotto ticket sometime - basically, if you claim any prize won, you are agreeing to allow the use of your likeness for promotion purposes.  The lotto commission needs to be able to advertise the winners - otherwise no one would ever believe anyone actually wins. My advice to lotto players - take all of the money you plan on buying lotto tickets with, burn half of it and bury the rest in the back yard.  You'll still come out ahead. But its for educating the kids, right? Suuuuuure it is.

mckinneyhog5

Set up a blind trust and you can claim the prize without anyone knowing.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ChicoHog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 13, 2015, 04:08:40 pm
From most of what I've read, it ain't strangers who fleece these newly-rich young athletes. It is their own family and friends.
real friends and family would congratulate them and leave them alone.  Maybe let them pick up the tab for a beer or two but that's it.   I know if my kid won the lottery my wife would probably still pay their cell phone bill!

ricepig

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 14, 2015, 12:33:33 am
Set up a blind trust and you can claim the prize without anyone knowing.

No you can't, or at least in Arkansas, and some other states. Every state has a different set of rules and regulations, some will let you collect anonymously, some will let a a LLC/trust collect, while others insist on an individual and SS #.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2015, 05:25:49 am
No you can't, or at least in Arkansas, and some other states. Every state has a different set of rules and regulations, some will let you collect anonymously, some will let a a LLC/trust collect, while others insist on an individual and SS #.

That the reason my Parents Friends packed up and moved out during the night.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

immahog

if I won big here I would move to wyoming ...humans don't live in wyoming
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 14, 2015, 01:23:57 am
real friends and family would congratulate them and leave them alone.  Maybe let them pick up the tab for a beer or two but that's it.   I know if my kid won the lottery my wife would probably still pay their cell phone bill!

Sounds like my beloved.

gawntrail

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 14, 2015, 01:23:57 am

Totally get that.  +1000 

My fiancé and I love our kids (none together), but, man.....  it would be nice for the dinner tab to be picked up once in a while.  The ticket always seems to migrate down to me.  I think next time we'll dine-n-dash and leave the kids wondering if we fell in.....

gawntrail

Isn't there a cable show along these lines?  A basketball kid I think..........

I'll have to OnDemand it and see if its any good.

DeltaBoy

My Parents friends said they had some family from his side they had never see since they got married at that time it been about 30 years , just show up and ring the door bell and ask for money.

texas tush hog

I know 2 people that won the lottery, the first left a message on their answering machine that said " due to extreme good fortune in my family I am unable to answer your call at this time. However if you are a good friend leave a message and I will return your call, however, I know who my friends are, and I am not making any new ones." The second was an elderly couple. They sent out a message to all family members, telling them they intended to share it with them, but if anybody asked for any money the were disqualified from receiving anything. Smart people in both cases
       The dumbest thing I have ever heard was these lottery winners who say," I am happy with my job and I plan to continue working, and I have a nice home and no intention of moving." Rude awakening coming, much.

HappyHogFan

I can't think of a single scenario in which my mother would sue me for money, or make a public statement that I owe her money.

#notfromatrashyfamily#