Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Field Goal Kickers and the Scrimmage Today....

Started by HogWall Jackson, April 11, 2015, 06:03:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWall Jackson

It has been reported that Cole Hedland had a big day with 4 Kicks without a miss. FGs made: 59 yards. to end the Scrimmage, 55 yards, 47 yards and 29 yards. That is great news if he gets some consistency in his performance. I have to believe that the 55 and 59 yarders were with the wind and likely the 47 yarder too. 4 for 4 is still a great day.

hoggusamoungus

Did he throw any interceptions?  :)  There seems to be some debate....

jgphillips3

Can he play linebacker?  Seriously though, great to see that we have TWO capable kickers.

HogWall Jackson

Kicking was a serious problem for our team last year. It cost us 2 ball games. I really would have preferred to be 9-4 instead of 7-6. Today's news seemed fairly significant to me, but I guess we have a couple of extra Hack Comedians, here.

BTW can either of you play LBer or QB? I didn't think so.

I agree that the kicking is now and always is a very important part of the game.  I do not know the number but I would guess that maybe 3 or 4 dozen of Frank Broyles wins at Arkansas were won by the kicking game.  One I remember is the 10-7 win over NEB to secure to NC Title year.

secneahog

Kickers looked good.

Our lbers are freaking huge.

BA looked great.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Hog Pharm

There wasn't much wind. Plus McFain looked good as well.

ZERO

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 11, 2015, 06:07:36 pm
Can he play linebacker?  Seriously though, great to see that we have TWO capable kickers.

We had the same two kickers last year. I hope they're both improved and this isn't just an outlier day. Zach Hocker spoiled us all, that's for sure.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

jgphillips3

Quote from: ZERO on April 11, 2015, 06:53:41 pm
We had the same two kickers last year. I hope they're both improved and this isn't just an outlier day. Zach Hocker spoiled us all, that's for sure.

Not exactly.  Cole redshirted and McFain took over late in the season after much fail by Henson had cost us a couple of games.

younghog

GO HOGS

TN HOG

Play like a Champion!

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 11, 2015, 06:03:19 pm
It has been reported that Cole Hedland had a big day with 4 Kicks without a miss. FGs made: 59 yards. to end the Scrimmage, 55 yards, 47 yards and 29 yards. That is great news if he gets some consistency in his performance. I have to believe that the 55 and 59 yarders were with the wind and likely the 47 yarder too. 4 for 4 is still a great day.

Good report HogWall.  We need CH to be what we all thought he would be when he was given a scholie...! WPS

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Pharm on April 11, 2015, 06:49:35 pm
There wasn't much wind. Plus McFain looked good as well.

If there was very little wind, then Cole Hedland has a seriously strong leg.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jgphillips3

59 yards with little wind.  I too figured there was wind.  Guess that scholarship may be worth every penny.

nwahogfan1

Both kickers looked very, very good.  Both nailed the ball.  Cole might have a little bigger leg. 

I would think the one that gets the job is the one that is the most consistent charted over the entire spring and fall..  55 yard FGs are nice but going 25 for 25 for the season inside of 40 yards would be better.

Hawgzinbowlz

Adam will be the kicker, unless Cole improves significantly over the summer. AM had better elevation on almost all of his kicks while his distance was marginally less than CH.
Cole's kickoffs were longer but had significantly less hang time (many line drives). If Cole can increase his elevation he may be used on kickoffs this year as several of his kickoffs were out of the end zone. The height and distance on some of CH kickoffs could create problems, for The Hogs, as there wasn't enough hang time.
At the end of the scrimmage McFain hit a 55 yard FG and was a little short on his 59 yard attempt. Cole hit his 59 yarder.
Adam looks more SEC ready and he's continued to improve.

" GO HOGS "

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on April 12, 2015, 03:54:32 pm
Adam will be the kicker, unless Cole improves significantly over the summer. AM had better elevation on almost all of his kicks while his distance was marginally less than CH.
Cole's kickoffs were longer but had significantly less hang time (many line drives). If Cole can increase his elevation he may be used on kickoffs this year as several of his kickoffs were out of the end zone. The height and distance on some of CH kickoffs could create problems, for The Hogs, as there wasn't enough hang time.
At the end of the scrimmage McFain hit a 55 yard FG and was a little short on his 59 yard attempt. Cole hit his 59 yarder.

" GO HOGS "

We have seen what Adam can do.

Oklahawg

The scholarship pedigree may kick in at some point. (Meaning, Hedlund may have more upside.)

50-yard FG are nothing to sneeze at. That is sufficient range to win games. Now, work on elevation and accuracy.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Laughing Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 11, 2015, 06:05:22 pm
Did he throw any interceptions?  :)  There seems to be some debate....

Some on here might say he did. Just a tiny one on the debate thingy. Something about a corner throw............
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 12, 2015, 05:48:56 pm
The scholarship pedigree may kick in at some point. (Meaning, Hedlund may have more upside.)

50-yard FG are nothing to sneeze at. That is sufficient range to win games. Now, work on elevation and accuracy.

Lol
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 11, 2015, 06:25:27 pm
Kicking was a serious problem for our team last year. It cost us 2 ball games. I really would have preferred to be 9-4 instead of 7-6. Today's news seemed fairly significant to me, but I guess we have a couple of extra Hack Comedians, here.

BTW can either of you play LBer or QB? I didn't think so.

Sorry, but most of us equate kicker problems with the HDN era and the dudes who couldn't even get within 15 yards of the goalpost...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

Yes we were the best kicking school for years.  Steve Little, Ish O,  Trainor and on down the line.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Gerald Gilber

what number was Hedland wearing Saturday :razorback:
Can we play all our games at home????

GuvHog

Quote from: BigPapaHawg on April 12, 2015, 08:32:46 pm
Those over 50 yards are very impressive!!!!

In this day and age when they are no longer allowed to use tees for field goals, a made 59 yarder is a seriously impressive kick. That's only 8 yards short of Steve Little's all time longest field goal in the NCAA record.

Boardon Hamsay

Would you describe Hedland's 4 kicks as "good" or "great"? Will he be a "beast" this fall?  Some here that can't comprehend the subjectivity of practice reports will argue the difference between "good" and "great" so I thought I'd ask on their behalf.  ;D
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: foodhog on April 13, 2015, 04:04:49 pm
what number was Hedland wearing Saturday :razorback:

I heard that it was #9 may be someone else can confirm that. I was not in attendance.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 13, 2015, 05:17:53 pm
I heard that it was #9 may be someone else can confirm that. I was not in attendance.

#9 and McFain was #48

Hedlund made a 59 yarder and McFain's long was 55.

" GO HOGS "

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on April 13, 2015, 10:24:21 pm
#9 and McFain was #48

Hedlund made a 59 yarder and McFain's long was 55.

" GO HOGS "

Mc Fain missed the 59 yarder. Hedlund went 4 for 4 at: 59, 55, 47 and 29 yards. Hitting all of them was impressive.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on April 13, 2015, 04:43:10 pm

Would you describe Hedland's 4 kicks as "good" or "great"? Will he be a "beast" this fall?  Some here that can't comprehend the subjectivity of practice reports will argue the difference between "good" and "great" so I thought I'd ask on their behalf.  ;D

Lol.  yep, those good & great kicks are different.  The difference between the two.......is the great ones will count 3 points on the scoreboard..... the good ones also count as 3......but will have asterisk's beside them.   ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on April 13, 2015, 10:29:10 pm

Mc Fain missed the 59 yarder. Hedlund went 4 for 4 at: 59, 55, 47 and 29 yards. Hitting all of them was impressive.

Agree, that is impressive.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

JIHawg

" GO HOGS "

This is the post to pay attention to in this thread.

bennyl08

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on April 13, 2015, 04:43:10 pm

" GO HOGS "

One could argue this explains the difference between a good and great kick.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

theFlyingHog

It is widely known that the kicking cost us games last year.

Does anyone agree with me that it may be better that it turned out the way it did with us getting our first SEC win in the fashion that we did, and also our 6-6 record pitting us against the Texas team that we absolutely demolished?  Yeah, a better record for the season is always great but I think maybe the team came together better to destroy LSU and Ol Miss and UT.

Thoughts?

Gerald Gilber

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 14, 2015, 10:14:05 am

Does anyone agree with me that it may be better that it turned out the way it did with us getting our first SEC win in the fashion that we did, and also our 6-6 record pitting us against the Texas team that we absolutely demolished?  Yeah, a better record for the season is always great but I think maybe the team came together better to destroy LSU and Ol Miss and UT.

Thoughts?
I was at the scrimmage and I thought all the kickers looked impressive, even number 42, I knew who McFain was from last year but wasn't sure who the other two were, the punter, number 37 was booming some punts too
Can we play all our games at home????

GuvHog

Quote from: foodhog on April 14, 2015, 10:52:42 am
I was at the scrimmage and I thought all the kickers looked impressive, even number 42, I knew who McFain was from last year but wasn't sure who the other two were, the punter, number 37 was booming some punts too

#37 is Toby Baker, a Junior Punter from Memphis, Tennessee.

HogWall Jackson

Thoughts?

Didn't Texas score their only TD after a lousy short Kick Off?

snoblind

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 13, 2015, 11:42:32 pm
One could argue this explains the difference between a good and great kick.

Except one post is talking about field goals and the other about kickoffs.

:)

TeufelHog

Can any of them get a kickoff deep into, or thru, the ENDZONE consistently???  Absolutely drove me "bat-2#!+" crazy last year!

bennyl08

Quote from: snoblind on April 15, 2015, 01:59:15 pm
Except one post is talking about field goals and the other about kickoffs.

:)

It works for both. Line drive field goals are more likely to be blocked. Elevation is key in all parts of the kicking game.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PonderinHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 15, 2015, 09:33:42 pm
It works for both. Line drive field goals are more likely to be blocked. Elevation is key in all parts of the kicking game.
It ain't like they're playing at sea level.   ::)

TDHawgs

Marcus on Drive Time Sports probably isn't impressed.. lol  He hates the kicking game..

HogMantheIntruder

Thoughts?
I see what you're saying.  It helped to pit us against an inferior (yet big name) opponent whose record was much more accurate to the type of team they were, which, after destroying them for 60 minutes, gave us a big momentum boost heading into the spring. Then there's the fact that it will only take marginal improvement this year to get to 9-10(+) wins, which will help out with the CBB Coach of the Year campaign, and gives us that "dark horse" tag, which ESPN loves.  Still, I would definitely trade that for the extra W's last year.  Regardless, it's a good way to look at last season. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

gmarv

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 16, 2015, 04:49:39 pm
I see what you're saying.  It helped to pit us against an inferior (yet big name) opponent whose record was much more accurate to the type of team they were, which, after destroying them for 60 minutes, gave us a big momentum boost heading into the spring. Then there's the fact that it will only take marginal improvement this year to get to 9-10(+) wins, which will help out with the CBB Coach of the Year campaign, and gives us that "dark horse" tag, which ESPN loves.  Still, I would definitely trade that for the extra W's last year.  Regardless, it's a good way to look at last season. 
I would trade it all for a couple of those wins too,especially that one against bamer.