Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outcome: Turd or a Rose?

Started by Shadow23, November 16, 2012, 08:04:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow23

No longer content to sit and watch, the Blue Jays have thrown their hat into the ring for the AL East crown with their sudden spending binge.

Whaddya think, fellas?  Given the hits and misses of teams that have splurged on salaries in hopes of winning, how do you see this one coming out?  As we've seen, the highest payrolls don't guarantee a Series win.

Notable additions:
Melky Cabrera, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8639653/melky-cabrera-agrees-two-year-deal-toronto-blue-jays-according-sources

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8629079/jose-reyes-josh-johnson-verge-being-traded-miami-marlins-toronto-blue-jays

ucahogfan

I think the Blue Jays will be a force in  the AL East next year and might be the favorites to win it depending on how the Yankees play the remainder of the offseason.  Just think if this all goes through, here is how the Jays lineup will look in 2013:

C - J.P. Arrencibia or John Buck
1B - Adam Lind
2B - Emilio Bonifacio or Maicer Izturis
SS - Jose Reyes
3B - Brett Lawrie
LF - Melky Cabrera
CF - Colby Rasmus
RF - Jose Bautista
DH - Edwin Encarnacion

SP 1 - Josh Johnson
SP 2 - Mark Buehrle
SP 3 - Ricky Romero
SP 4 - Brandon Morrow
SP 5 - JA Happ
CL - Sergio Santos

They will have one of the best lineups in baseball.  Reyes and Bonifacio might combine to steal 100 bases on the turf in the Rogers Centre.  Cabrera could hit .300+.  Bautista and Encarnacion will both hit 35+ HRs.  The rest of the lineup will all be solid as well.

The pitching staff should be good.  Johnson is a legit ace if healthy.  Buehrle is a great #2 to have.  I think Romero will be better this year not having to be the ace.  Morrow at #4 is just not fair.  They could also add a pitcher like Edwin Jackson to fill out the rotation.

They also have a deep farm system to use to get more talent if the need arises.  This team that the Jays front office has assembled should pull in a solid manager to replace Farrell.

bsking

I think they'll be over .500 but miss the playoffs.  Their biggest problem is how good that division is.

clutch

Man times are changing. Who would have thought things were shifting from Red Sox / Yankees battling it out for division titles to Blue Jays and Orioles. Well maybe not yet, but there's a chance.

Oklahawg

Bump Happ and replace him with Dickey. If that makes Morrow a #5...holy crap! Morrow is a top 25 starter in the AL!

Blue Jays, Orioles and Rays...be nice to see the Bosox and Yankmes at the bottom for a season.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pigture perfect

I would love to see the Yanks and Sox as 4th and 5th place in their division.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bsking

People want to think the Yankees are bad.  They're not.  They might be the best team in that division.  With some luck they could be the best team in the AL.

If you made me pick who wins that division right now, I'd say the Yankees.  But 4 teams have legitimate shots at it.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on January 01, 2013, 12:47:37 pm
People want to think the Yankees are bad.  They're not.  They might be the best team in that division.  With some luck they could be the best team in the AL.

If you made me pick who wins that division right now, I'd say the Yankees.  But 4 teams have legitimate shots at it.

They aren't bad, but the bottom feeders of the division have significantly closed the gap between them.