Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New coaches at Kentucky and Vandy

Started by Hogtied85, May 24, 2016, 04:10:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtied85

Things are gonna be interesting with new coaching staffs at kentucky and vandy.

Kentucky new WBB

Kyra Elzy
Niya Butts
Linn Dunn ( Former Indiana Fever champisonship coach )

Vanderbilt

Head Coach - Stephanie White ( Indiana Fever )
Asst. Coach - Carolyn Peck

I wonder who  Jimmy is looking at???

Scott7703

Doesn't appear CJD is in any hurry at all.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 24, 2016, 06:43:28 pm
Doesn't appear CJD is in any hurry at all.

Is he not in a hurry or does no one want to work for him?

Scott7703

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 25, 2016, 09:53:15 am
Is he not in a hurry or does no one want to work for him?

Bobby knight never had any trouble filling a staff. You can find people to work for you regardless. I still don't buy what you are selling anyway.

rjm1940

For some time I have watched Carolyn Peck perform as an announcer and wondered why she was not coaching.

psycHOGlogist

Because she was not successful in the WNBA and was a flop at Florida. Quite a comedown, imo, for her to take an AC position.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 25, 2016, 04:55:18 pm
Bobby knight never had any trouble filling a staff. You can find people to work for you regardless. I still don't buy what you are selling anyway.

I'm not buying it either.  An example close to home- Bielema takes considerably longer to fill his assistant coaching staff compared to the rest of our SEC W brethren AND has a very high turnover rate on assistant coaches...yet no one accuses him of being hard to work for

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on May 27, 2016, 09:40:36 am
I'm not buying it either.  An example close to home- Bielema takes considerably longer to fill his assistant coaching staff compared to the rest of our SEC W brethren AND has a very high turnover rate on assistant coaches...yet no one accuses him of being hard to work for

To compare the hiring of an assistant football coach to hiring an assistant women's basketball coach is like comparing apples with oranges.  Assistant football coaches have so much more responsibility that must be carried out without assistance of the head coach.  Let's just see who he hires and then do the evaluation instead of arguing about this.  All I know is that I have not been impressed with any hire since Christy Smith.  Have you?

BlancheDevereaux

Agree--women's basketball and football are two entirely different species of college athletics! For starters the pool of coaching talent is much much smaller with women's basketball. Kentucky just made a big sweep and I'm guessing Vandy will take what's left with their new hire(s).

And let's not forget that we were one coach short during the April evaluation/recruiting period. We had to send Deffebaugh off by himself which means a coach who still has very very little experience with women's basketball, and even less with college recruiting, was our only rep out on the recruiting trail in a few states. And we will be needing bodies pretty soon since we're loaded up with JUCO talent at the moment.

psycHOGlogist

Kentucky made good hires in terms of name recognition, but there is still clearly a cloud over that program. Lin Dunn comes out of retirement -- how long do you think that lasts? And Elzy and Butts are names, but they have not exactly knocked it out of the park, coaching wise. Elzy was basically let go from her alma mater, and Butts just got canned from Arizona. Mitchell seems to think he can get the band back together, but I think there's a whiff of desperation about it.

But on point of the Arkansas hire ... let's see who it ends up being.

psycHOGlogist

nwahogfan1

Boy I am glad Tari is still there.  She is a very good recruiter and person.  I assume until they hire a new Asst. Coach that one of their Grad Asst. will fill in and help Tari and Jimmy in recruiting but I am like the rest of you guys and sure hope Jimmy makes a HR hire.