Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Draft wants and predictions

Started by Dr. Starcs, April 21, 2016, 09:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

A) Who's your team?
B) Who do you want them taking round 1 and
C) who do you think they take?

A) Cowboy fan here, would LOVE for them to get their qb for the future at 4, but I'm doubting it happens now with the two trades. I want them to get
B) Carson Wentz, but I think he'll be gone and they end up with
C) Joey Bosa (ugh).

Richard_white

Cowboy fan.

We need Bosa for the first 4 games.  Two DE's suspended.

1. Jalen Ramsey
2. Joey Bosa

I would love the 4th pick go to Ramsey.  Get a DE in the 2nd. Get a WR in the 3rd.  Maybe a TE in the 4th.  And stock up in the 6th like a backup QB for Romo.  We have a couple 4th round picks.  And whole bunch of 6th round picks.  Load up on the DL and RB's.

HawgAdvocate

A) Eagles fan
B) Carson Wentz
C) Wentz or Goff

And for you Cowboys fans, I'll be surprised if whomever picks at #3 actually lets Ramsey fall to #4. Both the Chargers and the Jags (currently #5) reportedly like Ramsey.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dr. Starcs

And for you eagles fans, you sure did give up a lot to get a fcs qb.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. I still think Dallas goes bosa.

bennyl08

I'm hearing the chargers are leaning Ramsey over Tunsil.

I'm mostly a fan of the NFL in general. I like the Rams, Hawks, and Packers though, with conditional likings of the Ravens and Vikings and somewhat the Steelers, but mostly just Big Ben.

The Rams are 99% Goff right now, but at such a price, I feel like they should go Wentz. Goff is the surer bet, Wentz has more upside and IMO better intangibles. Akin to the difference b/w Dalton and Kaepernick. Obviously right now, you'd want Dalton. However, Kaep's best has been better than Dalton's best. Further, the cost of the trade for them comes into play. If I'm paying an arm and a leg, why would I take a guy like Dalton who isn't much better than somebody super cheap like Cassel? My job is going to depend on this guy panning out and paying that price for a successful Dalton means I get fired anyways. Rather roll the dice on Wentz who may give me a Rothlesberger type player. Granted, that is entirely determined by how one evaluates the players. If Goff is actually more like Rogers, then he is the no-brainer, or if you know Wentz won't cut it, well then you don't make that type of trade unless you are sure Wentz will cut it or Goff will be the new Rogers.

Seahawks: They do need DL help, but they've needed an OL for the past 3 seasons and haven't made matters any better. If the best DL player is significantly better than the best OL guy, then yeah, they should go DL. However, if it is close, they need OL help. Preferably a tackle early and then take Tretola in the 4th.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Most of that comes from a combination of Mayock saying I really think the Chargers are taking Jalen Ramsey at No. 3 on april 22nd.

More recently, there's been talk of them taking Ronnie Stanley at 3 instead of Tunsil as well as Barksdale. However, these strike me as mostly smokescreens. Ramsey is considered by many to be the best overall player in the draft. If they don't go Tunsil, Cowboy's aren't taking him and Jags are almost for sure going defense. That would be a steal for Ravens to get him at 6.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SemperHawg

Cowboys Fan here

If we are going to go DE, I would actually rather have Deforrest Buckner than Joey Bosa.  I also wouldn't be upset with Jalen Ramsey, although I am reading some guys saying this is the most over rated DB draft in years.  As long as we don't burn up that #4 pick on Ezekiel Elliot I will be happy.  I am not even opposed to taking Elliot but there is no reason not to try and trade back to take him.  No way he worth the 4th pick.

RyeHogFan

Colts fan here.
I figure they'll go after the top rated OT on the board unless there's some sort of run on them early in the draft and it's a stretch to take the guy there.
Most mocks have them getting Taylor Decker which I would be very happy with. If Decker and the other 3 top OT are off the board,  I would hope they'd shore up the front seven of their defense with a difference maker.

AirForceHog

Anyone lurking and looking for Draft discussion?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

hawgmasta

I'll take that action. And lol of course Jerry pulled the Trigger on a position that he doesn't need. Dmac ran for 1000 last year they could've gotten a great back in the 2nd.

Atlhogfan1

Jax owes the Cowboys a thank you for that 1990s draft thought process and drafting a RB 4th. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AirForceHog

Hmmmm cowboys with DMAC, Morris and now Elliot. Crowded backfield

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Atlhogfan1

Last rushing champion to be on a Super Bowl winner:

2003 Jamal Lewis - Ravens

Before that:
1998 TD - Broncos
1995 Emmitt

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AirForceHog

3 Buckeyes in the top 10 and zero Bammer players.

Dr. Starcs

hawgmasta

This goes To show once again the guys on ESPN and nfl network are for entertainment. They don't know ish.

Richard_white

I would rather the Cowboys picked Ramsey but I understand why they picked Elliot.  Dallas has a lot of draft picks to load up on the defense.

Atlhogfan1

Freeze needs to get darn together.  His lack of discipline is killing his players in the draft. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: Richard_white on April 28, 2016, 08:26:45 pm
I would rather the Cowboys picked Ramsey but I understand why they picked Elliot.  Dallas has a lot of draft picks to load up on the defense.

It's just that running back is one of the least valued positions now.

Oliver

The Niners drafted the same player two years in a row.  But with the morons running that franchise it's not a huge surprise

Boardon Hamsay

I kinda miss the old days of Al Davis drafting speed. It added entertainment value. The Raiders are drafting well now but if Al Davis was still around, their last pick would have been American Pharaoh.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

porkinsons disease

Loved the Dolphins pick of Tunsil. High risk/reward pick, but probably the best talent in the draft. Let's hope he has learned from his bad decisions. Dolphins need the help

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Oliver

Quote from: porkinsons disease on April 28, 2016, 09:18:59 pm
Loved the Dolphins pick of Tunsil. High risk/reward pick, but probably the best talent in the draft. Let's hope he has learned from his bad decisions. Dolphins need the help

Absolutely.  Great value

bennyl08

Vikings just scored a great pick in Treadwell. He wan't and didn't end up end up a top 20 pick, but he's still a good receiver. Vikings foolishly signed Wallace who is a one trick poney with the deep threat but a qb who doesn't throw deep balls a lot. Treadwell perfectly compliments Bridgewater.

Oliver

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 28, 2016, 09:48:21 pm
Vikings just scored a great pick in Treadwell. He wan't and didn't end up end up a top 20 pick, but he's still a good receiver. Vikings foolishly signed Wallace who is a one trick poney with the deep threat but a qb who doesn't throw deep balls a lot. Treadwell perfectly compliments Bridgewater.

Agreed.  Great pick.  Really wish the Niners would have drafted him but they have nobody to throw to him so...

bennyl08

Raiders have been making very good FA/draft decisions past couple of years, but Karl Joseph is currently a head scratcher there. Those types of picks often turn out to be worth it though, so who knows.

bennyl08

Quote from: Oliver on April 28, 2016, 09:50:03 pm
Agreed.  Great pick.  Really wish the Niners would have drafted him but they have nobody to throw to him so...

Well, I was hoping one of Conklin, Stanley, or Decker would be there when the Seahawks pick, but that didn't remotely happen. I don't think there is much separation at the next many guard spots, and there are still several great DL players which the hawks need.

Oliver

Seahawks trade with Broncos.  Oh well we're stuck with Krapernick.  Really great night.  Brilliant move by Seattle

Atlhogfan1

Please no qb.  Was afraid Elway would do this.  Could have stayed put and maybe got a dlineman to replace Malik and a qb project later.  None of these qb's are worth it at this spot. 

Oliver

Please somebody hack Trent Baalke's Twitter account to show him smoking a bong

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 28, 2016, 09:47:00 am
Cowboys Fan here

If we are going to go DE, I would actually rather have Deforrest Buckner than Joey Bosa.  I also wouldn't be upset with Jalen Ramsey, although I am reading some guys saying this is the most over rated DB draft in years.  As long as we don't burn up that #4 pick on Ezekiel Elliot I will be happy.  I am not even opposed to taking Elliot but there is no reason not to try and trade back to take him.  No way he worth the 4th pick.

I was in the other draft thread...time I jumped into this one.

Semper, I think I agree with everything you said. Those who thought we needed a defender more—like Ramsey—made a great case for it. For one, Dallas has NO playmakers on D. Those who supported Elliot merely agreed that he was a really good RB.

But here's one idea...the Cowboys got burned picking Mo Claiborne at corner a few years back (who has been average at best). Maybe they're afraid of gambling at that position.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 26, 2016, 04:44:40 pm
And for you eagles fans, you sure did give up a lot to get a fcs qb.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. I still think Dallas goes bosa.

Former FCS QBs who were 1st round picks:

Joe Flacco
Steve McNair
Phil Sims
Doug Williams

Winners.

And even though he wasn't a first round pick, let's not forget the QB of 'America's Team,' who came from an FCS school. Your boy, right? Elite talent is elite talent, when it comes to QBs. Doesn't matter where they come from.

Wentz is a 2x champion who sets his own protections, has Big Ben size, has had the freedom to call his own audibles, plays from under center, can tuck and run like Cam, and has a clean record off the field. Aside from the clean record, Goff doesn't have any of those traits/skills. Wentz also has the benefit of two former NFL QBs as HC and OC, and an experienced backup in Daniel to tutor him for a year.

What did we give up to secure our franchise QB for (hopefully) the next 10+ years? Picks stretched out over time: a 3rd in '16, a 1st in '17, and a 2nd in '18. Stretched out over time, it's a worthy trade to make. Wentz was reportedly either #2 or #3 on Dallas' board. He's worth it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dr. Starcs

You don't know how it will work anymore than I do.

And romo wasnt even drafted.

The problem i see with Philly is they don't have a lot of talent to go around wentz. And for all the grief Dallas got over drafting Elliot because of the rb's they already have, the same could be said about the eagles (and I believe it was gruden who said the same thing).

MountainHomeHogger

Quote from: RyeHogFan on April 28, 2016, 06:16:39 pm
Colts fan here.
I figure they'll go after the top rated OT on the board unless there's some sort of run on them early in the draft and it's a stretch to take the guy there.
Most mocks have them getting Taylor Decker which I would be very happy with. If Decker and the other 3 top OT are off the board,  I would hope they'd shore up the front seven of their defense with a difference maker.

I really like who the Colts drafted, as a Colts fan myself, I think Kelly will anchor that line for years to come!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 29, 2016, 06:43:27 am
You don't know how it will work anymore than I do.

And romo wasnt even drafted.

The problem i see with Philly is they don't have a lot of talent to go around wentz. And for all the grief Dallas got over drafting Elliot because of the rb's they already have, the same could be said about the eagles (and I believe it was gruden who said the same thing).

I know there's only two solid ways to truly secure a franchise QB: suck for a year when good talent will be available, or trade the farm to land your guy. I know the division he came from doesn't mean he's any less of a player. I know there's a lot of reasons why this guy can and will succeed. I also know there's a lot of aging QBs in the NFL who are close to hanging them up (Brees, Palmer, Romo, etc), and it's widely known that the next couple QB classes aren't projected that highly. Jerry likely knew that too when he tried to land and develop Lynch.

It doesn't matter if or when Romo was drafted. He came from FCS too. Wentz wasn't going to go undrafted. He was going in the top 5 all along. My point is that to think less of him because he's from the FCS is silly. ND State runs a much more diverse offense than both Ohio State and Penn State do.

Talent around Wentz? There's plenty. Two Pro Bowlers on the OL currently (Kelce & Peters), and that doesn't include recent top 5 pick Lane Johnson who just got his extension to be the future blindside. Brandon Brooks just signed at RG, which is a major upgrade. Young receivers Jordan Matthews and TE Zach Ertz are studs, and last year's 1st rounder Nelson Algholor will only get better. Matthews and Sproles are talented RBs, though Sproles probably won't be there for two more seasons. They'll upgrade. There are a lot of great RBs coming in future classes. The Eagles' defense has a lot of talent can be great, especially now that they no longer have to contend with Chip's '3 & out' offense.

Gruden was concerned about snaps in practice. What does that matter when Wentz isn't even intended to start this season? Wentz may not get many snaps early on, but he'll certainly take more from Daniel as he develops. Daniel knew his role when he signed. He's being paid well to teach Pederson's offense and tutor Wentz.

Dr. Starcs

I believe wentz was Dallas number one qb target as well, I just think Philly gave up a lot to get him there.

Heck, I'm still in disbelief Dallas hasn't gotten a de through 3 rounds. Smh

Atlhogfan1

RB showing little value in the draft. 

j-mann

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 28, 2016, 10:01:10 pm
Please no qb.  Was afraid Elway would do this.  Could have stayed put and maybe got a dlineman to replace Malik and a qb project later.  None of these qb's are worth it at this spot.
+ 1  was hopeing for d-line in round 1  and a qb at the end of round 2

Broncos Fan  Since 1990   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

bennyl08

Quote from: j-mann on May 19, 2016, 10:41:43 pm
+ 1  was hopeing for d-line in round 1  and a qb at the end of round 2

Broncos Fan  Since 1990

I can't fault the decision too much. While the broncos had some losses after the superbowl, the defense is still good enough for the team to win and there are enough playmakers on offense to move the ball IF you have a serviceable qb. Sanchez was the only guy on the roster remotely capable of playing the most important position on the team this coming season. Further, after Lynch, there's a sharp drop off in rookies ready to play this season. The situation is less than ideal for sure, but it is IMO the difference b/w the broncos winning 8-10 next season and at least threatening for another playoff berth or dropping down to the cellar losing 10+ games because you can't sustain drives or punch it into the endzone.