Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson Flips The Script On His Critics

Started by Mike Irwin, February 19, 2017, 07:15:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

They've been solid after the two utterly embarrassing performances against Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Take the last 5 games and those two are head scratchers. I wouldn't say flipped the script. Just prepared the team the way they should have been all along.
This is my non-signature signature.

Dirty

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 19, 2017, 08:10:25 pm
They've been solid after the two utterly embarrassing performances against Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Take the last 5 games and those two are head scratchers. I wouldn't say flipped the script. Just prepared the team the way they should have been all along.

Takes time to gel! 

poloprince

They've been way more than solid the last two games.
$PoLoPrInCe$

jabberjawls

Quote from: poloprince on February 20, 2017, 09:30:47 am
They've been way more than solid the last two games.
And they were way below solid the two before that.  What does that mean?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 20, 2017, 06:22:09 pm

Same thing it meant when UK lost at Tennessee, when Florida lost at home to Vanderbilt, and when Vanderbilt lost by 20 to mizzou. It happens.

Basketball teams play so many games that there will be some head scratchers as some night you just don't have your A game.

biglewhog77

Good piece of work Mr. Mike Irwin... I think if we stay in that zone defense we can win a lot of games and make a run in the tournament.... I love my hogs and like Mike Anderson as the coach leave him alone and let him do his job

Biggus Piggus

Or maybe it took some adversity before everybody bought in.
[CENSORED]!

FineAsSwine

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 21, 2017, 11:47:22 am
Or maybe it took some adversity before everybody bought in.

Lol. That could be one reason I'm sure, but a measuring stick for intangibles I've yet to see. If they keep running people off the floor, then that could be gauged I suppose. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 21, 2017, 11:44:36 am
At the same time, there should be examples of a team accomplishing something greater than the sum of its individual parts.  That has NOT happened for a Mike Anderson coached team.
bruh
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Youngsta71701

Aw hell, here we go again. When the earth ends it will be Mike Anderson's fault. Seven newcomers means your not going to be world beaters overnight unless they all are potential lottery picks. Takes time to gel and figure out the real strengths of your team.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 22, 2017, 10:44:05 pm
I love it.good job Mike. loved reading that. this feels O so good.

Amen Joe! CMA got 'me looking good.

Youngsta71701

ATU HOG

February 23, 2017, 11:06:44 am #17 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:24:48 am by ATU HOG
Crazy what happens when you start to fall, you have to claw and fight your way back up.  Mike has adjusted in games better the past few weeks  than he has any in his coaching at Arkansas.   Call a spade a spade..... when it's not up to expectations he should be held responsible.  When he is meeting or exceeding expectations he's held responsible. 

Great job going to the 2-2-1 along with the run and jump.  Tag that with mixing up the defense in the half court setting from man to man to a matchup zone.  Bout time and woo pig

Oklahawg

Good read, Mike.

It is a very good sign that the team went from looking like MA had lost them to it clicking for a couple of games in a row. I didn't think it possible but I stand corrected. Kudos to MA and his staff. And, good for the team.

All things equal, it is better when I can enjoy being a fan!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

My dream come true would be for Mike to coach so well that there is no worry about him getting fired but looking at some of the results this year has me more than a little hesitant to just go all in on things being flipped.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 23, 2017, 11:48:58 am
All things equal, it is better when I can enjoy being a fan!

No doubt. My participation on message boards had muddled my ability to be able to do that. I blame myself for that not any message board.

I took a step back early in this season and made a commitment to be a fan. Love the wins, hate the losses and let our administration worry about who is retained and who is fired.

Made all the difference in the world in my enjoyment level of our teams.

Biggus Piggus

Message boarding has nothing to do with whether I enjoy games. The quality of basketball that Arkansas plays is all I care about. Don't give a darn about online pissing matches. Just want to see the Razorbacks play well. Win or lose. Play well.

They did not get there until very recently, and the last 3.5 games have been terrific watching.

It is hard to sustain anything through a conference season (WVa had a 5-4 stretch; Virginia is on a 2-6 bender; Duke had a 3-4 period). Last night would have been a typical letup moment, but the Hogs took care of business.

Now we have consecutive road games, not a favorable setup, except refs have been helping road teams in league play lately. This is a great opportunity.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 23, 2017, 01:33:39 pm
Message boarding has nothing to do with whether I enjoy games. The quality of basketball that Arkansas plays is all I care about. Don't give a darn about online pissing matches. Just want to see the Razorbacks play well. Win or lose. Play well.

They did not get there until very recently, and the last 3.5 games have been terrific watching.

It is hard to sustain anything through a conference season (WVa had a 5-4 stretch; Virginia is on a 2-6 bender; Duke had a 3-4 period). Last night would have been a typical letup moment, but the Hogs took care of business.

Now we have consecutive road games, not a favorable setup, except refs have been helping road teams in league play lately. This is a great opportunity.
I think the SEC and the refs FINALLY realized how bad their home bias has been and have really put a concerted effort into calling the games a lot more evenly this year for the road team.

I've been complaining about this for years. I've even seen Arkansas benefit from this at home. I don't expect all the close calls or no calls to go my way, just call it even on both sides and may the best team that game win.

FATHAWG08

February 23, 2017, 03:59:42 pm #23 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:41:20 pm by FATHAWG08
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 23, 2017, 03:07:12 pm
I think the SEC and the refs FINALLY realized how bad their home bias has been and have really put a concerted effort into calling the games a lot more evenly this year for the road team.

I've been complaining about this for years. I've even seen Arkansas benefit from this at home. I don't expect all the close calls or no calls to go my way, just call it even on both sides and may the best team that game win.
Maybe the SEC finally realized the Officating Bias for Home Teams was hurting the league from getting more teams in the tournament. All you ever heard about the Hogs was they couldn't win on the road. Well we all know you are not going to win if they Officating  is not equal.
I love off season Football!!

AlmaHog2011

I have some renewed hope but this article can easily come back to bite you in the ass. I mean how has he flipped the script? This reminds me of Bo Mattingly saying we were going to end up with a 9-4 record after a victory over I think Florida and how did that turn out?

I just don't think it's a good article. Just keeps us fighting and Mike has a lot to do still yet. He finishes bad and we don't make the NCAA I hope you remember to write and apology for this nonsense. I used to like Mike but this kind of crap is not good.

FYI I like Mike Anderson and hope he finishes strong and gets this turned around but the facts are the facts. Just another stupid reason to keep fans at each others throats. Fans have been incredibly supportive of Mike Anderson and we have to read this junk. Ban me or whatever I think the article was trash.

Swinesong1

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 23, 2017, 08:43:43 pm
I have some renewed hope but this article can easily come back to bite you in the ass. I mean how has he flipped the script? This reminds me of Bo Mattingly saying we were going to end up with a 9-4 record after a victory over I think Florida and how did that turn out?

I just don't think it's a good article. Just keeps us fighting and Mike has a lot to do still yet. He finishes bad and we don't make the NCAA I hope you remember to write and apology for this nonsense. I used to like Mike but this kind of crap is not good.

FYI I like Mike Anderson and hope he finishes strong and gets this turned around but the facts are the facts. Just another stupid reason to keep fans at each others throats. Fans have been incredibly supportive of Mike Anderson and we have to read this junk. Ban me or whatever I think the article was trash.
How can you "used to like Mike" and like him at the same time.  Judging by your post, I'm betting you never did.

realistichog

I'm no hypocrite. I not a fan of Mike's coaching ability. However, after this last stretch, I realize that MA is probably not going anywhere so I might as well enjoy the ride for however long it last. If MA were to take a team to the ncaat more often , keep 1 and dones in state or sign some top talent from outside the state, then I would say he has flipped the script.

Swinesong1

Quote from: realistichog on February 23, 2017, 09:55:30 pm
I'm no hypocrite. I not a fan of Mike's coaching ability. However, after this last stretch, I realize that MA is probably not going anywhere so I might as well enjoy the ride for however long it last. If MA were to take a team to the ncaat more often , keep 1 and dones in state or sign some top talent from outside the state, then I would say he has flipped the script.
Fair expectations

poloprince

Quote from: realistichog on February 23, 2017, 09:55:30 pm

Are you a Pelphrey fan?  Remember the guy Broyles paid a hiring firm to find?
$PoLoPrInCe$

hhousewps

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 23, 2017, 08:56:35 pm
How can you "used to like Mike" and like him at the same time.  Judging by your post, I'm betting you never did.

Used to like Mike Irwin...

Likes Mike Anderson...

Come on now.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 23, 2017, 11:51:38 am
My dream come true would be for Mike to coach so well that there is no worry about him getting fired but looking at some of the results this year has me more than a little hesitant to just go all in on things being flipped.

Pretty much where I'm at.

riccoar

Pretty much the only criticism of Anderson.  The reason why people don't believe in him is because that lack of preparedness occurs too often at an Elite level.

Pork Twain

Quote from: poloprince on February 23, 2017, 11:27:54 pm
Are you a Pelphrey fan?  Remember the guy Broyles paid a hiring firm to find?
Why even bring him into the discussion?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 23, 2017, 08:56:35 pm

OK I drove up with a friend when Mike was introduced and got chills about 5-6 times. Have also met Mike and he's a hard guy not to really like. And I did like Mike and always will like Mike. He stands for things I stand for. He hasn't won like I thought he would and that is fact.

Judge how you want..I knew there would be guys like you who think they know it all and don't have a clue.

AlmaHog2011

February 24, 2017, 07:52:42 am #34 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:01:34 pm by AlmaHog2011
Quote from: hhousewps on February 24, 2017, 01:20:03 am
Used to like Mike Irwin...

Likes Mike Anderson...

Come on now.

Thanks I did mean I had liked Mike Irwin. I now see that I was using the word used in the wrong way. .Still don't hate just hate these type articles..I want Mike to win but get tired of people acting like he has not won as much as I thought.

Hope he gets us in the NCAA and we start winning big. I sure don't want to start over and IMO Mike just might be getting it rolling. But for Mike Irwin to throw that out is nothing but causing more fighting. Hogfans don't need to be fighting Hogfans!!! And IMO the article is the same thing Bo was saying about the Football Team winning 9 and they ended with 7 and quit. I don't see that happening but lets win 2-3 more and get into the NCAA Tourney.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 20, 2017, 06:22:09 pm
A solid team underachieved

cardsNhogs

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 20, 2017, 08:38:36 pm
Same thing it meant when UK lost at Tennessee, when Florida lost at home to Vanderbilt, and when Vanderbilt lost by 20 to mizzou. It happens.

Basketball teams play so many games that there will be some head scratchers as some night you just don't have your A game.
Did kentucky or florida lose to Missouri, and at home to Miss St and Vandy?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 24, 2017, 07:56:33 am

Different teams, different days. Plus, Mizzou gave KY a nice challenge before folding in the second half.

Also, for some reason, Mizzou thinks they have a rivalry going with us and the game means a lot more to them than it does to us and I think that emotion carried them, plus it was on the night they were having a fundraiser or something for one of the coaches daughters who had cancer.

Glad we have them twice next year. Payback is a bee itch.

Swinesong1

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 24, 2017, 07:56:33 am
So is this the latest battle/rallying cry?  The team is 21-7 and 10-5.  Why not enjoy the ride?  Has it been pretty?  No!  But, why continue to act like the team has a terrible record?

Atlhogfan1

The criticism was well deserved as is the credit for the last 3.5 games. 

Irwin seems a little obsessed over the criticism of Anderson thing as he brought it up in his A&M preview too in the beginning while ignoring obvious factors going into the game which would affect the outcome:  A&M's propensity to turn the ball over, lack of depth, inability to get to the FT line and missing a 12ppg scorer.  I get it.  He went with the commentary from the press conference on selling A&M's strengths.  But if you are going to spend time editorializing, spend a little on some other factors. 

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hogs-prep-for-upset-minded-aggies/660563758

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 22, 2017, 02:00:40 pm
Aw hell, here we go again. When the earth ends it will be Mike Anderson's fault. Seven newcomers means your not going to be world beaters overnight unless they all are potential lottery picks. Takes time to gel and figure out the real strengths of your team.

If Mike can get the job done I'm all for him remaining our head coach. My ONLY agenda is a strong desire to see our basketball team dancing if not every season, then most seasons. Having said all of that, pointing to seven new players is nothing but an excuse. UK has several new players as well. At least two of their starters were playing hs basketball last season and we're McDonald's AA, while two of our new players were playing JUCO ball and the were rated #'s 1 & 3 in all of junior college basketball.
It's the coaches responsibility to get these new guys to mesh with his holdovers and keep moving forward.
What I'm trying to say is that new players on a team is something that all head coaches must deal with and some coaches seem to be better at getting the new players to buy in than some of their peers.
We have a weak inside game and all it takes is an off night from behind the 3 point line and we'll be back to where we were following the OSU-Stillwater,  Missouri and Vanderbilt games.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

JayBell

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 24, 2017, 08:45:27 amThe criticism was well deserved as is the credit for the last 3.5 games. 

Irwin seems a little obsessed over the criticism of Anderson thing as he brought it up in his A&M preview too in the beginning while ignoring obvious factors going into the game which would affect the outcome:  A&M's propensity to turn the ball over, lack of depth, inability to get to the FT line and missing a 12ppg scorer.  I get it.  He went with the commentary from the press conference on selling A&M's strengths.  But if you are going to spend time editorializing, spend a little on some other factors. 

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hogs-prep-for-upset-minded-aggies/660563758

This.  I don't see how you can "flip the script on critics" when you find more success by doing what your critics wanted you to do.

Anderson deserves blame for being overly stubborn and sticking to deficient schemes.  He also deserves credit for (finally!) making some adjustments in the last few games.

There were a few people claiming Anderson "lost the team."  I can see how you can work the narrative that he "flipped the script" on those over the last few games.  But as far as X's and O's, he's merely doing what many of us have been asking him to do for years.  As long as he keeps openly admitting he doesn't scout his opponents, criticisms of his coaching decisions will persist.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JayBell on February 24, 2017, 10:23:15 am
This.  I don't see how you can "flip the script on critics" when you find more success by doing what your critics wanted you to do.

Anderson deserves blame for being overly stubborn and sticking to deficient schemes.  He also deserves credit for (finally!) making some adjustments in the last few games.

There were a few people claiming Anderson "lost the team."  I can see how you can work the narrative that he "flipped the script" on those over the last few games.  But as far as X's and O's, he's merely doing what many of us have been asking him to do for years.  As long as he keeps openly admitting he doesn't scout his opponents, criticisms of his coaching decisions will persist.

In hindsight it appears the closer reality was he didn't have the team yet. Not all had bought in apparently. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

riccoar

What people who have been critical of Mike want, is to see the script remain as it has from the last 3 weeks.

forrest city joe

Mike is right on the money. most of you folks here on Hogville wanted Mike fired afyer Mizzo. and it was a done deal after Vandy. the entire Script has changed in 2 weeks. hogs are winning again.looks like they will make the Dance.Hogville said people were done with Mike,and would not come to the games anymore. now almost 15,000 a game is coming. i love how Mike is reminding folks how Mike has turn the tables on you fire Mike guys. nothing wrong with what he wrote.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 24, 2017, 10:56:53 am
Mike is right on the money. most of you folks here on Hogville wanted Mike fired afyer Mizzo. and it was a done deal after Vandy. the entire Script has changed in 2 weeks. hogs are winning again.looks like they will make the Dance.Hogville said people were done with Mike,and would not come to the games anymore. now almost 15,000 a game is coming. i love how Mike is reminding folks how Mike has turn the tables on you fire Mike guys. nothing wrong with what he wrote.

While I am happy with the recent turn of events, I also am cautious with these final 3 games. @ Auburn and Florida won't be easy, and two losses there will have our NCAA Tournament momentum going in the wrong direction. Georgia isn't a slouch team either, but I expect a win at home on senior night.

Just simply win the Mizzou game, and we are solidly in the tournament right now, despite the final 3 games. Finish 1-2, and I think we will have to win a SEC tournament game to make the dance.

Long way to go before this season can be declared a success, i.e. making the Dance.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 24, 2017, 08:05:08 am
Different teams, different days. Plus, Mizzou gave KY a nice challenge before folding in the second half.

Also, for some reason,Excuse 1 Mizzou thinks they have a rivalry going with us and the game means a lot more to them than it does to us and I think that emotion carried them, Excuse 2 plus it was on the night they were having a fundraiser or something for one of the coaches daughters who had cancer.

Glad we have them twice next year. Payback is a bee itch.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 24, 2017, 11:05:42 am
While I am happy with the recent turn of events, I also am cautious with these final 3 games. @ Auburn and Florida won't be easy, and two losses there will have our NCAA Tournament momentum going in the wrong direction. Georgia isn't a slouch team either, but I expect a win at home on senior night.

Just simply win the Mizzou game, and we are solidly in the tournament right now, despite the final 3 games. Finish 1-2, and I think we will have to win a SEC tournament game to make the dance.

Long way to go before this season can be declared a success, i.e. making the Dance.
Nothing is for sure. so making the dance is not a sure thing.the point is don't fly off the handle wanting people fired every time something goes bad.it's a long season. and some of you folks gave up to soon.i don't see one fire Mike Anderson post on here right now.the Hogs lose to Auburn.and they will start popping up again.some of you need to take a chill pill.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 24, 2017, 11:17:41 am
Nothing is for sure. so making the dance is not a sure thing.the point is don't fly off the handle wanting people fired every time something goes bad.it's a long season. and some of you folks gave up to soon.i don't see one fire Mike Anderson post on here right now.the Hogs lose to Auburn.and they will start popping up again.some of you need to take a chill pill.

There are no fire Mike posts because he is projected to be in the tournament as of now. If that changes, so will his approval.

It's year six, and the most fair and appropriate standard for success is NCAA Tournament or bust.

Razorback de Nosferatu

I'm proud of the way the Razorbacks responded to that dreadful Mizzou-Vandy week.  I'm optimistic again that Mike can truly at LEAST get the Razorbacks back to a top 25 level of success and be a regular in the NCAAT; that's the first step toward returning to glory, and it's a big step.

But now, the Hogs are officially entering the stretch in which they'll either tank, as we've seen in the past, or they'll prove the corner has indeed been turned and all but lock up the NCAAT, perhaps even before the SECT. 

If it's the latter, this season, to me, will be more impressive and will instill more optimism in me about Anderson than our last trip to the Dance, which was pretty much the work of Qualls and Portis--that's not to take anything away from Anderson, or Qualls's development as a player, or anything else...  I simply think, if the last four games truly are indicative of what we'll see going forward, when it matters most, this year's success has been much more of a team effort, with much of that team being inexperienced in major college basketball.  :razorback: