Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pet Peeve...

Started by dalefromspringdale, November 08, 2017, 01:47:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dalefromspringdale

Is when people blame injuries for losing a game or a season, as if the teams we were playing had 0 injuries. Injuries are a part of every sport. If you go back to the spring and bring back every single player that was injured including RW, the only game that may have changed the outcome was the A&M game. BUT if we're blaming our performance on injuries, we can't overlook the fact that A&M didn't have their starting QB. If they had their starting QB for the whole game against UCLA they would've won. Same thing goes for the South Carolina game. They were playing with their backup QB and had a few starting O-Line hurt.

Yes, this team has been plagued with injuries, but our record would be the same regardless! Maybe over the course of the next few weeks our key injuries could make a difference in the outcome of the games, but we can't keep telling ourselves we would be better if players didn't get injured because players will get injured.

HoggyCat

Especially when we had already lost to TCU & A&M when the injuries started. Yeah, RW3 was big & before season, but it's not like there wasn't RBs ready to step up.....  bert just refused to use them. And Cornelius' injury was during A&M, but that's also after the embarrassing TCU loss.

Plus we beat ole miss WITH injuries.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

dalefromspringdale

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 08, 2017, 01:56:23 pm
Plus we beat ole miss WITH injuries.

A team with a backup QC also.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: dalefromspringdale on November 08, 2017, 01:47:58 pm
Is when people blame injuries for losing a game or a season, as if the teams we were playing had 0 injuries. Injuries are a part of every sport. If you go back to the spring and bring back every single player that was injured including RW, the only game that may have changed the outcome was the A&M game. BUT if we're blaming our performance on injuries, we can't overlook the fact that A&M didn't have their starting QB. If they had their starting QB for the whole game against UCLA they would've won. Same thing goes for the South Carolina game. They were playing with their backup QB and had a few starting O-Line hurt.

Yes, this team has been plagued with injuries, but our record would be the same regardless! Maybe over the course of the next few weeks our key injuries could make a difference in the outcome of the games, but we can't keep telling ourselves we would be better if players didn't get injured because players will get injured.
Totally understand and agree. However, our major problem is that at many positions the kid who was injured can't be replaced with a player of equal or better quality. Many of the teams we face don't share the same issue.

Smalltownhog95

Im a Packers fan so im really not in a good place to talk injuries and the impact they have on a team..
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My pet peeve is when someone will crap next to you in a public restroom and not give a courtesy flush.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 11:10:57 pm
My pet peeve is when someone will crap next to you in a public restroom and not give a courtesy flush.!!
Way T.M.I.

hogfan870

People driving slow in the left lane

Tortfeasor

Don't forget Coastal Carolina's backbup threw all around the yard on us. With the improper way they have used Hammonds, it makes me wonder if we have some WR's that could step up and contribute but they're not getting the chance.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 08, 2017, 11:20:05 pm
Way T.M.I.

You ought to hear what I tell the low rent, whore hopping,butt munching SOB stinking up the room next to me...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MissippHog

My biggest pet peeves are with people who always find something to complain about.

HardingHog

South Carolina had Jake Bentley the entire game when we played them. He's the only one who threw a pass for them according to the stats I saw

I do mostly agree with you, and at the end of the day I don't know how much difference it makes in the W/L column. However, there's not many teams that would still be afloat after losing (at any point in the season):
Starting QB - Allen
Best RB - RW3
2nd or 3rd best RB - Hayden
Best OL - Ragnow
Best WR (and basically the only one who has ever played coming into this season) - Cornelius
Best CB - Pulley

Yes, injuries happen and are a part of the game, but we probably couldn't have picked a worse 6 guys to get hurt

Nashville Fan

If Houston Nutt had lost Matt Jones to a career ending injury he would have been fired four years earlier. Injuries matter when you don't recruit enough talent and don't develop the talent you recruit to your conference level.
Pittman or Bust!

Hog-Corleone

No injuries on the D-line at all, and none on the O-Line until the season was already in the tank.  And those are the two most under performing units on the team.  So no, injuries were not the issue with this team. Period.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

SquidBilly

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 11:10:57 pm

Definitely under used and under rated.

Shrevepork

JaketheSnake

Ketchup on hot dogs.  This is what is wrong with America.

We've had our share of injuries but one reason they hurt us so bad is usually the backup has no training or experience.  If you remember, we've found many decent players only because the Guy in front of them got hurt.  Many times we've been told that a certain individual or group doesn't get it but when the only player who they say does get it goes down, in comes one or more good players to take their place.  Morgan was an excellent example of this.  Bottom line is this staff doesn't get it.  We do not prepare for anything.  We won't play a second teamer unless forced to.  The only thing we do well is kill player attitudes, ruin them mentally and refuse to teach them anything.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 08, 2017, 03:56:03 pm
Totally understand and agree. However, our major problem is that at many positions the kid who was injured can't be replaced with a player of equal or better quality. Many of the teams we face don't share the same issue.

Yep, quality depth issues.
Go Hogs Go!

HoggyCat

Quote from: dalefromspringdale on November 08, 2017, 01:59:42 pm
A team with a backup QC also.

And Tennessee is 4-5 with a lot more time missed by starters than we have, and only 2 blowout losses... both to #1 & #2 in the nation.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

rzrbaxfan

My issue with the injury excuse is that a majority of the injuries are on the offensive side and there have been many players step up to fill the void.  How does that explain a defense that lets Coastal Carolina move the ball up and down the field?

It's year 5 and we are experimenting with a new defensive formation.  Folks said our D couldn't get any worse after last year.  They are proven wrong.  We are the worst in the nation when it comes to putting pressure on the other team's QB.  That has nothing to do with injuries.

dalefromspringdale

Quote from: HardingHog on November 09, 2017, 12:48:25 am
South Carolina had Jake Bentley the entire game when we played them. He's the only one who threw a pass for them according to the stats I saw

I do mostly agree with you, and at the end of the day I don't know how much difference it makes in the W/L column. However, there's not many teams that would still be afloat after losing (at any point in the season):
Starting QB - Allen
Best RB - RW3
Best OL - Ragnow
Best WR (and basically the only one who has ever played coming into this season) - Cornelius
Best CB - Pulley

Yes, injuries happen and are a part of the game, but we probably couldn't have picked a worse 6 guys to get hurt

Sorry, I don't keep up with South Carolina at all. I think I may be thinking about their stud WR not playing that game then. I completely get what you're saying. We lost some key players at key positions, but the way the games have gone I don't think we would've won any more than we have to this point had we not lost some of those players. And I'm a huge fan of Pulley, I think he's a stud in man coverage. The only game that we had a chance to win (A&M) we had 4 of the players you named above. The O line has been our problem all season and they were healthy up until Ragnow got hurt, but we had already seen enough from them to know the O line was horrible with or without him.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I love dealing in absolutes. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: HardingHog on November 09, 2017, 12:48:25 am

Starting QB - Allen
Best RB - RW3
Best OL - Ragnow
Best CB - Pulley

I'll add to your list.
K. Jackson
Hammonds
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.