Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think Mortenson should start

Started by FaytownHog, April 16, 2008, 07:26:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

the senior day game. Even if it were only one snap. I think it would be a nice gesture, and if were trying 2 win the west or something then we could pull him quick, but if not, let him have the first series IMO.

Hogginitall

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 16, 2008, 07:47:48 am
1st of all, Mortenson is not a senior.....he is classified as a redshirt junior.

What's 2nd?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lildrummerboy2004 on April 16, 2008, 07:26:20 am
the senior day game. Even if it were only one snap. I think it would be a nice gesture, and if were trying 2 win the west or something then we could pull him quick, but if not, let him have the first series IMO.

He should start only if he earns it.  Based on my observations of Mortenson's personality and character, I think he'd agree with me...the best players start.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Kilgor

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 07:48:22 am
What's 2nd?

That Casey Dick, who is out playing all other QBs in spring practice (Mallett included before he got hurt) IS a senior. 

Thankfully Bobby Petrino will play the best QB instead of playing favorites.  I remember being at the 2006 LSU game in the Rock while Casey completed 3 passes (none in the second half) and Nutt kept 8-0 Mustain on the bench.  I yelled at that moron until I could yell no more, but Nutt was determined to screw Arkansas out of a national championship berth that we WOULD have had with wins over LSU and Florida.  Urban Meyer probably still sends Nutt a fruit basket at christmas.

WHAT A DUMBASS he was.   >:(
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Clint Alan

Why would you want to start Mortenson? He is not a senior this year, Dick is a senior and is the starting QB.

"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

The Marmot

I dont think Petrino is worried about "nice gestures" right now. He's got a team to build.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hog_fan

i like to know how Alex isn't a senior

2004-freshman
2005-RS freshman
2006-RS SO at Samford
2007 RS JUnior while sitting out at Arkansas
2008-RS senior

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hog_fan on April 16, 2008, 08:16:57 am
i like to know how Alex isn't a senior

2004-freshman
2005-RS freshman
2006-RS SO at Samford
2007 RS JUnior while sitting out at Arkansas
2008-RS senior

I believe you are correct.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogginitall

Quote from: Kilgor on April 16, 2008, 08:03:53 am
That Casey Dick, who is out playing all other QBs in spring practice (Mallett included before he got hurt) IS a senior. 

Thankfully Bobby Petrino will play the best QB instead of playing favorites.  I remember being at the 2006 LSU game in the Rock while Casey completed 3 passes (none in the second half) and Nutt kept 8-0 Mustain on the bench.  I yelled at that moron until I could yell no more, but Nutt was determined to screw Arkansas out of a national championship berth that we WOULD have had with wins over LSU and Florida.  Urban Meyer probably still sends Nutt a fruit basket at christmas.

WHAT A DUMBASS he was.   >:(

I agree that he should've at least put Mustain in there to see what he could do.  But, I'm not so sure he could've done any better.  I know Mustain was 8-0 (really 7-0 if you don't count the 0-1, 0 yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int performance against USC) as a starter against a bunch of weaklings and Auburn, but he really was outperformed by Casey most of the year.

#1 STUNNA

Mortenson is just a junior. I am living with him next year.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on April 16, 2008, 08:20:43 am
Mortenson is just a junior. I am living with him next year.
Who cleans the toilets?
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

opineonswine

Whatever for?  What, exactly, has he done to warrant any special treatment?  I don't get it...at all.

Sao Ming

I may be wrong but this thread might make it's way to a certain signature list soon.

The Lemming

Soccer Mom?

LSPRazorbac

Ok even if he was a senior why start him over Casey Dick on Senior Day.

Mortensen transferred from Arkansas but then returned a year later.

Casey has been with Arkansas all four years. 

I can understand letting Mortensen play at some point in the game but I wouldn't start him over Casey unless Mortensen was the better QB.

HOG RED UMP

"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

hogsanity

I thought we wanted to get rid of "special treatment" of certain players.  What has Am done to warrant this over CD?  Whay not start ALL of the SR's, even if it means a penalty for too many men on the field?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

spudhog

I think this would be a nice sentiment. But, to sacrifice one senior's happiness at the expense of another's is not a fair trade. If the starting qb tells am to start, then I am down with that.

A lot of things in life "should" happen but as we all know, that's not what always happens.

Sao Ming

I advocate we do not keep score.

At the end of each game, we all make a parents arch for the team to run under and everyone gets a Capri Sun and/or Otter Pop.

A participation ring to everyone at the end of the season?  Yes!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 16, 2008, 07:57:13 am
He should start only if he earns it.  Based on my observations of Mortenson's personality and character, I think he'd agree with me...the best players start.

What?  You don't think we should pull a Nutt and start Ryan Sorahan every week?

Does anyone remember the talk near the end of the '03 season that Matt Jones might declare for the draft after his junior year?  I remember thinking as the offense took the field for the first time against Mississippi State in Fayetteville that year that it would be typical HDN B.S. if Matt didn't even start the final home game of his career.

FaytownHog

no mom or dad here, just am is a good guy and never had a chance under the qbkilla and with the guys comming in wont have a chance then either. i hadnt heard about him being a 5th year jr.

El Puerco

Quote from: Sao Ming on April 16, 2008, 09:19:34 am
I may be wrong but this thread might make it's way to a certain signature list soon.

You talkin' top 5 on this baby?

Sao Ming

Kilgor

Quote from: lildrummerboy2004 on April 16, 2008, 09:46:21 am
...(Mort) never had a chance under the qbkilla...

And Dick did?  Even if Mort was a senior, why would he deserve the start over Casey (senior)?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

Let's see - Casey Dick has his redshirt blown his freshman year to play in 4 games, lost the starting job his sophomore year due to a back injury, endured the wrath of the Hog fans when Mustain was benched, has now had 4 different QB coaches and 4 different OC in his 4 years here.
I think that that's the kid that deserves to be honored on Senior Day.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

roundball

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 08:18:12 am
I agree that he should've at least put Mustain in there to see what he could do.  But, I'm not so sure he could've done any better.  I know Mustain was 8-0 (really 7-0 if you don't count the 0-1, 0 yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int performance against USC) as a starter against a bunch of weaklings and Auburn, but he really was outperformed by Casey most of the year.

I don't think Casey outperformed Mustain at all! Just with Mustains' presence on the field the secondary had to respect the pass, thus leaving huge runnning lanes for McFadden and Jones. Why mess up your teams chemistry the eighth game of the season?

I've said it before, Stafford did not have a very good freshman year, but Georgia stuck with him! Aren't they preseason #1 and Stafford is a legite QB!!!

bigarrazorback

Quote from: Kilgor on April 16, 2008, 08:03:53 am

WHAT A DUMBASS he was.   >:(
You were not alone I was doing the exact same thing

Hogginitall

Quote from: roundball on April 16, 2008, 10:15:59 am

I don't think Casey outperformed Mustain at all! Just with Mustains' presence on the field the secondary had to respect the pass, thus leaving huge runnning lanes for McFadden and Jones. Why mess up your teams chemistry the eighth game of the season?

I've said it before, Stafford did not have a very good freshman year, but Georgia stuck with him! Aren't they preseason #1 and Stafford is a legite QB!!!

Mustain had the same amount of passing attempts against arguably MUCH easier teams, had 4 more completions, 97 less yards, 1 more TD, and 3 more INTs than Dick had.

Passing 
  Name                    G   QBRat  Att   Comp  Pct   Yds   Y/A   Y/G   TD   Int
  Casey Dick            10   125.7  132   65     49.2   991   7.5   99.1    9   6
  Mitch Mustain        11   120.5  132   69     52.3   894   6.8   81.3   10   9 

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/aan/stats?year=2006

In my opinion, Dick outplayed Mustain.  And he did it against tougher teams.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 11:08:09 am
Mustain had the same amount of passing attempts against arguably MUCH easier teams, had 4 more completions, 97 less yards, 1 more TD, and 3 more INTs than Dick had.

Passing 
  Name                    G   QBRat  Att   Comp  Pct   Yds   Y/A   Y/G   TD   Int
  Casey Dick            10   125.7  132   65     49.2   991   7.5   99.1    9   6
  Mitch Mustain        11   120.5  132   69     52.3   894   6.8   81.3   10   9 

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/aan/stats?year=2006

In my opinion, Dick outplayed Mustain.  And he did it against tougher teams.

There is only one stats the matters...... wins and losses.  If you go by QB rating, Trent Green and Neil Lomax were better QBs than Troy Aikman.  Some times its about when you do it.  It's also about how you lead a team and how those perform around you.  Those things lead to wins and losses.  Whats the old saying "stats are for losers"?

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/top20/passer_ratings.jsp

LSPRazorbac

April 16, 2008, 12:26:59 pm #30 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:29:14 pm by LSPRazorbac

Hogginitall

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 16, 2008, 12:07:58 pm
There is only one stats the matters...... wins and losses.  If you go by QB rating, Trent Green and Neil Lomax were better QBs than Troy Aikman.  Some times its about when you do it.  It's also about how you lead a team and how those perform around you.  Those things lead to wins and losses.  Whats the old saying "stats are for losers"?

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/top20/passer_ratings.jsp

That's the thing, who did we play while Mustain was the QB?  If you play and beat 6 nobodies, 1 average team, and one good team (in which you only throw 10 passes), it isn't really that impressive.  That is, unless you are talking about Mustain.

No, Dick's record isn't as impressive as Mustain's, but he played a MUCH, MUCH tougher schedule than Mustain.  Winning football games, especially in 2006 for the Razorbacks, is about A LOT more than the play of the QB.

If stats are for losers, than so is saying something like "Mustain was 8-0 as the starting QB at Arkansas" or "he was benched after making one mistake in the South Carolina game".  Those types of comments are a bunch of BS.  They don't tell the whole story.  How did he perform in those games where we went 8-0?  Why do people count the 8th game (he started, threw one pass, and it was intercepted---we never heard from him again)?  Who were the opponents during those 7 games that we won and he played a majority of the snaps?  SEMO, Utah State, Mississippi, Vandy, Alabama (in which we won in spite of Mustain's horrendous performance), etc.  Compare that to Casey's opponents of LSU, Tennessee, @ South Carolina, @Mississippi State, etc. and you get a more clear picture of what really happened.

Pigdiana Jones

This is the age old thing that really irritates me about Mitch and his 'starting' record.

Yes he's 8-0 as the starter, but I could start the game and play one snap handing the ball off to someone, leave the game and sit on the bench the rest of the game, and if my team won, i would be the winner as a starting QB.

Starting QB records are overrated. So stop saying mitch was 8-0 and all this crap. It means nothing. It is a team effort, not a starting QB's effort.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Kilgor

April 16, 2008, 12:47:25 pm #33 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:49:26 pm by Kilgor
Quote from: salebow on April 16, 2008, 12:33:47 pm
This is the age old thing that really irritates me about Mitch and his 'starting' record.

Yes he's 8-0 as the starter, but I could start the game and play one snap handing the ball off to someone, leave the game and sit on the bench the rest of the game, and if my team won, i would be the winner as a starting QB.

Starting QB records are overrated. So stop saying mitch was 8-0 and all this crap. It means nothing. It is a team effort, not a starting QB's effort.

You convinced me.  Mitch had nothing to do with his 8-0 record in the games he started.  Casey of course has earned his 13-9 record right?  McFadden and Jones were just cheerleaders for him right?

And when Casey was going 3 of 17 for 29 yards and an interception, it made sense to leave the All American that was 8-0 as a starter on the bench.  Nutt certainly didn't put any personal animosity ahead of THE TEAM did he?  Nawww!!!

That's where Nutt lost me.  I supported him until he showed without a doubt that he was put his own personal vendetta ahead of THE TEAM.

mj4president

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 12:28:37 pm
That's the thing, who did we play while Mustain was the QB?  If you play and beat 6 nobodies, 1 average team, and one good team (in which you only throw 10 passes), it isn't really that impressive.  That is, unless you are talking about Mustain.

No, Dick's record isn't as impressive as Mustain's, but he played a MUCH, MUCH tougher schedule than Mustain.  Winning football games, especially in 2006 for the Razorbacks, is about A LOT more than the play of the QB.

If stats are for losers, than so is saying something like "Mustain was 8-0 as the starting QB at Arkansas" or "he was benched after making one mistake in the South Carolina game".  Those types of comments are a bunch of BS.  They don't tell the whole story.  How did he perform in those games where we went 8-0?  Why do people count the 8th game (he started, threw one pass, and it was intercepted---we never heard from him again)?  Who were the opponents during those 7 games that we won and he played a majority of the snaps?  SEMO, Utah State, Mississippi, Vandy, Alabama (in which we won in spite of Mustain's horrendous performance), etc.  Compare that to Casey's opponents of LSU, Tennessee, @ South Carolina, @Mississippi State, etc. and you get a more clear picture of what really happened.

Amen brotha.

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Hogginitall

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 16, 2008, 01:05:52 pm
Mustains stats against SEMO as a starter
13 attempts   5 completions    51 yards

Mustains stats against La-Monroe as a starter
18 attempts  7 completions 71 yards  2 TD's-2 Int's

Don't you know that "stats are for losers"?

David†

Congratulations lildrummerboy2004 on your new "Coopy Award". LOL

Shuga Town HEMI

Hogginitall

Quote from: Shuga Town HEMI on April 16, 2008, 01:38:05 pm
Mitch was also a true freshman.

In 2005, Dick's numbers were just as good as Mustain's as a true freshman, if not better.  Point is, any QB you put in the Nutt offense was going to do the same...all average to bad.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 16, 2008, 08:17:35 am
I had the same question, but it was explained on the radio and in the newspaper that because he was classified as a part-time student in the fall of 2007 that it did not count as one of the 5 years to play 4.
I believe that is correct.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 12:28:37 pm

If stats are for losers, than so is saying something like "Mustain was 8-0 as the starting QB at Arkansas" or "he was benched after making one mistake in the South Carolina game".  Those types of comments are a bunch of BS.  They don't tell the whole story.  How did he perform in those games where we went 8-0?  Why do people count the 8th game (he started, threw one pass, and it was intercepted---we never heard from him again)? 

First of all, I never said 8-0...you Mitch haters are the ones that bring it up.  I haven't read it in this thread one time except for those that say they are tired of hearing about it.  Second of all, a won-loss record isn't a considered a statistic.  The saying "stats are for losers" originated because of people who didn't win as much as the other guy needed a reason to explain why they are really better than the guy that won all the time. 

Hogginitall

April 16, 2008, 02:05:56 pm #41 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:07:53 pm by Hogginitall
Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 16, 2008, 02:01:20 pm
First of all, I never said 8-0...you Mitch haters are the ones that bring it up.  I haven't read it in this thread one time except for those that say they are tired of hearing about it.  Second of all, a won-loss record isn't a considered a statistic.  The saying "stats are for losers" originated because of people who didn't win as much as the other guy needed a reason to explain why they are really better than the guy that won all the time. 

So, if I'm the starting QB for Arkansas and we go 8-0 against the Citadel, UT-Chatanooga, SEMO, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Memphis, and Buffalo, I'm considered better than a guy who goes 5-3 against LSU, Tennessee, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Michigan (even if I had less yards and more interceptions on the same number of attempts than the other guy)?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense ??? .

justmakeit2thebcs

An now back to the original question "of should Alex start on senior day for one play".   The answer is simple....ask Alex.  He'll tell you no way in hell does he want to start if he isn't the best man for the job.  Starting on senior day for just a play or two just because your a senior is nothing more than pity.  Show me one competitior that wants pity.  It would be a slap in the face, Alex wouldn't do it if he was given the option.  The question is moot.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogginitall on April 16, 2008, 02:05:56 pm
So, if I'm the starting QB for Arkansas and we go 8-0 against the Citadel, UT-Chatanooga, SEMO, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Memphis, and Buffalo, I'm better than a guy who goes 5-3 against LSU, Tennessee, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Michigan (even if I had less yards and more interceptions on the same number of attempts than the other guy)?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense ??? .
Perhaps you are.....how would you know?  stats? 

Hogginitall

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 16, 2008, 02:08:33 pm
Perhaps you are.....how would you know?  stats? 

Really....yeah.  If I have a #1 QB that attempts the same number of passes, but has more interceptions and less yards against a much easier schedule than my #2 QB, I'm pretty sure I'd play the #2 QB.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 16, 2008, 02:06:38 pm
An now back to the original question "of should Alex start on senior day for one play".   The answer is simple....ask Alex.  He'll tell you no way in hell does he want to start if he isn't the best man for the job.  Starting on senior day for just a play or two just because your a senior is nothing more than pity.  Show me one competitior that wants pity.  It would be a slap in the face, Alex wouldn't do it if he was given the option.  The question is moot.
How about we revisit it next year when he is a senior?

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Shuga Town HEMI on April 16, 2008, 01:38:05 pm
Mitch was also a true freshman.

So?

Poor play is poor play, whether freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

FaytownHog

thanks! lol
Quote from: purplehog44 on April 16, 2008, 01:19:45 pm
Congratulations lildrummerboy2004 on your new "Coopy Award". LOL

agreed! i wasn't aware he was technically a jr or i wouldn't have suggested it. casey has definantly been dealt his blows with the qbkilla, agreed, and i've been to the practices and he HAS been the best qb on the field, so he'll be starting, most likely EVERY game.
Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 16, 2008, 02:30:21 pm
How about we revisit it next year when he is a senior?

roundball

It's stupid to say Casey outperformed Mitch..Perhaps you missed the point I made about Stafford at Georgia!!

I understand that everyone is mad because of the fact Mitch transfered..honestly, Nutt's the one to be mad at! I would have kept Mitch in the whole season and I guarantee you we woulld have been deadly this past year.

Everyone respected the pass when Mitch was in the game, while the secondary's eye light up when Casey dropped back to pass. That's so ignorant to think Casey was the better man as QB, but none of that matters now. It just shows you how stupid Nutt was!!!!

Hogginitall

Quote from: roundball on April 17, 2008, 11:25:29 am
It's stupid to say Casey outperformed Mitch..Perhaps you missed the point I made about Stafford at Georgia!!

I understand that everyone is mad because of the fact Mitch transfered..honestly, Nutt's the one to be mad at! I would have kept Mitch in the whole season and I guarantee you we woulld have been deadly this past year.

Everyone respected the pass when Mitch was in the game, while the secondary's eye light up when Casey dropped back to pass. That's so ignorant to think Casey was the better man as QB, but none of that matters now. It just shows you how stupid Nutt was!!!!

He outperformed him against better competition.  We're not talking about the perceptions of defenses.  We're talking about performance on the field.  Casey put up better numbers against much tougher opponents than Mitch Mustain.  Therefore, he outperformed him.  Pretty simple, really.