Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I probably should know this but

Started by lynbug, February 15, 2017, 02:35:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

why aren't the NCAA play-in games comprise of 16th seeds?

Hawg Red

Probably to drive up interest. And, to be fair, the play-in games were created to put more bubble teams in the tournament, so it makes some sense to bubble teams square off in play-in games.

Personally, I'm with you in that it should be all 16 seeds. But I guess that isn't very "fair."

Kevin

because the ncaa did not think it would be fair to the smaller leagues. because they would have been the ones playing in those games all the time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Having 2 11 seeds play each other is fine, gets ride of a bubble team.  Plus, Aren't all the auto qualifiers guaranteed a spot in the field of 64, not just a play in game?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nationwish

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 03:04:58 pm
Having 2 11 seeds play each other is fine, gets ride of a bubble team.  Plus, Aren't all the auto qualifiers guaranteed a spot in the field of 64, not just a play in game?

No, they can be put into those games also. Those games are considered part of the tournament, so they technically aren't games to play yourself into it.

masondh

Those play-in games are given to the last 4 at large teams in the tournament. The bottom seeds are all AQs from tiny conferences

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nationwish on February 15, 2017, 09:28:23 pm
No, they can be put into those games also. Those games are considered part of the tournament, so they technically aren't games to play yourself into it.

I find it strange that they are called play-in games as well given that the calls it an expansion of the field to 68.

k.c.hawg

It is called the First Four now. Also games on Thursday and Friday are now 2nd round games as the First Four are the 1st round. They are trying hard to get away from them being referred to as play in games. They have slotted in anywhere from 11 to 16 lately and there have been instances where one region gets two of the teams and some other region might not get any. All 4 games are in Dayton and Tuesday winners get Thursday games, Wednesday winners get Friday games. They also have tended to try to get them into regions closer to Dayton and tried to avoid sending teams west. Tennessee is still the best achiever having gone to the Sweet 16. It works building momentum for the tourney for schlupps like me.....last 3 years I arrive in Vegas on Tuesday instead of late Wednesday evening. Four more games of action!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: masondh on February 15, 2017, 09:44:07 pm
Those play-in games are given to the last 4 at large teams in the tournament. The bottom seeds are all AQs from tiny conferences

There have been 16 seeds in the play-in games.

Stewhog 11

Every year there are 4 play in games involving 8 teams, 2 in which the bottom 4 auto bid teams play (16 seeds), and 2 in which the bottom 4 at-large teams play ("Last Four In"). The lowest seed an at-large team is allowed to be is a 12, but sometimes when enough of the auto bid teams are seeded worse than the worst at-large teams, those at-large teams end up as 11 seeds. This is why sometimes one of the play in games involves two 11 seeds, sometimes they are 12 seeds. It's just how the bracket turned out that year.

lynbug

I just wish they wouldn't call them "Play in games".  If they're gonna expand the bracket just say they made the bracket.  JMO.