Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson

Started by biglewhog77, February 12, 2017, 11:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If we fire coach Anderson tomorrow do you think Arkansas get a top ten coach to come here

YES
29 (20.3%)
NO
81 (56.6%)
MAYBE
33 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Voting closed: March 15, 2017, 12:30:24 am

biglewhog77

Also give the name of a top ten coach that Arkansas can replace Mike Anderson with

MikePiazza

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 12, 2017, 11:30:24 pm
Also give the name of a top ten coach that Arkansas can replace Mike Anderson with

Gene Keady
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hogwood

What is a top 10 coach? Like a top 10 mid-major/up-and-comer coach or do you mean an actual top 10 coach? Because Self, K, Pitino, Wright, Boeheim, etc aren't leaving their jobs to come here.

East Clintwood

If we can get a top 50 coach it would be a huge improvement.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Pork Twain

Most top 10 coaches already have really good jobs.  How about a ten coach that is available?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Razorod

Here are a couple of lists to work from:

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/college-basketball-coach-rankings-mike-krzyzewski-tom-izzo-john-calipari-roy-williams-bill-self

I would imagine you'd have to scratch Coach K, Roy, Calipari, Self, Izzo, Pitino, Boeheim, and Few off the list. Maybe Wright or Bennett, but doubt it.

Of course, this list is likely to look a bit different in a few years. Several of these coaches are getting closer to retirement. When you look at these lists as a whole you begin to get a picture of who's respected and who's not.

Plust there is the up-and-comer lists, which might be more helpful and likely:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2667494-up-and-coming-college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2016-17

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576411-up-and-coming-college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2015-16

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richcampbell/2016/04/05/10-best-ncaa-basketball-coaches-for-the-next-10-years/#1e3e9a321607
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

JayBell

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 13, 2017, 02:22:12 amIf we can get a top 50 coach it would be a huge improvement.

This is the point.  Arkansas already has top 10-ish facilities.  We have this weird concept that just because Dana Altman blew off Arkansas literally almost 10 years ago that the program is in some kind of disgrace and can't lure anybody in.

Say what you want about Bielema, Anderson and Dykes' actual job performance, they were all seen as really good hires.  They all had great reputations.  Jeff Long is really respected by his peers and we tend to denigrate his hires with hindsight and forget how well received all of the hires were when they were announced.

With the facilities and history Arkansas has, Long can lure in another really good coach.  One NCAA Tournament in six years isn't acceptable for this program.  You don't need a top 10 coach to do better than that.

Pork Twain

I think we could realistically get a top-5 available coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

biglewhog77

biglewhog77

Quote from: hogwood on February 12, 2017, 11:44:49 pm
What is a top 10 coach? Like a top 10 mid-major/up-and-comer coach or do you mean an actual top 10 coach? Because Self, K, Pitino, Wright, Boeheim, etc aren't leaving their jobs to come here.

I think a top 10 mid-major wouldn't want to come here cause of the fans and bad support right now,but everybody just leave Coach alone and let him run the program the good days right around the corner.

biglewhog77

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 13, 2017, 02:22:12 am

I bet you was same person begging for Mike to come here.

biglewhog77

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2017, 05:24:40 am
Andrew Stoglin.

You been drinking right.......This man about 300 years old

biglewhog77

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2017, 05:48:16 am
Most top 10 coaches already have really good jobs.  How about a ten coach that is available?

I think we need to send that quote to Coach B not Coach A

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Bad question...depends what you term a top ten coach?

Plus, people would be happy to settle just for a tourny coach at this point!  :puke:

biglewhog77

Quote from: Razorod on February 13, 2017, 06:08:53 am
Here are a couple of lists to work from:

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/college-basketball-coach-rankings-mike-krzyzewski-tom-izzo-john-calipari-roy-williams-bill-self

I would imagine you'd have to scratch Coach K, Roy, Calipari, Self, Izzo, Pitino, Boeheim, and Few off the list. Maybe Wright or Bennett, but doubt it.

Of course, this list is likely to look a bit different in a few years. Several of these coaches are getting closer to retirement. When you look at these lists as a whole you begin to get a picture of who's respected and who's not.

Plust there is the up-and-comer lists, which might be more helpful and likely:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2667494-up-and-coming-college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2016-17

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576411-up-and-coming-college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2015-16

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richcampbell/2016/04/05/10-best-ncaa-basketball-coaches-for-the-next-10-years/#1e3e9a321607

I think give Mike three more years if he don't get together in that amount time then he needs to be on the first thing smoking

biglewhog77

Quote from: JayBell on February 13, 2017, 08:59:34 am
This is the point.  Arkansas already has top 10-ish facilities.  We have this weird concept that just because Dana Altman blew off Arkansas literally almost 10 years ago that the program is in some kind of disgrace and can't lure anybody in.

Say what you want about Bielema, Anderson and Dykes' actual job performance, they were all seen as really good hires.  They all had great reputations.  Jeff Long is really respected by his peers and we tend to denigrate his hires with hindsight and forget how well received all of the hires were when they were announced.

With the facilities and history Arkansas has, Long can lure in another really good coach.  One NCAA Tournament in six years isn't acceptable for this program.  You don't need a top 10 coach to do better than that.

Everybody forgetting that Mike left a good job in Missouri to come Arkansas so I think Jeff Long will give him time to turn it around......

biglewhog77

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2017, 09:06:31 am
I think we could realistically get a top-5 available coach.

I don't know what you been drinking, but I want some of it :) :) :) :) :) :)

JayBell

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 13, 2017, 11:44:57 pmEverybody forgetting that Mike left a good job in Missouri to come Arkansas so I think Jeff Long will give him time to turn it around......

Yeah, that Missouri job is soooo good....

OperationRestoreHawgBall

I think to be fair, we need to give him 5 more years to get his system fully installed and his own players in here.

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 13, 2017, 11:41:58 pm
I think give Mike three more years if he don't get together in that amount time then he needs to be on the first thing smoking

biglewhog77

Quote from: JayBell on February 14, 2017, 12:05:51 am
Yeah, that Missouri job is soooo good....

He beating us every year and beat us out on some guys we wanting in recruiting too........

biglewhog77

Quote from: OperationRestoreHawgBall on February 14, 2017, 12:09:00 am
I think to be fair, we need to give him 5 more years to get his system fully installed and his own players in here.

AMEN!!!!!!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

1highhog

Not a top ten, but a top one hundred Coach would be a huge improvement.

JayBell

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 14, 2017, 12:10:08 amHe beating us every year and beat us out on some guys we wanting in recruiting too........

I cannot decipher what this means.  Are you saying Missouri is a good job because Anderson keeps losing games and players to them?  And that's bolstering the defense of Anderson, how?  Or are you saying it was a good job when Anderson was there and they beat Arkansas even though the two teams like never played each other and weren't in the same conference?

lefty08

You forgot the "LOL" option......
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Youngsta71701

Not nawl, but hell nawl! We would be lucky to get a top 20 coach to come here. The only reason Mike came was because of his history with Arkansas and the state.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Who ever the people are that voted yes. I would love to have some of what they're drinking or smoking... ;D

Sivad

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 09:05:50 am
The only reason Mike came was because of his history with Arkansas and the state.
BS. He came only after his agent Jimmy Sexton extorted much more money than Anderson was ever worth in the market out of the only school in the country that just HAD to hire him. What a waste. What a mess.

nwahogfan1

I voted yes because what I thought the poll was asking was if Mike was fired could we go out and hire a much better coach and my answer is yes. 

A coach who teaches toughness, correct way of playing defense and how to attack opposing teams weaknesses.

Look at UALR last year and TT this year plus Okie State and Ms St then ask if hiring the  right coach  matters.   We can do better.

We are a very bad defensive team.  Mike teaches his defense to be aggressive and to attack.  He tries to speeds other teams up but it takes the right players to play those defenses.  For some reason he has not recruited very many of those kids.  It also takes guys who love to play defense who are very aggressive, long and athletic.  But even if Mike could or would sign those guys the good teams would just throw it over the top of our double teams to wide open shooters.  those gambling and slapping defensive teams usually do not get far in the NCAAT.  Just too many well coached and talented teams out there who know how to attack those defenses.

We often forget Nolan's best years were not those gambling, reaching, slapping, grab ass teams.  They were the bigger more physical inside teams with some good shooters.  Mike needs to remember the glory teams and not the ugly teams Nolan had.

bvillepig

Mr. Porkleone

The OTR

Mike's not going anywhere anytime soon. If I had to guess he will retire here.

lutherheggs

But that does not matter. Anderson is not a top 10 coach. So the proper question is, is it likely to replace him with a coach who is better than Anderson? The answer is yes.

Pork Twain

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 13, 2017, 11:46:32 pm
I don't know what you been drinking, but I want some of it :) :) :) :) :) :)
I am sad for you that you think the last three crappy coaches that Arkansas has had, has clouded your mind.  I still remember Arkansas being one of the most dominant teams in the country for over a decade and the facilities were built to support that.  With the right hire, we could get back there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 13, 2017, 02:22:12 am
Candidate for the dumbest post ever! Not just of the year...

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:12:57 am
Candidate for the dumbest post ever! Not just of the year...
You think Anderson is a top 50 coach?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sivad on February 14, 2017, 09:11:43 am
BS. He came only after his agent Jimmy Sexton extorted much more money than Anderson was ever worth in the market out of the only school in the country that just HAD to hire him. What a waste. What a mess.
Are you seriously gonna try to argue this? Sources please...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 14, 2017, 10:14:10 am
You think Anderson is a top 50 coach?
No doubt. What he did at UAB and Missouri of all places. Not to mention what he is currently doing here and he hasn't done too bad since year 3 since he's been here.  Still one of only a few coaches in college basketball that have never had a losing season. We are currently in 4th place in a big time conference. Not to shabby if you ask me.

BTW it looks like I'm not the only one.

Dropkick

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:21:30 am
No doubt. What he did at UAB and Missouri of all places. Not to mention what he is currently doing here and he hasn't done too bad since year 3 since he's been here.  Still one of only a few coaches in college basketball that have never had a losing season. We are currently in 4th place in a big time conference. Not to shabby if you ask me.

I'm sorry but your definition of a big time conference must include all sports. The SEC is not a big time men's BB conference.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dropkick on February 14, 2017, 10:28:55 am
I'm sorry but your definition of a big time conference must include all sports. The SEC is not a big time men's BB conference.
Your opinion my friend. Everyone has one. The SEC is a big time conference in everything.

Hawg Red

#49 out of 50. This list was also put out prior to the 2015-2016 where we won just 16 games.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 10:31:25 am
#49 out of 50. This list was also put out prior to the 2015-2016 where we won just 16 games.
Read the reasoning. Oh, you failed to mention that didn't you?

Why he's ranked here: Arkansas steadily improved in each of Anderson's four seasons before the Razorbacks lost to North Carolina in the round of 32 in the 2015 NCAA Tournament. He's more or less starting from scratch this season.

16-16, 9-9 was a hell of a coaching job with that roster.

cardsNhogs

There are 10 or more mid major coaches I would take over Anderson. No way he would be in my top 50 right now yet he makes big time money.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 14, 2017, 10:33:09 am
There are 10 or more mid major coaches I would take over Anderson. No way he would be in my top 50 right now yet he makes big time money.
Once again, your opinion. Can't knock a man for their opinion.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:33:56 am
Once again, your opinion. Can't knock a man for their opinion.
yes we all put our opinions on here.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:32:43 am
Read the reasoning. Oh, you failed to mention that didn't you?

Why he's ranked here: Arkansas steadily improved in each of Anderson's four seasons before the Razorbacks lost to North Carolina in the round of 32 in the 2015 NCAA Tournament. He's more or less starting from scratch this season.

16-16, 9-9 was a hell of a coaching job with that roster.
Yes 16 wins catapulted him way up the list I am sure

It was HIS roster
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Youngsta71701

February 14, 2017, 10:46:29 am #46 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:59:04 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 14, 2017, 10:40:38 am
Yes 16 wins catapulted him way up the list I am sure

It was HIS roster
Nope, this came out before that 16 win season. He might be higher up on the list now considering what he did with that depleted roster... ;). His best COACHING job to date.

rljjr

Quote from: biglewhog77 on February 13, 2017, 11:44:57 pm
Everybody forgetting that Mike left a good job in Missouri to come Arkansas so I think Jeff Long will give him time to turn it around......

You're right on. Six years is 4 years too short. Sarcasm off.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 10:46:29 am
Nope, this came out before that 16 win season. He might be higher up on the list now considering what he did that depleted roster... ;). His best COACHING job to date.
I'm sure that 16 win season with a roster that he built really impressed the national media

THE depleted roster is no ones responsibility but the head Coach. Why are you giving him a pass on that ?
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

realistichog