Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A win over South Carolina could save MA

Started by checkraiser88, February 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

This is it. We need another road win and this is it. We have 2 in a row at home after this one. This moment is critical and every player needs to go out there and play to save their coaches job! We can do this! Go hogs baby!!!

King Kong

They are good and SC is one of the harder places to play in the SEC this year. Their fans are bringing it

grayhawg

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm
This is it. We need another road win and this is it. We have 2 in a row at home after this one. This moment is critical and every player needs to go out there and play to save their coaches job! We can do this! Go hogs baby!!!
Hate to say it but Anderson could lose out and probably not be fired.

The_Iceman

Thornwell will put up 45 pts and 20 rebs against us.

PonderinHog

No pressure though!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hoglady

I don't think Anderson has to have this win to keep his job.
We can make the NCAA tourney without it.
I figure making the tourney is the watershed for him to keep his job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Letsroll1200

If Moses and a dusty show up Arkansas will beat South Carolina. We have to get off to a better start.

I don't think Mike will be let go if we lose at SC and don't make the tourney.  Too much trouble to replace him.  Besides Mike has those saviors on the way over the next 2 recruiting years.  Remember when Pel had that great recruiting class coming in.  Didn't save his job as it shouldn't have but of the 4 incoming, only one made it through the system and he didn't set the world on fire. 

We need a HC who can recruit men and teach them in a scheme that is compatible in today's game.  I haven't seen a Mike team yet that is willing to bear down and put a body between the basket and the player and refuse to be denied.  We prefer to stand aside, reach, slap and foul on D and attempt haphazard O.

realistichog

Too much trouble to replace him? Really! There will be plenty to line up to get paid 2.5 million and not even have to win and get to ncaat.

hogwood

It is not the player's responsibility to save their coach's job.

Atlhogfan1

It doesn't need saving.  Had the second half vs LSU gone like the first, perhaps.  He is going to get to stay for however long it takes to achieve something.

Would be so Anderson to go win at SC.  Then lose at home again once or twice.  That last regular season game has not been good. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

After he loses to uSc and Florida, I expect the end to be near.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JayBell

A win over South Carolina or Florida is almost needed at this point.  If Arkansas finishes 22-9 with no signature wins and no less than three terrible losses, they will be on the outside of the bubble.

We (myself included) keep making up these scenarios and ignoring that this is probably Arkansas' toughest stretch of the season at a time in the year when Anderson's teams have usually tanked.  The upcoming teams are 1st, 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th and 12th in the SEC.  Meanwhile, Arkansas has already lost to the 9th, 10th and 13th place teams.  Also:
Quote from: JayBell on January 30, 2017, 09:57:31 am
Anderson's teams have been notoriously poor in crucial games down the stretch.

They absolutely could have played their way into the NCAAT in Portis' freshman season.  Beat Alabama and South Carolina and they could have been, at worst, 23-10 (11-7) with two extra wins on the road and on a neutral court.  Instead, they collapsed.

The season before that, they actually got to 17-9 (8-5).  That's a team with a chance to make it.  Then they lose 4 of their last 6, lose in the first round of the SECT as per usual and don't even make the NIT.

And then.....holy $**t, I actually forgot about Anderson's first season when they also started out 17-8 (5-5).  THEY LOST 6 OF THEIR LAST 7 GAMES, INCLUDING FOUR HOME GAMES.

JayBell

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is how finishing in fourth place will actually be detrimental to Arkansas' chances.  Let's say they just do as they are supposed to, go 4-2 with losses to Florida and South Carolina.  Unless Alabama goes 5-1 or Ole Miss/Tennessee goes 6-0, Arkansas will finish in fourth place.

That takes away a potential neutral court win.  But finish worse than fourth by going 3-3 or worse down the stretch obviously hurts their chances even more.  Arkansas finds themselves in a weird dynamic because they couldn't take care of business against teams they should have beaten.

We've also seen how vulnerable higher seeds are in the SEC Tournament because of the byes.  If Arkansas finishes in fourth, their first game will be against a team with momentum from the earlier round(s).  Anderson is also 0-4 in the SEC Tournament outside of the season with the NCAA Tournament appearance...

Sivad

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 08:57:43 am
He is going to get to stay for however long it takes to achieve something.
Or more likely...to achieve nothing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Sivad on February 13, 2017, 09:16:45 am
Or more likely...to achieve nothing.

The ones for keeping him will find something. 

It is still going to take a tremendous amount of failure to miss the NCAAT this season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

February 13, 2017, 09:41:01 am #16 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:54:29 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: JayBell on February 13, 2017, 09:08:13 am
A win over South Carolina or Florida is almost needed at this point.  If Arkansas finishes 22-9 with no signature wins and no less than three terrible losses, they will be on the outside of the bubble.

We (myself included) keep making up these scenarios and ignoring that this is probably Arkansas' toughest stretch of the season at a time in the year when Anderson's teams have usually tanked.  The upcoming teams are 1st, 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th and 12th in the SEC.  Meanwhile, Arkansas has already lost to the 9th, 10th and 13th place teams.  Also:
Here is some more info as far as RPI goes.  Unfortunately big losses will stick in the minds of the selection committee more than narrow victories.

Key Wins:
#43 UTA - Home (4 points)
#58 Houston - Home (12 points)
#47 Tennessee - Away (4 points)

Key Losses:
#24 Minnesota - Away (14 Points)
#10 Florida - Home (9 points)
#9 Kentucky - Away (26 points)
#29 Ok St - Away (28 points)

Painful Losses:
#122 Miss St - Home (6 points)
#243 Missouri - Away (5 points)
#65 Vandy - Home (13 points)

Left to Play:
#21 South Carolina - Away
#59 Ole Miss - Home
#92 aTm - Home
#66 Auburn - Away
#10 Florida - Away
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

AugustaHog

I think you have to have a quality win somewhere in this mix.  Other than UF and USCe, our remaining opponents are not deemed that good.  TAMU, OM, AU, and UGA are solid teams, but they won't gain us much with the committee.  If we can beat the Gators or Gamecocks, we have a chance.  I don't feel too warm and fuzzy about our chances with the way we have played of late.  If we can put together an entire game of our best offense, we have a shot.  We can't afford to get down 12-15 pts. to a really good team.  They won't allow us to go on that 20-4 run.  As far as saving MA's job, I'm not even sure what that entails.  Jeff Long is all about the money and how we are viewed from the outside.  If we are making money and look to be doing things the right way, he seems happy.  I'm not sure how the poor attendance has affected the bottom line, so that may have an impact.  He has allowed our football program to get away with mediocre results and doesn't seem too concerned about that.  I'm not sure how this is much different.  Going to a crappy bowl game is about the equivalent of an NIT/barely getting into the tourney.  MA hasn't done much to warrant future faith.  I'm just not sure Jeff Long really cares.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: JayBell on February 13, 2017, 09:16:21 am
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is how finishing in fourth place will actually be detrimental to Arkansas' chances.  Let's say they just do as they are supposed to, go 4-2 with losses to Florida and South Carolina.  Unless Alabama goes 5-1 or Ole Miss/Tennessee goes 6-0, Arkansas will finish in fourth place.

That takes away a potential neutral court win.  But finish worse than fourth by going 3-3 or worse down the stretch obviously hurts their chances even more.  Arkansas finds themselves in a weird dynamic because they couldn't take care of business against teams they should have beaten.

We've also seen how vulnerable higher seeds are in the SEC Tournament because of the byes.  If Arkansas finishes in fourth, their first game will be against a team with momentum from the earlier round(s).  Anderson is also 0-4 in the SEC Tournament outside of the season with the NCAA Tournament appearance...

Arkansas finishes 4th in the SEC they will be playing Alabama, LSU or Missouri. I will take the hogs on a neutral court against those three.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 13, 2017, 09:55:37 am
I think you have to have a quality win somewhere in this mix.  Other than UF and USCe, our remaining opponents are not deemed that good.  TAMU, OM, AU, and UGA are solid teams, but they won't gain us much with the committee.  If we can beat the Gators or Gamecocks, we have a chance.  I don't feel too warm and fuzzy about our chances with the way we have played of late.  If we can put together an entire game of our best offense, we have a shot.  We can't afford to get down 12-15 pts. to a really good team.  They won't allow us to go on that 20-4 run.  As far as saving MA's job, I'm not even sure what that entails.  Jeff Long is all about the money and how we are viewed from the outside.  If we are making money and look to be doing things the right way, he seems happy.  I'm not sure how the poor attendance has affected the bottom line, so that may have an impact.  He has allowed our football program to get away with mediocre results and doesn't seem too concerned about that.  I'm not sure how this is much different.  Going to a crappy bowl game is about the equivalent of an NIT/barely getting into the tourney.  MA hasn't done much to warrant future faith.  I'm just not sure Jeff Long really cares.

We won't have to have a quality win. Qty will be enough if we win 4 more. 

What should he have done with the football program?  Fire Bielema after 4 seasons?  Where this past season was unacceptable, it wasn't going to get him fired at this point.  No AD would have fired him from Arkansas.  He didn't need to do anything as Bielema did it.  The coach who was hired to do a job did his job by attempting to fix part of what is wrong. 

"Long doesn't care.  Long is all about money.  Long only cares about academics.  Long accepts mediocre results.  Long Long Long Long,..."  Damn I'll be happy when Long leaves. 

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2017, 10:04:22 am
Arkansas finishes 4th in the SEC they will be playing Alabama, LSU or Missouri. I will take the hogs on a neutral court against those three.
I wouldn't

1highhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2017, 09:03:10 am
After he loses to uSc and Florida, I expect the end to be near.

MA could lose every game left on the schedule and not get fired.  He is the Hootie of Basketball to us.  We'll never be rid of his poor Coaching.  I want the team to succeed, because they're my team, but Mike is not the Coach that's going to get us where we need to be and he wasn't the Coach to hire in the first place to all the idiots who clamored to want him so desperately hired in the first place.

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 10:08:18 am

What should he have done with the football program?  Fire Bielema after 4 seasons?  Where this past season was unacceptable, it wasn't going to get him fired at this point.  No AD would have fired him from Arkansas.  He didn't need to do anything as Bielema did it.  The coach who was hired to do a job did his job by attempting to fix part of what is wrong. 

"Long doesn't care.  Long is all about money.  Long only cares about academics.  Long accepts mediocre results.  Long Long Long Long,..."  Damn I'll be happy when Long leaves. 

totally agree
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JayBell

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2017, 10:04:22 amArkansas finishes 4th in the SEC they will be playing Alabama, LSU or Missouri. I will take the hogs on a neutral court against those three.

I think all of us would have taken Michael Qualls and Bobby Portis on a neutral court against South Carolina too.

Arkansas has home losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.  Nothing on a neutral court will be a given, especially under Anderson.

ballhogger

Quote from: hogwood on February 12, 2017, 11:08:10 pm
It is not the player's responsibility to save their coach's job.
Actually about half of it is considering they are the ones playing.  You could have Coach K coaching them and if they don't play well it won't matter.  Not to say that it is not on Anderson.  Let's not act like the players never have any responsibility here.

GoPigs69

Quote from: 12247 on February 12, 2017, 09:33:17 pm
I don't think Mike will be let go if we lose at SC and don't make the tourney.  Too much trouble to replace him.  Besides Mike has those saviors on the way over the next 2 recruiting years.  Remember when Pel had that great recruiting class coming in.  Didn't save his job as it shouldn't have but of the 4 incoming, only one made it through the system and he didn't set the world on fire. 

We need a HC who can recruit men and teach them in a scheme that is compatible in today's game.  I haven't seen a Mike team yet that is willing to bear down and put a body between the basket and the player and refuse to be denied.  We prefer to stand aside, reach, slap and foul on D and attempt haphazard O.
Literally one of the best posts I have read here in a long time...this absolutely sums up where I am at with this team/staff.

EastexHawg

That makes two of us.

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2017, 10:04:22 am

Only 12 of the 14 teams will make the SEC Tournament. Most likely LSU and Missouri will be staying home.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 09:01:50 pm

He lost the last time he did that. Just sayin'.

riccoar

If we lose to SC and Florida those other four are must wins to make NCAAT

Sapperhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 12, 2017, 09:21:41 pm
If Moses and a dusty show up Arkansas will beat South Carolina. We have to get off to a better start.

Kingsley show up? That's a huge "if".

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 09:01:50 pm
This is why I don't feel good about our chances, just not sure we can defend him and Dozier.

HF#1

Winning this game on the road would likely remove us from the bubble or at least give us some relief.  The margin for error is still razor thin.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

swinesation

I'm sorry, but I think people talking about what it will take to get into the tournament are in denial. I'm not a "fire Mike" guy - I'm excited about the upward trajectory of recruiting. But I've never thought this team is very talented. Yes, we've got a lot of "good" guards, role players, and a big man who should have been more dominating than he has been this year, but we don't have any elite talent that level of Portis and Qualls on this team.

If such a bet was possible, I'd bet my house that we will go no better than 3-3 these last six games. It's more likely to be 2-4 or 1-5. That means no tournament. The trajectory of this team is downward. At least part of it, I believe, is that the younger, less-experienced SEC teams have now caught up with us.

rljjr

Quote from: swinesation on February 13, 2017, 12:57:33 pm
I'm sorry, but I think people talking about what it will take to get into the tournament are in denial. I'm not a "fire Mike" guy - I'm excited about the upward trajectory of recruiting. But I've never thought this team is very talented. Yes, we've got a lot of "good" guards, role players, and a big man who should have been more dominating than he has been this year, but we don't have any elite talent that level of Portis and Qualls on this team.

If such a bet was possible, I'd bet my house that we will go no better than 3-3 these last six games. It's more likely to be 2-4 or 1-5. That means no tournament. The trajectory of this team is downward. At least part of it, I believe, is that the younger, less-experienced SEC teams have now caught up with us.

The only thing this team lacks are the players MA wasn't able to recruit.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm
First off, MA's job is safe anyways unless we have an avalanche type finish to the season. Secondly, this win will do nothing more than silence SOME of the haters until the next loss and increase our chances of getting into the NCAA tournament
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

swinesation

Quote from: rljjr on February 13, 2017, 01:02:22 pm
The only thing this team lacks are the players MA wasn't able to recruit.

I agree. So if he's turned recruiting around after a couple of years of abysmal recruiting, is that a reason to be optimistic about the future?

swinesation

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:06:52 pm
First off, MA's job is safe anyways unless we have an avalanche type finish to the season. Secondly, this win will do nothing more than silence SOME of the haters until the next loss and increase our chances of getting into the NCAA tournament

Like I said, I'm not a "fire Mike" guy. But I'm wondering what you consider an avalanche type finish? 2-4? 1-5?

hobhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:06:52 pm

1. Avalanche is in process. A bad effort Wednesday gives it momentum, a win slows it.
2. Correct. There are many who cannot be won back. This is our future with MA unless he goes on an epic win streak.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on February 13, 2017, 01:12:31 pm
1. Avalanche is in process. A bad effort Wednesday gives it momentum, a win slows it.
2. Correct. There are many who cannot be won back. This is our future with MA unless he goes on an epic win streak.
Get back with after the regular season about your number 1 comment. And please don't be shy.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog

Quote from: 12247 on February 12, 2017, 09:33:17 pm

Too much trouble to replace him? What does that mean?

I guarantee you Long has a list going. No idea if he acts, but if he is not at least making a few calls behind the scenes he should just resign and quit stealing UA money. He has to know if he keeps MA after no tourney he is putting himself in the same hot water.

All ADs have a short list.

hobhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:14:37 pm
Get back with after the regular season about your number 1 comment. And please don't be shy.

Sivad

Quote from: 1highhog on February 13, 2017, 10:16:12 am
MA could lose every game left on the schedule and not get fired.  He is the Hootie of Basketball to us.  We'll never be rid of his poor Coaching.  I want the team to succeed, because they're my team, but Mike is not the Coach that's going to get us where we need to be and he wasn't the Coach to hire in the first place to all the idiots who clamored to want him so desperately hired in the first place.
Anderson = "Basketball Hootie".
There is a certain symmetry there.

Razorback de Nosferatu

A win against South Carolina would effectively cancel out that embarrassing debacle at Mizzou.  Arkansas would finally have a great win to neutralize their worst loss. 

The sad thing is, had this team not randomly driven the car off the rails against one of the worst teams in the league, we'd probably be looking at this game as a chance to lock up a tournament spot and move forward playing for a decent seed.

Alas, instead, they're simply trying to bandage up an inexcusable self-inflicted wound.

swinesation

Quote from: swinesation on February 13, 2017, 01:12:09 pm
Like I said, I'm not a "fire Mike" guy. But I'm wondering what you consider an avalanche type finish? 2-4? 1-5?

Mr. Porkleone

NCAA be awesome. Regardless, it's time for a change. Too many issues with coaching ability, homer staff, attendance.

I watch VT last and Buzz Williams flat out coaches.  Our head coach could learn a lot from him

phadedhawg

I would love to see us beat SC.  However, I've got a sinking feeling that this team would drop the next game if they got a huge emotional win.  We are too erratic to capitalize on a signature win.   

mbgrulz

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 13, 2017, 01:47:20 pm
NCAA be awesome. Regardless, it's time for a change. Too many issues with coaching ability, homer staff, attendance.

I watch VT last and Buzz Williams flat out coaches.  Our head coach could learn a lot from him
Mike has been better at Arkansas than Buzz has at VT. No doubt Buzz can coach, but not sure we'd be gaining enough to make a change...I like Buzz fine tho. He is more animated than CMA, which to a lot people animation level = coaching ability. Best coach I even played for was not very animated at all on the sideline. If you messed up, he'd just stare you down, but when you got to the huddle or locker room it was on! haha.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 13, 2017, 02:03:22 pm
Mike has been better at Arkansas than Buzz has at VT. No doubt Buzz can coach, but not sure we'd be gaining enough to make a change...I like Buzz fine tho. He is more animated than CMA, which to a lot people animation level = coaching ability. Best coach I even played for was not very animated at all on the sideline. If you messed up, he'd just stare you down, but when you got to the huddle or locker room it was on! haha.

???
He coaches at VT.  In the ACC.  He is in season 3.

The 3 seasons before Buzz got to VT:

2011–12   Seth Greenberg   16–17   4–12      
2012–13   James Johnson   13–19   4–14      
2013–14   James Johnson   9–22           2–16   

Could you imagine Anderson and his staff in season 3 in the ACC?  He had to take a break and let up to go play a  Saturday game in Stillwater. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:14:37 pm

Are you going to answer with what you consider an "avalanche type" finish?