Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watch...

Started by Nosboar Accubond, February 12, 2017, 04:35:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosboar Accubond

Coming off last nights matchup I thought this would be a good reminder. Good basketball vs whatever that was last night (from both teams).

The ball movement. The speed. The defensive rotation. The reaction times on offense. The spacing and movement of bodies. This is what makes fun, winning basketball.

https://youtu.be/IAaZTtd2ugM

Nosboar Accubond

Now for comparison... Basically run around and hope the 3 falls...

https://youtu.be/NZnyh8UM8eY

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on February 12, 2017, 04:35:24 am
Coming off last nights matchup I thought this would be a good reminder. Good basketball vs whatever that was last night (from both teams).

The ball movement. The speed. The defensive rotation. The reaction times on offense. The spacing and movement of bodies. This is what makes fun, winning basketball.

The thing I noticed was the conference record................We haven't seen that in a long time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Also more proof that both recruiting and coaching matters.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LRHawg

I see we were still giving up easy buckets on the press back then, too. Obviously, we made up for that by generating more turnovers.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: LRHawg on February 12, 2017, 06:06:56 am
I see we were still giving up easy buckets on the press back then, too. Obviously, we made up for that by generating more turnovers.
That stood out to me too. You're right, the difference was we created more disruption and turnovers. Our offense was also more efficient.

It was also fun.

rzrbk4life

That team would run our current one out of the gym. Also bring back slobbering hog
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Dirty

Everyone here wants a trophy 🏆

King Kong

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 12, 2017, 05:52:26 am
Also more proof that both recruiting and coaching matters.......................

Yeah, the shots and passes look better when better shooters and better finishers take them

WilsonHog

Quote from: Dirty on February 12, 2017, 08:02:41 am
Everyone here wants a trophy 🏆

No, we want a consistent NCAA Tournament team.

(P.S. You might want to read the stickied note at the top, if you want to stay around here longer than it takes me to make my next cup of coffee.)

hoghiker

Mmmmh. Perimeter D look like what we're doing now. Mayberry, Day, Miller and a great supporting cast. We had those three now; we be good. We don't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: King Kong on February 12, 2017, 08:05:43 am
Yeah, the shots and passes look better when better shooters and better finishers take them

I actually was going to type something similar but didn't want to be misconstrued as bashing the current players. That being said my saying "recruiting and coaching" is the same thing as you but worded differently but take into effect the lack of fundamentals not being coached now. IF one doesn't have as much talent (which they are also responsible for not getting) then they better be fundamentally sound and know how to use their lack of talent strategically with the old X's and O's.

Dirty

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 12, 2017, 08:07:25 am
No, we want a consistent NCAA Tournament team.

(P.S. You might want to read the stickied note at the top, if you want to stay around here longer than it takes me to make my next cup of coffee.)

I am 46 years old and I have seen the ups and downs of hog sports for the the last 36 years when I cared to start watching.  Hogs lose and people so called "Troll" around here all the time.  Hogs win and come back from being down by nine in the first half and fans are still bitching. 

What people don't understand is that the rules have changed in those two videos.  NCAA changed the rules to hurt the why this style is played!  So if you don't like what I said, get over it or do what you think you must do.

I support MA and no matter what happens I believe he is not going anywhere.

TheEnemy

Quote from: Dirty on February 12, 2017, 08:36:42 am

What people don't understand is that the rules have changed in those two videos.  NCAA changed the rules to hurt the why this style is played!  So if you don't like what I said, get over it or do what you think you must do.

So the rules changed to hurt this style....yet you fully support keeping a coach that only knows this style---that doesn't work anymore?

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this site.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: TheEnemy on February 12, 2017, 10:19:06 am
So the rules changed to hurt this style....yet you fully support keeping a coach that only knows this style---that doesn't work anymore?

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this site.

You are now an official member. Welcome! Pills are on the left.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dirty on February 12, 2017, 08:36:42 am
I am 46 years old and I have seen the ups and downs of hog sports for the the last 36 years when I cared to start watching.  Hogs lose and people so called "Troll" around here all the time.  Hogs win and come back from being down by nine in the first half and fans are still bitching. 

Yet we insisted on bringing it back.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Mo_Better_Hogs

Great video. And both teams so solid. I like the young fit Shaq.

Mayberry, Day and Big O...such skills. Mayberry—with his insane assist-to-turnover career numbers—was just on fire with his 30+. And let me tell you, Darrell Hawkins off the bench was a powerhouse.

hogsmash12

Quote from: rzrbk4life on February 12, 2017, 07:56:32 am
That team would run our current one out of the gym. Also bring back slobbering hog

+1000 Yes!!! That team would embarrass this team and many others over the past 15 years.

Etowah

The difference was the talent.

Mike gets that kind of talent he will win with his style.

He has got the talent coming.

Hope we are not so stupid to run him off before he has a chance to coach his talent playing his style.

daprospecta

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on February 12, 2017, 04:35:24 am

But no one wants to mention the wide open 3's we gave up and easy layups when the pressure was beat.  It happens. Maybe too much in our rendition but it happens.

SPAL

Very similar aren't they? Thanks for posting . I guess I had gotten caught up in the nostalgia of yesteryear, but I had forgotten how even then teams tended to shoot the lights out, wide open 3s, easy layups when beating the press. And on offense, we just moved it around until we found a 3 shooter.

Those teams forced more turnovers because you could play more aggressively on defense. On  offense, we had much better players on offense.

But thanks for pointing out the eerily similar comparisons. You can tell Mike is a Nolan guy.

PORKULATOR

I watched em both. Very similar looking games.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ChicoHog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 12, 2017, 07:51:00 pm
But no one wants to mention the wide open 3's we gave up and easy layups when the pressure was beat.  It happens. Maybe too much in our rendition but it happens.
I never liked it then and still don't like it now.  Difference back then was the players were so much better we could get away with it.  I remember so many games we would be up by 10 or 12 and blow the lead because we would give up so many easy baskets.  And then we usually came back and won anyway.  Except in the 95 championship game vs the Bruins and we gave that game away after having a big lead. 

hoglady

Look at the energy and confidence that played with.
Nolan's teams always played hard and passed the ball.
This team now is a pretty low key team, has long spurts without 100% effort and they don't share the ball near as well.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Nolan's teams came at you in waves, 10 to 12 deep and always all over you even when you won and broke us down and got the easy bucket.  By the 4th quarter, your legs were gone, you reaction time had faded and you had grave doubts and we still looked fresh and just kept coming in waves. 

Rarely did a team take the fight out of a Nolan team.  His players were not necessarily better, they were fighters.  We often looked good late because we had beat down the other team, allowing our average and just above to appear excellent and great.  Dead tired can take the great out of just about anyone.  Mike's teams never gets the competition to that point.

realistichog

Apples and oranges, Nolan could recruit and coach Mike can't.

LRHawg

Quote from: 12247 link=topic=627326.msg10716352#msg10716352

Rarely did a team take the fight out of a Nolan team.  His players were not necessarily better, they were fighters.  We often looked good late because we had beat down the other team, allowing our average and just above to appear excellent and great.  Dead tired can take the great out of just about anyone.  Mike's teams never gets the competition to that point.

With all the TV timeouts now it's much harder to get into the other teams legs. It's on Mike to adapt and evolve.

hogwood

The only difference I see is in the athletes. That and the crowd enthusiasm,

alohawg

Quote from: rzrbk4life on February 12, 2017, 07:56:32 am

That team would run a lot of teams out of the gym today.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

ChicoHog

Quote from: realistichog on February 12, 2017, 09:59:05 pm
Apples and oranges, Nolan could recruit and coach Mike can't.
He did until his last few years.  It was much tougher then and of course more and more players were leaving college early.  Now you have to reload constantly if you get good players as they leave after one or maybe 2 years. 

Sivad

Quote from: realistichog on February 12, 2017, 09:59:05 pm
Nolan could recruit and coach Mike can't.
Nolan did for a while and then he quit putting in the time and the effort.

jabber71

How many future NBA players were on that team, May-Day, Big O? Your team plays a lot better when you have 3 NBA players...
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

VirginiaHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 12, 2017, 08:10:03 pm
Very similar aren't they? Thanks for posting . I guess I had gotten caught up in the nostalgia of yesteryear, but I had forgotten how even then teams tended to shoot the lights out, wide open 3s, easy layups when beating the press. And on offense, we just moved it around until we found a 3 shooter.

Those teams forced more turnovers because you could play more aggressively on defense. On  offense, we had much better players on offense.

But thanks for pointing out the eerily similar comparisons. You can tell Mike is a Nolan guy.
This. Looked about the same to me, minus the hand checking and higher talent.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22