Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How About We Give Mike A Little Bit Of Credit...

Started by Youngsta71701, February 11, 2017, 09:55:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHawg

Quote from: Breems on February 11, 2017, 10:22:55 pm
We did establish that Johnny Jones is still by far the worst coach in the SEC.

co-signed.

This discussion is worthless. Let's re-hold it after the USCeast game. I'll give Mike much credit if he finds a way to win there.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 06:31:58 am
We beat a one win LSU team, and we are all of a sudden supposed to give Mediocre Mike credit? I guess it's better than losing to a ZERO win Mizzou team and a bad Vandy team at home.

Grand Champion elected for the Fairweather wannabe fan club
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

hobhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 11, 2017, 10:36:31 pm
If Mike is fired at Arkansas after winning 20 + games Mike will be a strong candidate to replace Jones.

Just spit out my milk!

hobhog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 12, 2017, 04:17:16 am
What happened to actually supporting your team no matter what and not being a fair weather wannabe fan.

95% of Hog fans are fair weather now. Mostly rainy days do that...

No one really cares. I was at restaramut during game and they didn't put the game on one of the 4 TVs and no one asked why.

Sad.

Burt B.

This is bigger than one game. It is about a 6 season body of work. If a coach has any pride at all he wins this LSU game after the poor showings of late.  I'm just judging Mike by the standards he set when he got here.

If we are all honest, he has underachieved more than not. Mike's a stand-up guy and has represented the program well. He is just not taking the program to the next step.

You guys can give one game *Pat on the backs*all you want. The reality is that we are just hoping to get into a play in game in the tournament in year six.

razorpimp

I'm just glad there is a worse X's and O's coach in America!!!! That's why we won!

When running away from a bear you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than the other guy....good job CMA!

Razorpigg

You wretched people can't even be happy when the hogs win anymore? I mean good god they won! I'm not happy with the way the last few games have went either but come on. Some of you just want something to whine and moan about. Can we please just do that after they lose? The agendas of some of you are sickening really. Wow....

SPAL

Quote from: hogwood on February 11, 2017, 10:02:37 pm
That was the lineup we started with for most of the non-con it seemed.

And it was a 2-3 zone.

It was a good turn around but what sticks out more to me was the fact that we played so poorly the first half. Why? I mean it was nice to win at the end but we could have won this game way earlier. This team is not living up to it's potential and that is what is so frustrating to watch.

I'm all for criticism of Mike at this point, bit are you really complaining that we didn't win well enough?

Big Boi

Pork Twain

For finishing 1-2 against three bad teams?  Great job Mike!

I am happy they won but I am realistic in that the reaso we are still this bad is the guy leading this team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 12, 2017, 10:22:12 am
For finishing 1-2 against three bad teams?  Great job Mike!

I am happy they won but I am realistic in that the reaso we are still this bad is the guy leading this team.

No PT, if we don't rejoice and go dancing in the streets, apparently we are fairweather fans.

Burt B.

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 12, 2017, 10:12:15 am
You wretched people can't even be happy when the hogs win anymore? I mean good god they won! I'm not happy with the way the last few games have went either but come on. Some of you just want something to whine and moan about. Can we please just do that after they lose? The agendas of some of you are sickening really. Wow....

You continue to look through a game to game lens. I was in the support the coach, "he's going to turn it around" mode all last season.

The okie st. game was the final straw for me. It was just like watching the Iowa State thrashing again. I lost confidence that Mike could get it done. It wouldn't matter to me if we won or lost the LSU game by 30. My opinion wouldn't change.

I'm not angry or wretched. I just see it for what it is.

rickfahr

credit for beating a team that's won one conference game? well, at least we didn't lose, that's about as far as i can go

PonderinHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 11, 2017, 10:14:46 pm
Why does a guy making 2.5 mil need credit?
I guess 2.5 million just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Wild Bill Hog

He just needs 2 more years.

cardsNhogs

Anderson will be worst next year after Jones is fired.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 06:31:58 am
We beat a one win LSU team, and we are all of a sudden supposed to give Mediocre Mike credit? I guess it's better than losing to a ZERO win Mizzou team and a bad Vandy team at home.
Exactly, now your getting it. No win in the SEC is a guarantee no matter how good a team is and no matter how bad the other team is. Every team in the SEC has high D1 scholarship players just like we do.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Burt B. on February 12, 2017, 12:34:44 pm
You continue to look through a game to game lens. I was in the support the coach, "he's going to turn it around" mode all last season.

The okie st. game was the final straw for me. It was just like watching the Iowa State thrashing again. I lost confidence that Mike could get it done. It wouldn't matter to me if we won or lost the LSU game by 30. My opinion wouldn't change.

I'm not angry or wretched. I just see it for what it is.
Yeah, I see it for what it is too. A 18-7 and 7-5 season at this point. I'll take that any year no matter who the wins and losses are against. Go Hogs!! WooPig!! :razorback:

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2017, 01:23:16 pm
I guess 2.5 million just doesn't go as far as it used to.
Nope, it doesn't is any business. It's called inflation.

Youngsta71701

February 12, 2017, 02:56:26 pm #69 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:31:04 pm by Youngsta71701
What I really don't understand is how it's so hard to be happy after a win and put all the negative stuff to the side until at least the next game or the next loss. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. As simple as that. Enjoy every win and bitch about every loss.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 02:56:26 pm
What I really don't understand is now it's so hard to be happy after a loss and put all the negative stuff to the side until at least the next game or the next loss. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. As simple as that. Enjoy every win and bitch about every loss.
The quality of the opponent matters

Big Boi

What I really don't understand is now it's so hard to be happy after a loss and put all the negative stuff to the side until at least the next game or the next loss. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. As simple as that. Enjoy every win and bitch about every loss.
It's not about the Hawgs anymore. It's about getting rid of CMA. A decent % of fans are done with CMA. It will only get worse. No matter what happens, they want change. All the recruits, Zones, and road victories won't matter. I honestly believe CMA will not survive, to see the end of his contract. The wheel are in motion, the ground swell has begun. There will be blood.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Big Boi on February 12, 2017, 03:23:45 pm
It's not about the Hawgs anymore. It's about getting rid of CMA. A decent % of fans are done with CMA. It will only get worse. No matter what happens, they want change. All the recruits, Zones, and road victories won't matter. I honestly believe CMA will not survive, to see the end of his contract. The wheel are in motion, the ground swell has begun. There will be blood.
Good thing Jeff Long is the one that makes that decision and not the hogvillians. The hogvillians will have no influence on Jeff's decision. He will take a look at the overall picture and make a decision based off that. The present and the future. He will not worry about the past.

Burt B.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 02:53:00 pm
Yeah, I see it for what it is too. A 18-7 and 7-5 season at this point. I'll take that any year no matter who the wins and losses are against. Go Hogs!! WooPig!! :razorback:

If you are happy with 18-7 with a schedule front loaded with cupcakes and 7-5 in a weak p5 conference and uncertainty about making the tournament again; our expectations for the program are clearly different. I appreciate your passion though.

hobhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 03:32:23 pm
Good thing Jeff Long is the one that makes that decision and not the hogvillians. The hogvillians will have no influence on Jeff's decision. He will take a look at the overall picture and make a decision based off that. The present and the future. He will not worry about the past.

Won't worry about the past? If you don't heed history you are destined to repeat it. Coaches are judged by wins and losses, period. In basketball that translates into post season dances. You think Long will just ignore our absence?

hobhog

What I really don't understand is how it's so hard to be happy after a win and put all the negative stuff to the side until at least the next game or the next loss. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. As simple as that. Enjoy every win and bitch about every loss.

Obviously it is NOT as simple as that. It's hard to get too excited about last nights win when most likely it means nothing and follows some bad losses. Next game maybe.

realistichog

If Hannas doesn't get flaming hot we lose to the worse team in the sec, the worst conference in the usa. And you want to give Mike credit?

pigheaded

Oh Good Grief

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 11, 2017, 09:55:56 pm
First off, man we needed this win to stop the bleeding. Second off, I think even the biggest Mike critics gotta give him a little bit of credit tonight. Two things changed this game around in the second half. And I don't know about anyone else but to me it was really noticeable.

1. He finally started the second half with the lineup that me and many others have been begging him to start the game with all year.
    G- Barford
    G- Macon
    G- Hannahs
    F- Thomas
    C- Kingsley

2. He finally played that zone that many of us have been begging him to play. I'm not sure if it was a 2-1-2 zone, a 1-3-1 zone, a 2-3 zone or some king of variation of the three but whatever kind of zone it was it worked. It kept Moses in the lane for most of the 2nd half and it took LSU out of their offense for pretty much the whole 2nd half. I think they only got a few open shots when we went to that defense.

Thank you Mike for finally making those changes. Keep that up the next game. If it ain't broke don't fix it. WooPig!! :razorback:
My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

hogsanity

they won a sec road game. I have said before that is a good thing. But, the fact remains they trailed again in the 1st half by at least 14. You cant keep falling behind like that and win many games. If they fall behind to old misses like that they will lose, same for Auburn and Ga.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChicoHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 11, 2017, 10:36:31 pm
If Mike is fired at Arkansas after winning 20 + games Mike will be a strong candidate to replace Jones.
Good for us.  Bad for the Tiggers.

3of5-2

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 02:54:32 pm
The wins this year are inflated with a bunch of cupcakes. Please name the quality wins, and please don't embarrass yourself.

WBOBO

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 12, 2017, 02:54:32 pm
I don't know who you are but one year of that and I'm done salary wise.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

3of5-2

Quote from: WBOBO on February 12, 2017, 08:08:00 pm
I don't know who you are but one year of that and I'm done salary wise.
Roger that

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 10:47:15 am
No PT, if we don't rejoice and go dancing in the streets, apparently we are fairweather fans.
I don't get this mentality.  After losing to two crappy teams we were supposed to beat, I am supposed to give him credit for beating another crappy team we were supposed to beat?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Burt B. on February 12, 2017, 05:33:16 pm
If you are happy with 18-7 with a schedule front loaded with cupcakes and 7-5 in a weak p5 conference and uncertainty about making the tournament again; our expectations for the program are clearly different. I appreciate your passion though.
A win is a win and a loss is a loss not matter the opponent.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on February 12, 2017, 05:39:08 pm
Won't worry about the past? If you don't heed history you are destined to repeat it. Coaches are judged by wins and losses, period. In basketball that translates into post season dances. You think Long will just ignore our absence?
Why do you think he basically gave him a two year pass? He knew Anderson had to come in and get his system and people in place. Doesn't happen overnight. And if you noticed we started seeing big improvements in year 3.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on February 12, 2017, 05:42:36 pm
Obviously it is NOT as simple as that. It's hard to get too excited about last nights win when most likely it means nothing and follows some bad losses. Next game maybe.
I didn't say get excited. I said enjoy. There's a difference. I won't get excited until we beat a team like South Carolina or Florida. And even then I won't get too excited. I would still keep my excitement guarded. We've all seen how inconsistent this team has been throughout the season.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

Quote from: pigheaded on February 12, 2017, 06:27:18 pm
Oh Good Grief
My point has been proven. No matter what he does it still want be enough to shut some of you haters up. He did the main two things that I've been hearing most people complain about and those same people are still complaining.

1. He started Barford, Macon, and Hannahs together in the second half during the comeback.
2. He changed is base defense from a full court man to man to a zone in the second half to start the comeback mixed with some full court zone.

And what do I hear? Those same people that have been saying that is what we needed to do all along are still bitching and complaining. Carry on then if that's what makes you happy. If that's what makes your day. Complaining about Mike no matter what he does. Carry on and have a nice day... ;D

Don't worry be happy... ;D

Youngsta71701

Jim Harris

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 11, 2017, 10:17:28 pm
So when we win it's because of the players but when we lose it's because of the coach? Makes perfect sense to me.

Strangely enough, that was exactly what Nolan said for 17 years. The players win games, he loses games.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 10:23:45 am
My point has been proven. No matter what he does it still want be enough to shut some of you haters up. He did the main two things that I've been hearing most people complain about and those same people are still complaining.

1. He started Barford, Macon, and Hannahs in the second half during the comeback.
2. He changed is base defense from a full court man to man to a zone in the second half to start the comeback mixed with some full court zone.

And what do I hear? Those same people that have been saying that is what we needed to do all along are still bitching and complaining. Carry on then if that's what makes you happy. If that's what makes your day. Complaining about Mike no matter what he does. Carry on and have a nice day... ;D

Don't worry be happy... ;D

You're going to need to see some real sustainability before people change their minds about Anderson. Him making a need line-up change or a defensive adjustment is nothing new. But it's never sustained. And there's never any proactivity. You're not going to see most people give him credit for beating an absolutely terrible team just because we have lost to some terrible teams. That doesn't help any argument for Anderson getting this win because it's a win that should have been expected. You don't tend to see people get a ton of credit for doing things that are expected to do with ease.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 12, 2017, 08:07:49 pm
The wins this year are inflated with a bunch of cupcakes. Please name the quality wins, and please don't embarrass yourself.
Wow, I didn't know we were allowed to play someone else's schedule. That's a new one on me. Well anyways, to respond to your request I'll let some of the college basketball experts answer your request. I'm not one of these experts so I don't know anything about college basketball. Here you go. Enjoy... ;D

Note: The ($)dollar signs mean quality wins.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_353_Men.html

Kevin

is the rpi in basketball weighted like baseball.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

maxhog5

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 13, 2017, 10:27:02 am
Strangely enough, that was exactly what Nolan said for 17 years. The players win games, he loses games.

Also what my high school coach told us 30 years ago, when we asked him why he didn't celebrate with us when we won championships.

maxhog5

You don't get credit for what you are supposed to do easily.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 13, 2017, 11:18:21 am
You don't get credit for what you are supposed to do easily.
We continue to underestimate just how hard it is to win a college basketball game against teams with just as much talent as you or just as many D1 players as you. SMH...I guess if you haven't played you don't know. It's not a walk in the park people. You can't just show up and think your going to win a college basketball game.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 11:45:56 am
We continue to underestimate just how hard it is to win a college basketball game against teams with just as much talent as you or just as many D1 players as you. SMH...I guess if you haven't played you don't know. It's not a walk in the park people. You can't just show up and think your going to win a college basketball game.

It's you that doesn't get it. Everyone knows you have to show up for the game and try to win. But Missouri is terrible, man. Seriously. They are still terrible. Good teams beat terrible teams. When they don't, they are criticized. What do you not understand about that? It's getting a little annoying to hear you constantly trying to prop this win over a terrible LSU team up because we blew two games we should have won as if that makes it any better. I wonder if you realize that all you're doing is downgrading Arkansas by repeatedly saying that they haven't won games they were supposed to against bad teams (Vandy isn't terrible but they beat us by 20 without their leading scorer).

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 10:36:10 am
Wow, I didn't know we were allowed to play someone else's schedule. That's a new one on me. Well anyways, to respond to your request I'll let some of the college basketball experts answer your request. I'm not one of these experts so I don't know anything about college basketball. Here you go. Enjoy... ;D

Note: The ($)dollar signs mean quality wins.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_353_Men.html

That link predicts that the Hogs will finish 3-3 down the stretch, which would make their last 10 games 5-5.

Also would mean 21-10, 10-8 SEC.

In 2014, our regular-season record was 21-10, 10-8 SEC. Then we lost to South Carolina in the first round of the SECT. Missed the Dance, went to the NIT.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 11:59:31 am
It's you that doesn't get it. Everyone knows you have to show up for the game and try to win. But Missouri is terrible, man. Seriously. They are still terrible. Good teams beat terrible teams. When they don't, they are criticized. What do you not understand about that? It's getting a little annoying to hear you constantly trying to prop this win over a terrible LSU team up because we blew two games we should have won as if that makes it any better. I wonder if you realize that all you're doing is downgrading Arkansas by repeatedly saying that they haven't won games they were supposed to against bad teams (Vandy isn't terrible but they beat us by 20 without their leading scorer).

EVERY team loses head scratchers. Every team.

No way Tenn should have beat UK. Same for Vandy at Florida. South Carolina bombed at home against a very AVERAGE to below average Bama team.

So can we quit acting like it is something unique to our team. I agree that we shouldn't be happy about losing to those teams, but fans that can't get happy over any win by their team are questionable to me.