Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else just hear Dan Wolken on Gary Parrish's show?

Started by HawgAdvocate, February 10, 2017, 04:53:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bvillepig

Anyone think Pelphry would be an upgrade to the staff?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Rbill on February 11, 2017, 12:43:59 pm
I'm glad this is getting some discussion. I was asking about this in a thread about assistant coaching. Mike should be required to clean house and hire people he may not even know, but have the best qualifications to coach our guys and recruit. I honestly think this might be the biggest fault with Mike and our program. We need to insist it's run like a business and the best candidates get the jobs.

A big part of the staff's recruiting pitch is the 'family environment' at Arkansas. Clearly we should all agree that Fayetteville isn't a city and won't appeal to every teenage star across the country. An inclusive family environment makes up for that in a lot of ways. Chemistry among co-workers is certainly real, but so is lethargy. Hiring a bunch of mercenaries would have some obvious drawbacks, which is why there needs to be a healthy mix of loyalty and accountability.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

bosshog84

bosshog84

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 06:51:34 pm
As far as Buzz goes, he appears to be doing a good job in a tough job.  Building a program at VT in the ACC bloodbath is an uphill battle.  Maybe he wants to see it through though.  Would seem like he could find a path of less resistance at a program outside of the ACC.  Could you imagine our staff in a conference with UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, ND, FSU, UVa...?

We would be bad... Boston College level bad

seasonhog

Quote from: Tommyet on February 11, 2017, 12:07:49 pm
Darrell Walker would be a great fit as a assistant coach . NBA experience, great recruiter, passionate about the hogs. Also  One of the best   Defensive players  we've ever had on the hill !!

Or head coach!.....

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2017, 09:22:00 am
Every player committed in the next two classes are either in state kids, or have strong in state connections. This staff has failed to recruit quality high school kids from outside the state.
This. MA couldn't get a kid from Branson, Mo even if his has a Razorback tattoo on his arm and his first name is Noland. The kid would end up going to Oklahoma State or something.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Boardon Hamsay

Every player committed in the next two classes are either in state kids, or have strong in state connections. This staff has failed to recruit quality high school kids from outside the state.

Exactly. I'd love to roll the dice on a new coaching staff keeping those next two classes as opposed to those classes earning MA a contract extension. I think the kids want to play at Arkansas more than anything MA did on the recruiting trail. I fear MA will get an extension based on an up cycle in instate talent that otherwise isn't the norm.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

bkjbearcat

Quote from: SONofHAM on February 13, 2017, 07:30:14 pm
http://media.espn929.com/a/118410197/gary-parrish-show-friday-feb-10-2017-hour-1-w-usa-today-s-dan-wolken-in-seg-2-4-stories-at-444-with-more-on-clooney-zombie-story-tiger-woods-and-nkemdiche.htm

34:00 mark

"They should've hired Buzz Williams when they had the chance"

I finally listened, interesting. Wolken questioned MA and his staff want to and their ability to recruit. Said their were out hustled by every coach in the region. He even questioned weather MA and staff did all they could to get Monk at Arkansas.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogman99

hogman99

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 11, 2017, 05:36:20 am
If Mike is retained....

How 'bout we replace Watkins with someone who is a good coach & recruiter? We have enough "nostalgia" in suits on the bench as it is.

Because Mike won't let them coach. Look at the bench during the games, ain't a whole lot of coaching going on over there.  Lots of blanks stares, but not much coaching.

Atlhogfan1

What I got from it was another reminder of how little foresight went into this hire.  If you paid attention at all to what was happening at UAB or Mizzou, you would have known the staff was not good recruiters and how they did it at those places wasn't repeatable at Arkansas.  Nolan's ex-players knew it.  Nolan's fans who pushed for it and are still campaigning for this to last indefinitely knew it.  They knew the staff wasn't strong at recruiting.  Did not matter.  Most important thing was getting the program back in their hands by Mike becoming head coach.  I can't believe the boosters who pushed for the hire were completely ignorant to the recruiting.  Some sure.  Like the fans.  You had the mouthbreathers who wanted their "Hawg Ball" back.  This overlooking one of the main factors to whether or not this would be successful was egregious, negligent, **.  Now here we are in year 6 close to this water treading mediocrity getting extended however many more years Mike wants to coach.  Just reach that minimal goal and get to next season where the next minimal goal awaits. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 08:42:43 pm
What I got from it was another reminder of how little foresight went into this hire.  If you paid attention at all to what was happening at UAB or Mizzou, you would have known the staff was not good recruiters and how they did it at those places wasn't repeatable at Arkansas.  Nolan's ex-players knew it.  Nolan's fans who pushed for it and are still campaigning for this to last indefinitely knew it.  They knew the staff wasn't strong at recruiting.  Did not matter.  Most important thing was getting the program back in their hands by Mike becoming head coach.  I can't believe the boosters who pushed for the hire were completely ignorant to the recruiting.  Some sure.  Like the fans.  You had the mouthbreathers who wanted their "Hawg Ball" back.  This overlooking one of the main factors to whether or not this would be successful was egregious, negligent, **.  Now here we are in year 6 close to this water treading mediocrity getting extended however many more years Mike wants to coach.  Just reach that minimal goal and get to next season where the next minimal goal awaits. 
Well said.  And to me his coaching is even worse than his recruiting.  Basketball is about 80% talent and 20% coaching so the recruiting part is definitely more important for most teams.  But because Anderson's coaching style is so bad it might be more like 70/30 here.  Either way we need him and all his cronies gone.

dsims2k3

What I got from it was another reminder of how little foresight went into this hire.  If you paid attention at all to what was happening at UAB or Mizzou, you would have known the staff was good recruiters and how they did it at those places wasn't repeatable at Arkansas.  Nolan's ex-players knew it.  Nolan's fans who pushed for it and are still campaigning for this to last indefinitely knew it.  They knew the staff wasn't strong at recruiting.  Did not matter.  Most important thing was getting the program back in their hands by Mike becoming head coach.  I can't believe the boosters who pushed for the hire were completely ignorant to the recruiting.  Some sure.  Like the fans.  You had the mouthbreathers who wanted their "Hawg Ball" back.  This overlooking one of the main factors to whether or not this would be successful was egregious, negligent, **.  Now here we are in year 6 close to this water treading mediocrity getting extended however many more years Mike wants to coach.  Just reach that minimal goal and get to next season where the next minimal goal awaits.
That means nothing because when it's  all said and done, most complainers just want "their guy" to be the coach. I just saw where people  are claiming that Buzz Williams  and/or Frank Martin  are superior to CMA yet neither has accomplished at VT or USCE what he's done at Arkansas. CMA has had his bumps but come on.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 13, 2017, 09:07:29 pm
That means nothing because when it's  all said and done, most complainers just want "their guy" to be the coach. I just saw where people  are claiming that Buzz Williams  and/or Frank Martin  are superior to CMA yet neither has accomplished at VT or USCE what he's done at Arkansas. CMA has had his bumps but come on.

Buzz is only in year 3 coaching VT in the ACC and is doing very well considering it is VT in the ACC and from where he started.  Anderson in the ACC with similar academic restrictions as here and much deeper competition?  Never know though how a coach would do at a different program.  Buzz may would not make it here either for whatever reason.  He is doing a really good job though.

Martin has given Mike fits in head to head matchups.  And he is trying to rebuild South Carolina.  Not saying he has done better than Mike has here.  But for it to even be brought up this late in Mike's 6th season illustrates how badly this has failed. 

The 4 seasons before he got to SC:
South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2008–2012)
2008–09   South Carolina   21–10   10–6   T–1st (East)   NIT 1st Round
2009–10   South Carolina   15–16   6–10   5th (East)   
2010–11   South Carolina   14–16   5–11   6th (East)   
2011–12   South Carolina   10–21   2–14   12th (Overall)   

That upward trajectory when just looking at win total doesn't work when we are comparing Martin, right?
South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13   South Carolina   14–18   4–14   T–12th   
2013–14   South Carolina   14–20   5–13   13th   
2014–15   South Carolina   17–16   6–12   T–11th   
2015–16   South Carolina   25–9   11–7   T–3rd   NIT Second Round
2016–17   South Carolina   19–4   9–1   1st[10]   

There shouldn't be a "their guy".  This fan of a coach is dumber than those who support the coach because he is still employed.  Hire a coach to do a job.  If they are doing their job well, then support.  If it isn't going well, question.  When it is going badly, stop supporting.  We decided to take this fan of the coach to another personal level with this hire. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

dsims2k3

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 09:17:43 pm
Buzz is only in year 3 coaching VT in the ACC and is doing very well considering it is VT in the ACC and from where he started.  Anderson in the ACC with similar academic restrictions as here and much deeper competition?  Never know though how a coach would do at a different program.  Buzz may would not make it here either for whatever reason.  He is doing a really good job though.

Martin has given Mike fits in head to head matchups.  And he is trying to rebuild South Carolina.  Not saying he has done better than Mike has here.  But for it to even be brought up this late in Mike's 6th season illustrates how badly this has failed. 

The 4 seasons before he got to SC:
South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2008–2012)
2008–09   South Carolina   21–10   10–6   T–1st (East)   NIT 1st Round
2009–10   South Carolina   15–16   6–10   5th (East)   
2010–11   South Carolina   14–16   5–11   6th (East)   
2011–12   South Carolina   10–21   2–14   12th (Overall)   

That upward trajectory when just looking at win total doesn't work when we are comparing Martin, right?
South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13   South Carolina   14–18   4–14   T–12th   
2013–14   South Carolina   14–20   5–13   13th   
2014–15   South Carolina   17–16   6–12   T–11th   
2015–16   South Carolina   25–9   11–7   T–3rd   NIT Second Round
2016–17   South Carolina   19–4   9–1   1st[10]   

There shouldn't be a "their guy".  This fan of a coach is dumber than those who support the coach because he is still employed.  Hire a coach to do a job.  If they are doing their job well, then support.  If it isn't going well, question.  When it is going badly, stop supporting.  We decided to take this fan of the coach to another personal level with this hire.
The same argument could be made for CMA. It basically is, just  switch  some  names.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Sivad

The gospel truth on all counts.

MemphisBossHog

this is disturbing to hear.  For it to be common knowledge among NCAA reporters that ARK's staff doesn't hit the recruiting trail hard is embarrassing and now we know what was meant when it was said that FLA outworked ARK in recruiting Kevaughn Allen.

This should never happen especially with an Arkansas kid.  If they lost Monk to extracurricular benefits, then so be it, but to lose Allen simply because they didn't work hard enough and Dan Wolken is saying its common knowledge that they don't hit the recruiting trail hard is just embarrassing and some heads must roll.  I get that most likely Mike wont be gone but somebody better put the fear of God in somebody up there that this crapt isn't acceptable.

As far as Buzz Williams goes, he wont come to Arkansas after just 3 years ago moving to VT.  We are not KY or UNC or Dook or somebody like that.  Buzz aint coming here.

Lets get Chris Beard or the next Brad Underwood--man I really like Underwood.  If the laziness factor is true and it certainly does seem that way based on recruiting results, who knows who we have missed out on simply because our staff wouldn't try hard enough. 

HogBreath

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 13, 2017, 09:51:16 pm
this is disturbing to hear.  For it to be common knowledge among NCAA reporters that ARK's staff doesn't hit the recruiting trail hard is embarrassing and now we know what was meant when it was said that FLA outworked ARK in recruiting Kevaughn Allen.

This should never happen especially with an Arkansas kid.  If they lost Monk to extracurricular benefits, then so be it, but to lose Allen simply because they didn't work hard enough and Dan Wolken is saying its common knowledge that they don't hit the recruiting trail hard is just embarrassing and some heads must roll.  I get that most likely Mike wont be gone but somebody better put the fear of God in somebody up there that this crapt isn't acceptable.

As far as Buzz Williams goes, he wont come to Arkansas after just 3 years ago moving to VT.  We are not KY or UNC or Dook or somebody like that.  Buzz aint coming here.

Lets get Chris Beard or the next Brad Underwood--man I really like Underwood.  If the laziness factor is true and it certainly does seem that way based on recruiting results, who knows who we have missed out on simply because our staff wouldn't try hard enough. 
For any one who's been paying just a little bit of attention, that is not all surprising.

In fact, it's been real danged obvious all along.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2017, 09:55:16 pm
For any one who's been paying just a little bit of attention, that is not all surprising.

In fact, it's been real danged obvious all along.

I guess living in MEM and not getting as much inside recruiting info about ARK, I am guilty.  I guess I just assumed that Mike and his staff were working as hard as they could to get recruits.  My first inkling of finding out that isn't true was reading what the AAU guy Ingram said about the Hogs' recruiting of KAllen and then someone posting on this board in a thread a few days ago that it was thought that FLA outworked ARK in recruiting Allen.  I just assumed...... and we all know what we get when we assume. 

But reading what I am reading now is disturbing.  You are right HogBreath.  It should have been obvious to someone like me.  I get losing out to Calipari and his KY schtick.  I get losing out on a lot of these guys, but to lose out on ANYONE because we are lazy as a recruiting staff is pi$$poor and its embarrassing.

And the fact that we are comparing ourselves to South Carolina shows how far we have fallen.  We have a national championship and 6 Final Fours on our resume.  We are the only Power Five school in our state.  We have no professional teams to compete with in our state.  Arkansas should be a giant in basketball.  I remember the looks on Big Blue Nation when the Hogs walked into the arena in the 1992 SEC tournament.  They were stunned.  Nolan had completed what Eddie Sutton had started and we were there.  Nolan and Frank had an ego fight and Nolan left and its been a path to irrelevance ever since. Never should have come to this.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 13, 2017, 10:03:25 pm
I guess living in MEM and not getting as much inside recruiting info about ARK, I am guilty.  I guess I just assumed that Mike and his staff were working as hard as they could to get recruits.  My first inkling of finding out that isn't true was reading what the AAU guy Ingram said about the Hogs' recruiting of KAllen and then someone posting on this board in a thread a few days ago that it was thought that FLA outworked ARK in recruiting Allen.  I just assumed...... and we all know what we get when we assume. 

But reading what I am reading now is disturbing.  You are right HogBreath.  It should have been obvious to someone like me.  I get losing out to Calipari and his KY schtick.  I get losing out on a lot of these guys, but to lose out on ANYONE because we are lazy as a recruiting staff is pi$$poor and its embarrassing.

And the fact that we are comparing ourselves to South Carolina shows how far we have fallen.  We have a national championship and 6 Final Fours on our resume.  We are the only Power Five school in our state.  We have no professional teams to compete with in our state.  Arkansas should be a giant in basketball.  I remember the looks on Big Blue Nation when the Hogs walked into the arena in the 1992 SEC tournament.  They were stunned.  Nolan had completed what Eddie Sutton had started and we were there.  Nolan and Frank had an ego fight and Nolan left and its been a path to irrelevance ever since. Never should have come to this.

MA is at his destination job. This is his pinnacle. This is his ultimate job. He no longer has to fight to get here since he is here. And because of that he and his staff has gotten lazy at least in recruiting.

I guess MA and staff think they don't have to fight for local kids. They all want to go to Arkansas. So when guys like KA, Monk or Goodwin go other places it comes as a shock to them.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 13, 2017, 10:26:25 pm
MA is at his destination job. This is his pinnacle. This is his ultimate job. He no longer has to fight to get here since he is here. And because of that he and his staff has gotten lazy at least in recruiting.

I guess MA and staff think they don't have to fight for local kids. They all want to go to Arkansas. So when guys like KA, Monk or Goodwin go other places it comes as a shock to them.

It didn't happen when he got to Arkansas.  His m.o. was to recruit the JC's, academic risks, players to which he had a connection and low hanging fruit where he was their best offer (Qualls, CJ Jones).  It worked better at UAB (JCs and academic risks) and Mizzou (JCs and connections). 

He has tried the same darn here.  Kapita.  JC players.  If not for some transfers in, this would be worse than it has been. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 10:32:07 pm
He has tried the same darn here.  Kapita.  JC players.  If not for some transfers in, this would be worse than it has been. 

Ted Frankin Kapita. Freshman for N.C. State. I had no idea.

He had 14 & 10 in their win @ Duke. Good for him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4065701/ted-kapita

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 11:27:53 pm
Ted Frankin Kapita. Freshman for N.C. State. I had no idea.

He had 14 & 10 in their win @ Duke. Good for him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4065701/ted-kapita

Yep.  No idea how he made it.  Glendon Alexander aided magical journey?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 11:29:37 pm
Yep.  No idea how he made it.  Glendon Alexander aided magical journey?

I guess that wild & wacky government in the Congo finally agreed to 'release his papers.' :D

They wouldn't send them to Coach A & staff in time for him to be eligible, supposedly, right? :D

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 11:31:31 pm
I guess that wild & wacky government in the Congo finally agreed to 'release his papers.' :D

Too bad for us and SMU it didn't happen earlier.  You know our staff just had no idea there would be any issue.  What a surprise.   ;)

pigsooie1000

isn't Wolken the guy who just despises Mike and rips on Hogs at every possibility? just saying, he might not be truthful here

biglewhog77

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2017, 04:55:20 pm
If Mediocre Mike is retained, why shouldn't he be required to make another staff change? We demand that in football all the time. Why not replace Watkins with Corliss, Todd Day, Penny Hardaway, or maybe some totally outside person.

That sounds like a good idea with that and we could get that Memphis area back like the old days

biglewhog77

What's wrong with this team is that they don't have true leader on team

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Its up - was it hour 1 or 2?

Quote from: SONofHAM on February 10, 2017, 07:05:23 pm
It looks like they upload their podcast the following day. 

http://media.espn929.com/the-gary-parrish-show-with-geoff-calkins.htm

We should get to hear the interview tomorrow or Monday.

HawgAdvocate

Jonteviosk

Quote from: seasonhog on February 10, 2017, 06:53:47 pm

To many coaches goes down with the ship.......instead of firing a Asst.

I posted some two years back that Mike needed new Asst's......& let them coach........this team is lost....and talent is not the problem...

errrr 6 games left
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

hawg66

When the guy says the staff didn't work hard to get Monk his agenda is showing.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

EastexHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2017, 04:55:20 pm
If Mediocre Mike is retained, why shouldn't he be required to make another staff change? We demand that in football all the time. Why not replace Watkins with Corliss, Todd Day, Penny Hardaway, or maybe some totally outside person.

Keeping mediocre head coaches, but forcing them or even allowing them to retain their jobs by replacing assistant coaches is foolish.  Why let the head man keep passing the buck rather than being held accountable?  Who hired the inadequate assistants in the first place?

It's just an exercise in giving him mulligan after mulligan after mulligan, hoping he finally reaches a level of "success" that will allow someone in a position of authority to say, "See, I told you he could do it!"

How many seasons are we/they willing to squander in the meantime?

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 06:51:34 pm
As far as Buzz goes, he appears to be doing a good job in a tough job.  Building a program at VT in the ACC bloodbath is an uphill battle.  Maybe he wants to see it through though.  Would seem like he could find a path of less resistance at a program outside of the ACC.  Could you imagine our staff in a conference with UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, ND, FSU, UVa...?

Oh hell, this just made me laugh. Loud.

ArkansasI

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 14, 2017, 08:26:55 am
Keeping mediocre head coaches, but forcing them or even allowing them to retain their jobs by replacing assistant coaches is foolish.  Why let the head man keep passing the buck rather than being held accountable?  Who hired the inadequate assistants in the first place?

It's just an exercise in giving him mulligan after mulligan after mulligan, hoping he finally reaches a level of "success" that will allow someone in a position of authority to say, "See, I told you he could do it!"

How many seasons are we/they willing to squander in the meantime?
No doubt.  Aside from the fact that I don't believe Mike will let any of his guys go, what quality coach would come to Fayetteville to assist Mike?  Does anyone believe there are climbers looking for an opportunity to coach with this staff?

Geez, Nolan didn't produce head coaches.  Most believe (right or wrong) TJ is employed solely due to nepotism.

Exercise in futility.

Jonteviosk

You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

GuvHog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 13, 2017, 09:25:25 pm
The same argument could be made for CMA. It basically is, just  switch  some  names.

No it can't. Be serious. Frank Martin is in his 5th year at South Carolina, is headed for what likely will be his second season in a row with at least 25 wins, and his team is a virtual lock to be one of the top 5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament while Mike is in his 6th season and his team is struggling to even make the NCAA Tournament. Frank Martin is twice the Head coach that Mike will ever be. There is no comparison.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2017, 09:13:06 am
No it can't. Be serious. Frank Martin is in his 5th year at South Carolina, is headed for what likely will be his second season in a row with at least 25 wins, and his team is a virtual lock to be one of the top 5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament while Mike is in his 6th season and his team is struggling to even make the NCAA Tournament. Frank Martin is twice the Head coach that Mike will ever be. There is no comparison.

Go learn the game of basketball Frank Martin cant coach a girls B team he has Thornwell and once he leaves their back to sucking. How did the win 25 games last year playing the weakest schedule in college basketball. Care to try and fix the facts to fit your agenda again? No ok then.

FineAsSwine

hogsanity

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 09:20:50 am
Go learn the game of basketball Frank Martin cant coach a girls B team he has Thornwell and once he leaves their back to sucking. How did the win 25 games last year playing the weakest schedule in college basketball. Care to try and fix the facts to fit your agenda again? No ok then.

Sounds like what happened here after Portis left. Oh, except they went from 27 wins to 16.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 10:17:57 am
Sounds like what happened here after Portis left. Oh, except they went from 27 wins to 16.

How many we got this year?

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Not that I disagree but the in state talent is pretty rich and plentiful is it not? If it is in our backyard, doesn't that diminish the need to go outside the state?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on February 14, 2017, 11:16:50 am
Not that I disagree but the in state talent is pretty rich and plentiful is it not? If it is in our backyard, doesn't that diminish the need to go outside the state?

next years class only ranks in the mid 20's right now, and is more likely to drop than improve. Plus it does not really address any of the glaring issues. It is the 2018 class that is supposedly so good, ranked #1 right now but that's because of the # of commits. Once other schools get 3-5 commits it will not be a top 10 class.

It is a good two years compared to what the state has been producing, but it is not what some are portraying it as.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HF#1 on February 14, 2017, 11:16:50 am

It's decent, for now. In-state talent has rarely ever been a consistent product. There are no 5* players that I'm aware of, but there are a couple 4*s and some 3*s. Remember, Anton Beard and Hunter Mickelson were fringe 4* players. Madden was a top 30 player. Let's not assume that any future success will be automatic.

Kevin

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 09:20:50 am

that is ignorant. frank martin can coach. he has won everywhere he as been.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on February 14, 2017, 11:52:05 am
that is ignorant. frank martin can coach. he has won everywhere he as been.

Mike Anderson has done the same.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2017, 12:31:23 pm
Mike Anderson has done the same.

If playing in one ncaat in 5 years is winning, then, yea, I guess.