Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else just hear Dan Wolken on Gary Parrish's show?

Started by HawgAdvocate, February 10, 2017, 04:53:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

USA Today writer Dan Wolken was just on Parrish's radio show, and they had a segment on the struggles of Razorback basketball. They spoke about how Mike hasn't met expectations, yada yada yada. Wolken, at one point, said to Parrish, something very similar to, "I've heard stories, and I'm sure you have too. Their staff isn't very good. They're not known to hit the recruiting trail very hard."

I believe they also spoke about Buzz Williams being an ideal fit, due to his previous experience in the region, if our job came open. I had a call and only heard a portion of it.

Still, you've got a national media member/insider openly discussing what he feels is common knowledge to another insider about how sub-standard our staff is perceived to be. No bueno.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/830180337833668608

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

If Mediocre Mike is retained, why shouldn't he be required to make another staff change? We demand that in football all the time. Why not replace Watkins with Corliss, Todd Day, Penny Hardaway, or maybe some totally outside person.

SPAL

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2017, 04:55:20 pm
If Mediocre Mike is retained, why shouldn't he be required to make another staff change? We demand that in football all the time. Why not replace Watkins with Corliss, Todd Day, Penny Hardaway, or maybe some totally outside person.

Joe kleine maybe? What is Jamal Mashburn doing these days?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 10, 2017, 04:57:57 pm
Joe kleine maybe? What is Jamal Mashburn doing these days?

John Snively maybe?  Cannon Whitby??  Bueller?  Bueller??
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

That will be part of his coming back, he'll have to make a staff change, and not swapping guys around. I suspect Melvin will leave with Manny leaving, forced out, maybe.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 05:19:38 pm
That will be part of his coming back, he'll have to make a staff change, and not swapping guys around. I suspect Melvin will leave with Manny leaving, forced out, maybe.

Perhaps so. But I'll be shocked if it's anyone other than Lee Mayberry that replaces the departed. It took five years to move Coach Z a few feet over to the radio table for game nights only. He's still coaching every day. That was 'change.' Jeff won't force Mike to hire outside his comfort zone.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 10, 2017, 05:27:46 pm
Perhaps so. But I'll be shocked if it's anyone other than Lee Mayberry that replaces the departed. It took five years to move Coach Z a few feet over to the radio table for game nights only. He's still coaching every day. That was 'change.' Jeff won't force Mike to hire outside his comfort zone.

No, he'll just explain he needs to expand his "comfort" zone.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

3dawghawg

Pig Worshipper

hogwood

Thanks for posting HA. Is there a way we could listen to that segment?

hogwood

Quote from: 3dawghawg on February 10, 2017, 05:55:48 pm
I love to hear Buzz Williams name mentioned

I wonder if he'd be interested in another change though. He is trending up every year at VT, and is in the premier league right now.

That said he wouldn't be starting from scratch here. He'd have a talented roster next year, more so than his VT team - plus access to the already committed recruits. And he'd have legit chance at contending for the league title here much sooner than at VT IMO.

GuvHog

No doubt, Buzz would be a good choice as Hog HC but getting him to leave a premiere league like the ACC might be difficult.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GO

Replace all the coaches you want, but as long as Mike is running this faulted 40 the results will be similar. Need to blow this up and start fresh!

Atlhogfan1

So [CENSORED] dumb to force another assistant change and delay the inevitable.  And forcing him to hire an "outsider" is even more stupid.  Where are they going to find someone from outside the shrub with as [CENSORED] up of thinking to mesh with this?  This isn't football where you can hire an OC and implement a big change or a DC and install a new defense.  Well I guess you could.  If Mike steps aside and does...what?  Nothing?  Why would we be keeping him then?  So IF this new assistant fixes things and maybe helps recruiting, Mike can be the head coach to get the credit?  Make the new asst the head coach if they are the answer to the problems on the court and in recruiting.  Why should Mike, TJ and Scotty share in the credit? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

As far as Buzz goes, he appears to be doing a good job in a tough job.  Building a program at VT in the ACC bloodbath is an uphill battle.  Maybe he wants to see it through though.  Would seem like he could find a path of less resistance at a program outside of the ACC.  Could you imagine our staff in a conference with UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, ND, FSU, UVa...? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

seasonhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 10, 2017, 04:53:07 pm
USA Today writer Dan Wolken was just on Parrish's radio show, and they had a segment on the struggles of Razorback basketball. They spoke about how Mike hasn't met expectations, yada yada yada. Wolken, at one point, said to Parrish, something very similar to, "I've heard stories, and I'm sure you have too. Their staff isn't very good. They're not known to hit the recruiting trail very hard."

I believe they also spoke about Buzz Williams being an ideal fit, due to his previous experience in the region, if our job came open. I had a call and only heard a portion of it.

Still, you've got a national media member/insider openly discussing what he feels is common knowledge to another insider about how sub-standard our staff is perceived to be. No bueno.

To many coaches goes down with the ship.......instead of firing a Asst.

I posted some two years back that Mike needed new Asst's......& let them coach........this team is lost....and talent is not the problem...

Atlhogfan1

Forcing staff changes signals the end should be near.  It just drags it out. 

They did this darn with Heath. 

Sivad

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 06:59:29 pm
Forcing staff changes signals the end should be near.  It just drags it out. 

They did this darn with Heath. 
And Houston Dale Nutt.
It's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
We need a fresh start - no Mike no Nolan no umbilical ties to the past.

SONofHAM

It looks like they upload their podcast the following day. 

http://media.espn929.com/the-gary-parrish-show-with-geoff-calkins.htm

We should get to hear the interview tomorrow or Monday.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Sivad on February 10, 2017, 07:04:48 pm
And Houston Dale Nutt.
It's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
We need a fresh start - no Mike no Nolan no umbilical ties to the past.

I don't know how you bring an outsider into this illogical nonsense with a stubborn head coach leading it.  Guess Watkins got indoctrinated. 

realistichog

He nailed it. We have a bad coach that can't recruit. Only one wat to fix it is to clean house.

Letsroll1200

Who?

Tusks

I have no faith that JL can pull off anything of substance with coaching hires.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: tusked on February 10, 2017, 10:32:39 pm
I have no faith that JL can pull off anything of substance with coaching hires.

Why not?  So far he has hired 3 coaches that had really good resumes before they came here. I think he can hire a good basketball coach especially since this time he won't feel pressured into hiring a person he didn't want to to begin with.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

sadhogfan

Since the recruiting debacles of 2-3 years ago, they haven hit the recruiting trail pretty hard, have they not?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 05:31:11 pm
No, he'll just explain he needs to expand his "comfort" zone.

He'll also say he needs 2 more years to get it expanded.

East Clintwood

Quote from: GO on February 10, 2017, 06:44:44 pm
Replace all the coaches you want, but as long as Mike is running this faulted 40 the results will be similar. Need to blow this up and start fresh!

This.  Replacing assistants would just be prolonging the pain.

Mike needs to go.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

mckinneyhog5

My question is, does firing Anderson put the University and Nolan at odds again?  Is this the death of the hawgball era, once and for all, and the beginning of a new identity for the Hog BB team?

If so, what kind of style would you like to see? More offensive or more geared towards defense?

As for myself, I've always liked tough nosed defensive teams over offensive ones.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

(notOM)Rebel123

If Mike is retained....

How 'bout we replace Watkins with someone who is a good coach & recruiter? We have enough "nostalgia" in suits on the bench as it is.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 11, 2017, 02:28:36 am
My question is, does firing Anderson put the University and Nolan at odds again?  Is this the death of the hawgball era, once and for all, and the beginning of a new identity for the Hog BB team?

If so, what kind of style would you like to see? More offensive or more geared towards defense?

As for myself, I've always liked tough nosed defensive teams over offensive ones.

Does it really matter at this point?

GuvHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 11, 2017, 02:28:36 am

Frankly, I don't care what style of basketball the next coach prefers, I just want him to make the Hogs winners.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogBreath

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 10, 2017, 10:57:34 pm
Since the recruiting debacles of 2-3 years ago, they haven hit the recruiting trail pretty hard, have they not?
Well two years I guess, isn't the current soph. class the one that ended up with zero recruits after Whitt bailed.

But still, it is impressive that after only 4-5 years, Mike suddenly realized, hey, we got to recruit.  Although, Mike's last Mizzou class didn't have any recruits either, so it may be 5-6 years they have taken off.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

TheEnemy

Apparently, Dan Wolken does not read Hogville or he would know Mike Anderson is one of the top 5-15  coaches in the country.

The_Iceman

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 10, 2017, 10:57:34 pm

Every player committed in the next two classes are either in state kids, or have strong in state connections. This staff has failed to recruit quality high school kids from outside the state.

Inhogswetrust

I agree with them EXCEPT neither one are coaching experts. Just because someone works for CBS doesn't make them a coaching expert.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 05:08:31 pm
John Snively maybe?  Cannon Whitby??  Bueller?  Bueller??

Snively has a good job not in coaching.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2017, 09:22:00 am
Every player committed in the next two classes are either in state kids, or have strong in state connections. This staff has failed to recruit quality high school kids from outside the state.

They have failed to recruit well EVERYWHERE with only a couple of exceptions. Other than one or two he hasn't exactly kept outsiders from raiding Arkansas either.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 10, 2017, 06:20:32 pm
So do I.

So should everyone get a buzz haircut as a form of endorsement for him? I think Buzz would be a really good hire.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogwood on February 10, 2017, 06:24:12 pm
I wonder if he'd be interested in another change though. He is trending up every year at VT, and is in the premier league right now.

That said he wouldn't be starting from scratch here. He'd have a talented roster next year, more so than his VT team - plus access to the already committed recruits. And he'd have legit chance at contending for the league title here much sooner than at VT IMO.

VT doesn't have near the commitment to basketball they do for football. UVA is definitely the #1 program in the state and there are others really close to them than wipes them away in basketball commitment. Arkansas should be the better job. Except for the top half or so in the conference just because a team plays in the ACC that doesn't necessarily make it a better job than a lot of others.

FaytownHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2017, 09:22:00 am
Until this year, he's failed to get the top teir IN STATE talent as well.

Hawg Red

It's funny how much of a 180 this board has done when it comes to Buzz Williams. I was his most vocal supporter after Pelphrey was fired and I got HAMMERED by several posters.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 11, 2017, 10:23:09 am
It's funny how much of a 180 this board has done when it comes to Buzz Williams. I was his most vocal supporter after Pelphrey was fired and I got HAMMERED by several posters.

Because they wanted CMA and no other.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Tommyet

Darrell Walker would be a great fit as a assistant coach . NBA experience, great recruiter, passionate about the hogs. Also  One of the best   Defensive players  we've ever had on the hill !!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 11, 2017, 09:55:24 am
Until this year, he's failed to get the top teir IN STATE talent as well.

Let's be fair. He did land Portis and Beard. But losing Archie shouldn't be forgotten either.

Porked Tongue

Corliss is the probably the worst possible choice. Love him as a Hog but not as coach.

Porked Tongue

This is the biggest problem I have with Mike.

He is steadfast in the way he plays and adjusts very little.  Coaches around him are there only to support his way to play.  In good programs, you have functional staff members who specialize in certain aspects and can influence adjustments.

This is just a staff of family and friends that essentially backslap each other.  It only functions well when it's going well.

He is unwilling to change.  Hiring a different assistant will not serve any purpose as he's not going to be receptive to new ideas and adjustments.

He's the captain.
He's not going to change no matter who sits beside him.

Rbill

I'm glad this is getting some discussion. I was asking about this in a thread about assistant coaching. Mike should be required to clean house and hire people he may not even know, but have the best qualifications to coach our guys and recruit. I honestly think this might be the biggest fault with Mike and our program. We need to insist it's run like a business and the best candidates get the jobs. New assistants could help us with recruiting, fundamentals, and adjustments. Sure it would be a perfect world if Mike could do all of that without the help of assistants ( for those saying replacing assistants is delaying the inevitable) but that doesn't make building a quality staff a bad idea. Surrounding yourself with talent and people who will push the team forward should be a no-brainer.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: TheEnemy on February 11, 2017, 08:59:30 am
Apparently, Dan Wolken does not read Hogville or he would know Mike Anderson is one of the top 5-15  coaches in the country.

Maybe top 10-12. Maybe.
[CENSORED]!