Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing I do not understand, why did 13K+ buy season tickets

Started by hogsanity, February 08, 2017, 08:33:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I've never understood buying season tickets for anything on the hill because tickets are so easy to get for any game you want, but especially why buy season basketball tickets? I know people who do it, and then maybe go to 2 games per year. I just do not get it, at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

They bought them to keep from losing their position in the pecking order. You work your way up over time. System is designed to encourage renewals.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 08:33:48 am
I've never understood buying season tickets for anything on the hill because tickets are so easy to get for any game you want, but especially why buy season basketball tickets? I know people who do it, and then maybe go to 2 games per year. I just do not get it, at all.

If there isn't a coaching change, my father is giving his up. My uncle cancelled his 4 last year.

Enough is enough. Mike is pitiful.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 08, 2017, 08:40:00 am
They bought them to keep from losing their position in the pecking order. You work your way up over time. System is designed to encourage renewals.

first thing that brings to mind is the old saying about a fool and his money
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgWild

Many fans remember the time when you couldn't get seats to the game. I was on a wait list for a few years before getting mine. They're still hoping to get back to the good old days.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 08, 2017, 08:40:00 am
It's called having enough money to spend on stuff like this that it would not change your life any if you flushed that same money down the toilet and maintaining just enough hope that sooner than later the program will be top 10 again and you'll have great seats to every game and be the envy of the town.

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgWild on February 08, 2017, 09:08:37 am
Many fans remember the time when you couldn't get seats to the game. I was on a wait list for a few years before getting mine. They're still hoping to get back to the good old days.

Tickets have not been a problem since BWA opened. There has never been a game I wanted to go to that I could not get tickets. Even in the 1st 3 seasons it was open, the nc year, the runner up year included, I went to well over half the home games and most of the time went for way under face.

lutherheggs

I guess I am in the minority among life-long Razorback fans. I dumped by 6 season tickets in football after '02 when I was so frustrated with Nutt and could see he was going to likely be around for a long time. Have never picked them back up. Most long-time fans who have been season ticket holders for a number of years will not do this. They have everlasting hope and are optimistic before every season even if reality points to a likely .500 or worse year.

The university preys on this type of irrational fan emotion in addition to spinning it as supporting the university and its mission. If I want to support the university and its mission, it won't be by donating thousands to the RF and spending another $2 to $3K on tickets every year so that 15 coaches are paid combined $5 million and 90% of the players would never be in college for academics.

RazorPiggie

I actually thought about buying season tickets a couple years ago before our one tourney appearance. I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. May regret it in a couple of years if we get a decent coach.

porkinsons disease

This was supposed to be "the year". Remember that line of the great juco class was taking us back to the promised land
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

lutherheggs

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 08, 2017, 09:15:51 am
I actually thought about buying season tickets a couple years ago before our one tourney appearance. I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. May regret it in a couple of years if we get a decent coach.
See? This is the type of fan think I refer to above. I guess every program that has ever sniffed success has a decent percentage of these.

TuskDr

I attended the UofA from 1986 to 1990. These were not really good years for basketball, but Barnhill was sold out for every game. One year they applied general seating to the students. If you wanted to get a good seat, a student would have to show up hours before the game. A person my age can remember the good teams and the difficulty in getting good seats. That's one reason why people continue to buy season tickets.

hogsanity

Quote from: TuskDr on February 08, 2017, 10:06:02 am
I attended the UofA from 1986 to 1990. These were not really good years for basketball, but Barnhill was sold out for every game. One year they applied general seating to the students. If you wanted to get a good seat, a student would have to show up hours before the game. A person my age can remember the good teams and the difficulty in getting good seats. That's one reason why people continue to buy season tickets.

Half as many seats, not many TV games, and the team had been consistently in the ncaat for over a decade ( with 2 exceptions I think ).

TuskDr

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:08:22 am
Half as many seats, not many TV games, and the team had been consistently in the ncaat for over a decade ( with 2 exceptions I think ).
[/qu
ote]
Remember that the student population was 1/2 its current number. NW Arkansas had not boomed like it has now. There was no good way to get to Fayetteville from any part of the state.  I'm not disagreeing with you. TV has a lot to do with attendance but poor basketball with no hope of improvement is a killer to a program. 

lstewart

Moved to NW Ark in the summer of 93, and ended up with season tickets for the first year in Walton Arena and the national championship season. Had to scramble like crazy to find a 3rd ticket every game for my grade school son. We had season tickets from then on until the end of Pell. Had a son playing high school basketball then, the Hogs were bad, and I was tired of trying to go to 4 basketball games a week. Dropped them for a couple of years, but wife talked me into getting them again with Mike here. I've been to every home game this year, but am ready to drop them again. Just not as big a fan as I used to be, and am tired of sitting through games like last night. As far as why people buy them but don't go to the games, probably a few reasons. Out of town folks maybe want to come to some games, but not all of them. Some probably are wanting to keep their good seats, but are waiting for the team to get better. A couple of other reasons as well. Probably some corporate purchases. But I bet the number drops for next season.

Boared feet

Quote from: TuskDr on February 08, 2017, 10:17:20 am
Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:08:22 am
[/qu
ote]
Remember that the student population was 1/2 its current number. NW Arkansas had not boomed like it has now. There was no good way to get to Fayetteville from any part of the state.  I'm not disagreeing with you. TV has a lot to do with attendance but poor basketball with no hope of improvement is a killer to a program.

The reconciling fact is that, had Kavon Allen & Monk came to Arkansas, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't know about Allen, but MA pulled out the stops to get Monk, including having he and his team go to Monks HS game/s in support.
MA has not had success in bringing the right big man in that would set the foundation as well as that Corey Beck point guard either.

code red

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 08, 2017, 09:14:53 am
I guess I am in the minority among life-long Razorback fans. I dumped by 6 season tickets in football after '02 when I was so frustrated with Nutt and could see he was going to likely be around for a long time. Have never picked them back up. Most long-time fans who have been season ticket holders for a number of years will not do this. They have everlasting hope and are optimistic before every season even if reality points to a likely .500 or worse year.

The university preys on this type of irrational fan emotion in addition to spinning it as supporting the university and its mission. If I want to support the university and its mission, it won't be by donating thousands to the RF and spending another $2 to $3K on tickets every year so that 15 coaches are paid combined $5 million and 90% of the players would never be in college for academics.
For the first year since 1999....I am considering not renewing.  The product is just not SEC worthy.  And, there seems to be no sense of urgency on the hill.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HawgAdvocate

Similar reasoning as to why our fans believe every recruit we sign is destined to be the next Todd Day, Michael Qualls, Bobby Portis, Corey Beck, etc. The majority of fans build ridiculous expectations every year, only to be disappointed and somehow forget their chronic overestimation the next time around. Wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually, whether its two more years or 20, they'll have a single year of happiness.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

tasteslikechicken

Got tix when Mike first got here but dropped them before last year because I was one who only went to 2-3 games a year.  Got the weekend SEC mini plan (5 games) this year and have really liked it. So far.

NWAHog479

Because they are true fans and support our University. Why don't you make it to Bud Walton Arena?

Cubbie08

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 09, 2017, 08:41:37 am
Because they are true fans and support our University. Why don't you make it to Bud Walton Arena?

I have been to 3 games this year. I won't be going to another one. My wife and I will continue to support the University, but we will give to the academic side, which we have been doing since we graduated college. It's just not fun to go the the Bud right now, I don't see anything wrong with people not going to an entertainment event that is not entertaining. 

hogsanity

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 09, 2017, 08:41:37 am

Ah yes, back to the only true fans being those who have season tickets or attend alot of games.

Why don't I go? Because I have better things to do with my time and money. I have a HS Sr and a 8th grader. I referee 2 or 3 nights a week, I have responsibilities at our church, and I volunteer with local youth sports organizations. Why would I spend 4 hours to go to a basketball game ( counting travel from FS and back ) to see a product I can't even stand to watch in real time on tv?

I go to games sometimes. Took my son to the opener last year and at half time we both had already figured out they would be lucky to make it to .500 last year. HAve not been to a game since.

But my question is more about those who buy season tickets then never use them. My dad's neighbor, who I get tickets from when I want to go, has not gone to one game the last 3 years, but he keeps buying season tickets, whats the point of that. If you just want to give the school money, give it to an academic scholarship fund.

Cubbie08

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 08:51:19 am

My dad's neighbor, who I get tickets from when I want to go, has not gone to one game the last 3 years, but he keeps buying season tickets, whats the point of that. If you just want to give the school money, give it to an academic scholarship fund.

My in-laws have tickets and never go. They told me they have always had them and always will. They give them away to friends and family, just a nice thing to have if they wan't to go that night. It's their money and they can do with it what they want.

McKdaddy

I know people who do it, and then maybe go to 2 games per year. I just do not get it, at all.

We are guilty of this.  8th row seats and don't want to lose them.  I make 1/2 and offer many of them to clients and friends.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

NWAHog479

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 08:51:19 am
Ah yes, back to the only true fans being those who have season tickets or attend alot of games.

Why don't I go? Because I have better things to do with my time and money. I have a HS Sr and a 8th grader. I referee 2 or 3 nights a week, I have responsibilities at our church, and I volunteer with local youth sports organizations. Why would I spend 4 hours to go to a basketball game ( counting travel from FS and back ) to see a product I can't even stand to watch in real time on tv?

I go to games sometimes. Took my son to the opener last year and at half time we both had already figured out they would be lucky to make it to .500 last year. HAve not been to a game since.

But my question is more about those who buy season tickets then never use them. My dad's neighbor, who I get tickets from when I want to go, has not gone to one game the last 3 years, but he keeps buying season tickets, whats the point of that. If you just want to give the school money, give it to an academic scholarship fund.

I do not have the answer to that question because I do not understand it either. Any single time that I cannot make a game I will give them to a fellow buddy/fan or sell them if I need a little cash. On games where we can't fill the arena I wish they would give away tickets to the local youth basketball teams that would enjoy watching anybody play.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2017, 02:21:13 pm
Similar reasoning as to why our fans believe every recruit we sign is destined to be the next Todd Day, Michael Qualls, Bobby Portis, Corey Beck, etc. The majority of fans build ridiculous expectations every year, only to be disappointed and somehow forget their chronic overestimation the next time around. Wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually, whether its two more years or 20, they'll have a single year of happiness.

Some fans merely look at the available players, set expectations for normal development, and then compare results with what should have happened. That's the huge problem right now. Too many losses that shouldn't have happened vs. wins that showed outperformance. Arkansas has 17 wins, but how many of those were against the odds? Scheduled a lot of wins.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 10:11:25 am
Some fans merely look at the available players, set expectations for normal development, and then compare results with what should have happened. That's the huge problem right now. Too many losses that shouldn't have happened vs. wins that showed outperformance. Arkansas has 17 wins, but how many of those were against the odds? Scheduled a lot of wins.

One thing about this season's 7 losses. I wrote off KY as meaningless, it was expected. FLa at home was a toss up at best. MN, ok, 1st road game. But there have been 4 inexplicable losses. MSU at home should have been a huge warning sign because they could not stop MSu's guards from doing whatever they wanted. At OSU, just a pathetic effort - team unprepared. Mizzu - really, I mean REALLY!? And then Vandy earlier this week. Had they lost at Vandy and then beaten them here, ok, Vandy is a tough place to play, but to go win there then play them here, WITHOUT THEIR BEST SCORER, and get run out of our own gym- that is inexcusable.

And, without 3 collapses by home teams, this team would have 10 losses already. 

PigWig

It's a combination of several factors for me.

1. I have pretty good seats (Row 5) locked in at a very low donation amount. To get the same seats as a new season ticket holder, I would have to donate about 10X what I do now.

2. My wife and I like basketball. We only miss a game or so per season, and it is nice to have a parking pass in a close lot and not have to worry about hunting down tickets every game.

3. I just like supporting the kids and the UofA. It's sad when I go to these games and see 7K fans there. These kids chose to be Hogs, and I want them to feel supported/appreciated for that decision.

I won't be giving up my tickets regardless of the outcome of this season or the future of the coaching staff. I won't be doing it in football either. I can find other ways to voice my concerns, and believe it or not, your voice has more weight with the administration as someone who does financially support the University than as a random fan off the street.

Sivad

Quote from: PigWig on February 09, 2017, 12:34:27 pm

1. I have pretty good seats (Row 5) locked in at a very low donation amount. To get the same seats as a new season ticket holder, I would have to donate about 10X what I do now.

2. My wife and I like basketball. We only miss a game or so per season, and it is nice to have a parking pass in a close lot and not have to worry about hunting down tickets every game.

3. I just like supporting the kids and the UofA. It's sad when I go to these games and see 7K fans there. These kids chose to be Hogs, and I want them to feel supported/appreciated for that decision.

I won't be giving up my tickets regardless of the outcome of this season or the future of the coaching staff. I won't be doing it in football either. I can find other ways to voice my concerns, and believe it or not, your voice has more weight with the administration as someone who does financially support the University than as a random fan off the street.
Kudos to you sir. A real Razorback fan and supporter of the programs.

Captain Morgan

It sounds like you were one of the guys with cash who forced the Anderson hire on Long.

Now you guys are getting defensive because the program took 40 minutes to be 6 feet under.

Let the AD make the next hire and you gets get your greasy hands out of the future coaching search.

You administrators brought us Pelphrey and Anderson.

Let the AD do his own research and his own homework this time PLEASE!

hogsanity

I was asking about those who buy season tix then never go, not people who actually use their tickets.

Honestly, from the season tickets holders I know, for most of them it is ego/pride at being able to say they have season tickets. hey do not seem to enjoy going to games when they do actually use their tickets.

I dont really care what people do with their money, I just wondered why people would spend that much and then never go. It'd be like buying a shipment of fine steaks, then never cooking them and letting them spoil.

PigWig

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 09, 2017, 12:49:52 pm
It sounds like you were one of the guys with cash who forced the Anderson hire on Long.

Now you guys are getting defensive because the program took 40 minutes to be 6 feet under.

Let the AD make the next hire and you gets get your greasy hands out of the future coaching search.

You administrators brought us Pelphrey and Anderson.

Let the AD do his own research and his own homework this time PLEASE!
Far from it, but I did support the hiring of Mike Anderson.  He had a very good resume that included 6 NCAAT appearances, multiple Sweet 16s, and an Elite 8.  He had Arkansas ties, an exciting style of play, and he had won at both UAB and Mizzou.  It was a good hire at the time, things just haven't worked out the way Hog fans hoped. 

Despite what the uninformed may believe, this program is in a lot better shape now than when Mike took over.  The academic issues are behind us.  The disciplinary issues are behind us.  The 2-14 SEC seasons are behind.  The 14-18 regular seasons are behind us.  Mike has cleaned things up and taken us out of the cellar, but he hasn't been able to get us over the hump.

If it comes to a coaching change, I just hope we have a good replacement lined up.  There are much worse coaches out there than Mike Anderson (his predecessor for example).  If we can get someone in here who can take us to the next level, then so be it, but it would be ill-advised to make a change without knowing which candidates are legitimately interested in this job.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: PigWig on February 09, 2017, 01:42:45 pm
Far from it, but I did support the hiring of Mike Anderson.  He had a very good resume that included 6 NCAAT appearances, multiple Sweet 16s, and an Elite 8.  He had Arkansas ties, an exciting style of play, and he had won at both UAB and Mizzou.  It was a good hire at the time, things just haven't worked out the way Hog fans hoped. 

Despite what the uninformed may believe, this program is in a lot better shape now than when Mike took over.  The academic issues are behind us.  The disciplinary issues are behind us.  The 2-14 SEC seasons are behind.  The 14-18 regular seasons are behind us.  Mike has cleaned things up and taken us out of the cellar, but he hasn't been able to get us over the hump.

If it comes to a coaching change, I just hope we have a good replacement lined up.  There are much worse coaches out there than Mike Anderson (his predecessor for example).  If we can get someone in here who can take us to the next level, then so be it, but it would be ill-advised to make a change without knowing which candidates are legitimately interested in this job.

I recall a season with Pel being bad but never in all my years watching Arkansas basketball have I seen it as bad as 3 of these last 4 games. This is JUST AS BAD as the Pel currently!  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

hogsanity

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 09, 2017, 02:19:26 pm
I recall a season with Pel being bad but never in all my years watching Arkansas basketball have I seen it as bad as 3 of these last 4 games. This is JUST AS BAD as the Pel currently!  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

They lost to worse teams, but did so with teams that were not in a position to do anything. These last 3 losses have been brutal in they way they happened, and where the team was going into them.

Hog-Corleone

QuoteOne thing I do not understand, why did 13K+ buy season tickets

Asking this question just emphasis the point that this program is nowhere close to where it should be in year 6.  I think it is ludicrous to be asking this kind of question at this point.  We should be asking: "Why can't i get season tickets?" or "How long am I going to be on this waiting list for season tickets?" or "Does anybody know where I can get a ticket to the game tonight?"

Ridiculous, and I don't see it getting better.

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

rljjr

Quote from: PigWig on February 09, 2017, 01:42:45 pm

Yeah. We're MILES removed from 14-18 with that blistering 16-16 season last year.