Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach?

Started by Ham Sandwich, February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 04, 2017, 07:58:52 pm
why dig up old posts to keep stuff going ?

Because there are people claiming threads like this never happened.

There are more but I think I have made my point.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 07:53:31 pm
HERE you go Red.

I saw a few posts that were borderline, but none of the "pure hate" you claimed. Jeff Long seemed to get as much harsh criticism in this thread. Just people talking about a good replacement. I don't see how that's hateful.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 08:04:38 pm

I questioned your assertion that there were hateful threads. Threads that just about good replacement candidates is not being hateful to me.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 08:05:26 pm
I saw a few posts that were borderline, but none of the "pure hate" you claimed. Jeff Long seemed to get as much harsh criticism in this thread. Just people talking about a good replacement. I don't see how that's hateful.

It's hate filled.

Coaches are judged by seasons not games.

The jerks that started this thread were hoping for the worst from our team. That's enough for me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 08:05:26 pm
Not outright hateful, just presumptuous.
Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2017, 08:43:22 pm
Who did he beat? Just Virginia.
Yep, sarcasm!   8)

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 08:06:46 pm
I questioned your assertion that there were hateful threads. Threads that just about good replacement candidates is not being hateful to me.

Threads like this are great examples of message board hate. You aren't going to see any that are hateful in a personal way towards coaches or players because the mods will get rid of that kind of thing and the people who do it, rightfully so.

But in as much as we both know there are people who are pulling for the hogs to fail in order to fire MA, those are message board haters.

It's merely semantics.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 08:04:38 pm

Anderson deserved every bit of damn criticism he got. Just good enough is bull.  But that is what we have going.  You disappeared but now want to bring darn back up when the criticism and frustration was justified.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 04, 2017, 09:00:20 pm
Anderson deserved every bit of damn criticism he got. Just good enough is bull.  But that is what we have going.  You disappeared but now want to bring darn back up when the criticism and frustration was justified.

his type would not think Mike should be criticized if th Hogs went 0-32
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Gonzo

Yes, though it was overblown by some (just like the eye poking tonight is overblown imo) there was legit room for concern a month ago. But be fair though and give credit where credit is due, MA and this team have responded quite well and are playing much better than "just good enough" at the moment, at least to my eye. I don't expect them to win next weekend or make the Sweet 16, but as improved as they seem from a month ago I wouldn't consider either shocking.

Go Hogs!

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 08:09:03 pm
It's hate filled.

Coaches are judged by seasons not games.

The jerks that started this thread were hoping for the worst from our team. That's enough for me.

I don't see it that. People want the program to improve. The reaction to the OSU-Mizzou-Vandy losses was about more than just those games and you know it, or are you saying criticism hasn't been given before then. At that point, we were seriously looking at missing the NCAA tournament yet again. You expect people to not start looking elsewhere when they're faced with one NCAA tournament appearance in six years? To his credit and the team's credit, Mike and boys righted the ship just in time. Most fans are happy with that, but people like you, Youngsta, Letsroll, ans FCJ can't get over that people aren't married to Anderson as a savior. Mike is a professional basketball coach. He makes over 2 million dollars a season. Message board criticism is completely fair game. No one attacked his character then and no one is calling for his head now. Isn't a good thing?

Mike won me over with his performance this year. Save for a period of one week, I've been happy all season. And, honestly, I didn't even react that strongly when he lost to Missouri. I was sad and somewhat numb, but it wasn't until we got handled by a short-handed Vandy squad in BWA that I started to lose faith. You guys like to say don't judge the coach by a game or series of a few games, but you are certaintly judging a large number of posters based on their reaction to a couple games. But none of us are professionals at this like Mike is at his job.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 09:12:04 pm
Yes, though it was overblown by some (just like the eye poking tonight is overblown imo) there was legit rook for concern a month ago. But be fair though and give credit where credit is due, MA and this team have responded quite well and are playing much better than "just good enough" at the moment, at least to my eye. I don't expect them to win next weekend or make the Sweet 16, but as improved as they seem from a month ago I wouldn't consider either shocking.

Go Hogs!

Credit given.  Good job on defensive adjustment vs LSU second half. Good job beating the offensively challenged. 

Not shocking.  Good enough.  Beat SC which was a good win and enough for an 8/9 seed in NCAAT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Mike didn't deserve the critism that he received at all. A faithful few on this board was trying to tell A lot of hogville heroes that the program is headed in the right direction. Do you believe it now? If not just keep watching

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 04, 2017, 09:17:20 pm
Mike didn't deserve the critism that he received at all. A faithful few on this board was trying to tell A lot of hogville heroes that the program is headed in the right direction. Do you believe it now? If not just keep watching

I believe you are more of a Nolan fan than Arkansas fan. 

I believe Mike is just good enough which is not a good place for a program to be in.

snoblind

Gonzo

Claiming MA didn't deserve to be questioned at all during that stretch is just as inane as those who were calling for him to be fired on the spot. Blind allegiance to a coach over the welfare of the program, which some here do, don't know own about you specifically, is just as misguided as the blind negavitism y'all keep talking about. There is not a program in the country with national aspirations that wouldn't have had some doubters at that point, along with the non-doubters, just like we saw here.

Go Hogs!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 09:31:55 pm
Claiming MA didn't deserve to be questioned at all during that stretch is just as inane as those who were calling for him to be fired on the spot. Blind allegiance to a coach over the welfare of the program, which some here do, don't know own about you specifically, is just as misguided as the blind negavitism y'all keep talking about. There is not a program in the country with national aspirations that wouldn't have had some doubters at that point, along with the non-doubters, just like we saw here.

Go Hogs!

Questioning some in game strategy is fine. Criticising MA about the direction of the program was not warranted. Mike has proven that he can get the job done. What a coaching job by Mike this season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 04, 2017, 09:22:52 pm
I believe you are more of a Nolan fan than Arkansas fan. 

I believe Mike is just good enough which is not a good place for a program to be in.

Nolan is Arkansas basketball. When people mention Arkansas basketball the next name they mention is Nolan.

Gonzo

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 04, 2017, 09:41:10 pm
Questioning some in game strategy is fine. Criticising MA about the direction of the program was not warranted. Mike has proven that he can get the job done. What a coaching job by Mike this season.

So you are allowed to find things that can be questioned but others aren't allowed to have their own views if they differ from yours?  Oh well, guess y'all can just keep fighting for that group think, good luck winning the Internet

Go Hogs!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 09:45:10 pm
So you are allowed to find things that can be questioned but others aren't allowed to have their own views if they differ from yours?  Oh well, guess y'all can just keep fighting for that group think, good luck winning the Internet

Go Hogs!

Just keep watching

Gonzo

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 04, 2017, 09:52:56 pm
Just keep watching

Keep watching what? I do watch, I enjoy it when they win, hate it when they lose, just like most fans. Do you somehow think the Hogs performance somehow reflects upon you or any other fan?  What if it goes a direction you don't expect? Would that then be a bad reflection on you? I wouldn't think so but maybe you're way more special than the rest of us lowly regular fans. Only been watching all this stuff for 4 decades, what would I know about any of it?

You have a nice rest of the weekend

Go Hogs!

hogsanity

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 09:45:10 pm

Go Hogs!

again, any criticism of Mike Anderson means you hate him on a personal level.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 04, 2017, 10:12:11 pm

You are pathetic. Good to see you showing up for the wins too now.

Woo Pig!

Gonzo

Some did go overboard imo. Calls for firing him mid-season were unfounded I thought, just like the blind loyalty from some.  Just the all or nothing  nature of the Interwebz I guess

Go Hogs!

Hogginintheville

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 09:13:49 pm
I don't see it that. People want the program to improve. The reaction to the OSU-Mizzou-Vandy losses was about more than just those games and you know it, or are you saying criticism hasn't been given before then. At that point, we were seriously looking at missing the NCAA tournament yet again. You expect people to not start looking elsewhere when they're faced with one NCAA tournament appearance in six years? To his credit and the team's credit, Mike and boys righted the ship just in time. Most fans are happy with that, but people like you, Youngsta, Letsroll, ans FCJ can't get over that people aren't married to Anderson as a savior. Mike is a professional basketball coach. He makes over 2 million dollars a season. Message board criticism is completely fair game. No one attacked his character then and no one is calling for his head now. Isn't a good thing?

Mike won me over with his performance this year. Save for a period of one week, I've been happy all season. And, honestly, I didn't even react that strongly when he lost to Missouri. I was sad and somewhat numb, but it wasn't until we got handled by a short-handed Vandy squad in BWA that I started to lose faith. You guys like to say don't judge the coach by a game or series of a few games, but you are certaintly judging a large number of posters based on their reaction to a couple games. But none of us are professionals at this like Mike is at his job.

This is how most Hog fans feel.

Gonzo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:14:41 pm
You are pathetic. Good to see you showing up for the wins too now.

Woo Pig!

Maybe y'all are peas from different ends of the same pod

Go Hogs!

Razorback_Mack

Says who? The vast majority were slamming him a month ago. The minority pulled for MA.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 04, 2017, 09:41:10 pm

He hasn't proven he can get it done at Arkansas. He has done enough to warrant another year but don't act like he has brought us back yet.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 10:23:45 pm
He hasn't proven he can get it done at Arkansas. He has done enough to warrant another year but don't act like he has brought us back yet.
This thread did not work out to well for you fire Mike Anderson guys.and you are pissed about it.Mike is not getting fired.so get the heck over it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 04, 2017, 10:28:01 pm
This thread did not work out to well for you fire Mike Anderson guys.and you are pissed about it.Mike is not getting fired.so get the heck over it.

This

Gonzo

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 10:23:45 pm

Still a ways to go with this season to define it clearly just yet imo, they are closing stronger, I think a win next week and/or a multi week run after would be a pretty nice feather in his cap worth many kudos

Go Hogs!

ShadowHawg

This. Could it be those of us who still believed saw what those who doubted couldn't?

It turns out I for one, fcj, and others were right. If you followed my posts on the subject you would have seen where my faith was based on MA having NEVER missed the ncaa when he had the talent to do so.

The reason I didn't give up is because I actually played into college and have coached at high school level and know that EVERY team will have a couple of games in a 30 game schedule where you could lose to anyone. Especially at the collegiate level. The other team is made of scholarship players also.

Basketball isn't over until the season ends. You will drive yourself nuts if you take it game by game.

Those who believed were RIGHT in the end and you didn't have to be blindly loyal to have kept the faith.

Gonzo

In all fairness Joe, the same can be said for all the eye pokers tonight too. Get over it and just enjoy the Hogs coming up in the postseason. That's my plan anyway

Go Hogs!

Hogginintheville

Joe, I'm happier than you are Mike has turned things around this year and we are going to the dance but unlike you I just want to Hogs to win no matter who the coach is.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:32:15 pm
This. Could it be those of us who still believed saw what those who doubted couldn't?

It turns out I for one, fcj, and others were right. If you followed my posts on the subject you would have seen where my faith was based on MA having NEVER missed the ncaa when he had the talent to do so.

The reason I didn't give up is because I actually played into college and have coached at high school level and know that EVERY team will have a couple of games in a 30 game schedule where you could lose to anyone. Especially at the collegiate level. The other team is made of scholarship players also.

Basketball isn't over until the season ends. You will drive yourself nuts if you take it game by game.

Those who believed were RIGHT in the end and you didn't have to be blindly loyal to have kept the faith.

How big of a cookie are you jokers looking for?

Hogginintheville

The one and only reason I was calling for his head was because he flat out wasn't getting the job done. I'm excited he is getting the job done now. I hope he continues his great work!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 10:34:05 pm
In all fairness Joe, the same can be said for all the eye pokers tonight too. Get over it and just enjoy the Hogs coming up in the postseason. That's my plan anyway

Go Hogs!

In all fairness? Really?

Fcj was made fun of all season for stating positive. He was called a troll, etc, for being excited about winning a game.

Those who were WRONG would jump in and say we were supposed to win, blah, blah.

How bout you move on and leave the man alone?

Atlhogfan1

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 04, 2017, 10:39:48 pm
Just good enough.  It is what is happening.

Just your opinion, which you keep going on about all year as if it was a fact.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 10:37:53 pm
The one and only reason I was calling for his head was because he flat out wasn't getting the job done. I'm excited he is getting the job done now. I hope he continues his great work!

REALLY? Since when is being projected outside tournament for a portion of a week no getting it done?

This is the kind of stuff we were pointing out but were made fun of for.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 04, 2017, 10:42:08 pm
Just your opinion, which you keep going on about all year as if it was a fact.
Every year.  Just enough.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:39:17 pm
In all fairness? Really?

Fcj was made fun of all season for stating positive. He was called a troll, etc, for being excited about winning a game.

How bout you move on and leave the many alone.

He was called a troll for posting the exact opposite of what he posts here on another board.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:42:27 pm
REALLY? Since when is being projected outside tournament for a portion of a week no getting it done?

This is the kind of stuff we were pointing out but were made fun of for.

I'm talking big picture. In year 6 we shouldn't be projected outside the tournament at any point during the season.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 10:44:51 pm
I'm talking big picture. In year 6 we shouldn't be projected outside the tournament at any point during the season.

BS.

All that matters is that you position yourself as a lock BEFORE the conference tournament. That doesn't happen when you aren't getting it done

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 10:43:46 pm
He was called a troll for posting the exact opposite of what he posts here on another board.

So he's a hater on another board?

Gonzo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:39:17 pm
In all fairness? Really?

How bout you move on and leave the many alone.

Sorry if me voicing an opinion bothers you, but it probably won't deter me from doing so. Had you been paying attention I have said repeatedly I thought the negativity went overboard at times, just like I think some of y'all are going overboard this evening trying to gloat about something that is not a result of anything anyone here arguing about it did. Joe  isn't the leader of the eye poker pack tonight imo, several much more egregious than him, yourself among the leaders.

The Hogs haven't proved anything about anyone other than themselves, and that's they are a very resilient squad that is peaking at the right time, and much/most of that credit goes to their coach. As the old adage goes, listening to much of the rest of the claptrap here just reminds me of two fleas arguing about which one owns the elephant on which they feed.

If you don't care to hear what I think, my suggestion is don't read it, it's not likely to simply vanish

Go Hogs!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 07, 2017, 09:55:47 pm
Long had to hire Anderson and Bielema looked like a home run at the time.

True, but we almost had Grobe until Jerry called and arranged a meeting with Petrino, who wanted the job.

Long's knack for hiring the obvious is, well, obvious.
His ability to hire under different circumstances has had me concerned with him from the beginning.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 10:54:41 pm
Sorry if me voicing an opinion bothers you, but it probably won't deter me from doing so. Had you been paying attention I have said repeatedly I thought the negativity went overboard at times, just like I think some of y'all are going overboard this evening trying to gloat about something that is not a result of anything anyone here arguing about it did. Joe  isn't the leader of the eye poker pack tonight imo, several much more egregious than him, yourself among the leaders.

The Hogs haven't proved anything about anyone other than themselves, and that's they are a very resilient squad that is peaking at the right time, and much/most of that credit goes to their coach. As the old adage goes, listening to much of the rest of the claptrap here just reminds me of two fleas arguing about which one owns the elephant on which they feed.

If you don't care to hear what I think, my suggestion is don't read it, it's not likely to simply vanish

Go Hogs!

LOL.

Guilty of gloating over being in the tournament.

The only reason you see this asinine thread brought back is it's existence was denied.

Here's a clever saying you need to take to heart, when you point your finger at others, you have 3 pointing back at yourself.

So get over yourself.

upperdeck_hawg

Why can't you guys realize that when people were calling for MA's head, it wasn't some knee-jerk reaction to a few games.
The stretch of OKie State, Mizzou, Vandy was the culmination of 5+ years of mediocrity.  Even the most positive hog fans had doubts. We're all glad MA has turned it around this year, but to say he's brought us back is going a bit too far. He's earned a year perhaps two.  I'll continue to cheer on the Hogs and hope MA ushers in an era of sustained success, but given the last 5 years, I'll reserve judgement on whether we're back.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 11:06:03 pm
LOL.

Guilty of gloating over being in the tournament.

The only reason you see this asinine thread brought back is it's existence was denied.

So get over yourself.

Denied by whom?

Hogginintheville

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 04, 2017, 11:07:08 pm
Why can't you guys realize that when people were calling for MA's head, it wasn't some knee-jerk reaction to a few games.
The stretch of OKie State, Mizzou, Vandy was the culmination of 5+ years of mediocrity.  Even the most positive hog fans had doubts. We're all glad MA has turned it around this year, but to say he's brought us back is going a bit too far. He's earned a year perhaps two.  I'll continue to cheer on the Hogs and hope MA ushers in an era of sustained success, but given the last 5 years, I'll reserve judgement on whether we're back.

I agree. Honestly I would have been ok with giving Pelphrey another year. I mean he did have a top 5 class coming in but I was also ok with letting him go because the PTB didn't feel he was getting it done.