Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach?

Started by Ham Sandwich, February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

Still don't have faith that JL can make a competent hire.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Next1_04

A realistic possibility needs an open position to be interested in. At this juncture, this job is filled. So right now i'd say nobody.

Inhogswetrust

February 08, 2017, 02:49:56 pm #102 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:45:35 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2017, 02:24:07 pm
If Arkansas high schools are perceived to be ripe with talent for two to three years, which is rare, our job will be attractive.

But we're still going to need a coach who can go into Texas, Missouri, and/or Louisiana and efficiently pull out some good players to compliment what we have at home. We haven't had a coach like that since Nolan.

Both Eddie and Nolan reached across many state lines to recruit very good players. Both also wanted to sign the very best from inside if they thought they were good enough. Eddie had a rule to try to sign the best inside the state no matter what or how good they were considered nationally every year. Sometimes he was successful at it and sometimes not. I'm not sure if Nolan had a rule like that but he did sign one really, really good one from inside. Both of them also had a few misses recruiting wise as all coaches do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgAdvocate

February 08, 2017, 02:58:35 pm #103 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:25:15 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2017, 02:49:56 pm
Both Eddie and Nolan reached across many state lines to recruit very good players. Both also wanted to sign the very best from in some IUF they thought they were good enough. Eddie had a rule to try to sign the best inside the state no matter what every year. Sometimes he was successful at it and sometimes not. I'm not sure if Nolan had a rule like that but he did sign one really, really good one from inside. Both of them also had a few misses recruiting wise as all coaches do.

To be fair, on my part, Pelphrey did sign some quality out-of-state players in Courtney Fortson, Danny Payne (#1 JUCO), Rotnei Clarke, & Marshawn Powell. Pelphrey had nothing to work with from inside the state though. The best out of AR back then was Mike Sanchez, A.J. Walton, Fred Gulley, Jason Henry, Preston Purifoy, Anthony Borden...the state had little to offer the Hogs during that era.

Imagine if Coach A didn't have AR homegrown talent like Madden, Portis (no Moses), etc. available to him.

Edit - I forgot Welsh was a Heath signee, who ended up being one of the worst off-the-court issues in recent memory.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

1highhog

Is there some really good assistant coach of an NBA team that was a previous nba player that kids today know that everyone on here would agree could be a very good recruiter and make a great College Coach?  I think Bama will end up having a great one when all is said and done.  Any names stand out to anyone?

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2017, 02:58:35 pm
To be fair, on my part, Pelphrey did sign some quality out-of-state players in Courtney Fortson, Danny Payne (#1 JUCO), Rotnei Clarke, Marshawn Powell, and 4* Stef Welsh (it pains me to list Welsh). Pelphrey had nothing to work with from inside the state though. The best out of AR back then was Mike Sanchez, A.J. Walton, Fred Gulley, Jason Henry, Preston Purifoy, Anthony Borden...the state had little to offer the Hogs during that era.

Imagine if Coach A didn't have AR homegrown talent like Madden, Portis (no Moses), etc. available to him.

That is a good point. Pelphrey did not have the in-state recruits to support the program. I thought his coaching job his first year was fantastic. His second year was the most fun I've had at BWA (Texas and OU games). I really thought we had a star. Then Monk got suspended and everything fell apart. Pelphrey started sounding like a lunatic in his press conferences and he had no emotion or fire on the sidelines, plus the constant suspensions and recruiting blunders.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2017, 02:58:35 pm
To be fair, on my part, Pelphrey did sign some quality out-of-state players in Courtney Fortson, Danny Payne (#1 JUCO), Rotnei Clarke, & Marshawn Powell. Pelphrey had nothing to work with from inside the state though. The best out of AR back then was Mike Sanchez, A.J. Walton, Fred Gulley, Jason Henry, Preston Purifoy, Anthony Borden...the state had little to offer the Hogs during that era.

Edit - I forgot Welsh was a Heath signee, who ended up being one of the worst off-the-court issues in recent memory.

Agree Pel didn't have the instate talent pool. He also was trying to fix off the court issues. He also didn't have a commitment facilities wise. He wasn't able to overcome those issues. Why is debatable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 06:47:01 am
Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach? I vote for Iceman... ;)

He does act like he knows more than any coach.. tells us in every post what Mike's doing wrong.. probably a good choice...

knowholesbarred

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 08, 2017, 03:48:05 pm
He does act like he knows more than any coach.. tells us in every post what Mike's doing wrong.. probably a good choice...
If he's always right like he appears to be it would be a no brainer. 100% winning percentage.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Yoko Oinko

"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Yoko Oinko

"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 04:08:24 pm
If he's always right like he appears to be it would be a no brainer. 100% winning percentage.

I'm not a basketball coach. I could never be a head coach. I think I could be an assistant coach.

I thought about coaching as a career, but decided on attorney. But that doesn't mean I can't watch a basketball game, or a team over a stretch of games/years, and know what is wrong.

bosshog84

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 04:18:10 pm
I'm not a basketball coach. I could never be a head coach. I think I could be an assistant coach.

I thought about coaching as a career, but decided on attorney. But that doesn't mean I can't watch a basketball game, or a team over a stretch of games/years, and know what is wrong.
Trust me, I'm with ya. We all think it's easy to be a coach until we actually do it. The same way I thought it was easy to be a ref until I actually started doing it. It's not as easy as it seems. No matter what call you make it will never be the right one. That's why I try not to dog the officials unless it's some obvious stuff going on.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

zuko

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm
If we will spend money we can get a proven guy. We show that we can and will spend the money, so damnit go after somebody who's going to bring excitement.
Who knows what I will be called but who cares:   Bring back John Pelphry

Almost any job, position or direction in life is far more difficult doing than talking about but in the end, hard assed work and some smarts will go a very long way in making you successful, real successful.

As to a new BB coach, first question.  Go directly to the business end.  How much more pure net cash money would a great successful coach bring into the UofA annually.  I mean a Guy who could put us in the tourney annually with 16s regular and 8s and 4s in reach 2 times in every 5 years.  With are very real chance at a NC every 8 to 10 years.  Once that is truthfully answered, let that base your next coach.  I don't have a clue what the answer is.

If that should be an additional 5 million annually, throw 4 million of it toward a top of the top coach.  If that is half a million, then rush to the up and comer.

Playing the big end, add 4 mil to Andersons 2.2 mil currently and we got 6.2 mil to entice a new real top of the line coach.  But he absolutely must earn it.  Set the contract up with first year free pass but second year, we must see written down progress.  Spell it out in the contract.  Load the contract with bonus money.  Put a lot of the contract in something besides salary so the BB coach doesn't pay so much personal tax on it.  Bill Self gets that now, I am told.

5 to 6 mil annually gets you interest from the likes of:::::::::::::::::::::Jamie, Dixon, Tom Crean, Gregg Marshal, Shaka Smart, Scott Drew, Mark Few, and tons of lessors who may be just as good as those listed. 

The deal is don't do the Long method and give away the farm betting on the come.  Nice big salary depending on the clout of the coach, then tons of bonus money that he has to go earn.

hobhog

SMU and Cincinatti seem to have pretty good leadership.

Athog

Quote from: shown006 on February 07, 2017, 09:17:02 pm
I don't think Long can pull off a good hire.  His track record speaks for itself.  MA needs to go...but Long needs to go first.  Hog fans are between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.

No!  Disagree!

3dawghawg

PonderinHog

JonesboroHogFan

Grant McCasland from ASU would be a great hire.  He's won at a very high level everywhere he's been and he's an extremely detailed coach who's players respect him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JonesboroHogFan on February 12, 2017, 09:01:09 pm
Grant McCasland from ASU would be a great hire.  He's won at a very high level everywhere he's been and he's an extremely detailed coach who's players respect him.

Can't envision Long hiring Beard or McCasland.

3dawghawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2017, 08:43:22 pm
Who did he beat? Just Virginia.
#12 team who would have been in 1st place in the ACC had they won. It is a pretty good conference

realistichog

When asked about second half comeback Mike said"we did a better job of not giving up layups", brilliant. Can we get someone smarter than that? However, that's better than "they punkin' you".

Dick Swineberg

Chris Collins of Northwestern.  Has them on track to make the NCAAT for the first time in school history.

Rainmaker203

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2017, 08:43:22 pm
Who did he beat? Just Virginia.

I sure hope this is sarcasm, hard to tell sometimes.  But 'just Virginia'?  The team that has finished 1st, 1st, 2nd in the ACC the last 3 years, and would've been in tied for 1st with a win last night?  The team that has been seeded 1, 2, 1 in the last 3 NCAA Tournaments and Saturday was projected by the NCAA selection committee to be a #3 seed?  Yea, that 'just Virginia'.

Maybe you've been under a rock the last few years, but under Tony Bennett Virginia has become one of the premier programs in the country.

Buzz has done a great job rebuilding a Virginia Tech team that was the ACC doormat when he took over.  I would take him in a heartbeat if I thought he would leave to coach here.

3dawghawg

Quote from: Rainmaker203 on February 13, 2017, 08:51:33 am
I sure hope this is sarcasm, hard to tell sometimes.  But 'just Virginia'?  The team that has finished 1st, 1st, 2nd in the ACC the last 3 years, and would've been in tied for 1st with a win last night?  The team that has been seeded 1, 2, 1 in the last 3 NCAA Tournaments and Saturday was projected by the NCAA selection committee to be a #3 seed?  Yea, that 'just Virginia'.

Maybe you've been under a rock the last few years, but under Tony Bennett Virginia has become one of the premier programs in the country.

Buzz has done a great job rebuilding a Virginia Tech team that was the ACC doormat when he took over.  I would take him in a heartbeat if I thought he would leave to coach here.
Agree 100%

bvillepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 07, 2017, 10:13:39 pm
Here in lies the  problem.. we have delusional fans.. Bill Self is dying to be a Razorback.. Greg Marshall will come, no problem.. we could get Calapari. just ask him... nobody with any name is coming to Arkansas.. it has become a place to come and get fired..

We'll end up with the next up and comer.. and start over again.. and if and when it comes to that, I'll support and hope for the best..

Very well said.

3kgthog

You don't want one from the Coach K tree. As soon as K retires (which may be in less than 5 years) we'd stand a 85-95% chance of losing our coach to Duke. Do you want to start over in 5 years or less? Think long term. 

The first thing we need to NOT do is think throwing money at it will fix the problem. All the big money coaches would be making a lateral move to come here. This isn't SEC football where we'll pull a Bielema from a very successful P5 school that has tradition. So, scratch off Wright and the like. Especially scratch off Few as a non-P5 since he was vocally against us for firing Nolan. That guy knows he's got it easy at Gonzaga anyway. Regular season kings but postseason princesses. Pass.

Think sustained mid-major success stories or guys that have turned around P5 programs that are non-traditional powerhouses. That's our sweet spot since Frank and White blew our one shot at replacing Nolan with another future HOFer. We had name recognition then. We don't have that anymore if we're being honest with ourselves.

3dawghawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 13, 2017, 09:28:28 am
You don't want one from the Coach K tree. As soon as K retires (which may be in less than 5 years) we'd stand a 85-95% chance of losing our coach to Duke. Do you want to start over in 5 years or less? Think long term. 

The first thing we need to NOT do is think throwing money at it will fix the problem. All the big money coaches would be making a lateral move to come here. This isn't SEC football where we'll pull a Bielema from a very successful P5 school that has tradition. So, scratch off Wright and the like. Especially scratch off Few as a non-P5 since he was vocally against us for firing Nolan. That guy knows he's got it easy at Gonzaga anyway. Regular season kings but postseason princesses. Pass.

Think sustained mid-major success stories or guys that have turned around P5 programs that are non-traditional powerhouses. That's our sweet spot since Frank and White blew our one shot at replacing Nolan with another future HOFer. We had name recognition then. We don't have that anymore if we're being honest with ourselves.

Would you consider Archie or Buzz out of reach?

1highhog

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm
If we will spend money we can get a proven guy. We show that we can and will spend the money, so damnit go after somebody who's going to bring excitement.

Anybody will want to come here and get paid 2 1/2 mil. to 3 million to have the same performance as MA for 6 seasons, that's gravy for any Coach.

Kevin

coaching is all about preparation. that is the most important aspect .

preparation is what do you do with players april to October to get them better.
preparation is reviewing your year, and make adjustments in your program. no program does the same thing every year. most programs are going to add or delete some thing.

if you as a coach is prepared and you have your team prepared, the games are easy to coach.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

zuko

Quote from: shown006 on February 07, 2017, 09:17:02 pm
I don't think Long can pull off a good hire.  His track record speaks for itself.  MA needs to go...but Long needs to go first.  Hog fans are between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.
Amen to that

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2017, 02:49:56 pm
Both Eddie and Nolan reached across many state lines to recruit very good players. Both also wanted to sign the very best from inside if they thought they were good enough. Eddie had a rule to try to sign the best inside the state no matter what or how good they were considered nationally every year. Sometimes he was successful at it and sometimes not. I'm not sure if Nolan had a rule like that but he did sign one really, really good one from inside. Both of them also had a few misses recruiting wise as all coaches do.

Basketball was not a big deal nationally most of the time Eddie was here and some of his best recruits were JUCOs that are much harder to get than they are today because of academic reasons. He did have a pipeline to Chicago though.

Our NC team had Corey Beck, Dwight Stewart, Roger Crawford, and Al Dillard who were all JUCOs. That's nearly half the rotation.

Atlhogfan1

http://prensariotiretail.com/2017/02/14/nc-state-to-fire-mark-gottfried-after-the-season.html

"Per the report, the decision was made over the weekend, and the Wolfpack has already put out "preliminary feelers" to Dayton head coach Archie Miller."

Archie getting pursued.

Slater says Mike was mentioned as a possible candidate.  Don't get your hopes up.  More Nutt era deja vu.  "Just get on the plane to Nebraska Houston.  Someone push him on!"
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ironhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 11:39:24 pm
http://prensariotiretail.com/2017/02/14/nc-state-to-fire-mark-gottfried-after-the-season.html

"Per the report, the decision was made over the weekend, and the Wolfpack has already put out "preliminary feelers" to Dayton head coach Archie Miller."

Archie getting pursued.

Slater says Mike was mentioned as a possible candidate.  Don't get your hopes up.  More Nutt era deja vu.  "Just get on the plane to Nebraska Houston.  Someone push him on!"

Who is Mike's agent I wonder?  Sexton?

biglewhog77

Let's keep what we got and build on what we have plan and simple

IUHog

I've seen Tom crean's name on this tread several times. Please no, all style no tactics or team building.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 11:39:24 pm

Archie getting pursued.

Yes the MSM lives on...2 year pass
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

NoogaHog

Quote from: IUHog on February 14, 2017, 11:12:19 am
I've seen Tom crean's name on this tread several times. Please no, all style no tactics or team building.

It is apparently looking like he won't survive at Indiana. But he seems like more of the same. We already have underachieving and excuses. Crean would not be a step up.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hawg Red

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 14, 2017, 12:06:56 pm
It is apparently looking like he won't survive at Indiana. But he seems like more of the same. We already have underachieving and excuses. Crean would not be a step up.

Indiana went to the Sweet 16 last year....

Crean has taken the Hoosiers to the Sweet 16 3 times in 9 seasons. His first 3 years were rough because of the mess Sampson made up there. That was a true mess with NCAA sanctions levied. Also, the Big 10 has been a better basketball conference the SEC that entire time. Crean could thrive in the SEC.

SWarkansasman

Come on people, your next coach is Mike Anderson as long as he wants to be

Sivad

GuvHog

Quote from: 3dawghawg on February 13, 2017, 09:47:20 am
Would you consider Archie or Buzz out of reach?

The U of A would have to offer them 3 to 4 million a year to even have a shot at getting them and I don't see the them spending that kind of money to hire a basketball coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

root_hawg

Well in 3 years if he hasnt done anything then we will know who to look at

Rooster Hogburn

Tim jankovich is da man. He can do it better than most. I'd be happy. That's a good thing.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

NoogaHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 12:24:32 pm
Indiana went to the Sweet 16 last year....

Crean has taken the Hoosiers to the Sweet 16 3 times in 9 seasons. His first 3 years were rough because of the mess Sampson made up there. That was a true mess with NCAA sanctions levied. Also, the Big 10 has been a better basketball conference the SEC that entire time. Crean could thrive in the SEC.

He went to the Sweet 16 last year when he had to coach like his hair was on fire. He almost lost his job after the 2014-15 season. This year they are 15-11 overall 5-8 in the B1G. Tied for 9th in a conference with only 1 top 20 RPI team (Purdue #19). All this at a supposed "Blue Blood".

The B1G average RPI right now is 62. SEC's is 63 if you take out Mizzou's 245 outlier. (76 with Mizzou).

Underachiever. No thanks. We already have one.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

ShadowHawg

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins