Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach?

Started by Ham Sandwich, February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Sandwich

If we will spend money we can get a proven guy. We show that we can and will spend the money, so damnit go after somebody who's going to bring excitement.

hobhog

Lots of options. Don't panic and make right call at any cost.

ADavisTheGOAT

I'll take anybody from the Big East, Archie Miller, Gregg Marshall, or Fred Hoiberg after he's canned from Chicago.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

KentuckyFan

The problem is, you may be competing against jobs like Indiana or Ohio State.

Archie Miller of Dayton should be THE name, assuming Gregg Marshall isn't listening to offers.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 07, 2017, 09:05:46 pm
I'll take anybody from the Big East, Archie Miller, Gregg Marshall, or Fred Hoiberg after he's canned from Chicago.

I like all of those guys. I'd throw in Chris Mack, too. I'm sure there are others I haven't thought about.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on February 07, 2017, 09:13:47 pm
I like all of those guys. I'd throw in Chris Mack, too. I'm sure there are others I haven't thought about.

Chris Mack is a Cincinnati guy so probably not going anywhere. If Archie leaves Dayton it will be for a Big Ten job but probably not Ohio State.

shown006

I don't think Long can pull off a good hire.  His track record speaks for itself.  MA needs to go...but Long needs to go first.  Hog fans are between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.
WPS!

WorfHog

Quote from: KentuckyFan on February 07, 2017, 09:07:20 pm
The problem is, you may be competing against jobs like Indiana or Ohio State.

Archie Miller of Dayton should be THE name, assuming Gregg Marshall isn't listening to offers.

I'd hire Tom Crean if Indiana is dumb enough to make a move.

Hogginintheville

root_hawg

Wardhog85

How about Chris Beard? Can he be lured away from Ttech? Underwood at OSU would be a great hire.

hobhog

Broyles was great at researching and going behind the scenes. This loss will at least get Long on his toes, won't it?

Hogginintheville

hawgwild child

Archie Miller. Hes about to make his 4 straight tournament appearance and doeant even make more than 700,000 at Dayton.   If we do get him someone else will gladly take him

Mr. Porkleone

Knot2brite

The problem is that this job has lost some of its luster...facilities ...yeah ok....conference...not so much the draw...tradition...very good. The problem is that there are better jobs about to come open. Maybe even easier jobs. We would have to find a young guy that has a good reputation and a great work ethic to make it work...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 07, 2017, 09:40:57 pm
Archie Miller. Hes about to make his 4 straight tournament appearance and doeant even make more than 700,000 at Dayton.   If we do get him someone else will gladly take him
I'd love to have his brother but I will settle for Archie.

maxhog5

Archie Miller or Tom Crean if Indiana fires him.  I think we are a year late to grab an up and comer.  Cuonzo Martin.  I know a lot of people will hate that choice, but he gets us into St. Louis and should at least have some Memphis contacts.  I really think he got shafted at Tennessee and Long would need to take a long look at how the boosters will take to him since they didn't in Knoxville.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: hobhog on February 07, 2017, 09:36:00 pm
Broyles was great at researching and going behind the scenes. This loss will at least get Long on his toes, won't it?

No. Jeff is not looking at the same stats and criteria that we are when considering Mike's tenure here.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: rob99SS on February 07, 2017, 09:48:07 pm
Throw the bank at Gregg Marshall, Fred Hoiberg and Archie Miller. If they say no, Chris Beard would be a good option.

I'm not sold on Beard. He seems like the next Heath.

maxhog5

I just don't think Marshall will come here.  Wichita St is paying him with an armored car and I think he is holding out for Coach K's back to quit on him.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: shown006 on February 07, 2017, 09:17:02 pm
I don't think Long can pull off a good hire.  His track record speaks for itself.  MA needs to go...but Long needs to go first.  Hog fans are between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.
I'm not a fan of long, but he hasn't done a bad job of hiring coaches.  The ones he hired haven't panned out, but they had a pretty good resume when getting hired on. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hawg Red

Many will consider him unrealistic, but I'm not convinced Gregg Marshall is out of the question. He will move on from Wichita State at some point. Maybe he's ready now and he wasn't before.

Just go after the big names that might be ready for a bigger conference or might be coming in from the pro game and then check down to the young-and-comers.

Hogs-n-Roses

Do u really want Jeff long making any more hires for us?

maxhog5

Long had to hire Anderson and Bielema looked like a home run at the time.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Rainmaker203

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 07, 2017, 09:53:30 pm
Many will consider him unrealistic, but I'm not convinced Gregg Marshall is out of the question. He will move on from Wichita State at some point. Maybe he's ready now and he wasn't before.

Just go after the big names that might be ready for a bigger conference or might be coming in from the pro game and then check down to the young-and-comers.

Marshall gets paid $3.3 Million per year at Wichita State.  He is the 9th highest paid coach in the country.  Throw in almost unlimited job security, and he has it absolutely made right now.

He has heavy ties to the Carolinas.  There are probably only 2 schools that he would leave Wichita for at this point:  Duke and UNC. 

odannyk

The_Iceman

With the money we have with the SEC revenue, we can offer $4 million for the right coach, but more likely $3 Million is the amount we can start with.

hogsmash12

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rainmaker203 on February 07, 2017, 09:58:55 pm
Marshall gets paid $3.3 Million per year at Wichita State.  He is the 9th highest paid coach in the country.  Throw in almost unlimited job security, and he has it absolutely made right now.

He has heavy ties to the Carolinas.  There are probably only 2 schools that he would leave Wichita for at this point:  Duke and UNC.

May be. But you still try. No one here knows what he's thinking. What we see from the outside may not be what he sees.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 07, 2017, 10:07:56 pm
May be. But you still try. No one here knows what he's thinking. What we see from the outside may not be what he sees.

He wants nada to do with the SEC's/Arkansas' academic requirements. We can offer him nothing that he doesn't already have. Sharing revenue/clout with a football program isn't even a blip on his radar.

IMO.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Dominicanhog

Here in lies the  problem.. we have delusional fans.. Bill Self is dying to be a Razorback.. Greg Marshall will come, no problem.. we could get Calapari. just ask him... nobody with any name is coming to Arkansas.. it has become a place to come and get fired..

We'll end up with the next up and comer.. and start over again.. and if and when it comes to that, I'll support and hope for the best..

hulk hog

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 07, 2017, 09:46:12 pm
The problem is that this job has lost some of its luster...facilities ...yeah ok....conference...not so much the draw...tradition...very good. The problem is that there are better jobs about to come open. Maybe even easier jobs. We would have to find a young guy that has a good reputation and a great work ethic to make it work...
I disagree. This is at least a top 25 job.  There is still a lot to offer. We are still high in attendance even with little to show for it in 20 years. We are 21st in revenue. We have solid facilities and a great fan following.  Plus the conference is very winnable with Kentucky the only true power and there are some good recruits in the state coming up.   Indiana would be better because of tradition but I think we can stand against any other job coming open. 

We need a high energy guy who can relate to today's game/players and has something to prove.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

widespreadsooie

We are not getting Greg Marshall or Archie Miller, those guys are getting jobs with top tier programs their next move. Tom Crean getting fired from IU would be huge. Maybe he entertains an easy bounce back in the watered down SEC for the right price. Other than those guys, I would expect the unexpected (see Bielema).

hobhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 07, 2017, 10:20:16 pm
We are not getting Greg Marshall or Archie Miller, those guys are getting jobs with top tier programs their next move. Tom Crean getting fired from IU would be huge. Maybe he entertains an easy bounce back in the watered down SEC for the right price. Other than those guys, I would expect the unexpected (see Bielema).

They were not highly desirable candidates before they turned their programs around. They are out there.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 07, 2017, 10:13:39 pm
Here in lies the  problem.. we have delusional fans.. Bill Self is dying to be a Razorback.. Greg Marshall will come, no problem.. we could get Calapari. just ask him... nobody with any name is coming to Arkansas.. it has become a place to come and get fired..

We'll end up with the next up and comer.. and start over again.. and if and when it comes to that, I'll support and hope for the best..

I agree that Mike is dragging the product down, but it is time to take a chance even if it is an up and comer. It would give the fans more hope than a has been
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

widespreadsooie

Quote from: hobhog on February 07, 2017, 10:22:16 pm
They were not highly desirable candidates before they turned their programs around. They are out there.

I really hope so but don't see it.

Hawg Red

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 07, 2017, 09:46:12 pm

I here what u are saying some, but our facilities are top 10 with the addition of the new basketball facility. Here's another thing I think people don't realize as much. Arkansas basketball talent is completely different level as Arkansas football talent. In football you bring in about 25 guys a season. Basketball you bring in about 4. The state of Arkansas produces about 3-5 solid SEC level football players a year and about 8-10 D1 players a year, that's about 20% of the SEC level of what's needed a class. Arkansas produces about 2 ACC/BigEast talent basketball players a year and about 2 more that are probably SEC level or just under, that's about 50% of top talent u need a class.

It's extremely easier to recruit top level basketball talent to Arkansas than football talent. If u can grab the top two players in the state most years, you will have elite talent level on your basketball team.

Being that the SEC overall is down in basketball recently, should make the job a little sexier than going to say an Oklahoma that has to play Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas, etc every year.

If we totally collapse and lose say 5 or more the rest of the regular season and finish under .500 in the SEC, then I think there will be a decent chance in CMA losing his job.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: root_hawg on February 07, 2017, 09:27:45 pm
Wait for a few more years and then start this thread

Clueless. This season is going to get uglier. The next 3 games look like loses right now. The next 2 for sure.

hobhog

I think we will hire an improvement. This is Long's chance.

hogcam

I would throw all my money at Greg Marshall..id try and get Archie Miller when he said no. And then if he said no, I'd try and get Chris beard

3dawghawg

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 07, 2017, 10:35:36 pm
Will Wade is a realistic name.

Interesting he's 34 the same age as me. He has got a baby face on his photos but he wins.... What's his style HogRed?

Atlhogfan1

As I said in the other coach thread, the only thing I could see pushing Marshall to leave is the MVC now that Creighton left.  It isn't what it once was.  They will struggle to get an at large bid this year.

Buzz would be interesting.  Would he bail on his building effort at VT to get out of that bloodbath in the ACC? 

Would a Chris Holtmann want to take a very different job than the one he is at now?  Great conference, great basketball culture.

We missed an opportunity with Underwood.

Lot of good coaches out there.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigE_23

Quote from: 3dawghawg on February 08, 2017, 12:00:18 am
Would Buzz Williams be a possibility

6 years ago, sure...but why now? What has he done lately? Not really setting the world on fire at Va Tech

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BigE_23 on February 08, 2017, 12:09:02 am
6 years ago, sure...but why now? What has he done lately? Not really setting the world on fire at Va Tech

He is in his 3rd season...at Virginia Tech...in the ACC.

11-22 to 20-15(10-8 in ACC) and NIT to 16-6 (5-5 in ACC)  - You don't get schedule breaks in the ACC.  You get exposed for what you are there.  VT is a tough basketball job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.