Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zhaire Smith

Started by skinnypig, March 06, 2017, 06:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Pinto on March 25, 2017, 06:55:25 am
I disagree with a few things you said here. He would have a GREAT chance to start here because we really lack depth at the 3 spot. And he would play against less competition if he went to Texas? How? Lol

I'm not sure I see the lack of depth that you're talking about, especially the lineups Mike likes.

Next year we have Barford, Macon, Beard, Glasper, Jones, Garland, and Hall. That's 7 guys for a 3 guard rotation. In the following year, we will replace our seniors with Sills and Joe.

I would say going forward Jones, Garland, and Hall have the inside track to the "3" spot.

Pinto

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 27, 2017, 09:49:53 am
I'm not sure I see the lack of depth that you're talking about, especially the lineups Mike likes.

Next year we have Barford, Macon, Beard, Glasper, Jones, Garland, and Hall. That's 7 guys for a 3 guard rotation. In the following year, we will replace our seniors with Sills and Joe.

I would say going forward Jones, Garland, and Hall have the inside track to the "3" spot.

That's fake depth. Beard is average at best and Glasper, Jones, Garland and Hall are all unknowns. Zhaire is a way better candidate at the 3 than Garland is and he is a better player than Hall is...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 27, 2017, 02:57:03 pm
That's fake depth. Beard is average at best and Glasper, Jones, Garland and Hall are all unknowns. Zhaire is a way better candidate at the 3 than Garland is and he is a better player than Hall is...

How can you make that statement? I'm not saying you are wrong, but how can you say Zhaire is better than Hall or Garland?

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2017, 04:01:42 pm
How can you make that statement? I'm not saying you are wrong, but how can you say Zhaire is better than Hall or Garland?

The same way you assume they are better than Smith, by watching. Obviously, It's just an opinion.

azhog10

Hall will start from day 1. I've seen Smith and no one is ready to play in all facets from day 1 as Hall.

Pinto

Quote from: azhog10 on March 27, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
Hall will start from day 1. I've seen Smith and no one is ready to play in all facets from day 1 as Hall.

I disagree. Smith is more versatile than Hall. He has my bet to win that spot if he signs here

HossHog

Let's be honest none of us know who is better or who will start over here.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2017, 02:28:52 am
His player card isn't updated for some reason. If you check the top 150 rankings, you'll see him as a 4-star. This confused me too.

Oh wow.  Good stuff!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 27, 2017, 08:39:54 pm
I disagree. Smith is more versatile than Hall. He has my bet to win that spot if he signs here

The aspects  Smith is better than Hall is pure athleticism, and as a result defense. Hall is a better ball handler, shooter, and passer.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2017, 09:54:46 pm
The aspects  Smith is better than Hall is pure athleticism, and as a result defense. Hall is a better ball handler, shooter, and passer.

Disagree again

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2017, 09:54:46 pm

Smith is pretty dang good shooter who scored at all 3 levels in the full games I have watched.

What Hall has on EVERY incoming guy is leadership ability, highest motor, and seems mature for his age. Those intangibles are what makes me believe that he will contribute a lot to next year's team.

Pinto

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 27, 2017, 11:35:56 pm
Smith is pretty dang good shooter who scored at all 3 levels in the full games I have watched.

What Hall has on EVERY incoming guy is leadership ability, highest motor, and seems mature for his age. Those intangibles are what makes me believe that he will contribute a lot to next year's team.

This I can agree on even though Zhaire's motor is pretty intense. Him and Hall will be some of the best glass crashing wings in the SEC if things play out accordingly

Big Nasty 34

We can debate the legitimacy of the depth at another time, but I think we can agree that a point guard or true big man is more important than a wing player. We need a PG to help bridge the gap between our seniors next year and Justice. Also, need a big to be able to back up Gafford in the future, allowing Gafford and Perry to play together a lot.

As much as we would love a legit wing player that's 6'5+, Mike has shown that he has no problems playing 3 smaller combo guards. So, we have plenty of guys to fill in those 3 guard spots without Smith at this time.

Pinto

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 28, 2017, 09:38:56 am
We can debate the legitimacy of the depth at another time, but I think we can agree that a point guard or true big man is more important than a wing player. We need a PG to help bridge the gap between our seniors next year and Justice. Also, need a big to be able to back up Gafford in the future, allowing Gafford and Perry to play together a lot.

As much as we would love a legit wing player that's 6'5+, Mike has shown that he has no problems playing 3 smaller combo guards. So, we have plenty of guys to fill in those 3 guard spots without Smith at this time.

I agree but we don't need to reach on a below average player at those positions. We have to go after the best available player this late in the recruiting season and Zhaire is that player.

NWAHog479

I'll take the best player we can get any day of the week. Wish we would go after some of these uncommitted top-100 kids and throw the kitchen sink at them.

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 28, 2017, 10:21:50 am
I'll take the best player we can get any day of the week. Wish we would go after some of these uncommitted top-100 kids and throw the kitchen sink at them.

Those top 100 kids are already getting the kitchen sink thrown at them from elite programs this late into the recruiting process..

The_Bionic_Pig

Why are you guy's including Garland in competition at the 3 when he is wanting to play PG position.

Yes he's athletic & big enough to be a SF but his focus is on the 1
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 28, 2017, 04:37:28 pm
Why are you guy's including Garland in competition at the 3 when he is wanting to play PG position.

Yes he's athletic & big enough to be a SF but his focus is on the 1

Because Mike has zero issues rolling 3 combo guards out there. A lineup of Sills, Joe, and Garland would have Garland at the "3." Also, Garland isn't a great shooter, but rather more of a slasher it seems, so that would translate to a 3.

I hope to goodness he can play the 1. Put a lineup of he, Jones, and Hall out there and we have elite length. Hopefully, this isn't a Ky Madden experiment.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 29, 2017, 11:42:37 am
Because Mike has zero issues rolling 3 combo guards out there. A lineup of Sills, Joe, and Garland would have Garland at the "3." Also, Garland isn't a great shooter, but rather more of a slasher it seems, so that would translate to a 3.

I hope to goodness he can play the 1. Put a lineup of he, Jones, and Hall out there and we have elite length. Hopefully, this isn't a Ky Madden experiment.

Garland played off the ball / on the wing way too much this year for Parkview, and I think that's why that team lost 6 games. Everything should have run through Garland, IMO. Not knocking Coach Flanigan, he's a legend and a great coach. Just sayin', based on the 16 or so Parkview games I saw this season, the Patriots were at their best when Garland was the primary handler. One thing I've noticed about Coach Flanigan, and ultimately I think this is a positive, is that he's about player development and using a lot of different personnel groupings and rotations, moreso then just giving his best players the reigns and letting them take over. He's won a lot of games and titles doing it his way, so again not knocking him, but I would have run everything through Garland.

Having said all that, Garland will be able to play all 3 backcourt positions at Arkansas. Initially, he might play more 2 and 3, but I think he could end being Ky-Madden-esque, except with more athleticism and superior finishing ability.

Hog_Swanson

Has this kid picked a school yet?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 29, 2017, 03:03:40 pm
Has this kid picked a school yet?

No, but a decision is expected within the next week or so.

FarmingtonFan

Didn't Smith take an unofficial visit to Arkansas and said at the time he would be taking an official visit?

ricepig

Quote from: FarmingtonFan on March 29, 2017, 06:14:50 pm
Didn't Smith take an unofficial visit to Arkansas and said at the time he would be taking an official visit?

Reported tonight that he is going to GA Tech April 7th, depending on how that goes, we may get another unofficial.

FarmingtonFan

May be reading too much into that. It doesn't sound great for us by him possibly taking another unofficial visit.

ricepig

Quote from: FarmingtonFan on March 29, 2017, 09:51:11 pm
May be reading too much into that. It doesn't sound great for us by him possibly taking another unofficial visit.

I'd say it reads pretty dire on our chances.

batmanfan

"As the Zaire Turns.."
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Hawg Red

The longer this goes on, the less it sounds good for the Hogs. Still holding out hope. But if we don't get Zhaire, come on down, Mladen Armus.

Kevin McPherson

March 30, 2017, 08:33:40 am #227 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:47:49 am by HOGdayafternoon
Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 09:40:00 pm
Reported tonight that he is going to GA Tech April 7th, depending on how that goes, we may get another unofficial.

Zhaire told me earlier in the week he was rescheduling his official visit to Texas Tech (which he missed last weekend) for the weekend of April 7-9. Apparently, that has now changed to GaTech?

This happens all the time in recruiting. A recent example was Victor Enoh, who changed his final 5 teams several times in the last 2-3 weeks leading up to November early signing period, and he cancelled or changed his announced visits mutltiple times during that span as well.

Kevin McPherson

LATEST UPDATE FROM ZHAIRE SMITH (8:44 a.m., Thurs., March 30) ... Smith just messaged me that he is taking his OV to Texas Tech on April 7, and his GaTech visit on April 14.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 30, 2017, 08:46:12 am
LATEST UPDATE FROM ZHAIRE SMITH (8:44 a.m., Thurs., March 30) ... Smith just messaged me that he is taking his OV to Texas Tech on April 7, and his GaTech visit on April 14.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/847449442311471104

batmanfan

I hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in a basket with this guy at this point.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 30, 2017, 09:06:42 am
https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/847449442311471104

Dang so now we will have to wait even longer and our chances are dwindling. I'm going to move on now.

Hawg Red

Get on the Mladen Armus train, guys. Solid big man, fits a need. I'm sure the staff will go harder after Gabe Osabuohien, but I really think Armus is the add to make right now. Get Armus and then go hard after Rod Brown for 2018.

HawgTide

NWAHog479

Thanks but no thanks Zhaire... Texas, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech or Arkansas... Which team made the tourney this year?

navyhog24

March 30, 2017, 09:58:18 am #235 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:47:05 am by navyhog24
Quote from: Hawg Red on March 30, 2017, 09:18:17 am
Get on the Mladen Armus train, guys. Solid big man, fits a need. I'm sure the staff will go harder after Gabe Osabuohien, but I really think Armus is the add to make right now. Get Armus and then go hard after Rod Brown for 2018.

I'd rather they do that anyways. Smith looks like a good player, but we have bigger needs in a PG or big. We can get away with no PG with having combo guards. Getting a big should be our top priority.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 30, 2017, 09:18:17 am

Can you tell me about this guy?  Any videos?

navyhog24

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 03, 2017, 05:15:19 pm
Moving on?  Mutual decision?

I think he's only seriously considering schools that have a major need at the 3 where he can get a lot of PT

azhog10

Smith is a great recruit but not an area of need. We need a PG and a big. I would hope we use whatever schollies left on those positions.

Razorback Mac

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 03, 2017, 08:44:17 pm
Agreed, but I assume coaches just felt he was the best overall player and would add depth and length, would help in pressing. Unfortunately seems like he wants to go somewhere that needs more help immediately. Hopefully it's not Texas. With the recent offer to PG Francisco and communication with Darrington , it seems like that's the direction they're leaning towards. A freshman would be nice to be able to develop behind a lot of seniors next year and mesh with other incoming freshman. but a good JUCO guy in Darrington would be beneficial as well because he would add experience. Wouldn't be needed as impact player next year with seniors controlling back court, but could take over following year as a senior with a lot of youth on the roster.
Sylvain Francisco was offered almost a year ago.. He's now probably Juco bound.

azhog10

Quote from: Razorback Mac on April 03, 2017, 08:57:01 pm
Sylvain Francisco was offered almost a year ago.. He's now probably Juco bound.
I was about to say the same. I imagine if we offer a PG it's a grad transfer or JUCO. The big could be freshman to grad transfer.

HogFoo

Do we still need a PG though if Justice Hill reclassifies and graduates with other guys in that 18' class?  I liked the idea of Zhaire Smith coming in because he was very athletic and if I remember correctly fits that 6'3-6-5' ish guy that can jump out the gym and be a great defender.  Nolan always tried to get as many of those guys as he could.  Play good defense, deflect balls, block balls, then get the deflection and go dunk it.    Hopefully he could develop into a great offensive weapon.     Of course when I think that scenario I always think of Rick pitino and his way of thinking.  He always said that he would rather have a great shooter and then teach them defense rather than a great defender and then try to teach them to shoot.  I cant say that I don't disagree with that way of thinking either.  ANyways, not gonna worry about it.  Coaches will get who they can to come.  wps.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

azhog10

Quote from: HogFoo on April 03, 2017, 10:07:16 pm
Do we still need a PG though if Justice Hill reclassifies and graduates with other guys in that 18' class?  I liked the idea of Zhaire Smith coming in because he was very athletic and if I remember correctly fits that 6'3-6-5' ish guy that can jump out the gym and be a great defender.  Nolan always tried to get as many of those guys as he could.  Play good defense, deflect balls, block balls, then get the deflection and go dunk it.    Hopefully he could develop into a great offensive weapon.     Of course when I think that scenario I always think of Rick pitino and his way of thinking.  He always said that he would rather have a great shooter and then teach them defense rather than a great defender and then try to teach them to shoot.  I cant say that I don't disagree with that way of thinking either.  ANyways, not gonna worry about it.  Coaches will get who they can to come.  wps.
We need a pg and big now. I saw grab a grad transfer bc you have Hill reclassifying.

Hawg Red

With the realization that Zhaire Smith is probably not going to be a Hog, I've lost probably all enthusiasm for this final spot. Probably because we just aren't pursuing anyone else very hard, it seems. I'd like to see the staff go toward Mladen Armus, but I doubt they will. I just think it'd be good to get a big man in the system now. We probably wouldn't need Armus (or a potential big man) much this coming season, but it'd be nice to have a player with some D1 playing experience for the next season. I'm less concerned about signing a PG for 2017, but a JUCO would make sense. Would need them to get some minutes, though, and the backcourt looks full.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2017, 09:19:54 am
With the realization that Zhaire Smith is probably not going to be a Hog, I've lost probably all enthusiasm for this final spot. Probably because we just aren't pursuing anyone else very hard, it seems. I'd like to see the staff go toward Mladen Armus, but I doubt they will. I just think it'd be good to get a big man in the system now. We probably wouldn't need Armus (or a potential big man) much this coming season, but it'd be nice to have a player with some D1 playing experience for the next season. I'm less concerned about signing a PG for 2017, but a JUCO would make sense. Would need them to get some minutes, though, and the backcourt looks full.

I'm pretty demoralized about the whole Zhaire Smith fall off as well. But who knows, we could still be in the race. I'm just not investing much emotions in hopes of getting him any more

navyhog24

I'm all for taking Chris Darrington at this point unless they prefer a big instead

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on April 04, 2017, 09:46:49 am
I'm pretty demoralized about the whole Zhaire Smith fall off as well. But who knows, we could still be in the race. I'm just not investing much emotions in hopes of getting him any more

I'm going to try to stay positive. I always try to remind myself that we signed Coty Clarke in May. There could be a guy out there that we don't even know of yet that will be a good player for us. It just sucks to not really hear about any definite targets. Good thing is that we aren't relying on a signing right now.

ShadowHawg

Not sold Armus. Big men who aren't dominant at the hs level need to at least be athletic.

I would rather save it than give it to another Shaun Davis. He isn't going to get in the rotation next season unless he makes a huge leap and then the following season it's hard to imagine that he is going to unseat Gafford or Perry for big minutes.

Go find a juco big next season or land a transfer this year and balance the roster a little.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 04, 2017, 10:12:55 am
Not sold Armus. Big men who aren't dominant at the hs level need to at least be athletic.

I would rather save it than give it to another Shaun Davis. He isn't going to get in the rotation next season unless he makes a huge leap and then the following season it's hard to imagine that he is going to unseat Gafford or Perry for big minutes.

Go find a juco big next season or land a transfer this year and balance the roster a little.

What is "dominant" at the high school level?

If you saw Trey Thompson play in high school, would you say he was dominant? I wouldn't. I know Armus picked up a bunch of double doubles against some very good prep competition. Could use a workman-type big man for depth. Why does he need to unseat Gafford or Perry for "big minutes?"